Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

outlier posted:

Just got a link to the documentary:

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5CRexmfyA

It's fairly clear she was wasted and the denial is sad. The lack of motivation is bizarre: what drove her to get blind drunk inside a window of 45 minutes and then keep driving?

drat I can't believe they showed the pictures of the body... that really hosed me up :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

malleusmalefic posted:

Solid post. Thank you for posting it.

Well just because it was sudden doesn't mean it wasn't unplanned. Things could have gone wrong or whatever. Why would the guy make himself so unidentifiable? You'd think he wouldn't give that much of a poo poo if he was going to kill himself. Also all the clothing tags, the odd brand of cigarette they found on him, the whole poetry thing. He could have escaped somewhere he was being held or while he was bein transported or something, managed to run away and then in a drug-induced haze ended up on the beach before dying.

Also if these people had means of destroying anything that could possibly idenfity him, they probably wouldn't worry too much about where he was found.

Him getting rid of all his ID ahead of time so he wouldn't be traced back to his family makes a little more sense to me than him escaping/being placed somewhere because of something spy related where they took all his IDs but left him with cigs and mysterious code fragments

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't know if suicide was still technically illegal or not in Australia at the time, but I'm sure there was a lot more stigma against the families of someone who committed suicide then than there would be now. Its not unreasonable for someone killing themselves at that time to take measures to ensure that their family doesn't have to deal with the negative attention of his suicide.

I just can't believe that a secret agency would strip the guy naked, take all his I.D. slow poison him, put his de-tagged clothes back on and then dump him still alive while somehow not taking the book. That's just sloppy as hell, if nothing else. What possible reason would you have for leaving a potential loose end, even if he was very unlikely to survive/talk to someone before dying?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Pharnakes posted:

I don't know if suicide was still technically illegal or not in Australia at the time, but I'm sure there was a lot more stigma against the families of someone who committed suicide then than there would be now. Its not unreasonable for someone killing themselves at that time to take measures to ensure that their family doesn't have to deal with the negative attention of his suicide.

I just can't believe that a secret agency would strip the guy naked, take all his I.D. slow poison him, put his de-tagged clothes back on and then dump him still alive while somehow not taking the book. That's just sloppy as hell, if nothing else. What possible reason would you have for leaving a potential loose end, even if he was very unlikely to survive/talk to someone before dying?

If the guy was a secret agent it would make more sense for him to have de-tagged and removed any ID himself. Like how when you're sending secret agents on missions you don't tell them to take their real passport just in case a cop pulls them over on unrelated business.

Source: I've watched Get Smart more times than I've had sex. once

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Dec 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Double Plus Good posted:

I honestly thought you guys were being facetious with the title of that documentary.

It's a loving great title.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Interestingly a dead tramp was used to fool hitler into thinking the allies were going to invade Greece when the real plan was to invade Sicily.

quote:

During World War II, the Nazis fell for an audacious British plot to pass off a dead tramp as an officer carrying secret documents.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11887115

quote:

Operation Mincemeat was a successful British disinformation plan during World War II. As part of Operation Barclay, the widespread deception intended to cover the invasion of Italy from North Africa, Mincemeat helped to convince the German high command that the Allies planned to invade Greece and Sardinia in 1943 instead of Sicily, the actual objective. This was accomplished by persuading the Germans that they had, by accident, intercepted "top secret" documents giving details of Allied war plans. The documents were attached to a corpse deliberately left to wash up on a beach in Punta Umbría in Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Him getting rid of all his ID ahead of time so he wouldn't be traced back to his family makes a little more sense to me than him escaping/being placed somewhere because of something spy related where they took all his IDs but left him with cigs and mysterious code fragments

I can totally understand that. I don't really know if I actually believe it's spy related, I am definitely just romanticizing it and don't want to accept that it is probably as mundane as suicide.

Doctor Fatty
Oct 11, 2004

Soothing salve for your intake valve
Re: Taman Shud

The de-tagging of his clothing is pretty much answered right in the wikipedia article:
"It has since been noted that the "Kean" tags were the only ones that could not have been removed without damaging the clothing."

