Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

edit: restarting the AppleTV (menu+down for 6 seconds) got it back to stereo mode for iTunes Radio. I don't suppose there is a way to get the center channel on for music?

Assuming the Apple TV sends out a 2 channel signal when playing music, Dolby PL II Music works really well in upmixing a 2 channel source to 3,5 or 7 channels. There is also "5 channel stereo" which turns your setup more into a PA type system. I use Dolby PL II when sitting down and listening. I use 5 channel stereo when I'll be doing other stuff, moving about, or entertaining guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sweet. Thanks.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
I ordered the PSW505 when it went on sale and just got it yesterday. Due to Christmas tree and the room bring rearranged I had to just put it where there was room. That being said, even in a non optimum location it sounds amazing! First this watched with it was Guardians of the Galaxy and now I could never go back to not having a sub. I do have one question though. Once holidays are done and I can do the sub crawl, what is a good track to use to listen to to find the best spot to put the sub?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dale Meets Wall posted:

I ordered the PSW505 when it went on sale and just got it yesterday. Due to Christmas tree and the room bring rearranged I had to just put it where there was room. That being said, even in a non optimum location it sounds amazing! First this watched with it was Guardians of the Galaxy and now I could never go back to not having a sub. I do have one question though. Once holidays are done and I can do the sub crawl, what is a good track to use to listen to to find the best spot to put the sub?

Movie or music?

http://open.spotify.com/user/killhour/playlist/78RiJZNolFp45dyWl8Fnsq

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dale Meets Wall posted:

Once holidays are done and I can do the sub crawl, what is a good track to use to listen to to find the best spot to put the sub?

I use the landing scenes from Saving Private Ryan. If the mortar strikes sound good the setup works. For music Pomp and Circumstance is a pretty decent track. You can use whatever you're familiar with, really.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What kind of sorcery does marantz have that they can do these slim rear end receivers and no one else does?

Are they good receivers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Don Lapre posted:

What kind of sorcery does marantz have that they can do these slim rear end receivers and no one else does?

Are they good receivers.

They are owned by the same company as Denon, supposed to be the more audiophile ones versus the home theater Denon. I don't think anyone knows how much tech they share, though. Which receivers are you looking at that are slim? When I was window shopping their AVRs awhile back the ones I was looking at were about the same size as everyone else.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

taqueso posted:

They are owned by the same company as Denon, supposed to be the more audiophile ones versus the home theater Denon. I don't think anyone knows how much tech they share, though. Which receivers are you looking at that are slim? When I was window shopping their AVRs awhile back the ones I was looking at were about the same size as everyone else.

Just window shopping honestly. I have a nice pioneer already.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Looks like the slim models are only 50W/ch, I imagine that is the magical secret.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ohh, good eye.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NewEgg has the Polk PSW505 down to 139.95 if you use Paypal (30 dollar discount) free shipping.. Best price I've ever seen.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

Have you considered either a 3.1 or a soundbar? Does he listen to music with the system?

I looked at some of the soundbar options and they are cool but dad has his heart set on surround sound. He'd like the flexibility to listen to music on there for my mom.

I'm thinking of looking up some cable installers in the area and paying someone to go and run some cabling for him. If he could get wires from where he's situated his chairs over to where the TV is so he could use a regular receiver a lot of this hassle would go away. There's a crawlspace under the house for this but it's a pain in the rear end to access and crawl through.

If we can get wires between point A and B then so many cheaper and more reliable solutions open up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just get one of those Vizio sounds bards with the rears and tell him it's surround sound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dave posted:

Just get one of those Vizio sounds bards with the rears and tell him it's surround sound.

SUPER STREET FIGHTER 3 WITH SURROUND "Q" Sound

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So my system is going to be here tomorrow and my room is going to be tricky to get the 5.1 speakers set up and have it look really good and subtle.

So I was wondering, is it really bad to have the two rear speakers closer together behind seats, and pointing outwards? That would just gently caress with the feel of back left vs. back right sounds wouldn't it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Dave posted:

So my system is going to be here tomorrow and my room is going to be tricky to get the 5.1 speakers set up and have it look really good and subtle.

So I was wondering, is it really bad to have the two rear speakers closer together behind seats, and pointing outwards? That would just gently caress with the feel of back left vs. back right sounds wouldn't it?

