Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bombadilillo posted:

Far Cry: Jurassic Park World
Already did dinosaurs. With fricking LAZERS. And Turok has also been done. :smith:

Earwicker posted:

The Texas/New Mexico/Mexico border regions would indeed be a pretty great setting. I also have thought that would be a good setting for a GTA game (or a sequel to Red Dead Redemption set in modern times) but Far Cry could definitely make it work. Though that area has way more large cities and suburbs and generally built up areas than we have seen in an FC game.
Wasn't that the most recent Call of Juarez game, which was in pretty much present day "Breaking Bad"-esque mexico? I never played it but from what i've seen and heard, it was this. I just think that moving from adobe to shanty town to jungle to inca ruins in a 20 minute run in-game would be a fun game world. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Wasn't that the most recent Call of Juarez game, which was in pretty much present day "Breaking Bad"-esque mexico? I never played it but from what i've seen and heard, it was this. I just think that moving from adobe to shanty town to jungle to inca ruins in a 20 minute run in-game would be a fun game world. ;)

I don't know for some reason I thought that series was supposed to be really bad so I've always ignored it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

coyo7e posted:

Already did dinosaurs. With fricking LAZERS. And Turok has also been done. :smith:

Less neon. Lots more species.

A small time dictator takes over the island, troops are trying to capture dinos.

We know a tie in game is coming. I wish it was Far Cry with dinos.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

As far as ridiculous settings are concerned, Kyrat really is perfect for conversion into some kind of Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones parody game. They'd have to redeisgn all the vehicles though which is a bit more work than changing all the colors and adding lizards

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I do think drawing a pack of velociraptors into an enemy camp would be pretty great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Earwicker posted:

I don't know for some reason I thought that series was supposed to be really bad so I've always ignored it

As did I but I also seem to recall hearing that the newest one was good. Or maybe one of the others. I dunno! v:shobon:v

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ultimate Mango posted:

Exactly where we would want this new game to take place. Perfect. Maybe put the Great Barrier Reef a short walking distance so we can see cool fish and sharks and stuff. Maybe a river through the outback because crocs have to live somewhere to kill you randomly.

By no one I literally meant no one, we have 3 people per square km in a country of 23 million people. Those 23 million people live on the coast.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

We have big lizards and Kangaroos and wombats that I guess they could make aggressive but nothing like tigers.

They could always bring back the Tasmanian Tiger for a Far Cry set in a fictional australia stand-in. New Zeaustralimania.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This game is pretty drat fun. It took a little bit for it to click with me, but then thanks to random chance I ended up assaulting a convoy on elephant back and I suddenly got it. I'm playing it on 360, and it's been so long since I've played an FPS on it that I can't aim for poo poo, but I've gotten around that by making liberal use of shotguns and high explosives. Bullseyeing someone with the M79 and seeing them vaporize never stops being satisfying.

Eagles are hilarious dickheads, my favorite moment was when I was walking down some back road and a dead pig randomly plummeted from the sky and splatted a few feet in front of me. They do actually make a nice gooey thud sound when they hit the ground.

coyo7e posted:

The one you're thinking of is CoJ: The Cartel, which is just horrible. All of the other Call of Jaurez games are actually good and fun, although the earlier ones are a bit dated. Gunslinger is my favorite by far, because it's essentially Bulletstorm: Rootin' Tootin' Hombre Edition with some really neat story telling mechanics.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Weird. I killed Amita earlier in the game, but now that I'm finished the game I found her wandering around a Sherpa campsite on top of a mountain.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno about you but personally I had more fun in farcry 4 after I beat the game, started a new game, hacked out the weapon requirements and turned off the radar, turned up the difficulty, and then just went around killing dudes as I saw fit.

Can't just drop this here and walk away. How does one go about removing weapon reqs from the game? Would love to start off with all the good poo poo already unlocked.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just finished the game and watched all the endings on youtube. I really like how the best ending is letting pagan live

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Reposting this because it got lost along the way:

botany posted:

AMD FX-8120 8-core, 3.10GHZ
12 MB RAM
GeForce GTX560

How will the game run on my machine?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It was a stuttery but playable on my 965be and 6850 on medium settings.

Depends on how much you can tolerate non-smooth frame rates.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:stare: Good loving grief you guys weren't kidding about the Buzzsaw.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So after playing an hour or so of coop with Zwabu, I have come to the conclusion that coop is indeed a goddamn blast in this game. Best thing was storming an outpost on the backs of our war elephants, even though my beloved Stampy got killed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CitrusFrog posted:

Maybe this should be the thread title. Far Cry 4: You guys weren't kidding about the Buzzsaw :laugh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh apparently that bug I ran into also took away my camera, too. Are there any more missions that require me to take photos of stuff once I unlock the north? If this stops me from finishing the game I am going to be writing a strongly worded missive to Ubisoft. :mad:

(Also I unlocked the Buzzsaw last night :getin: )

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Uhhh, only assassination missions. The only campaign ones I can think of were from Willis.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Maybe this should be the thread title. Far Cry 4: You guys weren't kidding about the Buzzsaw :laugh:

I also just unlocked the rocket launcher from the Longinus missions. I haven't used it yet but I'm eager to try out the L-CAM upgrade.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

suboptimal posted:

So after playing an hour or so of coop with Zwabu, I have come to the conclusion that coop is indeed a goddamn blast in this game. Best thing was storming an outpost on the backs of our war elephants, even though my beloved Stampy got killed.
War elephants. Never forget. :911:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CitrusFrog posted:

I also just unlocked the rocket launcher from the Longinus missions. I haven't used it yet but I'm eager to try out the L-CAM upgrade.

