Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Was he the person who rolled across London wearing fluorescent yellow gloves singing "We wish you a merry christmas"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Spooky Hyena posted:

Was he the person who rolled across London wearing fluorescent yellow gloves singing "We wish you a merry christmas"?

Sounds like an Artist Taxi Driver/Mark Mcgowan stunt.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Premier Foods is blackmailing its suppliers. Pretty loving outrageous.

quote:

Premier Foods told Newsnight: "We launched our 'invest for growth' programme in July last year as part of a broader initiative to reduce complexity in support of plans to help turnaround the business.

"This included a commitment to halve the number of our suppliers and develop more strategic partnerships focused on mutual growth.

"The programme requires our suppliers to make an annual investment to help fund our growth plans.

"In return, our suppliers benefit from opportunities to secure a larger slice of our current business.

"They also stand to gain as our business grows in the future."

It added: "In the current challenging environment, the support of all of our suppliers is crucial.

---

"We are looking to obtain an investment payment from our entire supply base and unfortunately those who do not participate will be nominated for de-list."

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Prince John posted:

Premier Foods is blackmailing its suppliers. Pretty loving outrageous.

This is par for the course for suppliers dealing with supermarkets and big companies that have all the buying power.

Well, not physically paying money (thought it wouldn't surprise me), but being treat like absolute poo poo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
nationalise everything

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Free market baby :ocelot::clint:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
how could this blatant extortion happen when we have so little regulation????? save us, invisible hand!

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Oberleutnant posted:

how could this blatant extortion happen when we have so little regulation????? save us, invisible hand!

All you have to do is set up a country-wide food production company, establish 5 or 10 household brands, and get your products into 95% of homes. Why aren't you doing it? The real villain in this piece is you.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the English translation of that corporatespeak is "we're being screwed by the likes of Tesco and we want to pass it on to our suppliers".

of course Tesco says "we're being screwed by Aldi and Lidl who don't have any regular suppliers at all".

it is a poor time to be a company (Premier) that charges a brand premium in order to provide consistency in quality and reliability in supply. They're betting hard that going further upmarket will save them.

e: for those thinking about nationalization, you should probably also reflect over how a nationalized distributor would deal with the problem. Ban the Polish imported groceries that Aldi and Lidl depend on? Note that "well Premier could be nice and simply not maximize profit, eh" is a non-answer because Premier is already teetering on the edge of insolvency.

ronya fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 5, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
as they're calling it an investment payment, would the suppliers get a cut of profits?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
fewer suppliers means more revenue but profits? youll have to read the article for that

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A cut of revenue, more or less, as BK says.

Although really, if I were Tesco I'd be pricking my ears up and trying to connect to suppliers directly. Why pay for Premier's gargantuan pension fund? I'm sure some northern England county will offer generous tax subsidies for a new factory somewhere, under a fresh new brand identity that doesn't have any of Premier's inherited labour agreements.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
If you like Mark Thomas you should give Chris Coltrane a go - he seems to be picking up the baton for activist comedy. Very good stuff.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Osborne's proposed cuts and plans for growth aren't going down too will in the press (aside from Torygraph and the Mail of course, which have managed to turn it into a story about the BBC), specifically mentioning the amount of public borrowing it will require. Borrowing being the toxic buzz word normally used against Labour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-30340558

Hopefully this will go someone way to convincing the public that they shouldn't touch the Tories with a barge pole because they're loving insane.

As an aside, what the gently caress have the Sun got against Russell Brand? You gotta love polls like these - they read like tests to make sure you're paying attention to the message.

"Russell Brand is a hypocrite."
"Is Russell Brand a hypocrite, yes or no?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EvilGenius posted:

Osborne's proposed cuts and plans for growth aren't going down too will in the press (aside from Torygraph and the Mail of course, which have managed to turn it into a story about the BBC), specifically mentioning the amount of public borrowing it will require. Borrowing being the toxic buzz word normally used against Labour.

Hopefully this will go someone way to convincing the public that they shouldn't touch the Tories with a barge pole because they're loving insane.

As an aside, what the gently caress have the Sun got against Russell Brand? You gotta love polls like these - they read like tests to make sure you're paying attention to the message.

They also reported that "54% surveyed don't think he's funny".

