Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Zephro posted:

It is closed at night.

Also if you're more than 8 people and want to cross it, you need to apply for permission beforehand, because otherwise you might Protest, and that's not what we want.

Also you might well have to buy tickets for it.

Also no, there isn't a general right of way.

What's to stop protest groups organizing into small 7 person teams and starting a protest while already on the bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What's to stop protest groups organizing into small 7 person teams and starting a protest while already on the bridge?

Rules are flexible for those that have the power.

I nearly missed the "dog-end voters in the outlying regions" thing. Didn't seem to provoke as much outrage as the picture of a house.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Absolutely nothing, and that's how any demonstration there would start.

The real question is how loving grim would it be to have police line off the only two exits from the area so they could take their good sweet time aggressively processing everyone.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The police

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the Highline in New York is a cool park, it used to be at the end of my street, near enough, but that was making the best use of an abandoned (elevated section of) subway and turned it into a cool tourist attraction where you could walk from 50 something to 12th street in a nice little urban park thing.

building a bridge especially for this seems a little silly

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I wish they'd do that with the old railway arches on the south side of Birmingham centre. They could make a great little elevated mini park with them, but that area isn't being redeveloped yet.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
via Faisal Islam's twitter feed:

Housing Market Responses to Transaction Taxes: Evidence From Notches and Stimulus in the UK

quote:

We provide evidence on the effect of property transaction taxes (stamp duty) on house prices, the timing of house purchases, and the volume of house purchases. To address these questions, we exploit administrative stamp duty records covering the universe of property transactions in the UK from 2004-2012 along with compelling sources of quasi-experimental variation. First, discontinuous jumps in the stamp duty at threshold property prices—notches—allow us to estimate the effect of the tax on house prices. Second, anticipated and unanticipated changes in the tax schedule allow us to estimate the dynamics of price responses and timing effects on house
transactions. Third, a stimulus program that temporarily exempted certain properties from tax—a stamp duty holiday—allows us to provide micro evidence on both timing and extensive margin responses to macro stimulus policy.

We find that the effect of transaction taxes on house prices is large (between 200-500% of the tax itself) and that dynamic adjustment to changes in transaction taxes is very fast. We also find that the timing of house transactions responds sharply to anticipated tax increases. Finally, temporary cuts in transaction taxes successfully stimulate housing market activity in the short run—an elimination of the tax increases transaction volume by about 20%—followed by a slump in activity after the policy is withdrawn. However, post-stimulus reversal is far from complete (between 30-40% of the initial boost), implying that stimulus has a long-run extensive margin
effect in addition to a pure timing effect. This contradicts recent findings in the literature and has potentially important implications for evaluating macro stimulus policy.

TL,DR: little cut in stamp duty (like the one we just got!) = big sudden jump in house sales and prices, with a sizeable fraction of the increased volume being sustained

Meanwhile, here are the OBR's expectations for house price inflation over the next five years without accounting for the effects of the SDLT changes:

Not a property owner? Oooops, that was careless of you, wasn't it?

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 4, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

"There's this chance to stitch London together, and with something that isn't just about treating the river as an obstacle to breach," Heatherwick told the BBC.

"Instead this will be a place to linger and look at the most incredible city in the world, and be able to stay in that position without having a bus come past or a car or a lorry or a motorbike."

London is such an incredible city, if only it could be without all those icky people who live in it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought we needed incubators and body armour, not an alternative bridge

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HE NEEDS FREE MOVEMENT ACROSS THE CAPITAL
NOT
HANDOUTS FOR SKIVERS

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Another fun (intended?) effect of Osborne's reworking of stamp duty is that it changes the SNP's variant of the same reworking into a tax increase for most homebuyers whereas it was previously a tax cut for those entering the lower end of the property market.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Policemen with truncheons?