That line also has a note attached to it that says:
"With wartime rationing still enforced, clothing was difficult to acquire at that time. Although it was a very common practice to use name tags, it was also common when buying second hand clothing to remove the tags of the previous owner/s."

So either the dude just bought stuff second hand, or he was an oddball that really liked to cut off the tags so long as it didn't damage the clothing. Or both. Occam's razor, guys.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Going with the spy theory, it is possible that his assassin(s) left the code on him as some sort of message, maybe to the employers of this guy. Kind of a "Hey guys, we totally killed your agent, watch your back."

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
I've seen this particular article a lot. It seems to have generated a lot of interest as well as suspicion. "My Grandma the Poisoner" by John Benjamin Reed. Bear with me, I know it's A.) on Vice and B.) decidedly NOT Wikipedia and should be taken with a massive grain of salt, but the issues it raises are most definitely creepy and unnerving.

I was inspired to look up some other serial poisoners like Jane Toppan. There are lots of other poisoning stories here as well: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/toxicology/index.html
The traits in the John Reed story are also kind of like Munchausen by Proxy syndrome. If it's true, I wonder how much going through the Holocaust had to do with it that kind of behavior in the grandma.

Here's another collection of some modern poisoning cases. Stacey Castor is pretty famous and one of the most horrible:

"One of the more notorious recent poison killers, Stacy Castor of Clay, New York, was convicted of murder in 2007 for killing her husband with antifreeze. She then tried to frame her daughter for the crime, writing a fake suicidal confession, and serving the girlan unexpected cocktail of orange juice, soda, and crushed painkillers. The girl told police that the drink tasted “nasty” but she swallowed at her mother’s urging. Her survival led to a break in the case."

They made a Forensic Files episode of it: (1) {2)

All these other cases are different than what's described in the John Reed story, since his grandma used poisoning as a form of control rather than just to kill. It's bizarre. If there are other cases of things like that happening, we may never know about it, but now I'm curious.

angelfisher has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Dec 2, 2014

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The author is surprisingly calm about the induced miscarriage.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not really unnerving but more of a case of hilariously bad luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink%27s_robbery_%281981%29

quote:

At 3:55 pm, Brink's guards Peter Paige and Joe Trombino emerged from the mall carrying bags of money. As they loaded the money into the truck, the robbers stormed out of their van and attacked. One fired two shotgun blasts into the van's bulletproof windshield, while another opened fire with an M16 rifle. Paige was hit multiple times and killed instantly. Trombino was able to fire a single shot from his handgun, but was struck in the shoulder and arm by several rounds, nearly severing his arm from his body. The criminals grabbed $1.6 million in cash, got back in their van, and fled the scene.

Trombino survived his injuries, and continued to work for the Brink's company for the next 20 years until he was killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks while making a delivery in the World Trade Center North Tower

Get shot by literal Communist bank robbers, live, and then die at the World Trade Center on 9/11 when you don't even work there and you were going to retire the next year.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My wife sent me this one- a French soldier during the late 1700's who eat anything and everything he possibly could without gaining weight. He apparently had an absolutely insatiable appetite and even ate live animals.

quote:

With military rations unable to satisfy his large appetite, he would eat any available food from gutters and refuse heaps but his condition still deteriorated through hunger. Suffering from exhaustion, he was hospitalised and became the subject of a series of medical experiments to test his eating capacity, in which, among other things, he ate a meal intended for 15 people in a single sitting, ate live cats, snakes, lizards and puppies, and swallowed an eel whole without chewing.

And it gets worse...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

Not really unnerving but more of a case of hilariously bad luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink%27s_robbery_%281981%29

Get shot by literal Communist bank robbers, live, and then die at the World Trade Center on 9/11 when you don't even work there and you were going to retire the next year.

