Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The Garner case has demonstrated that all the body cameras in the world won't do a drat thing to get abusive cops indicted.
Yeah, I mean, they are good as far as transparency goes (to the limits they are properly used and there is appropriate access to the footage) but they aren't the end all be all.

Really the cops are just acting out the defined interests of the public - the institutional violence, structural racism, retribution oriented Justice, etc. that's the stuff that needs to change. By all means, let's start with the police, but the problem is way bigger than "nobody sees what the cops are doing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Mayor deBlasio's statement is here.

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/540-14/statement-mayor-bill-de-blasio

I forgot the marijuana policy change. That was good.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

America, circa 2019: "Man, I wish 'President Bernie' was more like 'Candidate Bernie', how awesome would that have been? :smith:"

America in 2020: "I mean, what happened? How can President Chomsky let me down today?"

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 3, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “We have the ability to have a level of tolerance—breathing room, if you will.” ~ NYC Police Commission William Bratton, on their preparations for expected protests.

:vince:

Obama admin coincides with more decisions/jury results that betray white fear, are we really that surprised about localized manifestations of the right-wing national narrative?

mdemone fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 3, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you want Obama to say and reminder that anything he says will result in a polarizing firestorm of invective that serves to only further entrech racist ideology. Has any racist person ever been swayed by words? What was yall's experience at Thanksgiving, did y'all convince a lot of aunts and uncles that maybe this Michael Brown shooting thing was hosed up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, I mean, they are good as far as transparency goes (to the limits they are properly used and there is appropriate access to the footage) but they aren't the end all be all.

Really the cops are just acting out the defined interests of the public - the institutional violence, structural racism, retribution oriented Justice, etc. that's the stuff that needs to change. By all means, let's start with the police, but the problem is way bigger than "nobody sees what the cops are doing"

Although the video and lack of conviction does seem to be stirring a lot of public unrest that may not have been there for a similar case (then again it could also be that everyone's already riled up about Ferguson).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reminder that Santorum called Obama a government friend of the family and pretty much nobody cared because he cut himself off before he got the last syllable out.

Monaghan posted:

out of curiosity how did De Blasio gently caress up this one? I honestly don't know his role in all this.

Do you remember how he talked about things like fixing the NYPD and its extremely heavy racism? Well to do so he brought in the architect of Stop and Frisk.

Ninjasaurus posted:

Obama is one of the worst Presidents ever. Still not as bad as W Bush though.

He still has 2 years with a fully GOP held congress. He's got plenty of time to make up for it, even without starting 2 new wars. If Obama's the best the left has to offer then I'm all for accelerationism because at this rate the sooner humanity is wiped out, the better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah...and I hope someone calls him on that. What is with the smug in the legal system lately? Between the Missouri DA and this guy...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Is Obama's response to this somehow even more mealy-mouthed than his response to Wilson's free pass? I can barely discern even a hint of meaning, much less an important political statement.

Well he didn't include the "NOTICE TO ALL WHITES: YOUR PROTECTION IS OUR TOP PRIORITY Please ignore the following nods to the theory that black people are allowed to protest being killed. Thank you."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ninjasaurus posted:

Okay, okay. That was a bit of hyperbole.

Obama is a terrible President but probably won't go down as one of the worst ever. Still not as terrible as Bush, though.

PS I voted for Obama because the alternatives were horrifying.

Who's in your top 3?

In chronological order, Reagan, Bush, Bush.

zoux posted:

“It’s a horrible thing that he was killed, but he could have avoided that if he’d behaved like something other than a thug.”- Huck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think we should probably move away from the practice of showing single pictures and think that they sum up the a-to-z of a person's existence.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

zoux posted:

What do you want Obama to say and reminder that anything he says will result in a polarizing firestorm of invective that serves to only further entrech racist ideology. Has any racist person ever been swayed by words? What was yall's experience at Thanksgiving, did y'all convince a lot of aunts and uncles that maybe this Michael Brown shooting thing was hosed up?

I agree with the guy who said I want him to shut up and finish out his terrible 2nd term in silence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

I agree with the guy who said I want him to shut up and finish out his terrible 2nd term in silence.

There's just no percentage to talking about race in America because it's not going to change anything and people cannot discuss it rationally. We just have to wait for the tipping point where enough racists have died and not been replaced that it's finally over.

It's like discussing Batman movies on the internet; no winners.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

People being choked to death in the streets with zero consequences is not some embarrassing faux pas that we all need to hug it out over. gently caress you. :frogout:

The sad thing is I can't really think of any other politician that would have the balls to speak out forcefully against police abuse and lack of accountability either. Obama is too tepid on most issues while on this issue almost all politicians are spineless pussies that don't want to look like they're not "tough on crime." You know things are bad when the only person who seems to regularly talk about the issue is Rand Paul.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “We have the ability to have a level of tolerance—breathing room, if you will.” ~ NYC Police Commission William Bratton, on their preparations for expected protests.

Holy poo poo, that pun.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know at least one thing they all have in common. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Joementum posted:

This part...this phrasing especially...

I...I...

I'm not sure if :psyboom: or :golfclap: is more appropriate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

zoux posted:

I want him to say this isn't an acceptable situation, that it's "troubling"(or whatever) that we haven't even been allowed trials for either of these cases, and that the federal investigations will be thorough and fair to everyone involved.

Either that or shut the gently caress up instead of letting the entire black community know their go-to guy has the same words for them as the St. Louis County police chief and every mayor around the nation who had to address a protest breaking out.

Racists are going to do what they're going to do, using that as an excuse to sit on your hands is hosed up.

