Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo, I wonder how good Farcry could be if they had no explicit story at all and put all the development time from the story into just giving you more guns and more places to shoot guns...

Make an Arma-like in Dunia...

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just beat FC3 with ziggys mod for the first time. I'm thinking about playing through FC2 next, is there anything like a Ziggys mod for that?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

Is there any hint that there will be a "Blood Dragon" of FC4? I liked that even better than the main game in FC3. Though obviously they can't just do the same thing again, it would have to be a different concept/aesthetic. Like a high fantasy version of the game or something.

I don't think so. The season pass offering thing has a list of DLC that you'll get later, and all of them are related to FC4. Although the escape from Durgesh prison will probably be amazing, because Durgesh prison was probably the most fun in the entire game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I don't think so. The season pass offering thing has a list of DLC that you'll get later, and all of them are related to FC4. Although the escape from Durgesh prison will probably be amazing, because Durgesh prison was probably the most fun in the entire game.

Blood Dragon wasn't DLC tho, it was a standalone game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

poo poo.

The real problem with doing this is vanishing bullet syndrome. They designed FC3's map around not being able to shoot for more than 250 meters usually but in this one you can definitely be scoped in on a guy 450 meters away with a sniper rifle and not have it do poo poo because the bullet despawns after 300. Aside from snipers its also noticeable in SMGs.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

big mean giraffe posted:

Well I've beaten the main campaign, and captured everything. Got a solid 20 hours out of it and had a lot of fun loving around, but I think I might have to trade it in or sell it because I can't see myself playing it more.

I'm like 20 hours in and I've done maybe half the campaign missions. I always set out to do a mission and then maybe get to it like 2 hours later.

Earwicker posted:

Is there any hint that there will be a "Blood Dragon" of FC4? I liked that even better than the main game in FC3. Though obviously they can't just do the same thing again, it would have to be a different concept/aesthetic. Like a high fantasy version of the game or something.

I would say yes, because this is Ubisoft and if they have success with something you can pretty much count on them putting out another iteration.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector_666 posted:

poo poo.
Where was Far Cry 1 set? I think South America seems fertile rgound for a far cry setting, with all of the gangs and drug crimes and people fleeing and/or sending their children to other countries to live somewhere safer, lately. Next protagonist will be named Jorje Jimenez? "Hola Jorje!" "Hiyas George!"

Also you could have more entertaining Breaking Bad easter eggs than the one note about blue crank in FC4.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo, I wonder how good Farcry could be if they had no explicit story at all and put all the development time from the story into just giving you more guns and more places to shoot guns...

You mean Far Cry 2?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Where was Far Cry 1 set?

It was a fictional chain of South Pacific islands I believe.

"South America" is a bit broad, I mean that's a huge continent so they'd have to narrow it down somewhat of course, but I agree there are many areas there which would be perfect for a Far Cry game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rookersh posted:

You mean Far Cry 2?

I don't understand the reverence people have for that game. It's fine but it some crippling design flaws that bring it down. The tech in it is really solid, however. Is it because the game is hardcore nihilistic and people think that's deep and mature or something?

Does anyone else miss the super run from Far Cry 3 (and Blood Dragon)? It would go perfect in this setting and would give you an extra boost to the wingsuit.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Still can't play coop without crashing out. Are they going to fix this?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

nutranurse posted:

I have never hated eagles this much my entire life. I'm such a poo poo shot when it comes to the things that either I unload an entire clip shooting at it or I give up and try to lure it to some civilians or soldiers.

Ditto. Requesting thread title change to "I've had a long night and I fuckin' hate the eagles, man."

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just came across a game breaking bug in one of the Longinus missions. It keeps saying I failed and then loads up again, can't fast travel or quit the mission. It just loops endlessly. It loads, says I failed about 5 seconds later, then fades to black and loads again. Anyone else seen this? I found some posts on ubisofts forum, no solutions of course. It seems to happen on pc and ps4. I had all the towers and outposts done, 49% complete and now I'm hosed. Thanks ubisoft.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/959672-Final-Longinus-Mission-Loop-Game-Breaking-Bug-Forums

Seriously look at this poo poo. Not my video but that's the bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTcVHPcf5hc

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 5, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Earwicker posted:

It was a fictional chain of South Pacific islands I believe.