I worked that job in college. The sad thing is that if the robbers had just drawn down on them, the guards would've almost certainly given up the cash without a fight. There's no loving way that a couple of working joes are going to take a bullet for someone else's money.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Zeroisanumber posted:

I worked that job in college. The sad thing is that if the robbers had just drawn down on them, the guards would've almost certainly given up the cash without a fight. There's no loving way that a couple of working joes are going to take a bullet for someone else's money.

" Throughout the trial, they repeatedly disrupted the proceedings by shouting anti-US slogans, proclaiming to be "at war" with the government and refusing to respect any aspect of the US legal system. They called the robbery an "expropriation" of funds that were needed to form a new country in a few select southern states...
Burns testified that the killings were suitable because the three dead men had interfered with the "expropriation" and therefore deserved to die."

Prototype sovereign-citizens?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

New Leaf posted:

My wife sent me this one- a French soldier during the late 1700's who eat anything and everything he possibly could without gaining weight. He apparently had an absolutely insatiable appetite and even ate live animals.

And it gets worse...

Sounds like the first issue of Hellblazer.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

New Leaf posted:

And it gets worse...

At the bottom of that link is the story of a Polish soldier (Charles Domery) serving in the French army with the same condition, to the point where he sometimes was in too much of a hurry to strangle cats before eating them and when a fellow soldier's leg got shot off, he started snacking on it.

Both stories have so many things in common including time and place that they sound like urban legends with some of that British/French hostility (no offense to the original poster). I can only imagine that if someone like this were found today he'd instantly be given his own show on Food Network. "Tarrare eats 170 dead rats and then sits down to consume an entire Thanksgiving feast for ten prepared by Paula Deen. Later, Guy Fieri prepares him twelve pounds of BBQ bologna sushi rolls. Tune in at 7:30 eastern!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah it's just not physically possible. The stomach only holds so much without rupturing and live things tend to do stuff like bite, or have poisonous or at the very least sickness causing internal organs that are usually removed when preparing them. It sounds a lot more like some combo of those kids that are never full because of a damaged amygdala and those guys who ate random poo poo for carnivals and invented a thing. Especially with his physical description being a dude with too big a mouth and who never gained weight. It just doesn't fit.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

angelfisher posted:

I've seen this particular article a lot. It seems to have generated a lot of interest as well as suspicion. "My Grandma the Poisoner" by John Benjamin Reed. Bear with me, I know it's A.) on Vice and B.) decidedly NOT Wikipedia and should be taken with a massive grain of salt, but the issues it raises are most definitely creepy and unnerving.

Yeah, when I was almost done reading that article I realized "Wow, this transparently a work of fiction, I'm a dummy for believing it so far," then I looked around and everybody was linking it as if it were just a true writeup.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

If the guy was a secret agent it would make more sense for him to have de-tagged and removed any ID himself. Like how when you're sending secret agents on missions you don't tell them to take their real passport just in case a cop pulls them over on unrelated business.

Source: I've watched Get Smart more times than I've had sex. once

Generally you wouldn't de-tag your clothes and you'd be carrying normal poo poo if you were a spy. Being a spy is that your job is to fit in wherever you go, your task is to look, dress and act like people who look like you in that area do. If he was a spy that died there wouldn't have been anything off about him.

Source: Security and anti-terrorism is my degree field.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Re: Non-stop eating

Prader-Willi Syndrome

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 3, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

EZipperelli posted:

Re: Non-stop eating

Even though the link is broken (fix that!) I grew up with someone with Prader-Willi Syndrome. He could literally eat until he burst but everybody had to make sure that his food intake was restricted. At home, the family had locks on the cupboards and refrigerator. I've lost touch with him but last I heard he was in a special program and had outlived the usual 16-year prognosis by more than a decade. He was a dear friend and I hope he is OK.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

" Throughout the trial, they repeatedly disrupted the proceedings by shouting anti-US slogans, proclaiming to be "at war" with the government and refusing to respect any aspect of the US legal system. They called the robbery an "expropriation" of funds that were needed to form a new country in a few select southern states...
Burns testified that the killings were suitable because the three dead men had interfered with the "expropriation" and therefore deserved to die."