Also my thanksgiving was fine and dandy, no one talked politics at me and we all watched San Francisco get hosed up by Seattle hard.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

I think we should probably move away from the practice of showing single pictures and think that they sum up the a-to-z of a person's existence.

What thuggish behavior was John Crawford engaged in?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

There is nothing that a black person can say or do in America today that will not result in a polarizing firestorm of invective that serves to only further entrench racist ideology. That is a given. The point is you can't expect those people to come to the table. It'll never happen. You have to go around them.

Edit: Reminder that there was a "polarizing firestorm of invective that serves to only further entrench racist ideology" over Obama pardoning a loving TURKEY, which every other President has done for as long as I've lived and even THAT turns into a bunch of racist poo poo. You literally can't let those assholes dictate social policy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bassguitarhero posted:

There is nothing that a black person can say or do in America today that will not result in a polarizing firestorm of invective that serves to only further entrench racist ideology. That is a given. The point is you can't expect those people to come to the table. It'll never happen. You have to go around them.

I think the disconnect is that you believe those people to be smaller in number (especially for Democratic members) than they actually are.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

I think the disconnect is that you believe those people to be smaller in number (especially for Democratic members) than they actually are.

I think people give them far more credit than they are due. The real problem is that they are being allowed to pull strings from behind the scenes through thinly-veiled threats and at this point you have to force them to take action in public rather than hope to appease them in some way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Jesus Christ that's loving crass.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, I just watched Garner's video again...I can't imagine how terrifying it was to be him in his last moments. His pitiful cries for breath were god damned heartbreaking.

I hope the tree lighting ceremony gets shut down by protesters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

What thuggish behavior was John Crawford engaged in?

I don't know but if it's disingenuous to post a picture of a black person doing a "bad thing" and say he's a thug it's disingenuous to post a picture of a black person doing a "good thing" and make the opposite conclusion. Typically it's the former more often than the latter so I think we should probably stop doing it if we want it to stop. Secondly, even if he was the thugginnest thug that ever thugged, he didn't deserve to die and posting pics of someone looking "thuggish" or "not-thuggish" implies it's ok to kill people for acting a certain way.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do you remember how he talked about things like fixing the NYPD and its extremely heavy racism? Well to do so he brought in the architect of Stop and Frisk.

He did as good as end Stop and Frisk though. Its use is almost 80% down from 2013.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/12/03/new-york-has-essentially-eliminated-stop-and-frisk-and-crime-is-still-down/

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

He still has 2 years with a fully GOP held congress. He's got plenty of time to make up for it, even without starting 2 new wars. If Obama's the best the left has to offer then I'm all for accelerationism because at this rate the sooner humanity is wiped out, the better.

I'd vote for Bill Clinton as President 4 Life in a heartbeat if I could. I know he's not a leftist by any means but he's maybe the best we can hope for at this point. At least when Hillary is President he'll be back in the White House.

Goddamnit I can't believe the Clintons are the least bad people on the bench.

But yeah, gently caress humanity.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

bassguitarhero posted:

Agreed.

There is no way to be careful or nice enough talking about racism to many white people. That's why people discussing racism get upset about tone arguments, because the truth is that the act of even bringing it up gets folks offended, it doesn't matter how carefully you approach it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

“It’s a horrible thing that he was killed, but he could have avoided that if he’d behaved like something other than a thug.”- Huck.

Huh, I thought he'd died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Agreed.

There is no way to be careful or nice enough talking about racism to many white people. That's why people discussing racism get upset about tone arguments, because the truth is that the act of even bringing it up gets folks offended, it doesn't matter how carefully you approach it.

Which is why the solution to racism is not discussion.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hahaha, that loving deBlasio statement is pathetic.

It ends on, of all things, a MLK Jr. quote and a call for the community to come together with the police to find a peaceful solution -- a community that watched a cop murder a black man for no reason and get away with it. It's on them to fix it. As always.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Which is why the solution to racism is not discussion.

I don't think anyone thinks it is, or at least anyone smart. But it's an example of how hosed up this country is on race.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It ends on, of all things, a MLK Jr. quote and a call for the community to come together with the police to find a peaceful solution -- a community that watched a cop murder a black man for no reason and get away with it. It's on them to fix it. As always.

99% of the statements from authority figures since Ferguson, Garner, etc have all called on black people to be better victims. It's very frustrating.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The solution, of course, is full communism.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I know it's Eric Garner day, but I thought you'd all like to know the cop who shot 12-year-old Tamir Rice was a sobbing headcase who got axed from a smaller force before being employed by Cleveland's police.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

The solution, of course, is full communism kill whitey.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
deBlasio speaking right now.

"We can't stop. We have to act."
http://www.wsbtv.com/s/news/nation-world/live-video/

oh my god phone goes off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

The solution, of course, is full communism.

That or reparations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

He's speaking now and is doing a much better job but I don't where to tell you to stream it. I'm sure it'll be up somewhere soon.

He's literally saying he and his wife have had to regularly hope that his kids would be safe from cops when they went out at night.

e: oh someone linked it, good

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The United States President isn't going to come out and go "yeah you guys are right, gently caress the police." Presidents give weak statements because giving strong ones tends to cause unintended things to happen. You think the Republicans are bad now? If Obama came out and fully supported the protestors and told the police to gently caress off White America would probably get a lynch mob going outside the white house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alexzandvar posted:

If Obama came out and fully supported the protestors and told the police to gently caress off White America would probably get a lynch mob going outside the white house.

The Tea Party was out on Capital Hill this morning...

• Locked thread