"South America" is a bit broad, I mean that's a huge continent so they'd have to narrow it down somewhat of course, but I agree there are many areas there which would be perfect for a Far Cry game
Is it really any less broad than "Nepal/Tibet/China/Himalayas/India/etc"? I thought the entire point of the latest couple Far Cry games was to provide a lite version of a murder vacation in a remote part of a third-world area. In S America you've got gangs, jungles, predators, weird hallucinogenic frogs, native people who wear funny hats (old ladies in bowlers are pretty silly if you're not from Peru for instance), llamas and alpacas, amazing ruins and cave systems (how about that huge crystal cavern in Mexico? ) children who're wandering alone to flee from possibly death and likely poverty (although having kids in a game where you can light a tiger on fire and sic it on an NPC is a bit problematic), religious and cultural holidays and celebrations which involve all manner of wild imagery, corrupt government, and even crazy and sometimes even dangerous white people along the northern border and dropping E in the tourist havens. Hell you could even throw in Cuba and Jamaica for shits and giggles if you wanted to make some smaller island areas off the coast.

Speaking of frat boys going to tourist havens, when will Far Cry get wave physics and surfboards? Para-surfing is pretty rad.. Smuggling drugs to the US via home-built submarines and crazy-deathtrap cigarette boats on long midnight odysseys... :ohdear:

Hell you don't even need warlords, you've got the literally the richest man on earth (for several year period at least) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim right there in Mexico - do some jobs for him! And Willis can drink Margaritas on the beach while he sends you on missions!

Eastern Europe or the Mediterranean is not super topical right now, and frankly running around in slovakia or something sounds kinda cold and grey and bleak.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 5, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In coop do you guys use Uplay's voice chat or something else like skype?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Is it really any less broad than "Nepal/Tibet/China/Himalayas/India/etc"?

I thought it was specifically a Nepal or Bhutan like country? I didn't realize it was supposed to represent the whole of India or China or anywhere other than the Himalayas. A Far Cry game set South America game would be great, I just mean it would have to be a more specific region like the Andes or a country like Peru.

quote:

Eastern Europe or the Mediterranean is not super topical right now, and frankly running around in slovakia or something sounds kinda cold and grey and bleak.

I don't think I saw anyone here suggesting Slovakia but, I mean they do have summer there it's not always a cold or bleak place. But it would be a pretty boring setting for a video game. The eastern Mediterranean or the Adriatic coast and the Balkans however could be cool settings for a FC game.

quote:

In S America you've got gangs, jungles, predators, weird hallucinogenic frogs, native people who wear funny hats (old ladies in bowlers are pretty silly if you're not from Peru for instance), llamas and alpacas, amazing ruins and cave systems (how about that huge crystal cavern in Mexico?

You do realize that Mexico is not in South America right?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 5, 2014

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Man, I thought you guys were exaggerating about the Buzzsaw. I was wrong. :stare:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone explain to me what the gently caress is going on in the prison part?

E: Farcry Australia would be cool, you even have oppressed Aboriginals to fit into the formula. At the end you beat up Tony Abbott with a boat.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You got drugged.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ragingsheep posted:

You got drugged.

I saw the soldier stab me but why do they leave the door open and allow me to roam and make a grappling hook and escape. If you die, you go back into your locked cell and Yuma tells you to jump and then it goes back to being unlocked again and it was really confusing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I saw the soldier stab me but why do they leave the door open and allow me to roam and make a grappling hook and escape. If you die, you go back into your locked cell and Yuma tells you to jump and then it goes back to being unlocked again and it was really confusing.

They leave the door open because it's a prison on a mountainside, they assume escaping is futile. The cutscene after you jump is just the video game telling you it was a bad trip dream and now you're really waking up, but still tripping.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I don't understand the reverence people have for that game. It's fine but it some crippling design flaws that bring it down. The tech in it is really solid, however. Is it because the game is hardcore nihilistic and people think that's deep and mature or something?

Does anyone else miss the super run from Far Cry 3 (and Blood Dragon)? It would go perfect in this setting and would give you an extra boost to the wingsuit.

I don't have a reverence for the game at all. Unlike Ddraig I can understand it's a massively flawed game.

The thing is though, Far Cry 2 did exactly that. It's the first game that ever listened to the people that said "Only gameplay matters! :black101:" and just made a game about nothing but gameplay. Constant, nonstop, extremely high quality gameplay. You will almost always be in combat, with maybe 4-5 minute lulls, and that combat is fast paced, difficult, and most of all fun. Rather then write big scripted operas about the nature of man or some poo poo, they made something like 40-50 big sandbox locations that all vary greatly in tone/verticality/ways you can attack them.

And I'm not talking about the outposts, but the actual mission zones, which all respawn after you leave, for you to come attack again later. This is on top of the wide vary of weapons, all of which are useful.