I think Mark Thomas tried to organise something like this when they banned protesting outside Parliament unless you had a permission slip from the headmaster the police. They wanted people to do hundreds of individual protests all at the same time. Dunno what happened.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Well, in ten years time when nobody can afford a house, the bridge will make a good campsite for the homeless I guess

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
This doing the rounds on Facebook:

FaceBook posted:

I would really like to have this debate in public face to face. To see what people have to say…

My parents made me homeless at 15. I had nowhere to live, no clothes, no money and I actually had to leave the apprenticeship I was training with as social services couldn’t find me any where to stay locally. I have no GCSE’s and wasn’t given another opportunity to re sit them. Like a caged animal I was transported every week to a different b&b or children’s home, I was always miles away from any kind of family at all and still to this day my family relations are limited.

I was on the missing persons register at least 5 times throughout the duration of my teens as I was always so desperate to escape!

At 16, I was homeless, I wasn’t yet an adult but I wasn’t a priority for the government either. I spent nearly 1 and a half years living rough, on the streets on strangers sofas, being abused by grown men falling out of nightclubs at 3am, followed by groups of teenagers, beaten up by adults and left for dead and the reason for this was because my benefit that I qualified for, left with nothing, left me with no home, no food, no clothes and no one to ask for help. I got £30 a week, I was expected to cover all of these things with this!? Utterly ridiculous. But funnily enough I coped for another year as not one person gave me any help or advice in understanding why I wasn’t being paid a reasonable amount. I had no choice but to find a job, I suffered for a long time without a home, because I am gay, of course I cannot accidentally get pregnant and it was never something I thought about until now in my mid twenties but it would have been so much easier to be housed if I had a child. It gives you automatic rights to a house or flat!?! Because I was a care leaver I was offered a house at 19, which is miles away from the nearest city or town, was in a very poor condition when I moved in and was too expensive for me to afford. I have now been here over 5 years and after being made redundant without any pay. I am now working three jobs to pay the bills and the rent, I still struggle every month and I haven’t got a penny for Christmas, no money whatsoever, I cannot afford to save and it astounds me that the message we are giving the next generation is that Christmas is about getting stuff your parents can’t afford. Instead of being thankful that they have a home and a family at the possibly the loneliest time of the year for a lot people!

Here’s a message, whilst you’re all justifying or judging these peoples lives and actions… Do something to help, give tins or long life food to food banks! Do something that makes a difference to someone with nothing. I have only touched on 20% of my story and I have kept it very PG.

I would give anything to have had a family Christmas in the last ten years, I’d also give anything to find a better job, but nonetheless I have a job and for that I am thankful! No job is beneath anyone, money is money, minimum wage or £30,000 a year. We all have to start somewhere!

Trust me if a 24 year old with no qualifications, severe mental health issues and a past that haunts them everyday can get out and get employed by 3 different employers then anyone can. If you can actually try had enough you can do almost anything.

(Link to story in the daily mail ‘jobless couple spend £1,500 on Christmas for their two children).

TLDR; woman leaves home at 15, string of homelessness and abuse due to lack of gvmt help. But it's OK, because she tried hard and got 3 jobs which barely get her by now.

I'm pretty convinced this is a Daily Mail plant, or they paid her to write it. Is she saying that government sanctioned abuse and homelessness to prod you into finding work is OK? I suppose she hasn't even considered the fact that she got lucky in finding work, and that others might live in places where there genuinely aren't any, or have conditions that make it impossible. Or how about the fact that private sector wages are so hosed that she needs 3 jobs to barely get by?

The number one thing that wound me up about it though is what I call the S Club 7 effect. As in Don't Stop, Never Give Up. It's easy to convey that message when it worked for you. It's confirmation bias. This woman is literally saying if she can do it, anyone can, which just isn't true, and is the kind of attitude that is making and keeping tens of thousands homeless and in poverty.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zephro posted:

Policemen with truncheons?

I think Mark Thomas tried to organise something like this when they banned protesting outside Parliament unless you had a permission slip from the headmaster the police. They wanted people to do hundreds of individual protests all at the same time. Dunno what happened.
He did it, and turned the whole escapade into one of the best stand up shows I have ever seen. Up until recently he held the world record for most protests within a single day.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EvilGenius posted:

TLDR; woman leaves home at 15, string of homelessness and abuse due to lack of gvmt help. But it's OK, because she tried hard and got 3 jobs which barely get her by now.

