Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Oh thats right. Too bad really, earth will be more of a frog in a pot instead of a real good sudden cataclysm

E: hey a page snipe

Okay Kyrie riddle me this:

Out of the two possible explanations for the multiplicity of dogmatically mutually exclusive religions (that is either one is correct and the rest must be fabricated, or they're all fabricated), which do you feel is truly more probable?

After you've given that a think, how do you address the euthyphro dilemma?

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's a pretty good forum for D&D posters... has some epic memes. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism

You seem checked out bro. Jesus would be sad at your weak-willed evangelism.

Be strong bro. You're being persecuted for your beliefs! Do you realize how lucky you are?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

I thought in seven or eight hundred million years, the sun's slowly increasing emission of light and heat will start boiling the oceans?

That one's easily solved by throwing up a buncha dust in the atmosphere, or orbital reflecting surfaces if you want to get fancy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Turn into a red giant. Yes.
No this was well before that, might've been more like 1 billion. At the same time it'd probably gently caress up most multicellular life, though I'm sure microbes would keep living in the rocks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Protagonist posted:

Oh thats right. Too bad really, earth will be more of a frog in a pot instead of a real good sudden cataclysm

The sun will shrink for about 200 million years, and then expand over a few million years till it engulfs the inner solar system.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's a pretty good forum for D&D posters... has some epic memes. http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism

You're actually William Donahue, aren't you?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Realtalk this thread stayed very far away from reddit style atheism until it jumped the shark and is now a kyrie mock vehicle. its also a decent example of why young, immature people get seduced into reddit atheism when they have people like kyrie in their daily lives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Realtalk this thread stayed very far away from reddit style atheism until it jumped the shark and is now a kyrie mock vehicle. its also a decent example of why young, immature people get seduced into reddit atheism when they have people like kyrie in their daily lives.

Well mainly because Kyrie brashly confided in us that he is simply putting everyone he finds disagreeable in his ignore list

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And what would you attribute the cause of the shift being?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Well mainly because Kyrie brashly confided in us that he is simply putting everyone he finds disagreeable in his ignore list

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kyrie eleison posted:

I dunno, ace; might be that point where you snidely declared that anyone who didn't agree with you was irrevocably hellbound and you wouldn't even bother talking to any of us anymore. Could've had something to do with it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Kyrie my boss is literally going to cause you torment and suffering for eternity and this is a reasoned and polite stance.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh, so this is the payoff. I was wondering why you bothered to create this thread, but now I see. Act stubbornly, refuse to engage honestly, and then claim the moral high ground when your opponents get frustrated. Yes kyrie, clearly you're the better party here, replies like this:

Kyrie eleison posted:

Allow me to cut through the confusion once again.

Do not try to prove the existence of the deity, or claim that belief in him is rational, or empirical. One interacts with Him only through the spiritual. Any other attempt at discovering him borders on blasphemy. His presence is observed through spiritual experience, and is obvious to people whose hearts are open to the spiritual. Those who do not experience the deity have had their hearts hardened by Him, and should pray that he reveal Himself to them.

Do not doubt the deity's will, and do not judge Him. Do not try to claim that His will merely aligns with what is good, as if to suggest that good is something outside the deity. The deity is goodness itself. There is no separation. Anything the deity does is good by definition.

If you willingly contest the deity, then you display foolish hubris, and commit mortal sin, and invite his full punishment.

Is this acceptably clear?
are totally rational arguments that do not invite mocking, ant not at all arrogant and hubristic calls for anti-intellectualism in a debate subforum.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kyrie eleison posted:

Cause you are a dickhole.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

You typing until we got a good picture of just how much of a head case you still are

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
once it becomes apparent that a conversation isn't going to be constructive anymore, I say ride it into the rocks whooping and hollering all the while

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

CommieGIR posted:

Frankly I don't know how you can convert someone without having a conversation with them and listening to them.

It's almost like Kyrie isn't arguing in good faith!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cantorsdust posted:

Frankly I don't know how you can convert someone without having a conversation with them and listening to them.

It's almost like Kyrie isn't arguing in good faith!

I want you to consider how many people are arguing against Kyrie, compared to the three or four people that can even possibly be argued to be arguing alongside him (arguing). So in that sense, a back-and-forth is impossible, and given that people are obviously not going to be convinced and many are unwilling to even consider it, why not say repulsive things to get moralistic tut-tutting aimed at you?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
welcome to billings montana, a city with ~100,000 people and a .8% african american demographic makeup.

wedge politix . png

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rodatose posted:

once it becomes apparent that a conversation isn't going to be constructive anymore, I say ride it into the rocks whooping and hollering all the while

Welcome to the thread :smuggo:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

rudatron posted:

Ahh, so this is the payoff. I was wondering why you bothered to create this thread, but now I see. Act stubbornly, refuse to engage honestly, and then claim the moral high ground when your opponents get frustrated. Yes kyrie, clearly you're the better party here, replies like this:

are totally rational arguments that do not invite mocking, ant not at all arrogant and hubristic calls for anti-intellectualism in a debate subforum.

It's not a call for anti-intellectualism, it's explaining to you the proper conception of the deity. I understand it might not be a view you are familiar with, or comfortable with, but there's nothing I can do about that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I want you to consider how many people are arguing against Kyrie, compared to the three or four people that can even possibly be argued to be arguing alongside him (arguing). So in that sense, a back-and-forth is impossible, and given that people are obviously not going to be convinced and many are unwilling to even consider it, why not say repulsive things to get moralistic tut-tutting aimed at you?

