Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The deal is, nobody gets mad or thinks you're being rude, it's just a way of labeling yourself as an outsider. San Francisco is San Francisco, or SF, or The City. We drive on One Oh One, not The One Oh One. You can differentiate locals from recent transplants and visitors by the words they use, and that's common everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

When I was growing up "SF" and "San Fran" were acceptable, but I never heard "Frisco".

I've never met anyone from Orange County who likes the name OC, though.

gently caress the OC, they don't get a say in what people call them, the crotchety mother fuckers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

The deal is, nobody gets mad or thinks you're being rude, it's just a way of labeling yourself as an outsider. San Francisco is San Francisco, or SF, or The City. We drive on One Oh One, not The One Oh One. You can differentiate locals from recent transplants and visitors by the words they use, and that's common everywhere.

That's really only a South vs North California thing. Most out of stater's either just say the number without articles, or say things like "Eye Five" instead of "The Five" or "Five".

Likewise, when I went to HS down south, I could identify any Northern transplants the second they opened their mouth and invariably said the word "hella." :v:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

We drive on One Oh One, not The One Oh One. You can differentiate locals from recent transplants and visitors by the words they use, and that's common everywhere.

Someone who knows I'm first-language english tried to school me by telling me "here in the USA we say '101' and not 'the 101'". Sure, whatever, I'd type a response but I'm on the 280 right now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Papercut posted:

People call San Francisco "SF" all the time.
Naah, everybody knows it's "The City".

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Uh, people from the Bay Area most certainly get mad about petty labeling things. It happens most often amongst their brethren in the central part of California. Frisco and Fresno, twin cities.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The deal is, nobody gets mad or thinks you're being rude, it's just a way of labeling yourself as an outsider.

But that's not true at all. There are tons of SF natives now and in the past who are fine with the name "Frisco", and grew up saying it. Which is why it's so stupid that there's a section of SF's population that claims that only outsiders say it. And it's extra stupid because Herb Caen, the person who made it popular to hate the name "Frisco", was an outsider himself, and even admitted later that the name has strong working class roots in SF, and that he was wrong to hate it so much. And just like with Herb Caen, it seems that half the people who hate the name so much are also transplants, and only hate the name because they heard that they were supposed to hate it, and so in an effort to prove how much of an authentic San Franciscan they are, they make sure to remind everyone that it's a bad thing to say. And then they call an actual SF native an outsider for saying it.

There's definitely some class lines at play too...I find that middle to upper class people (especially the older and/or richer they are) are more likely to hate "Frisco", while working class people, especially in the black community, and hip-hop fans are more fond of saying "Frisco". And the Hells Angels love saying it too, of course.

It makes sense that there's some confusion over the name among transplants and visitors, because who is mostly in charge of the media and tourist stuff that most people see about SF? The rich people of course, who seem to mostly hate the name "Frisco", and who love to claim that it's only uncultured/ignorant outsiders who have the nerve to say it. I'm thinking there's probably some overlap here with the kind of person who blames all of SF's crime on Oakland/the east bay. Basically anything they don't like is the fault of "not San Francisco". Crime scaring you? Blame it on another city! Hear a nickname you don't like? It's those dumb poors and tourists from elsewhere! Too much traffic? Curse those bridge and tunnelers! Etc, etc.

I mean poo poo, during the 2014 world series parade, Hunter Pence constantly yelled "Frisco!" at the crowd, and no one stabbed him over it. They cheered along. I'm sure some fancy-pants people did have a heart attack every time he yelled it though.

And that concludes my rant about some random nickname for some random city :colbert:

Now excuse me while I act like a name-elitist-hater hypocrite and get mad at all these new assholes renaming SF neighborhoods with cutesy acronyms. It's not "NOPA" dammit. It's North of the Panhandle, or simply "the panhandle". Or the Western Addition. Or gently caress you :argh:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 4, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saying "Cali" is still hella dumb though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NOPA is where your favorite restaurant is. The Western Addition is where you find that your car has been broken into while you were inside your favorite restaurant.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Saying "Cali" is still hella dumb though.

Saying Hella is dumb. Or even worse, hecka

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Hecka owns, sorry haters.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

So hella people who grew up in Nor Cal are hella dumb then :downsrim:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Neither is dumb they are just regionalisms

:siren: Shocking opinion :siren:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Oh my god I didn't mean to derail the thread into Regional Slang Chat please forgive me :smith:

I'm from Orange County (forgive me for this as well) and I like calling it "behind the Orange Curtain" or just "OC" since "the OC" reminds me of terrible Laguna Beach/Balboa Island rich kid TV drama. Or just saying "welcome to the OC" ironically whenever something unique to our horrible culture happens here.

But saying "The 101" is perfectly acceptable, saying "I'm on 101" just sounds so weird to me, saying "I'm on I-5" is okay though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rah! posted:

Now excuse me while I act like a name-elitist-hater hypocrite and get mad at all these new assholes renaming SF neighborhoods with cutesy acronyms. It's not "NOPA" dammit. It's North of the Panhandle, or simply "the panhandle". Or the Western Addition. Or gently caress you :argh:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Minarchist posted:

I like calling it "behind the Orange Curtain" or just "OC" since "the OC" reminds me of terrible Laguna Beach/Balboa Island rich kid TV drama.

