Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"Company taking female employee's words seriously immediately" would have been a lot more farfetched than "comedy jobber attempts rape"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In reverse order:

1. Bad PR/not wanting to incur potential legal costs/WWE is a lucrative client

2. Probably afraid she'd lose her job

3. It's hard for women to deal with the stigma of "oh she was probably asking for it / she is probably making this up".

I mean if the woman knows anything about the internet she would know that as soon as it comes out she will be harassed by 10000 Heath Slater fans.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If I believe I was about to be raped, I'm not waiting for my company to press charges. That's stupid.

I sympathize with her, but holy hell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

3. It's hard for women to deal with the stigma of "oh she was probably asking for it / she is probably making this up".

I mean if the woman knows anything about the internet she would know that as soon as it comes out she will be harassed by 10000 Heath Slater fans.

Not saying you're wrong but... 10,000?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not saying you're wrong but... 10,000?

I just hit 1 then a few zeros I am sorry I did not mathematically work out the number of Heath Slater fans that would harass this woman.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

131% chance of being harassed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

triplexpac posted:

I just hit 1 then a few zeros I am sorry I did not mathematically work out the number of Heath Slater fans that would harass this woman.

What's the over/under on Heath Slater fans harassing the officer he tried to rape?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Nah it's just that the Heath Slater fan club consists of his mum and their dog. His dad's no dead, he's just no caring.

Now getting attacked by the legions of wankers who all come out of the woodwork to support rapists, that's a genuine worry.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Daniel Bryan posted:

If I believe I was about to be raped, I'm not waiting for my company to press charges. That's stupid.

The majority of rapes go unreported because the system in place is largely useless.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

How come this type of poo poo only comes up for sexual assault and related stuff? Like, if Slater was accused of stabbing someone or stealing from them I don't think I'd see this loving stupid post.

Whether it's sexual assault, stabbing, or anything else I'm loathe to presume guilt over an accusation without evidence. This was apparently caught on film with witnesses though.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The majority of rapes go unreported because the system in place is largely useless.

It doesn't help when even if you do report it, nobody believes you

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Believe it or not it's actually somewhat reasonable to believe the company you work for arn't total poo poo heads who are going to drag their feet when something happens to their employees. And when nothing happens it's also justifiable in the victims mind that telling anyone else won't matter. This is why poo poo doesn't get reported.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Daniel Bryan posted:

If you're a dude, you're simply never going to understand the actual pressure/feelings involved.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

This is an exceedingly tone-deaf post, given the amount of people who have posted very valid and real reasons as to why a lady might not be eager to run to the cops and report a rape.

Tr33 posted:

Believe it or not it's actually somewhat reasonable to believe the company you work for arn't total poo poo heads who are going to drag their feet when something happens to their employees. And when nothing happens it's also justifiable in the victims mind that telling anyone else won't matter. This is why poo poo doesn't get reported.

Exactly. It's also possible she reported it and was told "don't ever bring this up again or you'll be fired". There are any number of reasons why she might have been leery of bringing this up on her own.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is an exceedingly tone-deaf post, given the amount of people who have posted very valid and real reasons as to why a lady might not be eager to run to the cops and report a rape.

Yeah, but why didn't she just counter with a stunner? That's what I would have done. It's pretty obvious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

It doesn't help when even if you do report it, nobody believes you
I still remember being an idiot and defending Ben Roethlisberger for 2 years until I realized "No he did sexually assault those women and I was just denying it because I'm more worried how it affects my loving football team"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Emma got instantaneously fired for maybe stealing a phone case. I bet slater will get maybe a joke on RAW about trying to rape a lady.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thauros posted:

Whether it's sexual assault, stabbing, or anything else I'm loathe to presume guilt over an accusation without evidence. This was apparently caught on film with witnesses though.

Ok but people are a lot more likely to ask those questions, ignore evidence, and generally blame victims when the crime is sexual assault related as opposed to anything else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

projecthalaxy posted:

Emma got instantaneously fired for maybe stealing a phone case. I bet slater will get maybe a joke on RAW about trying to rape a lady.

Well, seeing that Slater's former band member McIntyre got buried for not hitting his fiancee/wife back in a fight, I can only assume Heath will main-event Wrestlemania next year.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

Man are you loving serious?

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

oldpainless posted:

First Cosby, now Slater.

Must all my heroes fall?