Prototype sovereign-citizens?

Huh, they turned that case into an episode of Law & Order.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

One of the reasons people with that syndrome die is massive chronic obesity. It doesn't fit.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

nucleicmaxid posted:

One of the reasons people with that syndrome die is massive chronic obesity. It doesn't fit.

I wasn't necessarily saying that PWS is what those guys had, but PWS is interesting and somewhat unnerving in and of itself.

Imagine your hunger receptors don't work correctly, and you never feel full, even if you just ate 3 plates of Thanksgiving dinner. There's a group home in my area for people with PWS, and being a paramedic, we've run calls there before. Some of the residents have taken to eating loving ANYTHING because they feel hungry, even though the staff monitors their diets. It's quite sad to see a 10 year old ask for food on the way to the hospital, knowing he quite literally JUST ate dinner.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My girlfriend worked for a couple years at a center for developmentally disabled adults and teens and there was a kid with Prader-Willi who was apparently insufferable. He was kind of crafty, and saavy enough to be able to trick inexperienced people into giving him food all the time. Apparently there are locks on all the cupboards at his house, and at PWS group homes there is just literally no food kept on the premises. That sort of thing is way harder to deal with than just like, an autistic kid who gets mad if he can't watch Fantasia.

soundsection
May 10, 2010
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Pedro_L%C3%B3pez_(serial_killer)

That this guy was let loose on the world again is loving terrifying.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Source: Security and anti-terrorism is my degree field.

If you tell us that, then surely you flunked.... :negative:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I think this has probably made at least one appearance in this thread, already, but I've been looking into the West Memphis Three. I tried to watch There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, but it wouldn't load (Amazon Prime), so I clicked on a related video called Paradise Lost. Paradise Lost 1, 2, and 3 are a series of documentaries about the West Memphis Three. The whole case is definitely unnerving, but it's more disgusting than anything else. That Michael Carson kid, holy poo poo.

I don't know if this shows a bias on the part of the documentarians, but the families* of the victims come off as incredibly unsympathetic in Paradise Lost. They're all spouting cherry-picked Bible verses, narrating their violent revenge fantasies, and sometimes appearing distinctly unstable. Even doing my best to keep in mind the terrible thing they are going through, I just find myself wondering what the gently caress is wrong with those people.

* Terry Hobbs and Jack Hicks are more relatable than most of the others.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

If you tell us that, then surely you flunked.... :negative:

Don't bother, they've already been taken away in black vans.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My brother has this, although it's thankfully a slightly different form which means he doesn't eat out of bins or chew on his own hair or anything, but if he's staying over then he will quietly make himself three breakfasts and the first question out of his mouth when he arrives is always "What's for dinner?" It's exhausting.

I remember watching this documentary about it, (I think it was "Can't Stop Eating (2006)") at one point they had a girl who was meeting all her weight targets, absolutely perfect, showed a good level of understanding about her condition, then they let her out to go see her mother and the first thing she did was spend all her money on sweets. When they asked her why, she couldn't really say.

Thing is, he doesn't even enjoy his food, it's like a mechanical thing. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

It would match with the notes of weak muscles in that article though, that's a big part of it.

Edit: doc is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJdg_Xi1uU0 It's scary. That lad at the beginning going on about his book is exactly like watching my brother. It's creepy.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Dec 3, 2014

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kenning posted:

My girlfriend worked for a couple years at a center for developmentally disabled adults and teens and there was a kid with Prader-Willi who was apparently insufferable. He was kind of crafty, and saavy enough to be able to trick inexperienced people into giving him food all the time. Apparently there are locks on all the cupboards at his house, and at PWS group homes there is just literally no food kept on the premises. That sort of thing is way harder to deal with than just like, an autistic kid who gets mad if he can't watch Fantasia.

