Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

SedanChair posted:

Kyrie didn't know that until this morning. He was going about his business praying directly to saints, as though they were gods and he was a lamentably heretical syncretist polytheist.

"You can pray directly to saints, asking them to pray for you to God. It is called intercessory prayer" seems to me entirely in line with CCC 2683 - "we can and should ask them to intercede for us and for the whole world".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I like Kyrie's new avatar. Who did it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cavaradossi posted:

"You can pray directly to saints, asking them to pray for you to God. It is called intercessory prayer" seems to me entirely in line with CCC 2683 - "we can and should ask them to intercede for us and for the whole world".

Is asking the same as praying? If you pray to people on earth is that OK?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Pray to Joe Pesci.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

I like Kyrie's new avatar. Who did it?
Pope Francis.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

SedanChair posted:

Prayer is not an individual task. One prays in communion with the saints, and in communion with the body of Christ on Earth - the Church. So in your prayer it is natural to petition for others, or to ask others to petition for you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

Prayer is not an individual task. One prays in communion with the saints, and in communion with the body of Christ on Earth - the Church. So in your prayer it is natural to petition for others, or to ask others to petition for you.
So what exactly is the purpose of prayer? Are you just thanking God? Are you trying to put yourself closer to God? Are you asking God for things (even if those things may mostly be mercy and charity)?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

So what exactly is the purpose of prayer? Are you just thanking God? Are you trying to put yourself closer to God? Are you asking God for things (even if those things may mostly be mercy and charity)?

Quit intervening in the affairs of the lord, petty mortal!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I really don't like some aspects of the jesus man.
I mean love thy neighbor and quick booze own, but leaving all my poo poo behind to do the lords work? We can't all just miracle up bread and fish like you nigga :mad:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

yes

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Illegal Username posted:

I really don't like some aspects of the jesus man.
I mean love thy neighbor and quick booze own, but leaving all my poo poo behind to do the lords work? We can't all just miracle up bread and fish like you nigga :mad:

You could if you had faith the size of a mustard seed!

But seriously, you're not only allowed to work as a Christian, but it is a duty: "If any one will not work, let him not eat."

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

Thanking God is prayer of thanksgiving (CCC 2637 - 8); asking God for things is prayer of petition (2629 - 33) or intercession (2634 - 6). Yes, prayer is "the raising of one's mind and heart to God".

Remember - ACTS. Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, Supplication.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CommieGIR posted:

drat it, now you are on the ignore list.

I'm starting to wonder if Kyrie has anyone not on ignore in this thread and in that case what's the point in continuing to post in it if you can't read anyone's posts?

Kyrie eleison posted:

But seriously, you're not only allowed to work as a Christian, but it is a duty: "If any one will not work, let him not eat."

Lenin was such a great Christian.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Muscle Tracer posted:

If YHWH were real, it would be a weak god and a stupid one, unworthy of worship on the grounds of its inability, not only to command its creations, but even to coherently demonstrate its existence. It is a groveling creature, one at the mercy of its very creations, outmatched by all but the feeblest intellects.

Only by killing can we survive. Death permeates every moment of life: the Blood is life, and the Blood is death. Such is the cruel beauty and incontrovertible truth of Khorne.

But what is death if not decay? Everything that dies decays, every object erodes, and every civilization fades to dust sooner or later. Everything that dies decays, but not everything that decays needs to die. Long after the last living organism drains the last drop of blood from his own body, as Khorne gnashes his teeth once the blood finally stops flowing, Plaguefather Nurgle will continue relishing in watching everything humans spent so long building crumble into dust. Decay permeates every moment of existence, for the moment that anything is created it begins its decay. All hail the Plaguefather!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Kyrie has anyone not on ignore in this thread and in that case what's the point in continuing to post in it if you can't read anyone's posts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDslMyevFo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Like most false Christians Kyrie prefers the sound of his own voice.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Like most false Christians Kyrie prefers the sound of his own voice.

christianity is dumb and bad and calling people 'false christians' or whatever like liberals like to do is stupid. you can just call them dumb and wrong. it's OK

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:qq: Why aren't you guys agreeing with meeeee :qq:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:qq: Why aren't you guys agreeing with meeeee :qq:

the dude is a gimmickposter who loves Catholicism and anime, i don't think he's here for rigorous debate and discussion

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

You could if you had faith the size of a mustard seed!