It's not a perfect game, but it's the answer to his question. What happens if they just rip out the story. Well then people get really pissy because they don't have enough motivation to shoot a whole bunch of outposts.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just started playing this. The mouse controls feel super clunky and not smooth. Anyone else experienced this? I've tried playing with mouse sensitivity and acceleration and they don't seem to help much.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Far Cry 2 stuff

Hit the nail on the head there. I've found it difficult to describe what exactly I liked so much about FC2 and that's it, it's the unrelenting pressure you're under just making your way through the world. It's a very different feeling to 3 and 4, less escapism and more just survival. Where as I can sit down with FC4 and blow poo poo up for an hour or so and have a great time, fun is hard to find in FC2 unless you're working towards a goal. It's too dangerous and stressful just to drive about gunning things down.

Bold Robot posted:

Just started playing this. The mouse controls feel super clunky and not smooth. Anyone else experienced this? I've tried playing with mouse sensitivity and acceleration and they don't seem to help much.

Followed a bunch of supposed fixes online, nothing really worked for me. Modifying the "GamerProfile.xml" located in My Games/Far Cry 4, lines "Smoothness="1"" and "Smoothness_Ironsight="1"" and changing them "1"s to "0" made a slight improvement but it never felt "right". It's not a very precise, fast and challenging game so the mouse feel didn't bother me too much, it's certainly disappointing though. Dropping V-SYNC, reducing frame render ahead settings in the driver and getting to a point where I had a stable framerate made the biggest improvement in the mouse controls.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 5, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Earwicker posted:

I thought it was specifically a Nepal or Bhutan like country? I didn't realize it was supposed to represent the whole of India or China or anywhere other than the Himalayas. A Far Cry game set South America game would be great, I just mean it would have to be a more specific region like the Andes or a country like Peru.

I don't think I saw anyone here suggesting Slovakia but, I mean they do have summer there it's not always a cold or bleak place. But it would be a pretty boring setting for a video game. The eastern Mediterranean or the Adriatic coast and the Balkans however could be cool settings for a FC game.

You do realize that Mexico is not in South America right?
Neither is the Texas border but goddamn would it ever be fun to do some minutemen quests and then turn on them and kill them all at the end of the sequence.

As I mentioned, I always thought Far Cry 3 was about a distilled version of a kind of broad-ish swatch of areas and cultures. Why not make not-mexico be part of not-South America, which happens to border on not-Peru (funny bowler hat ladies! Guinea Pigs on the bbq! Drinks made of aloe vera! :barf: ) and not-Guatemala (Asylums full of mildly-disabled people abandoned by their families and shot full of tranqs 24/7 while they lie in their own filth!) There's such a broad swatch of stuff to pick and choose from on the continent that it would seem to be pretty easy to pick and choose which parts you want to use on your hidden notes/radio braodcasts/etc.

Did I mention that taking hostages is kind of a thing there? I haven't heard of many people in Tibet taking and holding foreigners and/or native people and political figures hostage for ridiculously long periods in hopes of getting a ransom, but it's still happening today, so there's another series of "grinding" missions that'd be easy as hell to write.

Was Far Cry 2 in a specific nation? I thought it was just "Africa", just as FC3 was "some anonymous south pacific island."

At least the gulf of mexico and the Caribbean have the Bermuda Triangle, and frankly I'd appreciate being able to drop into CA/FL/TX and blow some poo poo up now and then, just because they were a short boat ride or wingsuit-trip away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

E: Farcry Australia would be cool, you even have oppressed Aboriginals to fit into the formula. At the end you beat up Tony Abbott with a boat.
Oooh, I dig it. I love didgeridoo riffs!

The main issue I can think of is that there's not a ton of predators that're big enough to shoot at (although you could always hunt Tasmanian Devils and Tasmanian Tigers). Everyone hates snakes already even though they're a minor annoyance - what if a snake could 1-shot you form full health at max level? :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kangaroos, cassowaries, dingos, bears, wolves, etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Volkerball posted:

Kangaroos, cassowaries, dingos, bears, wolves, etc.
Drop bears? :crossarms: I guess they could be the next honey badger joke. I don't recall hearing about actual bears or wolves on that continent in like, my entire life though.. And I had a teacher in grade school from Australia, who spent every free moment telling us about all the wild and varying stuff you could find there.

Baobab trees are cool as gently caress though. And being an Aboriginal protagonist dealing with some kind of problem would be pretty cool - I always dug Aussie aboriginee accents.

That reminds me, I think the game needs some like, cowboys. I think riding a horse which could leap some obstacles and maybe rear and back-kick would be fun as gently caress, you could maybe equip a lasso (admit it, it was fun as gently caress in RDR) and horses don't come with radios installed..! :swoon:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Drop bears? :crossarms: I guess they could be the next honey badger joke. I don't recall hearing about actual bears or wolves on that continent in like, my entire life though.. And I had a teacher in grade school from Australia, who spent every free moment telling us about all the wild and varying stuff you could find there.

Baobab trees are cool as gently caress though. And being an Aboriginal protagonist dealing with some kind of problem would be pretty cool - I always dug Aussie aboriginee accents.