Those were documentaries filmed in real time. Nothing you can say will sway me of this fact.

[/quote]But saying "The 101" is perfectly acceptable, saying "I'm on 101" just sounds so weird to me, saying "I'm on I-5" is okay though.
[/quote]

That's because you're essentially saying "I'm on the 101 [freeway]". Drop the numbered designation and you're still saying "I'm on the freeway". Losing the "the" gives you "I'm on freeway", which makes you sound special.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Except it's actually like saying "I'm on California State Highway 101", which is the actual name of the road, but you're leaving off the beginning parts. You wouldn't say "I'm on the California State Highway 101," so saying "I'm on the 101" just makes you sound retarded.

See? Two can play at this game!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

Except it's actually like saying "I'm on California State Highway 101", which is the actual name of the road, but you're leaving off the beginning parts. You wouldn't say "I'm on the California State Highway 101," so saying "I'm on the 101" just makes you sound retarded.

"I'm on the Highway" is perfectly fine, though.

And if you're going overly long, "I'm on the california state highway, route 101" is fine too. And still makes you sound like less of a mongoloid than just saying "on 101"

Unless you want to shorten it to "I'm on route 101". That I find acceptable.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 5, 2014

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but no one calls it "California State Highway 101" in any spoken or written form outside of official documentation. It's 101, or the 101, or the 101 freeway.

"Yeah Bob, its a rough commute on Northbound California State Highway 101 tonight, all the way from United States Interstate Highway 405 out through Ventura County and Route 23" -said by no one ever

To be honest either/or is good and getting mad about it is dumb as long as you know what the other person means it's all good! v:shobon:v

FilthyImp posted:

"I'm on the Highway" is perfectly fine, though.

And if you're going overly long, "I'm on the california state highway, route 101" is fine too. And still makes you sound like less of a mongoloid than just saying "on 101"

Unless you want to shorten it to "I'm on route 101". That I find acceptable.

California Thread: Your preferred freeway nomenclature is acceptable to me

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 5, 2014

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Not a bad map for the most part, but the part labelled "western addition" on it should be titled "the Fillmore" instead. Everything between the tenderloin/tendernob/civic center, the Richmond, Pacific heights, and the Haight is technically the "Western Addition" (because it was all built around the same time period in the late 1800s/early 1900s, and was the westernmost part of the city with any real population). And in SF's black community (and among some other people mostly in the lower classes), the entire Western Addition is often referred to as "the Fillmore". And in case anyone is interested in lesser-known/dying neighborhood names: Ingleside/Oceanview/Ingleside terrace is often referred to collectively as "Lakeview", once again mostly within the city's black community and among some other working class people. Also, in my experience "parkside" is interchangeable with "outer sunset", and is probably used less often than "outer sunset" by most people. And Hunters Point/The Bayview used to often be used interchangeably with each other when i was growing up, though that seems to have been changing over the years. A lot of this renaming stuff was started by real estate agents trying to make the area they're selling in seem separate from the rest of the neighborhood, if said neighborhood doesn't have the best reputation.

What the hell is this stupid "La Lengua" poo poo though? I've been living in SF my entire life, and always knew that area as part of the mission district or part of Bernal Heights, depending on who you asked...and then one day a few years ago, google maps started calling that area "La Lengua", and now a ton of people call it that. I blame hipsters and/or techies, of course. It's like Godwin's law for annoying things in a gentrifying city. I bet some google employee thought that renaming their part of the neighborhood to "the tongue" in Spanish, would be totally cool and unique and authentic, and seeing as 75% of SF residents aren't from here, people just accept it. And now a local merchants group is rolling with that new name, because it makes them stand out from the rest of the area, and might lead to more business. :negative:

:argh: Get off my lawn.

withak posted:

NOPA is where your favorite restaurant is. The Western Addition is where you find that your car has been broken into while you were inside your favorite restaurant.

Pretty much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Minarchist posted:

To be honest either/or is good and getting mad about it is dumb as long as you know what the other person means it's all good! v:shobon:v
It's these kind of lax standards that lead us to the California Burrito and TexMex food.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

FilthyImp posted:

It's these kind of lax standards that lead us to the California Burrito and TexMex food.

I'm not seeing the problem with either of your examples as both are all good and own hard :yum:

Ordering a macho beef burrito at Del Taco and telling them to "Go Bold" is seriously the greatest thing at 2 AM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Minarchist posted:

Kind of my actual point, which was in response to

FilthyImp posted:

makes you sound special.

and subsequently,

FilthyImp posted:

makes you sound like less of a mongoloid

The handwaving rationalizations for using the article or not are idiotic, because there are ways of shorthanding the name of the road, in common and official use, that allow or disallow it grammatically, and you therefore cannot infer either way that the speaker is being technically incorrect.

Hence

Leperflesh posted:

Whether or not you say "the" marks your regional linguistic habit, and nothing more.