Im a little confused in how you mean. But your rear speakers should be 2-3 feet above your head when sitting. Running a wire through the wall is easy peasy also.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean instead of having a speaker on the left, pointing inwards, and one to the right, pointing inwards, having both more centered in the back, pointing outwards. I'd draw a diagram if I wasn't on my phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, i dont think that would work unless they were really far behind the couch and you angled them to try and bounce off the walls.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Aside from the $100 price difference does anyone see any big differences between the Denon AVR-x2100w and the Denon AVR-s700w?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

dalstrs posted:

Aside from the $100 price difference does anyone see any big differences between the Denon AVR-x2100w and the Denon AVR-s700w?
First glance and I see that the more expensive one has more HDMI inputs, more RCA audio inputs, and it supports composite/component input if any of that matters to you. Also 20 more watts of stereo RMS power.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The more expensive one also has MultiEQ XT, while the less expensive one only has MultiEQ. And 4K scaling / analog conversion to HDMI. And a web interface and nicer GUI.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avr2100w
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs700w

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey if you guys are looking for some good cheapish speakers the new NHT super line is on sale on Amazon
SuperZero [4.5" woofer]: $84.00 each
SuperOne [6.5" woofer]: $134 each
These are sealed so they don't have the deepest bass but they're also super accurate and easy to place. I haven't heard the new 2.1 models yet but I'm looking at the SuperOnes for my own system.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

qirex posted:

Hey if you guys are looking for some good cheapish speakers the new NHT super line is on sale on Amazon
SuperZero [4.5" woofer]: $84.00 each
SuperOne [6.5" woofer]: $134 each
These are sealed so they don't have the deepest bass but they're also super accurate and easy to place. I haven't heard the new 2.1 models yet but I'm looking at the SuperOnes for my own system.

My guess is the answer is yes but would you expect these to be a serious upgrade over the Pioneer speakers everyone recommends? I've just been waiting for a sale on those but would be willing to spend more if it was worth it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SteveMcQueen posted:

My guess is the answer is yes but would you expect these to be a serious upgrade over the Pioneer speakers everyone recommends? I've just been waiting for a sale on those but would be willing to spend more if it was worth it.

I haven't heard the Pioneers myself so I can't be definitive about that but if you poke around for reviews (most will be for older versions) they're always praised for their insane value for money. Of course the Pioneers are $100 a pair and that's always hard to beat. The SuperZeros are a lot smaller cabinetwise so I'd imagine the individual driver and tweeter are probably a fair bit nicer. As far as the SuperOnes given that they're over twice as expensive I'd expect them to sound noticeably better. I also like that because of the size and lack of port you can just buy 5 of the same speaker for surround sound. If you're not going to get a sub it's important to be aware that the SuperZeros roll off around 90hz.

Somehow clicking around on Amazon I ended up here and thinking about my if-I-won-the-lottery system [these are what THX uses in their own studio]. Well my lottery winner HT system, I'd have a separate one for music...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Not related to the NHT speakers, just wanted to post about my new toys:
I upgraded my fronts and center to Primus Infinity P163 and PC351 a couple days ago. These really rock, they are so much more capable than my old Micca MB42X. Much better low end, better sensitivity, better power handling. They are also about 6x as big. The Miccas would distort when I wanted to get really loud. I really think the P163 are a super deal at $59/ea, amazon's current price. If the floorstanding version goes on sale for $99 like it has before, I will probably get a pair and move the P163s to front height or front width duty.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
If anyone would be so kind as to help, I need some receiver and possibly speaker selector/controller purchasing advice and I have no clue what I need or if I can even get it.

Current setup:

Main front left and right speakers are a couple old boses that sound fine. Yeah I know Bose rip off etc but my wife has had them forever and I have no clue where she got them from, and we don't really think they need to be replaced.

Main room with tv also has speakers in ceiling, front and rear pairs.

There are an additional 2 pairs in the dining and living room (same ceiling speakers, no clue what brand)

I have installed pairs of Yamaha outdoor speakers in both the backyard and the garage.

All the speakers except the boses go to a cheap 6 pair monster speaker selector I bought that goes into the b speaker input on our current receiver. The boses go into the a speaker input on the receiver

The receiver is an old as gently caress Yamaha something, everything works now, except for these issues:

1. Sometimes when the receiver is turned on, we only get sound from one side (right or left, both a and b). The fix for this is to turn up the volume until the other side clicks on. My assumption is that this means the receiver is on it a last legs and malfunctioning, but I have no clue.
2. When we have people over and want music in multiple rooms and the backyard (so Like 4-5 pairs at once) the receiver will trip off after a while, I assume this is a power overload issue.
3. Inconsistent volume. If I want to go out back and listen to music, I have to blast the volume everywhere to hear it well, which blasts the hell out of any other room it's on in, not ideal.

