Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Does anyone else have a hell of a time getting button assignments to stick for the flirc? I programmed a whole slew of buttons, saved the config and tried it out. A bunch of random ones didn't stick apparently. Not the first time it happens either. And half the time trying to erase a button assignment does not take either. Its just weirdly buggy for something which seems relatively simple.

Anything I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

Can the Zotac AD10/12 do simultaneous dual video output via HDMI and display port?

Another question, this time regarding Plex and buying a new mobo and CPU.

I'm looking to make the switch from XBMC to Plex and need to upgrade my ancient mobo/CPU to something a little more modern that can handle transcoding. At most it would be doing two MAYBE three 1080p streams at once, but three is the worst case scenario. Typically just one at a time. My only requirements are that the CPU be relatively low power if possible since my server is on 24/7. If the motherboard has 10 SATA ports that would be great. Thank you for any recommendations. While I'm comfortable building my own computer and installing all the parts myself I'm clueless when it comes to what parts to buy.

I'm looking for similar and so far the i3 4150 or 4160 looks to be the processor that fits the bill.

Still researching but that's what I've found thus far. Not sure on motherboard as I'm eyeballing Mini-ITX with just 4xSATA

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

wolfbiker posted:

Can the Zotac AD10/12 do simultaneous dual video output via HDMI and display port?

Another question, this time regarding Plex and buying a new mobo and CPU.

I'm looking to make the switch from XBMC to Plex and need to upgrade my ancient mobo/CPU to something a little more modern that can handle transcoding. At most it would be doing two MAYBE three 1080p streams at once, but three is the worst case scenario. Typically just one at a time. My only requirements are that the CPU be relatively low power if possible since my server is on 24/7. If the motherboard has 10 SATA ports that would be great. Thank you for any recommendations. While I'm comfortable building my own computer and installing all the parts myself I'm clueless when it comes to what parts to buy.

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 i3 for $219. Comes with everything except disks and it doesn't cheap out on the parts (ECC RAM, etc.). Has 5 SATA ports built in and you can throw in a SATA PCI-E card for the rest. I'm using it to stream multiple Plex transcodes. It's dead quiet and uses very little power at idle. You won't be able to build anything close to this for $219. The processor alone costs about $100 by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-70A4000HUX-i3-4130-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2/

Go check out the Amazon reviews. Half the people who've purchased it are using it for Plex.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 4, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'd like some advice - I want to turn my old HTPC into a NAS/Plex/PVR (it has a TV Tuner). Should I bother installing FreeNas or would Plex do everything I really need in terms of file sharing?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

10-8 posted:

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 i3 for $219. Comes with everything except disks and it doesn't cheap out on the parts (ECC RAM, etc.). Has 5 SATA ports built in and you can throw in a SATA PCI-E card for the rest. I'm using it to stream multiple Plex transcodes. It's dead quiet and uses very little power at idle. You won't be able to build anything close to this for $219. The processor alone costs about $100 by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-70A4000HUX-i3-4130-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2/

Go check out the Amazon reviews. Half the people who've purchased it are using it for Plex.

I'm Canadian and that would cost well over $500 for me up here. I already have case, backplanes, etc. Just looking for mobo/CPU.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

10-8 posted:

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 i3 for $219.

While we are on the subject, is the Xeon version for an extra $100 a good idea, especially if I want to virtualize all of this?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Heners_UK posted:

While we are on the subject, is the Xeon version for an extra $100 a good idea, especially if I want to virtualize all of this?

The Xeon supports VT-d and the i3 doesn't, so if you're going to do virtualization that may be important. I don't know how important VT-d is in real world usage. I see mixed opinions online.

The Xeon uses more energy (84W max vs. 54W max for the i3) and single thread performance is nearly identical so it basically comes down to whether you need the extra cores and the VT-d support.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Heners_UK posted:

Absolutely, plus you get the fancy HDD hot-swap trays in the TS440.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Krailor posted:

Absolutely, plus you get the fancy HDD hot-swap trays in the TS440.

The TS440 loses the two DisplayPorts and has only VGA so if you aren't running it headless keep that in mind. Other than that the TS440 is great if it's in your budget.

Edit: also the TS440 doesn't include the hard drive caddies so include those in your budget comparison.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 4, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

10-8 posted:

The TS440 loses the two DisplayPorts and has only VGA so if you aren't running it headless keep that in mind. Other than that the TS440 is great if it's in your budget.

Edit: also the TS440 doesn't include the hard drive caddies so include those in your budget comparison.

