Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Bozza posted:

By DnA I mean "Drugs and Alcohol" btw, I had to take one as a precondition of my employment with Network Rail and a subsequent one when I reapplied for my Personal Track Safety competence which requires it.
Ah, OK. That makes much more sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Head of nail meet hammer:

Sure, but it's not like an individual bank moves in a vacuum. Why wouldn't another bank come along (say a so-called disruptive one like Metro, or a building society) and sell cheaper buy to let mortgages and clean up the market, if the premium doesn't reflect a business risk?

Edit: Which.co.uk says:

quote:

Buy-to-let mortgages cost more than residential ones, because there is more risk for the lender.

If your tenants don’t pay their rent, or you have long void periods (periods without tenants), you could struggle to pay the mortgage - especially if it's not your only one.

Maybe it's as simple as that. Apparently BTL mortages are not FCA regulated, unlike normal mortgages.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 3, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Prince John posted:

Apparently even the prosecution accepted he wasn't a terrorist. I suspect there's more to it than meets the eye, as there usually is when reading media reports about trials.

There's a reasonable possibility that the Judiciary are prejudiced against ethnic minorities. I would strongly suspect no Muslim terrorism suspects have been had the suspicion of terror dropped for reasons of immaturity, the Daily Mail's howls would've let us know had that happened. Label me a reactionary if you will but telling the police you built bombs because you hate immigrants certainly sounds like the actions of a terrorist to me. Hell I'm pretty sure a great number of terrorists have been immature idiots, which hasn't made their victims any less dead or injured.

Do Scooby Doo stickers negate this: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/28/soldier-jailed-nailbomb-ryan-mcgee-manchester-bomb

quote:

[...]building a viable nailbomb packed with 181 pieces of shrapnel to maximise the carnage it would cause.

Ryan McGee, 20, described by his defence team as “a bit of a loner”, wrote in a journal: “I vow to drag every last immigrant into the fires of hell with me.”

He downloaded a video of two bound and gagged men beneath a swastika flag, one being beheaded and the other killed by a gunshot to the head and went online to tell people to do something if they hated immigration. He supported the English Defence League, Ku Klux Klan and praised then British National party leader Nick Griffin.

A nailbomb and cache of weapons including an imitation firearm, an air pistol, axes and knives were found in the bedroom of his family home in Eccles, Salford, and he had researched buying guns on the web. McGee also posted several pictures of himself in EDL and Ku Klux Klan clothing and standing next to EDL flags.

Because if so Daesh better start stocking up on Spongebob Squarepants stickers along with Nutella.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

EmptyVessel posted:

Unless they close it at night all I can see is a lovely picturesque new mugging location.
As a bonus feature, easy disposal of weapons/evidence/bodies straight into the river too.
It is closed at night.

Also if you're more than 8 people and want to cross it, you need to apply for permission beforehand, because otherwise you might Protest, and that's not what we want.

Also you might well have to buy tickets for it.

Also no, there isn't a general right of way.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Zephro posted:

It is closed at night.

Also if you're more than 8 people and want to cross it, you need to apply for permission beforehand, because otherwise you might Protest, and that's not what we want.

I'm going to guess that when the enormous maintenance bills start piling up the management company will miraculously find itself bankrupt, leaving the public to bail out and manage the bridge, probably while the directors make off like bandits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

It is closed at night.

So it's not a bridge, it's a private hanging garden with two entrances.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Renaissance Robot posted:

In effect yes, partially funded by tax payers as well. Almost as big a folly as the cable car down the river, but I expect this bridge will actually be used.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oh dear.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

When has a bank ever needed a reason other than "because we can"?

They did smash up the entire economy and make out like bandits doing so.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Metrication posted:

In effect yes, partially funded by tax payers as well.

Austerity apparently means spending public money on nonsensical instead of useful things.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

That UKIP thing is bonkers.

I know you only said it was a reasonable possibility, but do be careful with that kind of statement - the link you posted is filled with health warnings about drawing conclusions and possible explanations for the supposed discrepancies. E.g. cultural propensity to plead not guilty, longer criminal histories, more serious crime in certain categories etc.

I won't white knight the charming Mr. McGee - I just wouldn't be surprised if the facts are surprisingly different. It's a shame it's not the Court of Appeal, then we could see the judge's remarks. Granted, we never wanted to blow anyone up, but when I was a kid one of my friends lived on a farm and we used to have some fun making small explosions in an empty field. Everyone at school had a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook as well, just because it was getting passed around like a hot potato on floppy disk. :) A different world pre-9/11 I guess.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

These new stamp duties seem good to me. Thanks Tories.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jew KIP

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Prince John posted:

I know you only said it was a reasonable possibility, but do be careful with that kind of statement - the link you posted is filled with health warnings about drawing conclusions and possible explanations for the supposed discrepancies. E.g. cultural propensity to plead not guilty, longer criminal histories, more serious crime in certain categories etc.

