Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

okay looking at my map, the stairway leading to the rest of floor 9 is in a4/5 at the very top of floor 8. get to the spiderweb room in a7 and the doorway is in the northwest corner of the room. you should also be able to access at least some of the rest of floor 8 from that room, but you'll need to mess with some pistons on floor 9 first in order to get past the reaper.

I don't think I follow. The stairs at A5 on floor 8 were the first ones I took to get to floor 9. There's a shortcut directly right of those stairs I can take, but all that leads to is a couple of chests. I don't see the Reaper at all.

It'd probably be easier to just post what my map is like, but that'd have to wait until I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SC Bracer posted:

Wait, seriously? Oh man, it is time for revenge.

The Cute Dolls aren't, so don't try it on them. Bring some sort of instant death protection if you do insist on taking them on. They're heavily resistant to poison, so Impure Reach + Poison skill of your choice isn't gonna do much.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

I don't think I follow. The stairs at A5 on floor 8 were the first ones I took to get to floor 9. There's a shortcut directly right of those stairs I can take, but all that leads to is a couple of chests. I don't see the Reaper at all.

It'd probably be easier to just post what my map is like, but that'd have to wait until I get home.

weird, when you go through the shortcut there should be a door right next to you, and that door goes to a reaper room with some pistons.

edit: just so we're clear, are you talking about a shortcut on floor 8 or 9?

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 5, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

weird, when you go through the shortcut there should be a door right next to you, and that door goes to a reaper room with some pistons.

edit: just so we're clear, are you talking about a shortcut on floor 8 or 9?

You're right. I am loving dumb and drew a wall there. :suicide:

Thanks though!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Cute Dolls aren't, so don't try it on them. Bring some sort of instant death protection if you do insist on taking them on. They're heavily resistant to poison, so Impure Reach + Poison skill of your choice isn't gonna do much.

I already beat those guys, because I couldn't find a switch for one of their rooms, and then discovered that Impure Reach and poison works forever (guess I'm an insanely lucky bastard). I thought about fighting the babies, but they did like 200 damage to Yu, and I didn't want to deal with that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm really liking the third labyrinth a lot. The FOE puzzles in this game are a lot more interesting than in the EO series. I'm hoping they take a page from PQ and implement things like that in EOV.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i want to find whoever came up with this fifth boss and just kick him in the balls over and over.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wish it was easier to level characters you're not using. I can't settle on who I want to be my fifth party member. I keep switching out the fifth slot for someone else, then get annoyed when I realize they're still levels below everyone else.

I'm assuming there's a Growth 2 accessory? When do you get access to that?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I love that gif of the cards and Naoto, but I don't think silent circle is affected by impure reach because binds are separate from status ailments.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Dexie posted:

I wish it was easier to level characters you're not using. I can't settle on who I want to be my fifth party member. I keep switching out the fifth slot for someone else, then get annoyed when I realize they're still levels below everyone else.

I'm assuming there's a Growth 2 accessory? When do you get access to that?

You get one from a request around the third/fourth floor of the third labyrinth.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Neeksy posted:

I love that gif of the cards and Naoto, but I don't think silent circle is affected by impure reach because binds are separate from status ailments.

that's what binding hands is for.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm convinced the stationary FOEs in part 4 are dirty cheating bastards. Either that or Theo is seriously ripping me off. I get that the sleep-resist accessory doesn't say "immunity" but if I'm setting my entire party up to resist a specific ailment they should not be succumbing to it all at once! Multiple times! :tizzy:

Fuckin' hell, I have Impure Reach on and I wish I had that kind of accuracy with sleep spells.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
I had the same experience with instant kills. At one point I was running dark rings ("greatly" reduced chance of dark spells working) and using dark wall in battle, and running characters that resisted dark, which probably don't even stack but I was so sick of it, and still losing 3+ people per mamudoon cast.

FOEs seem to be able to bend the rules with hit/miss rates, both incoming and outgoing. Not sure how or why but it's probably the thing I dislike most about the game because I couldn't figure out a consistent way of dealing with it.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

I had the same experience with instant kills. At one point I was running dark rings ("greatly" reduced chance of dark spells working) and using dark wall in battle, and running characters that resisted dark, which probably don't even stack but I was so sick of it, and still losing 3+ people per mamudoon cast.

FOEs seem to be able to bend the rules with hit/miss rates, both incoming and outgoing. Not sure how or why but it's probably the thing I dislike most about the game because I couldn't figure out a consistent way of dealing with it.