Actually, I was thinking of this one:

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4001LUX 5U Tower Server (3.2 GHz Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 Processor, 4 GB ECC RAM, No HDD, DVD-ROM, No OS) Black
by Lenovo
Link: http://amzn.com/B00FE29IWK

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Heners_UK posted:

Actually, I was thinking of this one:

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4001LUX 5U Tower Server (3.2 GHz Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 Processor, 4 GB ECC RAM, No HDD, DVD-ROM, No OS) Black
by Lenovo
Link: http://amzn.com/B00FE29IWK

If it's in your budget I doubt you'd regret it. I wanted to keep my server as cheap as possible so I stuck with the i3 but I would probably have gotten the Xeon with the TS140 chassis if money was no object. Essentially the only downside is the greater energy usage. If you don't care about the slightly higher energy bill and the $100 up front cost, go for it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok I'm going to take a giant poo poo on the Amlogic S802 based box (M8) I got from some Chinese manufacturer on advice from a goon here.

- Netflix is limited to 480p
- Some apps from the play store just refused to install, some would sideload just fine and others were very problematic requiring repacking and many edits
- Numerous crashes and freezes, this is a common firmware related problem according to many reviews
- Bizarre performance problems like video buffering for no reason in XBMC and sound hitching
- Last ditch effort to make something useful out of the device using a simple factory restore to remove the chinese bloatware left me with a bricked loving device

Stay far away from these pieces of poo poo, spend the money and get a FireTV or a NUC. I'm going to be returning this, I'm thankful I had a NUC already elsewhere in the house so this was just a failed experiment.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is there any benefit to getting an SSHD hybrid drive vs a normal hard drive if I'm just streaming video via Plex? I wouldn't think so but there's not much difference in price either.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

CFox posted:

Is there any benefit to getting an SSHD hybrid drive vs a normal hard drive if I'm just streaming video via Plex? I wouldn't think so but there's not much difference in price either.

None whatsoever. A small SSD cache as found in hybrid drives only helps when frequently accessing the same files repeatedly. Streaming video files means that you will always be pulling data from the HDD and never from the cache which means that that the SSHD provides no benefit at all.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
SSDs in HTPC situations are helpful for start-up of programs, booting the machine, and dealing with poorly designed HTPC software that doesn't cache the user interface very well for the hardware. Those situations for most users are really infrequent. XBMC/Kodi has options for a different image format to reduce load on lower power clients which can help with some situations, but unless you're looking at hundreds of thumbnails at a time in your UI, you're not going to get much performance benefits from an SSD there.

I have to reboot my Mac Mini all the time and it launches like five different things upon boot-up, so an SSD is probably a good idea for that. However, it's really not supposed to be needed in theory since it's meant to be on or sleeping and not lose HDMI sync permanently or randomly have something hog I/O mysteriously for hours like it does now. But waiting a full two minutes to boot a machine in 2015 is really tacky now if you ask me and SSDs are so cheap it shouldn't be a huge deal to use one instead of a regular hard disk. But I'm a crazy guy that's put thousands into different media devices and setups over the years now and $100 on an SSD is change for me.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 28, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok I'm going to take a giant poo poo on the Amlogic S802 based box (M8) I got from some Chinese manufacturer on advice from a goon here.

- Netflix is limited to 480p
- Some apps from the play store just refused to install, some would sideload just fine and others were very problematic requiring repacking and many edits
- Numerous crashes and freezes, this is a common firmware related problem according to many reviews
- Bizarre performance problems like video buffering for no reason in XBMC and sound hitching
- Last ditch effort to make something useful out of the device using a simple factory restore to remove the chinese bloatware left me with a bricked loving device

Stay far away from these pieces of poo poo, spend the money and get a FireTV or a NUC. I'm going to be returning this, I'm thankful I had a NUC already elsewhere in the house so this was just a failed experiment.

I'm pretty sure that me you're referring to. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. I don't know where yours and mine differed, I haven't had any of those problems, except for netflix I guess.

It's possible there's badly designed clone ones circulating out there that do not take kindly to other FWs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't remember who recommended it. Its my own fault for not doing more research first because I would've discovered all sorts of problems beforehand. It's not a clone as far as I can tell, I opened up the box to be sure and I didn't put any other firmware on it. It's just terrible to be honest. The whole draw of it was something that could do XBMC and all of the streaming apps but you need custom FW to spoof a tablet to even get some of those running in 720p. I had to open up this piece of crap and short 2 pins just to get it back to a default state, even the reset switch didn't work.

I would highly recommend anyone else thinking about one just get a FireTV or really anything else instead unless you want to sit around reading freaktab and dealing with the complete lack of any official support or QA from...anyone. The irony is that this actually cost more than the FireTV which I should've just bought in the first place.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I enjoy mine so much more than the FireTV I had, but to each their own.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My brother had the same sort of experience with his M8. Piece of poo poo.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Gozinbulx posted:

I enjoy mine so much more than the FireTV I had, but to each their own.