I can only imagine most comedians would kill for 46% of people thinking they're funny.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

EvilGenius posted:

Why does the Sun think he's a hypocrite? I don't want to pay to find out.

Russell Brand's book is ok, it's full of dumbshittery in some places but he doesn't claim to be an authority on anything. I wouldn't call him a hypocrite.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Russell Brand is terrible.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Gilganixon posted:

Russell Brand's book is ok, it's full of dumbshittery in some places but he doesn't claim to be an authority on anything. I wouldn't call him a hypocrite.

Pays rent (quite a lot actually) to a landlord who is inolved in tax avoidance, but personally says the rich should pay their tax.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gilganixon posted:

After googling it appears there are two related issues he's being challenged over in regards to hypocrisy.

One is that he pays quite a lot in rent and won't say how much. A Channel 4 reporter asked him how much he paid in rent and his response is “Blessedly, I can afford my rent and I’m prepared to stand up for people that can’t.” The other, which the Sun seems to focus on, is that he pays his rent to a company which is based in a tax haven.

So it's a case of Russell Brand probably could do more personally, but it is a distraction from the real issues of inequality and social imbalance which are dealt with by a wide scale reordering of the status quo rather than individual action. Although we should try and avoid stuff like having to pay money to tax dodgers, the onus should always be on the people who actually dodge tax and those who support he system that allows them to dodge tax rather than the people who have to pay them money by renting their proerty - even if some tenants are in a more privileged than others.

Edit: Basically they are making this argument.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 5, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hadn't even realised Chris Grayling was trying to ban books for prisoners but the high court have stopped it happening. Seems like a great way to encourage riots to happen though if it had gone through

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If he's paying rent to a company registered in a tax haven then it's probably a trust that he controls, presumably as a way of avoiding taxes on the house. I mean I doubt Russell Brand is too poor to buy a house if he wants to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zephro posted:

If he's paying rent to a company registered in a tax haven then it's probably a trust that he controls, presumably as a way of avoiding taxes on the house. I mean I doubt Russell Brand is too poor to buy a house if he wants to.

Maybe. If he works away a lot it might not be worth his while owning a place.

Either way, calling him a hypocrite for saying the rich should be taxed while paying rent to a tax evader is absurd. If Brand doesn't pay his own taxes that's one thing, but he's not his brother's keeper.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jedit posted:

Maybe. If he works away a lot it might not be worth his while owning a place.

Either way, calling him a hypocrite for saying the rich should be taxed while paying rent to a tax evader is absurd. If Brand doesn't pay his own taxes that's one thing, but he's not his brother's keeper.
I'm suggesting that Brand owns the tax-haven company, ie that he pays his own company rent to avoid tax.

I could very well be wrong, but that's what I get from reading between the lines of the press questions.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

I'm suggesting that Brand owns the tax-haven company, ie that he pays his own company rent to avoid tax.

I could very well be wrong, but that's what I get from reading between the lines of the press questions.

Doesn't he move around a lot between the US and UK? He's undoubtedly rich, but probably not so rich that he could easily afford to maintain two or more celebrity pads in the most expensive areas of places like LA and London.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Russel brand is a fuckin widge and I don't understand why people seem to think he's going to lead a revolution. He came up with the schtick to sell books and get tv gigs. Whoop de loving do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Russel brand is a fuckin widge and I don't understand why people seem to think he's going to lead a revolution. He came up with the schtick to sell books and get tv gigs. Whoop de loving do.

Nobody thinks he's going to lead a revolution. I think he's sincere about his beliefs, and at least he's giving wealth distribution politics some publicity even if a rich man saying it is hypocritical.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Zephro posted:

Thats a very big leap.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This isn't the worst thing Farage has ever said, but hopefully it'll put at least a few people off him. It's not like mothers walk around flapping their tits in everyone's face. I don't believe I've ever heard of a breastfeeding mother who was "openly ostentatious" about it, women don't treat it like a bloody excuse to flash everyone.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Mister Adequate posted:

This isn't the worst thing Farage has ever said, but hopefully it'll put at least a few people off him. It's not like mothers walk around flapping their tits in everyone's face. I don't believe I've ever heard of a breastfeeding mother who was "openly ostentatious" about it, women don't treat it like a bloody excuse to flash everyone.

I'd hope so. Anything that helps expose that them as the reactionary old social conservatives they really are can only be good in the long run.