Specifically, if someone insists on having a semantic argument:

101 is both California State Highway 101 and United States Route 101, also known as U.S. Highway 101. California also lists 101 as a State Route, and makes no differentiation between state routes that are divided highways and state routes that are surface streets. These are all proper nouns (so you wouldn't use "the" in front of any of them, no matter how you abbreviate them), but because there could be other numbered roads, if you leave off all of the designators and reduce your reference to just a number, it can make sense to say "the" 101 to differentiate from some other 101 that is less significant (101st Avenue, for example). Which really is still a little unnecessary, because in common nomenclature numbered streets and avenues have a possessive ("tenth avenue", "tenth street" rather than "ten avenue" or "ten street").

It's asinine to insist on strict grammatical correctness when having a casual conversation about something, such as where you're going or giving directions, though, so who cares if saying "the 101" is actually strictly grammatically correct? Nobody important, that's who. What matters is clarity of communication, and if someone else's regional usage is different from yours, but it's still clear what they're talking about, that does not make them a "mongoloid."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 5, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

When I was growing up "SF" and "San Fran" were acceptable, but I never heard "Frisco".

I've never met anyone from Orange County who likes the name OC, though.
And THE OC it shall remain. Its an object. A disgusting object. THE o.c.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

gently caress the OC, they don't get a say in what people call them

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Naah, everybody knows it's "The City".
Yeah. Its kind of funny. Just act confused and start asking them if they are from/going to/coming back from Pacifica or Carmel or Salinas or whatever and watch them writhe.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Minarchist posted:

California Thread: Your preferred freeway nomenclature is acceptable to me

[The] Cali Thread: From Frisco to The O.C., It's Hella Cool to Hate Fresno, Brah

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

[The] Cali Thread: From Frisco to The O.C., It's Hella Cool to Hate Fresno, Brah
Yes, do this.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Calithread: The Mexican food is way better where I live. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rah! posted:

What the hell is this stupid "La Lengua" poo poo though? I've been living in SF my entire life, and always knew that area as part of the mission district or part of Bernal Heights, depending on who you asked...and then one day a few years ago, google maps started calling that area "La Lengua", and now a ton of people call it that. I blame hipsters and/or techies, of course. It's like Godwin's law for annoying things in a gentrifying city. I bet some google employee thought that renaming their part of the neighborhood to "the tongue" in Spanish, would be totally cool and unique and authentic, and seeing as 75% of SF residents aren't from here, people just accept it. And now a local merchants group is rolling with that new name, because it makes them stand out from the rest of the area, and might lead to more business. :negative:

:argh: Get off my lawn.

Pretty much.

Blame this dude.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Laughed harder than I should have, its the little things :haw:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Speaking of nomenclature, what's the story behind "Los Angeles" being pronounced with a hard G in old-timey movies, and when exactly did it change? :confused:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Speaking of nomenclature, what's the story behind "Los Angeles" being pronounced with a hard G in old-timey movies, and when exactly did it change? :confused:

This bit from the now defunct LA chronicle online has a good explanation:

quote:

There was once heated debate over how to pronounce “Los Angeles.” Although the name is now commonly pronounced “Loss An-je-les,” its original Spanish pronunciation is “Loce Ahng-hail-ais.” Non-Spanish speaking Angelenos seemed to prefer the harder-sounding anglicized version. During the 1920s and 1930s, the Los Angeles Times vigorously defended the Spanish pronunciation and printed directly below its editorial page masthead, “LOS ANGELES (Loce Ahng hail ais).” When the U.S. Geographic Board recognized the anglicized version in 1934, the Times was outraged, declaring that the pronunciation made the city “sound like some brand of fruit preserve.” The newspaper further suggested that Easterners plotted to deprive the West Coast of its softer-sounding Spanish names, proposing that California would next have to tolerate such place names as "Sandy Ego," "San Joce," and "San Jokkin." In all fairness, however, the Times did not express the same distain for the prevalent pronunciation of San Pedro as “San Pee-dro” rather than the Spanish “San Pey-dro.”

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Los Angel Ese.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Los Angel Ese.

The city of Angles.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabisnikof posted:

The city of Angles.
El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles Sobre el Río de Porciúncula.

Pendejo.

quote:

It's asinine to insist on strict grammatical correctness when having a casual conversation about something,
No, it still makes you sound like an uncultured NorCal window licker.

But hey, at least you're not a mudperson from the 909, brah.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Is it state law that the board of supervisors of each county needs to be set at 5? That seems to be consistent. Just curious.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bizarro Watt posted:

Is it state law that the board of supervisors of each county needs to be set at 5? That seems to be consistent. Just curious.

The SF Board of Supervisors has 11 members.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

It shows up in the Big Lebowski as well if you know the scene I am talking about.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Papercut posted:

The SF Board of Supervisors has 11 members.

And amusingly, LA county only has 5. Now I'm just wondering if 5 is the minimum required. Inane question, but I was curious.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A little late for freeway talk but I once drove up to Seattle to visit a friend, I said "we took the five up." The Seattle-ites got real mad and told me it was "I-5" then they complained about Californians.

That is my freeway nomenclature story. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
California Politics Thread: On the California Sperg Highway