Goz is there any way you can link me to exactly the firmware that you're using for your M8? The bottom of mine says M8N and I'm trying to figure out the right ROM to throw on there. Is it this one:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?21062-NEW-Beelink-S82-S82H-M8-MXIII-amp-Tronsmart-S89-S89H-Finless-2-1-ROM

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

visuvius posted:

Goz is there any way you can link me to exactly the firmware that you're using for your M8? The bottom of mine says M8N and I'm trying to figure out the right ROM to throw on there. Is it this one:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?21062-NEW-Beelink-S82-S82H-M8-MXIII-amp-Tronsmart-S89-S89H-Finless-2-1-ROM

No, that's an entirely different box.

What I use is this, at the bottom of the first post:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?15529-NEW-Finless-1-8-for-EM8-Square-Box

Mind you, I've heard people say that for boxes labeled M8N (which I actually don't know what the difference is) they use JustMe's rom, which is this thread:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?17690-Sqaure-M8-JustMe-Roms-20140901-Till-Date

Like I said, I use Finless from link 1.

I'm not sure why I have had such a normal, non-problematic time with my M8 box but I friggin love it. I prefer to play around with my AOSP android rather than muck about with the FireTV launcher and Llama scripts and lack of root (although I got in on root before it disappeared so I even had that). I will concede the Netflix issue is not good, though I haven't given it much thought because A. I have netflix built into my TV and 2. I don't really use netflix.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I'm looking at cleaning up my services, I currently have a internet and a home phone through FIOS. I haven't used the phone in a year, so I'm going to cancel it, however if I don't keep a bundle my cost for internet goes up above what I currently pay (which makes perfect sense). I'm thinking of adding cable. I'd like to avoid renting an HD box and paying more for a DVR. I already have a nice Windows8 HTPC with WMC. I have an old Happauge 1600 card, that doesn't take a cablecard, so I think I need to buy something else.

I was thinking of getting the

HD SIlicon Prime Home run PVR Tuner Whatever

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...d+silicon+prime

I have enough Amazon creds where this is basically free.

Looks like I just palm slap a cable card in there (that Verizon is LEGALLY required to rent to me for a reasonable monthly fee), connect the COAX from my already existing FIOS router, put the PRIME on my network and point my WMC PC at it somehow. Then I can use my HTPC like I already do, and watch TV and all that through WMC on it. I figure I'll have to fight with FIOS, but besides navigating the bureaucrating nightmare at Verizon, my plan is pretty solid.

Bonus question, if my HTPC were to die, I can still access the TV Feed from the HD Silicon prime from any DNLA receiver, right?

Side note, I tried to call Verizon today to change my services, and after hearing "estimated hold time is one minute" I was on hold for 45 minutes, I then hung up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

So I'm looking at cleaning up my services, I currently have a internet and a home phone through FIOS. I haven't used the phone in a year, so I'm going to cancel it, however if I don't keep a bundle my cost for internet goes up above what I currently pay (which makes perfect sense). I'm thinking of adding cable. I'd like to avoid renting an HD box and paying more for a DVR. I already have a nice Windows8 HTPC with WMC. I have an old Happauge 1600 card, that doesn't take a cablecard, so I think I need to buy something else.

I was thinking of getting the

HD SIlicon Prime Home run PVR Tuner Whatever

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...d+silicon+prime

I have enough Amazon creds where this is basically free.

Looks like I just palm slap a cable card in there (that Verizon is LEGALLY required to rent to me for a reasonable monthly fee), connect the COAX from my already existing FIOS router, put the PRIME on my network and point my WMC PC at it somehow. Then I can use my HTPC like I already do, and watch TV and all that through WMC on it. I figure I'll have to fight with FIOS, but besides navigating the bureaucrating nightmare at Verizon, my plan is pretty solid.

Bonus question, if my HTPC were to die, I can still access the TV Feed from the HD Silicon prime from any DNLA receiver, right?

Side note, I tried to call Verizon today to change my services, and after hearing "estimated hold time is one minute" I was on hold for 45 minutes, I then hung up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=439541076#post439541076

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thermopyle, is there a way to somehow connect the coax output of a cable box to an HD Homerun, tune it to channel 3 (old school) and then somehow get IR blasters (which I already have but not sure how to connect them to the computer) to change the channel on the box? Using a PC?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

Thermopyle, is there a way to somehow connect the coax output of a cable box to an HD Homerun, tune it to channel 3 (old school) and then somehow get IR blasters (which I already have but not sure how to connect them to the computer) to change the channel on the box? Using a PC?