I'm pretty convinced this is a Daily Mail plant, or they paid her to write it. Is she saying that government sanctioned abuse and homelessness to prod you into finding work is OK? I suppose she hasn't even considered the fact that she got lucky in finding work, and that others might live in places where there genuinely aren't any, or have conditions that make it impossible. Or how about the fact that private sector wages are so hosed that she needs 3 jobs to barely get by?

The number one thing that wound me up about it though is what I call the S Club 7 effect. As in Don't Stop, Never Give Up. It's easy to convey that message when it worked for you. It's confirmation bias. This woman is literally saying if she can do it, anyone can, which just isn't true, and is the kind of attitude that is making and keeping tens of thousands homeless and in poverty.

There's some stuff in there that leads me to wonder if the last paragraphs were tagged on or changed in some way. I don't think the Daily Mail would be so supportive of food banks, for instance, and there's an argument that benefits are inadequate. But yeah, she(?) doesn't really acknowledge other people being in the same position at all, and there is definitely a 'what are you lazy poors complaining about? :smug:' feel to it.

I could certainly believe that the actual author tried to come up with a situation that was as far as possible from their own experience and that of their intended audience and came up with 'homeless lesbian with mental health issues'. If somebody so blatantly Other (without being an immigrant!) could get (lovely) work, then why couldn't all homeless people/poors?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

EvilGenius posted:

The message is "people are selfish, teenage sluts get houses, I slave away to survive and I'm grateful for the chance for it". It's daily mail fodder of the highest caliber, save that she's gay. Similar poo poo gets thrown up regularly, like the "I could be getting benefits but I'm proud and not a scrounger so I work myself into an early grave" stories, or that ATOS arsewipe who was all "I'm disabled and I can do it, everyone else is lazy". It doesn't matter if it's real or not, it's very effective propaganda because its hard to argue against without pointing out the logical fallacies right away which bores the poo poo out of the average commenter who doesn't want facts or logic when a cuddly image of a "try hard striver who is getting along in today's Britain" comes along.

gently caress facebook, burn humanity into the ground imho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, I'm convinced. If she can work three jobs and still not have a penny to spare for Christmas, the system obviously works and we don't need a social floor or any of those icky 'benefits'.

"No job is beneath anyone, money is money, minimum wage or £30,000 a year."
Imagine how much could be redistributed to universal income or public services if this was the acceptable range of after-tax income :haw:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
There's also the link to the barely related story of the family on benefits that allegedly spent £1,500 in their two kids at Christmas - a story which is meant to convey benefits as being overly generous, which completely contradicts what this woman said about her experience on benefits. It also implies support of current government policy - the same government who don't want any benefits at all for people under 25.

Also, I had a mate who left college and went straight onto JSA and was on £55 a week, despite the fact that he lived with his parents, and this will have been around 2002. How come this care leaver was on £30 a week, five years ago?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EvilGenius posted:

There's also the link to the barely related story of the family on benefits that allegedly spent £1,500 in their two kids at Christmas - a story which is meant to convey benefits as being overly generous, which completely contradicts what this woman said about her experience on benefits. It also implies support of current government policy - the same government who don't want any benefits at all for people under 25.

Also, I had a mate who left college and went straight onto JSA and was on £55 a week, despite the fact that he lived with his parents, and this will have been around 2002. How come this care leaver was on £30 a week, five years ago?
She was 16 at that point, apparently, so it may not have been JSA that she was on? I'm more on the side of 'this is pretty much fake' now, but it's also not uncommon for people who have gained work after extended unemployment to be immeasurably smug and superior about it. It doesn't fail entirely as a sincere argument in that case; it's just not a great one.