So really what I think I need is a new receiver that can handle 7 pairs of speakers on its own or with a speaker selector (if this exists). Mutlti zone possibility would be awesome so I can listen to music out back for example while my wife watches a movie in the tv room. Also I think I probably need a speaker controller with independent volume control unless there is a receiver capable of doing this.

Money is not a concern, but value is. We mainly watch tv and listen to music through an iPod or the radio, and half of it is sesame street or the wiggles. We don't watch a lot of action or crazy surround sound movies, we don't need the best sounding everything, I just want a nice thing that does what I want it to do and sounds fine enough for normal people. if it's gonna cost me a grand for some bells and whistles receiver with all these features then I'm in, but if I can get it for 200 bucks and it's functional even better.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You want a multi zone amp, but the issue with the channels cutting in and out is probably just a dirty volume pot that contact cleaner will fix. But that's not fixing the bigger issue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

zonacat posted:

if it's gonna cost me a grand for some bells and whistles receiver with all these features then I'm in, but if I can get it for 200 bucks and it's functional even better.

You will be able to get quality receiver with zone 2 for less than $500. A refurb AVR-X4000 is $600, and that is probably a lot more receiver than you need/want. Be a little careful when shopping, some have restrictions on what kind of sources can be sent to zone 2 (often digital sources won't work).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

taqueso posted:

You will be able to get quality receiver with zone 2 for less than $500. A refurb AVR-X4000 is $600, and that is probably a lot more receiver than you need/want. Be a little careful when shopping, some have restrictions on what kind of sources can be sent to zone 2 (often digital sources won't work).

I don't know if this is any good, but Amazon has this 6-zone amp for less than $200: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSPVC6-6...+zone+amplifier

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I don't know if this is any good, but Amazon has this 6-zone amp for less than $200: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSPVC6-6...+zone+amplifier

This is the exact thing I was looking at as far as the selector and thinking I would just pair it with a new receiver with multi zone support and set it up like I have it now. (with this going into one speaker zone in the receiver and my main speaker pair going into another.)

Do I need to be looking at anything specific with the receiver besides the multi zone support? Like does it need to have some kind of minimum power rating to run all these speakers at once? Sorry to know nothing about this stuff as can probably be inferred.

Thanks for the feedback so far to both of you. I will look at the avr-x4000 thingy right now

Edit: ok now I looked at the receiver posted above (the denon). it looks like I can hook all the speakers up to it at once without the seperate speaker selector, is that correct? Any clue if I can then also control volume individually to all pairs or if there is only one system volume? Also can you control which sets of speakers are on or off or is it all on or all off? It would make things much easier to have only one device to do everything.

As far as running a second zone, it wouldn't need to be anything fancy. It would be just the tv in room 1 and the radio or iPod through aux cable in room 2, 3 or backyard or garage.

zonacat fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 5, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think that Pyle unit on amazon is a discreet 6 zone amp, so unless you're running crazy speakers, you won't need to add extra power. You can have 6 pairs of speakers running with separate on/off and volume control. It might be bottom of the barrel audio fidelity but I think it does what you want.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can run that Denon in all-channel stereo mode and turn the channels on and off in the speaker config menu, but that isn't how it is intended to be used really. It only has 2 zones that it can control under normal operation. The all-channel stereo mode will get around it, but something like the Pyle is designed for what you are doing. The typical setup would have a receiver running a set of local speakers as Zone 1 (considered the primary zone with all the bells and whistles and surround sound stuff), and then feed the pyle through zone 2 pre-outs (usually with a lot less fancy processing available).

I only mentioned the Denon because I knew the price offhand and it is a nice one that can do full zone 2 with any input. You could probably get a $300 receiver if you shop a bit.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Cool. Sounds like what I may need is a reasonable main unit that supports 2 zones that I can hook up the 3 main room pairs to (the main speakers and the 2 ceiling pairs) and then Pyle makes a 4 pair version of that above controller for 100 bucks for the 4 other pairs.

This is exactly the info I needed. Thanks so much.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Any of you guys built DIY subs for your setup?