It is a fact that judges are racist, what the christ do you think changed since the Birmingham Six were released?

Do be careful not being white, and the right kind of white, would be a better statement. It wouldn't be a lie about cultural propensity to commit more serious crime, for a start.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

I suppose every party has its nutter faction, even UKIP.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The nutter wing of UKIP will probably be put off by that, actually.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
GOod news everyone, I'm eligibkle for a small amount of tax credits. You can check yours here http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I suppose every party has its nutter faction, even UKIP.

the lack of forethought is beautiful

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
From the pictures thread.

Seriously, this thing deserves to be an OP regular, it's art. Fecal art on bathroom walls perhaps, but still art.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Osborne wussed out on devolving corporation tax powers to Northern Ireland, fell back on a conditional promise to look into it once a budget has been agreed at the current all-party talks. Possible code for you ain't getting poo poo until you agree to cut welfare. Naturally the DUP are blaming SF for the sudden onset of cold feet after the positive noises in the last two weeks, SF are crossing their arms and are refusing to accept further fiscal devolution if it means swallowing a Tory budget.

I think a drastic cut in corporation tax (which is what devolving it is all about) is pretty drat stupid but god-drat if hearing the Tories say we can't have it still doesn't irk me.

drat your reverse psychology Cameron :argh:

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 3, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Burqa King posted:

GOod news everyone, I'm eligibkle for a small amount of tax credits. You can check yours here http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Good calculator, thanks for posting it (it calculated how much I actually receive in child benefit and tax credits so it is accurate).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The change to stamp duty has been an obviously good idea for the reasons people have already pointed out. I would probably have made it old/new duty neutral for a purchase at £600k not £937.5k to increase revenue (Do we know these thresholds/rates were picked to make it revenue neutral? Probably, since 925k is really arbitrary at first glance.) from the tax and I think there should be a 2% surcharge on all second homes/buy to let purchases to give genuine home-buyers an advantage. Also they should scrap the tax deductibility of the interest on a rented property's mortgage but also legislate to scrap buy-to-let mortgages, i.e. people should be able to borrow for the same interest rate regardless of the purpose. At the moment the banks offer higher interest rates for buy-to-let (despite the fact they are obviously less risky in most cases) so it's really the bank that profits from the tax deduction, not the landlord.

Turns out the SDLT change isn't revenue neutral - it's expected to be an £800m tax cut - because apparently it makes sense to deliberately reduce the tax take when you're trying to balance the budget and eliminate the deficit.

Also, I've always found BTL mortgages to be a weird and awkward halfway house between personal and commercial finance. BTL is supposed to be a business venture, which justifies the tax relief on the mortgage payments, but if you actually tried to do it as a proper business via a limited company, no bank would give you the time of day. It's almost like the system is explicitly designed to suck in money from half-arsed amateur landlords and ensure that huge chunks of the country's private rental stock end up in the hands of people who are patently unqualified to manage it.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Fans posted:

Enjoying Vomiting or Vomiting during sex.
They banned swap.avi? :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Burqa King posted:

I'm not. You've ruined Christmas breath Ray

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Evil begets evil.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Spangly A posted:

It is a fact that judges are racist, what the christ do you think changed since the Birmingham Six were released?

Wasn't the main lesson from the Birmingham Six that the police were massively corrupt? Judges make mistakes - it doesn't make them racist - Justice Lane just seemed to have bad judgement in the later part of his career. It was a judge that allowed the appeal in the end. Saying "it is a fact that judges are racist" is pretty inflamatory.

quote:

Do be careful not being white, and the right kind of white, would be a better statement. It wouldn't be a lie about cultural propensity to commit more serious crime, for a start.

I was only quoting from the article linked in the thread:

quote:

Differences in sentencing between ethnic groups have been a subject of academic contention for a while. Some explanations suggest offenders from different ethnic minorities commit more serious offences in particular categories or have longer criminal histories; others speculate they could be indicative of prejudice in areas of the criminal justice system.

The key point I was trying to draw attention to was this:

quote:

Dr Coretta Phillips, at the London School of Economics' Mannheim Centre for the Study of Criminology and Criminal Justice, said: "The raw figures [in the MoJ] data are unable to take account of all the relevant legal factors which might explain these patterns.