Having your MC killed by Hama or Mudo from a dumb low-level angel or pig is an integral part of the SMT experience.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Especially a pig.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aw, what? Killing the Old Doll doesn't unlock anything?

Bah! :argh:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

theshim posted:

Aw, what? Killing the Old Doll doesn't unlock anything?

Bah! :argh:

It does, you just need other stuff too. The same happens later on with the Captor spider FOE, which is used in all the ultimate weapons but you also need loot from sacrificing high-level Personas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

on floor 3-3, there seems to be a part of the map on the far west that you can't get to. i know it's there because i found the wrong-end of a shortcut leading into it, but i can't find any other entrance.

do you get there from floor 4, or did i just miss a door/passage?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

You get there from the next floor.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

neat, thanks

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I think I've lost all drive to play this game. Labyrinth running is just not fun, the characters are dumb and are not like what I remember them being. Like Kanji for example probably had the biggest IQ drop. All he says is "Alright!... Oh wait I'm dumb so I didn't get it afterall :sweatdrop:" and he's not even close to the worst offenders of bad dialogue and writing; Marie's pathos, Chie's meat jelly, marrying Ken and the list goes on and on. There is a severe lack of Personae too which is the series bread and butter, the battles are not at all challenging (in fact the first dungeon and first 10 hours are the hardest but from there, smooth sailing boyos).

tldr; :qq: getting mad at video games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

There is a severe lack of Personae too which is the series bread and butter, the battles are not at all challenging (in fact the first dungeon and first 10 hours are the hardest but from there, smooth sailing boyos).

There are a whole bunch of Persona so I'm not sure what you mean there. You get fewer after battle but you can fuse a whole lot.

"The first dungeon and the first 10 hours are the hardest" is basically SMT in a nutshell. Even at its easiest this game isn't remotely as easy as P3 or P4. (And that's saying something considering that you can Hama 3/4ths enemies in the game to death in the first round.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

All he says is "Alright!... Oh wait I'm dumb so I didn't get it afterall :sweatdrop:"

Just like Persona 4! EDIT: And he does actually get some good character development later.

quote:

There is a severe lack of Personae too

what

quote:

in fact the first dungeon and first 10 hours are the hardest but from there, smooth sailing boyos

Just like Persona 4!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I just look at the list of Persona Q Persona and I'm not sure how you argue there is a 'severe lack of Persona.' There's the usual 6-10 per arcana.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Toadsniff posted:

Marie's pathos

wow

Toadsniff posted:

Chie's meat jelly

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dude just forgot about Persona 4, the game IS 6 years old

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chie had lines without the word meat in them in p4 though

i know it's a silly gag game but she's painfully one note here

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

She also gets scared a lot, so there's that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The biggest crime committed against chie's character is the lack of a galactic punt

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ruggington posted:

The biggest crime committed against chie's character is the lack of a galactic punt

She still kinda has it. Only it's a damage move instead of a instant kill.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It is not a Galatic Punt if it doesn't kill.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I can agree with the labyrinth criticisms though since I don't remember the regular EO games being so gimmicky. From the third labyrinth on you're constantly trying to solve poorly made puzzles and strategically slipping on pools of sweat while backtracking across the entire map to go through portals in a certain order.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

EO dungeons are gimmicky as gently caress.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the FOE gimmicks are fun, although the puzzles in the third stratum that aren't about the FOEs are dumb

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

g0lbez posted:

I can agree with the labyrinth criticisms though since I don't remember the regular EO games being so gimmicky. From the third labyrinth on you're constantly trying to solve poorly made puzzles and strategically slipping on pools of sweat while backtracking across the entire map to go through portals in a certain order.

To get to a small dungeon in EO4, you had to lure a sheep FOE in with food so that would lure the other FOE around the dungeon entrance away to eat the sheep.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Finally bagged me that FOE. Turns out the solution was "spam panic and reset until it loving well sticks".

Got some good armour out of it. It was... probably worth the time and effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

Finally bagged me that FOE. Turns out the solution was "spam panic and reset until it loving well sticks".

Got some good armour out of it. It was... probably worth the time and effort.

You got Mara. The question is already answered.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I turned him into a Stagnant Air skill card. So in theory, it should be a lot easier to pull off a repeat performance... if I can get an ailment to stick in the first place.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So this game has real puzzles and interesting dungeon design then, and is actually going to interest me as a fan of old-school dungeon crawlers, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'd say yes as long as you're not looking for a game that's going to present a harsh challenge in combat. Bard's Tale this is not.

• Locked thread