Edit: With no family or friends her Christmas would be pretty dismal anyway!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DesperateDan posted:

The message is "people are selfish, teenage sluts get houses, I slave away to survive and I'm grateful for the chance for it". It's daily mail fodder of the highest caliber, save that she's gay. Similar poo poo gets thrown up regularly, like the "I could be getting benefits but I'm proud and not a scrounger so I work myself into an early grave" stories, or that ATOS arsewipe who was all "I'm disabled and I can do it, everyone else is lazy". It doesn't matter if it's real or not, it's very effective propaganda because its hard to argue against without pointing out the logical fallacies right away which bores the poo poo out of the average commenter who doesn't want facts or logic when a cuddly image of a "try hard striver who is getting along in today's Britain" comes along.

gently caress facebook, burn humanity into the ground imho

'If I can do it, why shouldn't you?'

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Cant we spend all this money/attention on some sort of incentive to leave program, id gladly get the gently caress out of this shithole in exchange for a crash course in spanish or italian and 5 grand start up money.

What sort of start up are you thinking of? If it is something you can run from anywhere then Spain is probably best in terms of setting up a business (although UK is easier). But if you're looking to employ people somewhere free from racism those are not the first places I would pick haha! As for language learning, I've found Michel Thomas tapes invaluable, coupled with reading exercises using app Duolingo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EvilGenius posted:

It smacks of the old 'it only the current situation that's a problem' mentality - see also 'immigration was fine before, older immigrants came when we needed them, but now it's different. Hypothetical woman had a tough time in the past, what a shame, but she made it! But now people on welfare live like kings. No it doesn't really make any sense if you think about it, but these things are posted to push certain buttons. Honestly it doesn't even read like it was all written by the same person, it goes from 'while you're judging these people's lives and actions...' to 'if I can get three jobs anyone can if they actually try' within a few sentences

I mean there's like three main messages in there
- I've had a hard life and the welfare system barely helped - here's my miserable experience 'on benefits'
- Do something to help instead of just judging people, because even a few tins can really make the difference for people in poverty
- Teaching kids that Christmas is about consumerism is a huge problem, especially for all the people in dire financial situations - it should be about family and being thankful for what you have

Then for some reason there's also
- I'm gay so I can't accidentally get pregnant, I hear teenagers with children get housing priority wtf is THAT about??!
- No job is beneath anyone!
- If people don't have a job they're just not trying!

The first bit sounds like the basis of a debate to have in public, the other stuff sounds like a bunch of non sequiturs shoved in later. The Heil link isn't so bad in itself, as an example of 'look at this pernicious issue where poor people feel they have to spend so much on Christmas', but it was obviously published as a loving outrageous scroungers bit and the facebook story reads like it was tweaked to give it some of that flavour :shrug:

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/3/7325919/uk-announces-a-google-tax-to-stop-companies-diverting-profits-overseas

I'm sure the accountants will be thrilled at all the billable hours this will generate figuring out the new work around. But I'm still surprised that Osbourne even gave this little hat tip to the problem of corporations funnelling all our money overseas.

quote:

The British Chancellor of the Exchequer, responsible for setting the UK's budget, today announced plans for a new 25 percent tax intended to close loopholes that presently see multinational companies extracting their profits to lower-tax regimes like Ireland. It has already been described as a "Google tax," though it affects a practice that is widespread across the tech industry and others beyond it: Apple, Amazon, Starbucks, and others have all been subject to scrutiny about the ways in which they account for their profits.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Conservative MP Mark Pritchard arrested over alleged rape

quote:

The Conservative MP Mark Pritchard has been arrested over an allegation of rape.

The Metropolitan police confirmed that a 48-year-old man – understood to be the Tory MP for The Wrekin, in east Shropshire – was arrested on Tuesday in London.

Scotland Yard said he was arrested after voluntarily attending a north London police station and had been bailed until early January.

There was no reply when the Guardian attempted to contact Pritchard’s constituency and parliamentary offices.

Hopefully this means a byelection will get a proper politician into the seat, say from a party like UKIP :unsmigghh:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Tories throwing away the election, I'm smacking my lips

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Which whiny baby buys these avatars?

