Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/12/04/introducing-net-core.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
as much as I hate perl I do have to give it credit for actually making all that object and array referencing stuff nicely explicit and not concealing the mechanics

an array can't contain other arrays, only references (or numbers or strings)

but a reference can point to another array (or any variable)

so when you copy the array, you do indeed get a copy of everything in it, including the reference, and obviously the copy of the reference refers to the same array that the original reference did

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Papes posted:

what's the best resource for learning how to use laTex?

a hammer so you can pound your head with it until you forget about learning latex

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a good start

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

text me

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Shaggar posted:

a hammer so you can pound your head with it until you forget about learning latex

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
are there any cross-platform UI libraries that are not rear end

i have just started loving about with swt but it feels like some visual basic 6 poo poo so i might give Qt a try instead see if it feels less 1998

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

penus de milo posted:

i have just started loving about with swt but it feels like some visual basic 6 poo poo so i might give Qt a try instead see if it feels less 1998

qt is the best cross platform ui library by far

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

penus de milo posted:

jquery

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
AngularJS

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

i had a group project last year with 6 other guys. one of them wasnt a CS student, but was a psychology student from the year above us looking for some easy credits (lol)

he keeps pushing for us to use latex to write a sh itty report. then he sits back and we have to end up doing it while he claims he doesnt know how to program or use latex anywa

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hobbesmaster posted:

qt is the best cross platform ui library by far

this is my experience as well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wxwidgets might be ok i dont know but wxpython is bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also honestly, these days swing isn't all that bad.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://foundation.zurb.com/apps/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wow, a grid, that will defininitely come in handy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
browsers are for ui

if you're afraid of being called a full stack dev then use the new javafx poo poo, whatever they call it. or just use swing, it doesn't look that bad.

or qt I guess but I haven't used qt.

you should really use the browser though

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use the native cocoa widgets

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dbcooper posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

Why so much hate for Perl? Or, specifically, why is it a bad fit for CRIP EATIN BREAD's problem space?

Or should I chalk this up to tef's yospos.txt, a short play?

i just said it because it rhymed a bit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Forgall posted:

I wasn't interviewing a guy with ten page resume, but my boss showed a thing like that to me once to ask for my opinion. It was more like a crazy person manifesto than a resume really.

these are my favorite

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

browsers are for ui

this is so unbelievably wrong

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

rotor posted:

this is so unbelievably wrong

do tell

I mean, it's not like there doesn't exist a staggeringly vast array of useful components that will let you create an interface that runs on every OS and device you could possibly care about with a markup and styling language that's trivial to use

not to mention you're able to abstract computation away for many tasks and dramatically increase the amount of individual devices you can run your software on since pretty much everything can run a browser

the modern web browser is possibly the greatest runtime and presentation layer we've ever seen and some people just refuse to believe

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

the modern web browser is possibly the greatest runtime and presentation layer we've ever seen

this is true and also incredibly sad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Arcsech posted:

well, yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clearly you should use QtWebKit then

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Arcsech posted:

nope

cross-platform runtime and presentation, maybe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

do tell

I mean, it's not like there doesn't exist a staggeringly vast array of useful components that will let you create an interface that runs on every OS and device you could possibly care about with a markup and styling language that's trivial to use

not to mention you're able to abstract computation away for many tasks and dramatically increase the amount of individual devices you can run your software on since pretty much everything can run a browser

I'm the complete ignorance of any desktop software

the only thing browsers do better is they're mostly platform-agnostic, mostly.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
if you think that the browser is better than .net/cocoa/linux poo poo never program again please

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

one cool thing that webapps did was they killed the idea that ui consistency was valuable

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they really lowered user expectations for UI responsiveness too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the best application container is one that has a button that completely trashes your application state unless you take a lot of precautions with both the client code and the backend design

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
when did some programmer in junior high i wanted to see if you could make a vb program delete everything in C:/windows

or simething
it could atl east to a degree that hosed me up

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

webapps have their place, but it isnt for so many many things. some things just need to be a loving program. i had a fallen through contract recently where at the last minute they demanded their data entry application be a webapp because it would be to much hassle to update on the factory floor, bullshit. they wanted snappy and safe and they want run it through a loving browser. extra layer of poo poo complexity and stylesheets and html and poo poo componants. i told them they were wrong and to get back to me when the arsehole who decided this was nescessary failed

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when did some programmer in junior high i wanted to see if you could make a vb program delete everything in C:/windows

or simething
it could atl east to a degree that hosed me up
what

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

the best application container is one that has a button that completely trashes your application state unless you take a lot of precautions with both the client code and the backend design

you mean back or refresh?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

you mean back or refresh?

oh right, two buttons

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

What about stop, which has seemingly arbitrary effects?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah sure boss I'll whip up a quick gui for that

Ships him an entire Web server and a shortcut to 127.0.0.1:6858

No boss that's the app it runs in the browser because that's how you make good uis

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

Yeah sure boss I'll whip up a quick gui for that

Ships him an entire Web server and a shortcut to 127.0.0.1:6858

No boss that's the app it runs in the browser because that's how you make good uis

I had to do this once but it was because it was software that was to be run on an aircraft carrier (it was training software for marines not anything cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
tbh, there's very few native apps made well enough to surpass what a webthing could do, especially these days.
Even fewer that connect to a server.

What you get with native app
- Deep integration with os, notifications, etc
- better local storage access
- Faster

What you lose
- peace of mind that your state is synchronized with server

Sadly, apple apps that are the worst offenders. Calendar, mail, contacts, radar, itunes.

• Locked thread