Maybe the amazingly stupid way he phrased it (that you pointed out) might help it run a bit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I still think that fella's a hero :allears:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I hope he dies in a fire. He probably thinks gay men shouldn't hold hands in public too in case it makes anyone feel discomforted. poo poo head.

The last time I was in a situation where I needed to breastfeed away from home was around the time that breastfeeding in public was getting a load of attention because of the guy who tweeted a photo of a woman breastfeeding and said she looked like a disgusting tramp. I ended up feeding the baby in the car terrified that anyone could see me. The idea that there are swathes of women breastfeeding in public just to show off or whatever it is they think is ridiculous and the fact that stories like this are still common is probably a big part of the reason the UK breastfeeding rate is so low.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

The New Black posted:

I'd hope so. Anything that helps expose that them as the reactionary old social conservatives they really are can only be good in the long run.

Maybe the amazingly stupid way he phrased it (that you pointed out) might help it run a bit.

Isn't reactionary conservatism what most of UKIP's support base actually believes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New History's Greatest Monster:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alan-titchmarsh-ukip-saying-what-4744382

Also new UKMT drinking game: Drink every time he says 'get on'. Keep drinking after reading. Vomit into a wastepaper basket. Collapse. UKIP's Britain.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I hope he dies in a fire. He probably thinks gay men shouldn't hold hands in public too in case it makes anyone feel discomforted. poo poo head.

The last time I was in a situation where I needed to breastfeed away from home was around the time that breastfeeding in public was getting a load of attention because of the guy who tweeted a photo of a woman breastfeeding and said she looked like a disgusting tramp. I ended up feeding the baby in the car terrified that anyone could see me. The idea that there are swathes of women breastfeeding in public just to show off or whatever it is they think is ridiculous and the fact that stories like this are still common is probably a big part of the reason the UK breastfeeding rate is so low.

Not that this stupidity against public breastfeeding should be encouraged, but is there a reason why women in the UK (seem) not use to pumps?

This is not to minimise your experiences, but I've always wondered why mothers in general, if they felt uncomfortable for their own reasons, don't pump at home and take the milk out with them? I don't know about presently, but this was the norm in Australia a decade or so ago, and while it does give bigots an out, I was always told it was more convenient than trying to nurse when you're out and about.

I'm obviously not a mum, but this something I've always been curious about, but can't really bring up with friends without seeming insensitive.

Edit: Thanks for the reply, this was enlightening!
vvvv

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 5, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Not that this stupidity against public breastfeeding should be encouraged, but is there a reason why women in the UK (seem) not use to pumps?

This is not to minimise your experiences, but I've always wondered why mothers in general, if they felt uncomfortable for their own reasons, don't pump at home and take the milk out with them? I don't know about presently, but this was the norm in Australia a decade or so ago, and while it does give bigots an out, I was always told it was more convenient than trying to nurse when you're out and about.

I'm obviously not a mum, but this something I've always been curious about, but can't really bring up with friends without seeming insensitive.

Pumping is a pain in the arse. I pumped exclusively for 2 weeks while my daughter was in special care in Paisley (100 miles away from my home) and it takes a lot of time, can be painful and not as effective as actual breastfeeding (baby hormones trigger supply). Then you have the added pain in the arsedness of sterilising a load of fiddly little bits and pieces, the expense of buying a pump and bottles, the concern over nipple confusion if the baby is under a certain age - and it does really happen, the issues with maintaining supply if you pump then the baby needs fed, then the baby doesn't feed from you at a different time, actually finding time to pump when you have a baby and possibly other kids to look after, not liking to pump in company, and all just so someone doesn't have to feel discomforted about what you're doing with your boobs?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife breastfeeds and im just itching for somebody to try to say something about it.

Though, so far, the only reaction we've noticed is a couple of ladies complementing her for doing it. There's some really weird anti-breastfeeding attitudes about though - held by men and women - not only for the 'doing it in public' thing but also women who somehow think its disgusting. Weird.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Pumping is a pain in the arse.

I think you're doing it wrong.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Haha, on a more serious note though a specially designed apron is what my sister uses. It also allows the baby to feed in the darkness it craves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The only special equipment my wife uses is a bra with detachable straps and loose fitting tops she can easily lift up and unless you're having a really good look you'd struggle to see anything.

• Locked thread