Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also it looks like the alt discount for having the ships already isn't working for at least part of the playerbase. Including me. :suicide: I'm guessing it will be fixed at some point, or at least when a ship is actually acquired and the system's forced to double check this stuff, but I won't be able to test that part for a few days. If there's any easy fix for this lemme know, otherwise I'll just wait for Cryptic to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I heard people saying that was because it doesn't recognise the T5U version so doesn't credit you as having unlocked it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I hear two different things; the first part is that if you grabbed the Chel Grett the first year it doesn't count as unlocked, since it was done through an NPC store rather than the rep mission. But I'm probably getting hit by that one, since I upgraded all of mine already.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Asimo posted:

Yeah. I hear two different things; the first part is that if you grabbed the Chel Grett the first year it doesn't count as unlocked, since it was done through an NPC store rather than the rep mission. But I'm probably getting hit by that one, since I upgraded all of mine already.

Ya, same with me and the Chel. Requires 1000 autographs even though I have it on two other characters (T5U).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I want them all how do I get them all. Set phasers to grind.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I had excess of 1000 Q photos from last year. Bought the new Breen carrier on one character, then did a single race and bought it for the discounted rate of 40 on another.

It's probably just the T5-U ones that are bugged.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

Ya, same with me and the Chel. Requires 1000 autographs even though I have it on two other characters (T5U).
I've got it on a char and haven't even unpacked it, much less upgraded to T5U. It still wants me to get 1000 autographs. At least cryptic has acknowledged it's a problem.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny snippet of a leak, enjoy.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Axe-man posted:

I want them all how do I get them all. Set phasers to grind.

Start studying your DJO.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 5, 2014

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
someone was unhappy with dental and has a plan to get back, pastebin linked in here

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 5, 2014

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I noticed they made a few changes to the naming restrictions. Emergency Eugenics Hologram has a new ride!

Eggnogspecial
Feb 25, 2006

'tis the season.
Can I get access to the wiki? I registered as eggnogspecial.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Eggnogspecial posted:

Can I get access to the wiki? I registered as eggnogspecial.

You're in.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Preechr posted:

I noticed they made a few changes to the naming restrictions. Emergency Eugenics Hologram has a new ride!

Holy poo poo how? What did they change?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

randombattle posted:

Holy poo poo how? What did they change?

It's been that way for some time.

50 characters on your starting ship only.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

OCC: don't ever talk to me!

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

someone was unhappy with dental and has a plan to get back, pastebin linked in here

Wow...another channel? That's extremely original... Just ask kinsha and xean. I'm sure @professionalhelp is the hero to finally stick it to NOP's notorious free invite channel.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know, when even your community moderators start complaining about the grind, it might be time to re-think some of the game systems.

Also in that thread, a player who's been running the PVE race non-stop for 2+ hours without a single win.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

Also in that thread, a player who's been running the PVE race non-stop for 2+ hours without a single win.
I'm sure there's a subset of players with physical disabilities or some other impairment that would make the race difficult or impossible.

I'm equally sure this is not one of those people. :ughh:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

g0del posted:

You know, when even your community moderators start complaining about the grind, it might be time to re-think some of the game systems.

How is the other stuff for earning...however many currencies? I just logged in to do the race on three characters and not check anything out but I'd be interested in getting a lightsaber bat'leth or a scarf but not if it means I have to kill snowmen for two weeks straight.

Edit: for that stuff it'll just be for my main.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

How is the other stuff for earning...however many currencies? I just logged in to do the race on three characters and not check anything out but I'd be interested in getting a lightsaber bat'leth or a scarf but not if it means I have to kill snowmen for two weeks straight.

Edit: for that stuff it'll just be for my main.
I have no idea how hard it is to earn the holiday currency items, I still have hundreds of them from the first holiday event when you could AHK for them all night long. But you can't even buy the new holiday items until you've completed the new borg snowman event multiple times - 5 times for the weapons/clothes, and 10 times for the warp cores. And you have to complete all 10 waves plus the ending to get credit for doing it. And it only runs once an hour. And it's a per-character unlock, not per-account. The full event takes a little over 10 minutes to do. And it sometimes bugs out and doesn't give credit for one of the waves. And there's no way that I've found to see how many times you've completed it.

In other words, its' a perfect example of cryptic's current "more grind, gently caress your alts" philosophy.

There's also the winter epohhs you can get from running the PVP race, which used to be a great way to get marks before they introduced the daily mark bonus and normalized the mark requirements for rep projects, but right now I'd say they're only really worth it if you can consistently come in 1st/2nd place.

And there's the queue event which I think lets you get gingerbread pets and holiday recipes? I haven't run it since last year, so I can't really remember.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Asimo posted:

I'm sure there's a subset of players with physical disabilities or some other impairment that would make the race difficult or impossible.