I have a Crown X1000, (300x2 @ 4 ohms/600x1 @ 8 ohms), that I plan to push a DIY sub/subs with and trying to figure out which drivers to go with. Leaning hard toward two Infinity 1260w's in 1.5 sealed enclosures like this guy did: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1519758-cheap-easy-dual-sealed-infinity-1262w-s-using-diysoundgroup-flat-packs.html

Or possibly dual opposed 1260w's in a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure. I listen to music a lot with the setup so I'm leery of going with a single large driver like an SI HT 18. The price of the 1260w's is enticing. I don't have a dedicated theater room anymore so it's hard to justify sinking a ton of money into equipment like I have in the past.

Any input is appreciated.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Scrapez posted:

I have a Crown X1000, (300x2 @ 4 ohms/600x1 @ 8 ohms), that I plan to push a DIY sub/subs with and trying to figure out which drivers to go with. Leaning hard toward two Infinity 1260w's in 1.5 sealed enclosures like this guy did: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1519758-cheap-easy-dual-sealed-infinity-1262w-s-using-diysoundgroup-flat-packs.html

Or possibly dual opposed 1260w's in a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure. I listen to music a lot with the setup so I'm leery of going with a single large driver like an SI HT 18. The price of the 1260w's is enticing. I don't have a dedicated theater room anymore so it's hard to justify sinking a ton of money into equipment like I have in the past.

I built a sub for my setup. The 3dB point is at 15Hz, which I am incredibly happy with. I was aiming for bass extension over loudness, but it still gets louder than the rest of my system.

I did a lot of simulation with WinISD to get an idea of what I could get from various drivers and enclosure sizes. I decided a 12" driver would max out what I could fit in my room.

I ended up using a Dayton RSS315HF-4 driver, in a 4.5 cuft enclosure, with port tuned to 19 Hz. Amp is a Yung SD300 with boost removed and high-pass filter modified to 16 Hz.

I am using a mac-mini running linux and ecasound to do real time equalization of the sub. That was fun to get going, but if you aren't a linux geek, a minidsp is a more practical idea.

I had a lot of fun designing and building (and using) my sub, I would recommend you do it. Definitively take your time, read a ton of stuff and simulate a ton.

Here is mine, unfinished. (Finish yours before you start using it, or you will have a hard time giving it up long enough)

Oh, and I think going with two subs is a great idea. I would like to make a 2nd one, but I need to stop spending money on this stuff for awhile.

e: I also realized that I really miss the speaker building thread from years ago.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 5, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

About to be all newb here.

Just set up my Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers with a Denon 1100w. Everything seems to be working, system seems a little tame. However if I go to Denon's internet radio all of a sudden everything is super loud, super bassy, the sub is going crazy. If I'm watching TV or airplaying though, the system is way more tame. Anyone have any insights on that? I thought maybe the was just the difference of listening to TV vs. Music, but I feel like my Airplaying of music is not as loud as the internet radio channels.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 6, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Scrapez posted:

So I realized my last post wasn't actually very constructive. Here is a sim of the 1260W, 1 sealed @ 1.5cu(orange), 2 sealed@3cu (blue), and 1 vented @2.6cu/24hz(grey).

The vented setup I have in the graph isn't really practical, the vent has to be really long and big to avoid port noise. (I have 2 4" vents 43" long in the sim) You will get room gain, so the low frequency response of the sealed config will be better than it looks.

If you have two of the 1-driver subs in the same room, you should get 6dB increase, same as 2 drivers in the same box. With multiple subs you can tame the room response better and you could run in stereo or with different eq for each sub if you get a receiver that supports it. Plus you already have the stereo amp.

That driver does seem like a banging deal. 13mm xmax, 300W, and loud for $60.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Back to my issue, I solved it for airplay at least, it was the dumb mode it was on. Switched it to 'Music' and the sub kicked in.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Hi again everyone. The Klips that were recommended a while back are gone. Are these good value speakers on craigslist or should I keep looking?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/4766013853.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Veskit posted:

Hi again everyone. The Klips that were recommended a while back are gone. Are these good value speakers on craigslist or should I keep looking?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/4766013853.html

A lot of people have issues with entry level B&W speakers, I guess, but they're well built and every bit as good if not better than anything you could buy new for $80. I haven't heard that specific model, though.

Goes without saying that they're a better deal at 60 than 80.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 6, 2014