You know, that makes me wonder if a girl I went to high school with had it. She had an adult helper all day despite not having any visible disability and sometimes she would steal food out of people's backpacks if she could see it, and that would get her dragged forcibly out of the room by the helper. She was a sweet girl, seemed like a shame.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I know Serial was posted few pages back.. but this seriously needs more attention. Just give the first episode a listen, if you hate it then you hate it, but I promise you will get sucked right in to this clusterfuck of "holy poo poo how did this kid get convicted for killing this girl?".

This American Life has been hosting a podcast called Serial for the past few weeks - the concept came about because a journalist found this case that just... didn't make sense and decided to dig further and further, and the more she researched the more things didn't come up aces.

http://serialpodcast.org

The case is that of Adnan Syed. Here's the blurb they have on their page about the story:

quote:

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a person’s character? How can you tell what they’re capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.

This case has so many layers, from the teachers interviewed having their comments about how all students are twisted, to a streaker finding the body, to random witnesses popping in and out all over the place. On top of the podcasts themselves, there are also extensive blog posts that are PACKED with extra information and files, maps, pictures, call logs, etc. that have come up throughout the investigation.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Dec 3, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think this has probably made at least one appearance in this thread, already, but I've been looking into the West Memphis Three. I tried to watch There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, but it wouldn't load (Amazon Prime), so I clicked on a related video called Paradise Lost. Paradise Lost 1, 2, and 3 are a series of documentaries about the West Memphis Three. The whole case is definitely unnerving, but it's more disgusting than anything else. That Michael Carson kid, holy poo poo.

I don't know if this shows a bias on the part of the documentarians, but the families* of the victims come off as incredibly unsympathetic in Paradise Lost. They're all spouting cherry-picked Bible verses, narrating their violent revenge fantasies, and sometimes appearing distinctly unstable. Even doing my best to keep in mind the terrible thing they are going through, I just find myself wondering what the gently caress is wrong with those people.

They're insane from grief and the police told them that these weird kids hostile to their way of life did it. The pain of not only having your child die but be killed in such a horrible and degrading way must be unimaginable, and then the cops tell you these kids did it and are trying to worm out of taking responsibility.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

it's on vimeo, I'm about to watch it.

Edit: ended up watching it on YouTube. it's a horrible story. The husband is a bit of a prick, so I had a hard time having any sympathy for him at all, especially after seeing the last part of the above post. He was desperate to convince everyone she wasn't drunk, even suggesting a tooth abscess gave her a stroke and made her drink vodka thinking it was water. Wtf.

She was by most accounts a nice lady. She was driving drunk, with five kids in her car. There's no forgiving that, I don't care how nice she was before the rtc.

If you drink every time the sister-in-law says "it's ironic", you'll end up drunker than Diane Schuler.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

slinkimalinki posted:

If you drink every time the sister-in-law says "it's ironic", you'll end up drunker than Diane Schuler.

This might have been the problem to begin with.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo I knew that voice sounded familiar. The Schuler's family attorney is Dominic Barbara, I'm pretty sure that's the celebrity lawyer that called into Howard Stern all the time and was just recently disbarred right?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

BobbyK posted:

Holy poo poo I knew that voice sounded familiar. The Schuler's family attorney is Dominic Barbara, I'm pretty sure that's the celebrity lawyer that called into Howard Stern all the time and was just recently disbarred right?

That would be him, yes.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BobbyK posted:

He goes by Dominic a now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Centripetal Horse posted:

I've been following this case for years. It's unnerving to think that, had your goth phase occurred in a different region of the US, you could just as easily end up where Damien Echols was. For a newer work on the subject, check out Mara Leveritt's Devil's Knot.

Also frustrating is the fact that all three men, who spent the last two decades and all their formative years in prison, were released on an Alford plea - they are free but not exonerated.

Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe, who has resisted multiple petitions to pardon the men based on faulty trials and new analysis of evidence, recently granted an official pardon to his son after a marijuana possession charge.