I'm biased as gently caress, but I am very much "guilty until proven innocent" with rape cases, in terms of my opinion on the person. I know that's not "right" but that's just how I am. So yeah, gently caress Slater

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given wrestling's rich history of people who are socially maladjusted and prone to fits of drug/alcohol-induced sexual violence, I think it's understandable if some people aren't willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at times v:shobon:v
Cool, now substitute "wrestling" for "black people" and see how righteous that version sounds

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 3, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's three years after the fact. I'm a little baffled why it took so long. I don't spend a lot of time looking up attempted rape cases, so if this is usual then fine.

I don't know what I said that was so off the wall. If someone wants to tell me why, that'd be helpful. Screaming at me about what I said doesn't help anyone. I'm willing to listen.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 3, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Cool, now substitute "wrestling" for "black people" and see how righteous that version sounds

Taking that username to heart a bit, ain't ya?

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

flashy_mcflash posted:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

so if this is usual then fine.

It kind of is, unfortunately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can we make this the subtitle of the forum

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The inevitable handful of angry goon comments that are philosophically opposed to the rule of law and innocence before proven guilt because they're tunnel visioning so hard on one agenda is the best because it's the only time you'll see them unwittingly give full support to police activity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The inevitable handful of angry goon comments that are philosophically opposed to the rule of law and innocence before proven guilt because they're tunnel visioning so hard on one agenda is the best because it's the only time you'll see them unwittingly give full support to police activity
now substitute 'goon' for 'black person' and see how righteous that version sounds

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

I'm for innocent until proven guilty in a courtroom, no question. My personal opinion on someone doesn't have to subscribe to that in any way. And the WWE would be smart to fire him. Court of Public Opinion is not Court of Law.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's three years after the fact. I'm a little baffled why it took so long. I don't spend a lot of time looking up attempted rape cases, so if this is usual then fine.

I don't know what I said that was so off the wall.

I misread earlier when I asserted that the employer waited three years to file the report. It was actually three months but the police have taken this long to build the case. We don't know why it took this long but that's on the cops, not the accuser.

As others have said, it's extremely difficult for a woman to report this kind of thing, especially about a celebrity, because she's vilifed, ostracised, and her character publicly destroyed. You don't have to look up a bunch of rape cases to see that this is what happens in our society far too often. Look at what's happening with Bill Cosby or Jian Ghomeshi.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

It kind of is, unfortunately.

Okay. I plea ignorance and that's seriously messed up. Sorry.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

I don't know what I said that was so off the wall.

Whenever cases take this long, and it involves someone who isn't a straight white male, it's fair to say it's either the company's or police's fault for the long wait unless proven otherwise. In your own post, it pointed out that she reported it to her supervisor the morning after the incident, waited for them to do something, and reported it to the police 3 months later when it was clear they wouldn't. The police's warrant for arrest was just issued today. None of the above seems like "otherwise".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I'm not in any way opposed to "innocent until proven guilty" as a basic tenet of our justice system, such as it is, but that in no way means I am or should be constrained by it in my personal opinion about whether someone is guilty or not.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

On one hand a lot of women lie about this stuff and ruin it for the rest.

On the other hand he is a wrestler.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RBX posted:

A lot? gently caress yourself and this MRA nonsense.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Endorph posted:

now substitute 'goon' for 'black person' and see how righteous that version sounds
No grandstanding, it's an objective assessment of what happens every time.

I don't care about heath slater and he could very well be guilty of whatever this charge is. but it's good to see so many goons are always willing to form hardline, stubbornly irreversible knee-jerk opinions on the basis of very poor information or none at all. But at least you're better than all those other sites you intrinsically hate because they are presumably doing the exact same thing.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

RBX posted:

On the other hand he is a wrestler.

If the first thing you consider when a rape accusation is brought up is "Well women lie about this all the time so *insert literally anything here*" you're insanely ignorant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't care about heath slater and he could very well be guilty of whatever this charge is. but it's good to see so many goons are always willing to form hardline, stubbornly irreversible knee-jerk opinions on the basis of very poor information or none at all. But at least you're better than all those other sites you intrinsically hate because they are presumably guilty of the same thing.
now substitute 'goons' with 'black people' and see how righteous that version sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

I don't care about heath slater and he could very well be guilty of whatever this charge is. but it's good to see so many goons are always willing to form hardline, stubbornly irreversible knee-jerk opinions on the basis of very poor information or none at all. But at least you're better than all those other sites you intrinsically hate because they are presumably doing the exact same thing.

Were you saying this when everyone was bashing Vince after Punk's interview?

• Locked thread