Please speak up you little turd and explain why it was worth sending money to some American guy.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 4, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Which whiny baby buys these avatars?

Please speak up you little turd and explain why it was worth sending money to some American guy.

If it's good enough for government outsourcing, it's good enough for us. :v:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The name Mark Pritchard rings a bell. Remind me what the little turd's done in the past.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
He's only been arrested so far. He could have just been on the wrong bridge at the wrong time.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
He's a Tory, so expect plenty of victim blaming and dirt digging on the accuser over the next few weeks from the press :-(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Umiapik posted:

The name Mark Pritchard rings a bell. Remind me what the little turd's done in the past.

He actually looks quite different to the average Tory. Very humble beginnings, pissed off some Etonians and swore at the Speaker.

quote:

For the first five years of his life he was brought up in an orphanage in Hereford,[2] and later grew up in foster care living in a council house. He told his local newspaper that his early years were years of "love and warmth" and that he did not have "a single bad memory" of his time in the orphanage.[3]

He was educated at Aylestone School – a comprehensive school in Hereford – and was quoted in the London Evening Standard as having established The Old Boys Comprehensive Lunch Club, "to show the Conservative Party as a broad church".[citation needed] It was reported that this upset some privately educated MPs, notably Old Etonians.

Pritchard was at the centre of a political story in 2010 when he had a public confrontation with the Speaker of the House of Commons, who had told him to stand aside in a corridor. Pritchard then told him, "You are not loving royalty, Mr Speaker!" This slogan soon found itself on t-shirts.[18]

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Umiapik posted:

This perhaps?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10429208/Mark-Pritchard-MP-my-annual-fee-would-be-3000-a-month.html

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think hes the MP my brother hates vehemently but I can't remember why.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Osborne's new postgraduate student loans are kind of amazing because of what they do to marginal tax rates:

Marginal income tax rate for a postgraduate borrower on <£42k: 50%
Marginal income tax rate for a postgraduate borrower on >£42k: 60%
Marginal income tax rate for a 50-something hedge fund executive on £1m+bonus: 47%

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guavanaut posted:

Is there a generational requirement there or is one drop good enough?

Non-white blood is like Ice-9, one drop and it completely overwhelms the purity, I guess.

Zephro posted:

He succeeded, sort of, and set a world record (that has since been beaten) of 20 protest in 20 different places in one day. He basically had a wheelie bin full of permission slips that they were wheeling around while protesting in various locations.

I think the crowning achievement was when he had a police escort into the middle of an anarchist melee so he could protest something (can't remember what exactly)

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 4, 2014

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Umiapik posted:

afaik the last time he was in the news was because he was one of those targeted in the Tory PR girl twitter thing that took down Brooks Newmark. He got some secret settlement from the Sunday Mirror over it.

Ddraig posted:

He succeeded, sort of, and set a world record (that has since been beaten) of 20 protest in 20 different places in one day. He basically had a wheelie bin full of permission slips that they were wheeling around while protesting in various locations.

I think the crowning achievement was when he had a police escort into the middle of an anarchist melee so he could protest something (can't remember what exactly)

He did a stand-up show about it which is pretty good (I have it on audio). Funniest bit for me was when they realised the law didn't specify what form the written request had to take and were sending them in iced on cakes and so on.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 4, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The New Black posted:

He did a stand-up show about it which is pretty good (I have it on audio). Funniest bit for me was when they realised the law didn't specify what form the written request had to take and were sending them in iced on cakes and so on.

Ddraig posted:

sometimes the uk is good + cool

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jeremey Thorpe's passed away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

sometimes the uk is good + cool

Mark Thomas is pretty great. I'm disappointed I missed his 100 Acts of Minor Dissent show which he toured earlier in the year, but annoyingly I was out of work when he came to Inverness and couldn't afford it. Loved the premise though. The Mark Thomas Comedy Product was one of the first things I remember that made radical politics seem really righteous and exciting, even though I was probably 12 when it started on Channel 4 and too young to really understand why the bastards were truly bastards. It's a shame there's nothing like that on these days.

• Locked thread