First, that was Paul who said that, not Jesus. (And it was from a letter, so we're already playing the telephone game.)

Second, a better translation would be “is not willing to work”, which implies that you're talking about a person who could do work, but won't, rather than "everybody has to work to eat no matter what".

Third, I didn't know you were a Leninist, you certainly don't sound like one anywhere else.:v:

Fourth, I presume this means you oppose Pope Francis turning the "Bishop of Bling's" $46 million dollar mansion into soup kitchen for the poor?

No seriously, that's why I like Pope Francis, he actually cares about helping the poor rather than saying "You can't work, you can't afford food for yourself and your family? Haha go die in a gutter." Kyrie, please be more like Pope Francis. Pope Francis is a cool dude.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

fade5 posted:

First, that was Paul who said that, not Jesus. (And it was from a letter, so we're already playing the telephone game.)

It's from scripture, it's inspired by God (CCC 106)

fade5 posted:

Second, a better translation would be “is not willing to work”, which implies that you're talking about a person who could do work, but won't, rather than "everybody has to work to eat no matter what".

He's still right - the quote still means that if you can work, you should, it is a duty to do so.

fade5 posted:

Fourth, I presume this means you oppose Pope Francis turning the "Bishop of Bling's" $46 million dollar mansion into soup kitchen for the poor?

No seriously, this why I like Pope Francis, he actually cares about helping the poor rather than saying "You can't work, you can't afford food for yourself and your family? Haha go die in a gutter." Be more like Pope Francis Kyrie.

I doubt it. There are many reasons why a person could not be able to work, and could need the help of a soup kitchen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

He's still right - the quote still means that if you can work, you should, it is a duty to do so.

I doubt it. There are many reasons why a person could not be able to work, and could need the help of a soup kitchen.
What if the conditions are such that there is not work available for you to do? Are you obliged morally to work in a way that injures yourself for a pittance (relative to your immediate area)? If the only work available is immoral in nature, is it obligatory to take it anyway, because you are morally obligated to work if you can?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

What if the conditions are such that there is not work available for you to do? Are you obliged morally to work in a way that injures yourself for a pittance (relative to your immediate area)? If the only work available is immoral in nature, is it obligatory to take it anyway, because you are morally obligated to work if you can?

No, if you desire work but it isn't available, then you still will work - ie, you are willing to work. It's just not possible. The quote is from a passage against laziness

11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.

not against economic disadvantage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fade5 posted:

Third, I didn't know you were a Leninist, you certainly don't sound like one anywhere else.:v:

No seriously, that's why I like Pope Francis, he actually cares about helping the poor rather than saying "You can't work, you can't afford food for yourself and your family? Haha go die in a gutter." Kyrie, please be more like Pope Francis. Pope Francis is a cool dude.

While the current Pope is better than the last he's actually not quite as progressive as some people try to make him out to be. Saying that gays and atheists aren't the scum of the earth should be the bare minimum we should expect and not worthy of much praise. And he certainly hasn't done anything to bring the pedophiles his church is safeguarding to justice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Who What Now posted:

While the current Pope is better than the last he's actually not quite as progressive as some people try to make him out to be. Saying that gays and atheists aren't the scum of the earth should be the bare minimum we should expect and not worthy of much praise. And he certainly hasn't done anything to bring the pedophiles his church is safeguarding to justice.
I wouldn't say "anything" though I'd agree he could do more. Nonetheless this is better than Pope Sidious, whose official statements were, I believe, "well, it's really the fault of the gays, now isn't it?" possibly followed by "1488".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I wouldn't say "anything" though I'd agree he could do more. Nonetheless this is better than Pope Sidious, whose official statements were, I believe, "well, it's really the fault of the gays, now isn't it?" possibly followed by "1488".