No, the hdhomerun's do not have analog tuners.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Not exactly. Any copy protected channels won't work unless the device supports a particular type of encryption that very few things support. Also, the video is high bitrate MPEG2 so 1) HD channels aren't really usable over standard wifi and 2) many cheapo DLNA receivers don't include MPEG2 support.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

No, the hdhomerun's do not have analog tuners.

How about what I just proposed but using an old usb-to-rca video card thingys sold for transfering vhs tapes and such.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Naffer posted:

Not exactly. Any copy protected channels won't work unless the device supports a particular type of encryption that very few things support. Also, the video is high bitrate MPEG2 so 1) HD channels aren't really usable over standard wifi and 2) many cheapo DLNA receivers don't include MPEG2 support.

My HTPC is over Wi-Fi and can record 3 shows at a time just fine.

XBMC can see it and stream from it, at least on my Fire TV.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

clockworx posted:

My HTPC is over Wi-Fi and can record 3 shows at a time just fine.

XBMC can see it and stream from it, at least on my Fire TV.

That's pretty impressive, though I'm certain you've got a relatively modern wifi setup for that to work. Wireless-G in a moderately congested area is going to have difficulty with a single 12 Mbit stream. XBMC is also a super capable client. I was more referring to devices like the Roku boxes, most of which I think don't support MPEG2.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I guess your point is don't screw around with this, just keep paying for Hulu/Amazon/Netflix and then just pirate everything else?

Naffer posted:

Gotcha, but a Win8 WMC is well supported and will work fine, right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I guess your point is don't screw around with this, just keep paying for Hulu/Amazon/Netflix and then just pirate everything else?
Yes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay for cable? 8+8+8+10? (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VPN for safe downloading).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay for cable? 8+8+8+10? (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VPN for safe downloading).

Sorry, I meant yes to the idea of paying for something to cover your moral needs, not specifically those services.

Pay whomever you feel you need to, or no one at all.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Netflix is totally worthwhile. Hulu sucks (I think) and amazon prime is good for shipping stuff for free, if you want to watch stuff from it thats just a bonus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, I meant yes to the idea of paying for something to cover your moral needs, not specifically those services.

Pay whomever you feel you need to, or no one at all.

Wow, a mod recommending to use :filez:. What a brave new untumblerfied SA we are living in. I like it.

Gozinbulx posted:

Netflix is totally worthwhile. Hulu sucks (I think) and amazon prime is good for shipping stuff for free, if you want to watch stuff from it thats just a bonus.

Netflix is alright, but Hulu Plus is a joke. The worst part about Hulu is that even if you have Plus it has commercials and a lot of the programming on it requires you to have a cable subscription to watch anyways. There is almost nothing worth watching on Amazon Prime (besides I guess Veronica Mars).

EDIT: The best part about Hulu is that if you cancel you get two free months. You can also do Bing searches and use the points to get free Bing. I wrote a bash script that does a bunch of random Bing searches and it gets enough every couple weeks for a free month.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I wrote a bash script that does a bunch of random Bing searches and it gets enough every couple weeks for a free month.

Just make sure you spend your points and don't hoard them. I got banned for botting doing the same thing and foolishly had accumulated a ton of points via referrals and laziness in not spending them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Medullah posted:

Just make sure you spend your points and don't hoard them. I got banned for botting doing the same thing and foolishly had accumulated a ton of points via referrals and laziness in not spending them.

Yeah, I cash out as soon as I get the Hulu points or a $5 Amazon card. I don't have any reason to save them. There's no big money rewards anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Do they not have xbox controllers and $400 toasters anymore? The old live? game botting poo poo i got 2 xbox controllers /w wireless adapters, a Rachael ray cookbook, a couple games, and a $400 toaster.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Netflix is alright, but Hulu Plus is a joke. The worst part about Hulu is that even if you have Plus it has commercials and a lot of the programming on it requires you to have a cable subscription to watch anyways.

I like Hulu just fine for a lot of things, but would never pay for Plus. I tried it for a month, but kept running into things that wouldn't play on "mobile" devices (no, I don't think my Xbox 360 is a mobile device). Having to watch ads was just another "gently caress you" on top of that. I just use regular Hulu through my Windows HTPC's browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Uthor posted:

I like Hulu just fine for a lot of things, but would never pay for Plus. I tried it for a month, but kept running into things that wouldn't play on "mobile" devices (no, I don't think my Xbox 360 is a mobile device). Having to watch ads was just another "gently caress you" on top of that. I just use regular Hulu through my Windows HTPC's browser.

I have a Windows 8 PC for a HTPC, so Hulu works well on it. A lot of times though I'll end up just downloading a show on a torrent because there's so many ads, and a lot fo the ads are either for crazy scary stuff (thanks, Hulu, my three year old really needs to see three Sleepy Hollow ad every five minutes during an episode of Parks and Rec).