A joyful, committed evangelist takes all comers. For example, see my posts in any gun thread :angel:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

it's explaining to you the proper conception of the deity.

You are a headcase. I'm still curious though

The Protagonist posted:

Okay Kyrie riddle me this:

Out of the two possible explanations for the multiplicity of dogmatically mutually exclusive religions (that is either one is correct and the rest must be fabricated, or they're all fabricated), which do you feel is truly more probable?

After you've given that a think, how do you address the euthyphro dilemma?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

You typing until we got a good picture of just how much of a head case you still are

Yeah, but we already had a good picture before this thread from the last time Kyrie had a meltdown in D&D.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

The problem is that is how he started the thread. He never hid the smug pretense that he was here to shove his holier than thou attitude in everyone's face.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's not a call for anti-intellectualism, it's explaining to you the proper conception of the deity. I understand it might not be a view you are familiar with, or comfortable with, but there's nothing I can do about that.
Seriously arguing that 'the proper conception of a diety' is immune to critical examination or intellectual debate is literal anti-intellectualism. It's hand-waving away objections because you know you can't reason against them on their own terms.

I mean, if you deny debate or discussion on the topic of god as valid (blasphemous, even), then what's the point of a DnD thread? What is there to debate or discuss?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

rudatron posted:

Seriously arguing that 'the proper conception of a diety' is immune to critical examination or intellectual debate is literal anti-intellectualism. It's hand-waving away objections because you know you can't reason against them on their own terms.

I mean, if you deny debate or discussion on the topic of god as valid (blasphemous, even), then what's the point of a DnD thread? What is there to debate or discuss?

Absolutely nothing, there is only accepting Jesus as your personal Lord & Savior or burning in the fires of hell forever more. This thread wasn't started with honest intentions and everyone who has devoted any amount of time arguing with a literal crazy person has wasted that time.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

rudatron posted:

I didn't argue either of those things? I said you can't prove His existence through reason or empiricism, and that all attempts were futile and missing the point. I am still very much interested in discussing the nature of the deity, particularly w/r/t traditional Christian teaching. I don't think anything I have said would suggest otherwise, rather, it's very clear I am interested in discussing it intellectually from my posts in this thread.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

I would also point out it's close to heretical within Catholicism.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would also point out it's close to heretical within Catholicism.

Explain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Protagonist posted:

Absolutely nothing, there is only accepting Jesus as your personal Lord & Savior or burning in the fires of hell forever more. This thread wasn't started with honest intentions and everyone who has devoted any amount of time arguing with a literal crazy person has wasted that time.

We post on SA. We've all wasted that time regardless of the thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

I didn't argue either of those things? I said you can't prove His existence through reason or empiricism, and that all attempts were futile and missing the point. I am still very much interested in discussing the nature of the deity, particularly w/r/t traditional Christian teaching. I don't think anything I have said would suggest otherwise, rather, it's very clear I am interested in discussing it intellectually from my posts in this thread.

I'm posting from a phone so quoting is awkward, but I could have sworn you said (paraphrasing) that you deliberately shut your mind off from critical thinking because belief is good for your mental health. So doesn't that mean you are refusing to engage with anything that would contradict your beliefs? You sure have been posting like it.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

We post on SA. We've all wasted that time regardless of the thread.

It's all relative I guess. I rank having a conversation exceeding a yelling match through the aperture to a padded cell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Catholic Church has a thousands of year old tradition of qualified individuals discussing and continuing to discuss the proper conception of God. Saying it's settled now is basically saying that the Church will be wrong in the future.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Catholic Church has a thousands of year old tradition of qualified individuals discussing and continuing to discuss the proper conception of God. Saying it's settled now is basically saying that the Church will be wrong in the future.

But that's not what I said!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Protagonist posted:

It's all relative I guess. I rank having a conversation exceeding a yelling match through the aperture to a padded cell.

True. Got me there. Now stop yelling into my padded cell.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

But that's what anti-intellectualism is! If your own belief on something that exists outside of your head is, by your own admission, based on nothing but how you feel about it, then you're denying reason entirely. What is there to intellectually argue or discuss? You're contradicting even your own stated goal here: if god is 'discovered' through how you feel, then what is the point of discussions about nature? Either you 'feel' it's nature or you don't! After all, 'one interacts only spiritually', right?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

rudatron posted:

But that's what anti-intellectualism is! If your own belief on something that exists outside of your head is, by your own admission, based on nothing but how you feel about it, then you're denying reason entirely. What is there to intellectually argue or discuss? You're contradicting even your own stated goal here: if god is 'discovered' through how you feel, then what is the point of discussions about nature? Either you 'feel' it's nature or you don't! After all, one interacts only spiritually, right?

Oh, so your gambit is to define all spiritualism as "anti-intellectualism." Yeah... very intellectual.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Oh, so your gambit is to define all spiritualism as "anti-intellectualism." Yeah... very intellectual.

There was that part where you said everyone is really a sociopath and only the church could allow us a moral life.

That too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

You were the one who said that reason and empiricism weren't useful, that the only interaction is spiritual. You yourself excluded rational or empirical claims from spirituality. You painted yourself into a corner, and now your desperately trying to claw your way out.

• Locked thread