We had such lofty goals.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'd been resisting but I had to drop into this thread and see if people have been, for 72 pages, sincerely debating a crazy person.

jfc D&D

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

Has he actually done anything besides say that he's against it?

The Protagonist posted:

I'd been resisting but I had to drop into this thread and see if people have been, for 72 pages, sincerely debating a crazy person.

jfc D&D

We get bored easily.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Has he actually done anything besides say that he's against it?
He's excommunicated at least one and supported efforts to try a priest accused in the Dominican Republic. It's not exactly the Pedo Inquisition of course.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Here's a pretty good forum for D&D posters... has some epic memes. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's a pretty good forum for D&D posters... has some epic memes. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism

I think you should go try to save their souls through passive aggressive threats of damnation and smug moral superiority.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

But if you too post in D&D, are you not included? Have you become... euphoric?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
soo you might be asking "when is the end coming"

youre welcome

e: I mean for this thread. This thread cannot be closed until then

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 5, 2014

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Nessus posted:

btw, it isn't directly reciprocal prayer=reward; imagine you have a meter that builds up power, and when it fills up you get a limit break for ultimate attacks and moves you couldn't normally do.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kyrie eleison posted:

Haha, thanks for the rec' friend! :) Here's a site I found for ya, seems like some cool people who'd be into talking about this stuff more with you http://www.freerepublic.com.

1488! :keke:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rodatose posted:

btw, it isn't directly reciprocal prayer=reward; imagine you have a meter that builds up power, and when it fills up you get a limit break for ultimate attacks and moves you couldn't normally do.

Prima is my favorite book of the bible too.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rodatose posted:

soo you might be asking "when is the end coming"

youre welcome

e: I mean for this thread. This thread cannot be closed until then
It's gonna be a long time, but I am so gonna enjoy laughing at these guys once the eclipse starts, happens, and passes and nothing happens; no Jesus, no earthquake, no nothing. Just like the Millerite's Great_Disappointment, just like Harold Camping's May 21, 2011 Rapture, just like the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse (the Mayans didn't actually predict an apocalypse, but it was twisted to mean that anyway), just like every other Apocalyptic prediction that has failed to happen.

Seriously, you want the one apocalypse that's actually gonna happen? Wait about 5 Billion years, then the Sun's gonna expand into a Red Giant and either burn the Earth to a crisp or consume it completely. That's the real coming Apocalypse. Mark your calendars.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 5, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

fade5 posted:

It's gonna be a long time, but I am so gonna enjoy laughing at these guys once the eclipse starts, happens, and passes and nothing happens; no Jesus, no earthquake, no nothing. Just like the Millerite's Great_Disappointment, just like Harold Camping's May 21, 2011 Rapture, just like the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse (the Mayans didn't actually predict an apocalypse, but it was twisted to mean that anyway), just like every other Apocalyptic prediction that has failed to happen.

Seriously, you want the one apocalypse that's actually gonna happen? Wait about 5 Billion years, then the Sun's gonna expand into a Red Giant and either burn the Earth to a crisp or consume it completely. That's the real coming Apocalypse. Mark your calendars.

The Andromeda collision is something like only 4By away! :science: Granted we may not get thrown out of orbit, that'll be more of a nailbiter. Also a gamma ray burst could come ripping through at any moment... the Universe has plenty of Perfectly Normal apocalypses on tap, really no need to turn to religion for that either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought in seven or eight hundred million years, the sun's slowly increasing emission of light and heat will start boiling the oceans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I thought in seven or eight hundred million years, the sun's slowly increasing emission of light and heat will start boiling the oceans?

Turn into a red giant. Yes.

• Locked thread