Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That was a bad time for me to edit my post. You may think the stuff I've added is less reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The premise is actually "What if Batman were also Spider-Man?" and considered in that light it makes much more sense.

I remember getting a few issues of Spider-Man 2099 and they felt really similar in setting and in some of the powers

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Nick has confirmed that the titles posted earlier for the last four episodes are legit. Poop, I was really hoping for "Avatar Korra" or "Korra" for the final episode.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Episode 12's title can only mean one thing:

METAL GEAR

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If there's another goddamn kaiju fight I'm gonna be pissed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Sharmat posted:

If there's another goddamn kaiju fight I'm gonna be pissed.

If it's a kaiju that is defeated by metalbenders climbing and bending the poo poo out of it, i'm all in.

Or Toph is the colossus.

Either way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe it'll be the entire banyan tree grove coming to life and defending itself or something. That could be good or it could be really stupid depending on how it's handled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My money's on a giant robot operated by Bataar, and taken out by Bolin and Varrick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's no way it's not Aang's statue.

Wait I forgot, does Korra have one too yet? Oh man, STATUE FIGHT?!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's no way it's not Aang's statue.

Wait I forgot, does Korra have one too yet? Oh man, STATUE FIGHT?!

Korra's statue is like 1/5 the size of Aang's.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hiddenriverninja posted:

Korra's statue is like 1/5 the size of Aang's.

Even better, Kuvera jacks her statue in some stupid smug 'now watch your glory die' thing, Korra and maybe the other metalbenders grab Aang's and just stomp her. It'd be way funnier than the last giant monster fight we had.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So Baatar Jr. is gonna be piloting the giant metal spider from Wild Wild West then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Legend of Korra finale: it's basically just Wild Wild West.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not gonna lie, that's a really tempting title change

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Legend of Korra finale: it's basically just Wild Wild West.

Shouldn't it be Wild Wild East?

OW I'M SORRY PLEASE STOP HITTING ME

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Metal bending fights are cool.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Superstring posted:

Metal bending fights are cool.

This is good and true and I hope it extends to swords and mechs. Perhaps both at once. Sword mechs. Swechs. (Mords?)

If there should ever be another series in this franchise, I hope they get even more modern, with new bending subschools as well to reflect the changing times. Behold... the PLASTICBENDER

That doesn't sound very impressive, huh

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This episode was really great. You can never have too much Beifong in your show.

Zhu Li, I knew you had it in you. :allears:

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
great episode. finally some fights that are decently choreographed. no lavabending tho ):

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Torquemadras posted:

If there should ever be another series in this franchise, I hope they get even more modern, with new bending subschools as well to reflect the changing times. Behold... the PLASTICBENDER

That doesn't sound very impressive, huh

I had the same idea for the future too; I was thinking that in the future, as the world gets more and more globalized, the distinction between humans and spirits and between the four elements would eventually be forgotten, as bending evolves into a bunch of incredibly niche abilities, like plasticbending, machinebending, etcetera. Then the series could be about the place of the Avatar in such a world--if such a thing ever existed.

Anyway enough of my fanfic! I was happy to have Toph involved, but I was a bit sad that she basically confirmed we wouldn't be seeing a scene where she, Katara, and Zuko team up to wreck poo poo. (Unless... that's their way of hinting that there WILL be such a scene!)

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love how they finally revealed who Lin's dad is, and it's just some random guy.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

MachuPikacchu posted:

I love how they finally revealed who Lin's dad is, and it's just some random guy.

Yep, biggest laugh of a great episode. Also liked Juicy

I like how they retroactively explained why Katara didn't get involved in season 2. Let's wrap up fan questions in obvious ways!

Also, Jr showed some humanity for the first time. What's the likelihood Kuvira will prove too ruthless even for him by the end?

Sato fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 5, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hahaha, I like how Kuvira's superweapon gun looks like the Paris Gun:

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Looks like Lin and Kuvira both utilized the Edward Elric arm-blade technique in this episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"So... how have you been, mother?"
"I told you never to call me that."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Episode was good that is all

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

JT Jag posted:

Episode was good that is all

Pretty much this. Nothing too surprising or controversial. Zhu Li Zhu Li-ing Kuvira wasn't unexpected at all. I look forward to her reunion with Varrick. The metalbender vs. metalbender fight was thrilling and well choreographed.