I'm equally sure this is not one of those people. :ughh:

Hmm. The race honestly seems kinda tricky to me, but then I don't have the experience to go 'oh, it's so easy'. We'll see how it goes once I actually have time to take more than a run or two. It does seem to be moving at top running speed, though, so I ain't sure where you're meant to catch up.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. The race honestly seems kinda tricky to me, but then I don't have the experience to go 'oh, it's so easy'. We'll see how it goes once I actually have time to take more than a run or two. It does seem to be moving at top running speed, though, so I ain't sure where you're meant to catch up.
Start running before the countdown finishes. There's an invisible wall which prevents you from going, but the wall disappears before the countdown says to go so you can get a head start on the opponent. Learn to roll right before a sharp turn to kill your momentum so you don't slide off the track. Use mouselook, there's no way you'll be able to turn fast enough with the keyboard. The out-of-bounds limits are actually a bit off the racetrack, you can cut most of the corners when you run it, though it can take a few mistakes before you get a feel for the limits. Buy the winter boots and wear them, though they're not necessary. If you're desperate, wear the undine ground set to get a run-speed bonus after you roll.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

g0del posted:

In other words, its' a perfect example of cryptic's current "more grind, gently caress your alts" philosophy.

And that's why I'm just grabbing the carrier on my main, other ships for my alts and going ciao!

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004
After a long dormancy, I'd been culled from the fleet. Could I get invites for Rush@Cyaniderush and Rev'Aard@Cyaniderush please?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Honestly, the only thing you really need to know to do it - and you really do need to - is that rolling cancels your momentum.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
still waiting for the fed re-invite @andupor. registered on the wiki as andupor.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 6, 2014

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

still waiting for the fed re-invite @andupor. registered on the wiki as andupor.

You're in the wiki, try asking in channel for fleet invites, that generally works better.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

merry christmas

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Items unlocked through completing “Tide of Ice” will now unlock for the entire account.
This will require only 1 character on an account to unlock all new Winter Event items through completing “Tide of Ice”.
Next patch looks good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Korgan posted:

You're in the wiki, try asking in channel for fleet invites, that generally works better.

Thanks. Will do.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

"Saint" Olivia encourages pubbies to buy game hacks with real money. Is this the kind of man pretending to be a woman you should trust?

AcidCouch
Aug 2, 2012

Korgan posted:

"Saint" Olivia encourages pubbies to buy game hacks with real money. Is this the kind of man pretending to be a woman you should trust?

oh thank you sooooo much. Thank you thank you thank you for this........ I will be needing this... keep up the goodwork and bring me more.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
opsec

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 7, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Korgan posted:

Sometimes I look and wonder, just how can you be this dumb? And then I remember some of the people who do dumb things in sto and I just go oh right.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Korgan posted:

For the new players who don't understand the 'stains' reference, skybuck likes to use a client hack which makes all the female characters in the game naked. I believe he also sells this hack, for all the people who can't figure out any other way to see naked women on the internet.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

What the hell Grim, for someone that spends that much time in sto chat, why the hell is your chatbox so narrow and hard to read?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
In other news the 'How do I block Fleet Map Invites' thread is alive and kicking again:

quote:

I am told many do not have faith in STO moderation. Forum moderators can be voted in and supported by community members. Who can say that any moderation currently performed is not influenced by a massive wave of trolls creating posts and submitting tickets to sway a decision towards their favor? Food for thought.

From the PWE community rules and policies "The community may be asked to participate in selection of volunteer moderators,"...

That being said, a hypothetical query; If the community is filled with alt-accounts and newly created accounts created by certain individuals who's goal is to gain weight on any end of an argument via brute force, what would stop this situation from seating a person as a moderator who may be biased towards that group in favor of a system that allows their brand of abuse? Forum politics perhaps? Something deeper, to later on be said it was "for the lulz"? It's not a stretch of the imagination to believe mass requests of donations be pooled so a "career account" can be purchased and used as figureheads lending even more weight to the appearance of legitimacy. That's 200/300$ US earned when someone has this amount pooled up to create exactly that.

Who then would you believe as a moderator? The person with a young star trek account that had a problem with a troll blocking a mission progression using a cover shield and spamming you with fleet,pvp,group and trade invites? Or the blue name with 3000 posts saying the person complaining is lying and a noob? Would that noob then be inclined to also make the purchase to be a lifetime member, or give up in frustration, possibly quit outright?

Same could be said for a paid employee of PWE acting as a manager, whom does have the final say in any relevant decisions as far as how forums are run. More difficult to pull off perhaps, but not unheard of. Follow the money.

This is what happens when you allow abusive types to use heavy population gimmicks and bully tactics both in the game with no general moderation, and on these forums, to stimulate favor. Or even just to earn the occasional free item given away by a new star trek online player while skirting the lines of permissible behavior and good faith. It's crap, and anyone knows it if they have had run-ins with these types of players who's sole purpose is to be disruptive and abusive to others, so they and other like-minded types can have a good chuckle at another players expense.

Maybe this can be a start of a new change within the community. Or maybe someone from an troll gang will post TEAL DEAR, my post will be moderated or thread locked. We'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Hey Grim,

I posted that in Olivia's new giveaway channel, and not only was I muted, but Olivia kept addressing me as if I was still in the channel and able to respond. Then there was a "Welp, looks like the troll couldn't handle it. He has some kind of hard on for me or something."

We found Xean Jr. He absolutely has to have control over the conversation. Also, when I initially joined the channel, several pubbies were informing Olivia how attractive his pictures were.

• Locked thread