That reminds me, I think the game needs some like, cowboys. I think riding a horse which could leap some obstacles and maybe rear and back-kick would be fun as gently caress, you could maybe equip a lasso (admit it, it was fun as gently caress in RDR) and horses don't come with radios installed..! :swoon:

I don't recall there being any cassowaries in the Caribbean either, but they are allowed to take some liberties.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

masterpine posted:

Hit the nail on the head there. I've found it difficult to describe what exactly I liked so much about FC2 and that's it, it's the unrelenting pressure you're under just making your way through the world. It's a very different feeling to 3 and 4, less escapism and more just survival. Where as I can sit down with FC4 and blow poo poo up for an hour or so and have a great time, fun is hard to find in FC2 unless you're working towards a goal. It's too dangerous and stressful just to drive about gunning things down.

Followed a bunch of supposed fixes online, nothing really worked for me. Modifying the "GamerProfile.xml" located in My Games/Far Cry 4, lines "Smoothness="1"" and "Smoothness_Ironsight="1"" and changing them "1"s to "0" made a slight improvement but it never felt "right". It's not a very precise, fast and challenging game so the mouse feel didn't bother me too much, it's certainly disappointing though. Dropping V-SYNC, reducing frame render ahead settings in the driver and getting to a point where I had a stable framerate made the biggest improvement in the mouse controls.

That's a bummer. I guess I should just play with my 360 controller? Anyone have experience there - how does it compare to KB/M?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

That's a bummer. I guess I should just play with my 360 controller? Anyone have experience there - how does it compare to KB/M?

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2n5w68/far_cry_4_mouse_fix_tested_on_103/

Volkerball posted:

I don't recall there being any cassowaries in the Caribbean either, but they are allowed to take some liberties.

Far Cry 3 took place in some random SE Asian island I believe.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

They leave the door open because it's a prison on a mountainside, they assume escaping is futile. The cutscene after you jump is just the video game telling you it was a bad trip dream and now you're really waking up, but still tripping.

Makes sense. Thanks.

coyo7e posted:

We have poisonous snakes and spiders, but I guess that doesn't make for interesting hunting. We have big lizards and Kangaroos and wombats that I guess they could make aggressive but nothing like tigers. The deadliness of Australia is way exaggerated, all the deadly snakes and poo poo are mostly way out in the outback where noone lives. You see some massive pythons and spiders in the suburbs but meh. I've gone on walks/trips to the outback and theres some cool mountains and stuff, the wildlife was never an issue. This isn't near people either, this is like a days drive away from the cities. Australia isn't like America, you drive inland for an hour or so and you are basically not going to see anyone.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Far Cry with no explicit story?

Hmm.

Original Crackdown was pretty good, actually... part of which I attribute to the cool evolving powers, and part of which I attribute to the loving AMAZING city design. No plot to speak of but the city ITSELF was a character.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

way out in the outback where noone lives

Exactly where we would want this new game to take place. Perfect. Maybe put the Great Barrier Reef a short walking distance so we can see cool fish and sharks and stuff. Maybe a river through the outback because crocs have to live somewhere to kill you randomly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think it would be interesting to have a Far Cry game take place in a dense urban environment.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
or antarctica

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

gently caress it, alien planet. With hallucinogenic alien shrooms.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Neither is the Texas border but goddamn would it ever be fun to do some minutemen quests and then turn on them and kill them all at the end of the sequence.

The Texas/New Mexico/Mexico border regions would indeed be a pretty great setting. I also have thought that would be a good setting for a GTA game (or a sequel to Red Dead Redemption set in modern times) but Far Cry could definitely make it work. Though that area has way more large cities and suburbs and generally built up areas than we have seen in an FC game. So far all of the games have been largely wilderness oriented, with the largest developed areas being small villages. There's nothing at all like, say, El Paso. Would be interesting to see how they tackle that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

We have poisonous snakes and spiders, but I guess that doesn't make for interesting hunting. We have big lizards and Kangaroos and wombats that I guess they could make aggressive but nothing like tigers. The deadliness of Australia is way exaggerated, all the deadly snakes and poo poo are mostly way out in the outback where noone lives. You see some massive pythons and spiders in the suburbs but meh. I've gone on walks/trips to the outback and theres some cool mountains and stuff, the wildlife was never an issue. This isn't near people either, this is like a days drive away from the cities. Australia isn't like America, you drive inland for an hour or so and you are basically not going to see anyone.
Well, being a videogame, I would approach that limitation the same way I would have for South America... "Hey there were a bunch of crazy zookeepers/druglords with pet hippos and poo poo - now they've gone feral. Please don't shoot the pandas." ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Far Cry: Jurassic Park World

• Locked thread