I wonder what Korra's going to do about the spirits now. I assume she's going to convince them to join her side somehow, but she doesn't have much time left.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I wonder what Korra's going to do about the spirits now. I assume she's going to convince them to join her side somehow, but she doesn't have much time left.

My guess is that it will be like Wan with the Aye-Aye Spirit: they'll watch how it goes and once they see that Korra isn't like Kuvira or the other humans they'll join in.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Metalbender fight was amazing. I actually said "Oh wow!" out loud when Su ripped out that panel and formed armor around herself. Su seems to have a gift for improvising that fits with her free-spirited nature.

Although thinking about it, isn't that more of a liability when you're fighting someone with ferrokinesis? They'd be able to lift you and throw you around, or even form it into inward-facing spikes to kill you.

I detected no flaws or errors in the plot in this episode, so I deem it acceptable.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I really like how Su, Lin, and Kuvira all have earthbending styles that are completely distinct from one another. In particular, I love Su's more acrobatic style.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DrSunshine posted:

Although thinking about it, isn't that more of a liability when you're fighting someone with ferrokinesis? They'd be able to lift you and throw you around, or even form it into inward-facing spikes to kill you.
I'm guessing the further you bend something away from your body, the less control you have over it. So something that is directly on your body, like armor on a metalbender, they'd be able to bend quicker than a metalbender ten feet away trying to bend it. It'd probably be like, they'd feel a tingle of the other metalbender trying to bend their armor and they undo the bending with hardly a thought.

It's probably a terrible idea for non-metalbenders to wear metal armor though yeah.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's probably what Fire Nation tank generals thought when Toph started her metalbending academy. They were probably like "Wellp, pfft, there goes our entire warfighting capability forever. :rolleyes:" Maybe that's why the Fire Nation has become an isolationist power, at least until they learn how to manipulate force fields or quantum gravity or something.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bit of a shame Zhu-Li decided to hide a bit of metal from a metalbender, but I'm guessing she didn't have much time.

Overall, really good episode. Now to wait a week for the next one. Maaaaaan.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Wu did have to ruin it, though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That fight ruled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That fight loving ruled.

I'm glad Bolin was actually fairly competent this episode but Mako summed him up perfectly while literally a continent away: "You always have to ruin it". Just once I'd like him to do something awesome without him immediately having to undermine it somehow. :sigh:

E: Same goes for Wu. It was nice that he actually accomplished something, though, and I liked the episode a lot all around.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2014

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

DrSunshine posted:

Hahaha, I like how Kuvira's superweapon gun looks like the Paris Gun:

So that's what it was! I knew that I saw it somewhere, but couldn't remember where. I first thought of Final Fantasy 7 (nb.: fascinating convergence, given that both are essentially powered by spirit stuff), but I knew it must have been something real-world. Thank you for taking care of that itch, that would have bothered me forever.

Also, good episode. Everyone was on their best behaviour. Even Bolin and Wu. :3:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Best part of the episode.

Although in retrospect, wearing metal armor in a metalbending fight isn't the best idea.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zhu Li was giving her best. :3:

And Toph owned. Still the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Echoing the usual that the Su/Kuvira fight was pretty :krad:. As someone mentioned earlier, mad props to the production staff for having a fight that was composed completely of earth & metal benders, and still being able to show the primary combatants each have their own unique fighting styles. While Suyin & Kuvira obviously stole the show, I still love Lin's bending style. It's wonderfully rough and gritty, and every strike she makes looks like, rather then bending metal, she's going to rip through it via pure strength.

If I have one complaint about this episode, it's my usual gripe that Bolin can't do anything smart or heroic without an immediately following comedy bit at his expense. I actually really liked that he went off to save Zhu Li, even over the protests of Opal, Lin, and his idol/hero Toph - whom he could otherwise barely even speak to. It's absolutely in character for him considering both his own personality and his genuine desire for redemption, and his decision to go despite the protests of pretty much everybody was a really uplifting moment in my opinion. So of course, it's immediately shat on in his very next scene when he interrupts Lin & Toph's reconciliation like a total dumbass. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread