Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

selecting opt 1 is being nice to those for whom 200 is larger than or a significant fraction of what they have tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Well this sure isn't a loving surprise in the slightest

Is the PC losing touch?

quote:

So I was surprised to see a report today coming out of Taiwan (where most of the world’s laptops are made) stating that touchscreen laptops will be phased out. The technology news site DigiTimes reported that orders for new clamshell laptops with touchscreen have “disappeared completely.”

It's like people actually use things in the manner that makes the most sense for their form factor, holy poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

idk what ur referring to but its more likely he sucked and was terrible because hes neil young.
he said the tar sands are bad for the environment. tar sand boosters had to reconcile their love of classic rock with their love of the tar money which allows them to enjoy middle-class incomes without getting an education. [it also gives them an excuse to ignore their wives and children for weeks at a time.] the money won out in the end. it was fun to watch.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 2, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

touchscreen laptops have always been a terrible idea

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

st Steve hallowed be his name was right again

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

wouldn't option 1 make you poorer in terms of purchasing power than you would be had you rejected both options

now imagine if that was usd valuations of bitcoin

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

qirex posted:

i can only imagine a cube farm full of office workers, arms suspended 8" above their desk, poking away at their screens, praying for death

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Remicks posted:

i can only imagine a cube farm full of office workers, arms suspended 8" above their desk, poking away at their screens, praying for death

you add a dubstep soundtrack and this is basically a surface ad

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

you add a dubstep soundtrack and this is basically a surface ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQ03mfV5ms

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

duTrieux. posted:

no, because the money in question isn't being Created

if its some rich guy giving me a 100 and 200 each to the rest of the world i am hella for it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Intel required a touchscreen to qualify for its ultrabook program, which gave you some discounts on processors and marketing help. nobody from the oems wanted to do it, Intel pretty much twisted their arm.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
is that why we saw a whole spate of them when win 8 launched? like, the starship enterprise one?

how bad would it be to work for dell or whoever and know what you're producing is poo poo that will flop but have to do it anyway.

also wtf would intel care about touchscreens how does that favour them in any way?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

is that why we saw a whole spate of them when win 8 launched? like, the starship enterprise one?

how bad would it be to work for dell or whoever and know what you're producing is poo poo that will flop but have to do it anyway.

also wtf would intel care about touchscreens how does that favour them in any way?

ultrabooks compete with macbooks, intel's convinced ticking off more boxes on the feature list is the way to beat the macbook air, and they figured touch was going to be the Next Big Thing so they went all-in because they thought they were finally showing enough innovation to beat apple to a trend

microsoft did the exact same thing with windows 8. hotshot execs who never have to do any real work, getting the idea into their heads that touchscreen laptops are the way of the future and putting all their chips in that pot without bothering to do any usability testing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
basically Microsoft and Intel were feeling the heat from tablets and the death of netbooks and were desperate to make make ultrabooks and windows 8 metro a thing to revitalize sales

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I enjoy the ads for hp's shitbooks that instead of comparing it to an ipad air, they compare it to pen and paper and they look identical to microsoft's ads

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

??

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
is there a word for "a product which everybody assumes everybody else wants but nobody actually wants"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qntm posted:

is there a word for "a product which everybody assumes everybody else wants but nobody actually wants"

a piece of poo poo

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
no because that only covers the second part

i'm thinking more "smartwatch"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wearable tech is the dumbest

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

neil young sucks

wrong again fucker

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qntm posted:

there should be

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
yeah this neil young trolling has gone far enough. neil young is amazing

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

also why does intel want to kill thunderbolt? why don't they put it on any windows laptops?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
neil young is terrible. what you guys are probably thinking of as good is csny which is good despite the neil young

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blackula69 posted:

yeah this neil young trolling has gone far enough. neil young is amazing

he's an amazing musician. as a technological product designer, not so much

but it's the music that's important :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

neil young is terrible. what you guys are probably thinking of as good is csny which is good despite the neil young

you are shameful

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

move out of a border state, you're an infidel against canada

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

also why does intel want to kill thunderbolt? why don't they put it on any windows laptops?

do they? isn't it an intel product?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

he's an amazing musician. as a technological product designer, not so much

but it's the music that's important :allears:

no hes bad at the music too

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

no hes bad at the music too

don't make me angry. you wouldn't like me when i'm angry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why don't you get neil young to write a boring song with terrible vocals about it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I didn't even know he was Canadian but that makes a lot of sense.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Shaggar posted:

do they? isn't it an intel product?

thunderbolt is intel-developed because Apple made them. it's an awesome technology and intel is still pouring money into research and development on it.

they apparently charge oems like $50 as a licence fee so nobody is adopting it other than apple.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

and because nobody's using it on pc nobody makes peripherals for it

it's really dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple didn't make them do anything. its not like they can go anywhere else to get chips

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

intel invents like nothing without prodding from other companies, remember when they were like "more GHz!"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

intel invents like nothing without prodding from other companies, remember when they were like "more GHz!"

hertz so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

yeah but that was while they were working on new chip designs and it was when amd was slightly competitive. now theres no one

• Locked thread