"The research evidence on the sentencing of young offenders is complex, but there is some indication that racial discrimination plays a part in conviction, remand, and possibly sentencing patterns, in some areas, some of the time.

"[But] on the basis of the data published yesterday, it would be hard to conclude anything about prejudice and discrimination from the magistracy or judiciary or that there is greater criminality among minority groups."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

The nutter wing of UKIP will probably be put off by that, actually.

I'm not so sure. The UK fash seem to be quietly (or loudly) realigning towards making Muslims their favourite target, and who can blame them when there's such encouraging stuff coming out of Israel?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This TED video suggests a global workforce crisis in 2030, with labour demand far outstripping supply (even in the UK). Could this push wages and working conditions up, regardless of the Tories' efforts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux1GxExRUUY

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds like a suitable case for a nightly lock/superglue conjunction.
(Also,final confirmation London=Babylon)

Regarde Aduck posted:

Evil begets evil.
Read that as "Evil bagel's evil", not sure quite what my mind is trying to say..

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 3, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

KKKlean Energy posted:

This TED video suggests a global workforce crisis in 2030, with labour demand far outstripping supply (even in the UK). Could this push wages and working conditions up, regardless of the Tories' efforts?

The speaker also states that there's going to be a skills gap such that there's a desperate shortage of skilled labour and a glut of unskilled labour, so we'd be more likely to get a relatively small number of high demand people seeing their incomes skyrocket while the rest scrabble around for a dwindling pool of zero hour contracts...

e: the UK is the second most desired destination for the world's migrants WE ARE GOING TO BE SWAMPED BY THE FORRIN HORDES NIGEL SAVE US

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 3, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Read that as "Evil bagel's evil", not sure quite what my mind is trying to say..

Maybe the creepy UKIP picture above provoked you to an unfortunate attack of anti-Semitism?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The speaker also states that there's going to be a skills gap such that there's a desperate shortage of skilled labour and a glut of unskilled labour, so we'd be more likely to get a relatively small number of high demand people seeing their incomes skyrocket while the rest scrabble around for a dwindling pool of zero hour contracts...

So it's just more the same then. I had my hopes up for a moment there.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

quote:

It's either hunger, sleepiness or anti-semitism.

So eat an apple, take a nap, and visit stormfront.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Prince John posted:

Saying "it is a fact that judges are racist" is pretty inflamatory.

This would be the point, yes.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Cant we spend all this money/attention on some sort of incentive to leave program, id gladly get the gently caress out of this shithole in exchange for a crash course in spanish or italian and 5 grand start up money.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EmptyVessel posted:

Sounds like a suitable case for a nightly lock/superglue conjunction.
(Also,final confirmation London=Babylon)

given that it's the UK there'll be about 20 cameras pointed at the thing so good luck :v:

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Seaside Loafer posted:

Cant we spend all this money/attention on some sort of incentive to leave program, id gladly get the gently caress out of this shithole in exchange for a crash course in spanish or italian and 5 grand start up money.

Grass is always greener etc.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think the BNP was planning a program like that but not everyone would be eligible. White people have to stay behind and defend the pedoland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

I think the BNP was planning a program like that but not everyone would be eligible. White people have to stay behind and defend the pedoland.
Is there a generational requirement there or is one drop good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

Sure, but it's not like an individual bank moves in a vacuum. Why wouldn't another bank come along (say a so-called disruptive one like Metro, or a building society) and sell cheaper buy to let mortgages and clean up the market, if the premium doesn't reflect a business risk?

Edit: Which.co.uk says:

quote:

Buy-to-let mortgages cost more than residential ones, because there is more risk for the lender.

If your tenants don’t pay their rent, or you have long void periods (periods without tenants), you could struggle to pay the mortgage - especially if it's not your only one.

Maybe it's as simple as that. Apparently BTL mortages are not FCA regulated, unlike normal mortgages.

Mortgages are secured against the property. Defaulters lose their property. Plus someone with a 2nd property without tenants will sell it a lot quicker to meet their debts than a live-in home owner. Which.co.uk is talking poo poo.

It costs time, effort, and money for people to re-arrange such large commitments as mortgages. The churn for banking customers is very low (how many people do you know who have changed who their current account, savings, or mortgages are with recently?) therefore offering lower rates is going to lose you more money with your existing customers interest than it is going to attract new customers. Hence why you get the "Two year fixed rate omg amazing rate" introductory deals but then everyone is on the same tracker rate essentially as every other bank in the country. The fact is that people can't and won't switch their finances around like they would their washing up liquid and banking, like other private essential utilities, operates as an oligopoly and won't change their ways without stricter regulation.

• Locked thread