Don't be anywhere close to where you aim it.

The spread is giant.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Going back through the game on hard now and limiting my syringe usage on clearing bases.

The game it still up to its old tricks. Look, I enjoy clearing bases with knife take downs only. The game simply will just not let you do that on certain ones.

I've had; a guy welding spin like a top when I got within take down range, a tiger spawn on me after I got three of six guys, a wandering ATV dude, guys drastically alter their set walking path, eagle out of fricken no where (no hawk cry or anything just feathers and claws), spotted from across a base by a heavy and the worst, while clearing Defleur's base last night I hid a body behind a building and had it get spotted by a sniper on an opposite wall.

It's easy as sin to get an undetected, to do a full knife take down is an entirely different story.

Still fun! :)

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 5, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CitrusFrog posted:

It's seriously ridiculous. You'd expect it to be a better than the other unique LMG but it's just insane, basically like the UT99 sniper rifle once I figured out I could crank up the rate of fire and other parameters from the console.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Weird. I killed Amita earlier in the game, but now that I'm finished the game I found her wandering around a Sherpa campsite on top of a mountain.

I had the same thing happen. Except with Sabal.

I killed him since I sided with Amita, then after beating the game and continuing roaming around I did one of the missions where you protect the Golden Path truck. When the truck got to the delivery spot there Sabal came out of a tent
My friend and I promptly placed all our C4 at his feet and sent him into a low orbit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Earwicker posted:

Is there any hint that there will be a "Blood Dragon" of FC4? I liked that even better than the main game in FC3. Though obviously they can't just do the same thing again, it would have to be a different concept/aesthetic. Like a high fantasy version of the game or something.

No, but there was no hint we were getting Blood Dragon until it was practically done, and lots of people thought it was a joke.

Blood Dragon also massively outsold expectations, so we could see another. On the other hand, it still wasn't a huge blockbuster, and Ubisoft make patently stupid business decisions regularly.

Rookersh posted:

I don't have a reverence for the game at all. Unlike Ddraig I can understand it's a massively flawed game.

The thing is though, Far Cry 2 did exactly that. It's the first game that ever listened to the people that said "Only gameplay matters! :black101:" and just made a game about nothing but gameplay. Constant, nonstop, extremely high quality gameplay. You will almost always be in combat, with maybe 4-5 minute lulls, and that combat is fast paced, difficult, and most of all fun. Rather then write big scripted operas about the nature of man or some poo poo, they made something like 40-50 big sandbox locations that all vary greatly in tone/verticality/ways you can attack them.

And I'm not talking about the outposts, but the actual mission zones, which all respawn after you leave, for you to come attack again later. This is on top of the wide vary of weapons, all of which are useful.

It's not a perfect game, but it's the answer to his question. What happens if they just rip out the story. Well then people get really pissy because they don't have enough motivation to shoot a whole bunch of outposts.

Yeah, and I'd love a proper sequel to Farcry 2. Like ... Farcry... 3? Nah better change a bunch of poo poo and make it about some peter pan wunderkind white boy killing pirates to save his friends from rape. (:stare:)

Just give me newer and bigger environments and let me kill dudes how I want. Farcry is at best a James Bond Sandbox.

I want a game like farcry 2 but in a new setting, better graphics, and less insane outposts. (And we can drop the malaria too)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 5, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Naturally Selected posted:

Can't just drop this here and walk away. How does one go about removing weapon reqs from the game? Would love to start off with all the good poo poo already unlocked.

gently caress I meant Farcry 3. I hit 4 by accident. :smith:

3 was way more fun after you beat it and played through with goon mods or dll hacks. FC4 fixes most of the problems with FC3, but yeah I'd love a mod which unlocks all the guns and radio towers from the start, those just really aren't that much fun, especially not after you've done them already.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully some kind goon will hack farcry 4 soon and do the same thing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

VendaGoat posted:

It's easy as sin to get an undetected, to do a full knife take down is an entirely different story.

Trying to get an all-takedown outpost clearance started out as an XP thing for me in Far Cry 3, and remains one of my primary approaches simply because it's more challenging.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's seriously ridiculous. You'd expect it to be a better than the other unique LMG but it's just insane, basically like the UT99 sniper rifle once I figured out I could crank up the rate of fire and other parameters from the console.

The fact that a tiny burst drops heavies totally threw me for a loop. I mean, a fifth of a second and he's done. It's also definitely the best-sounding full-auto, dat roar.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

No, but there was no hint we were getting Blood Dragon until it was practically done, and lots of people thought it was a joke.

Blood Dragon also massively outsold expectations, so we could see another. On the other hand, it still wasn't a huge blockbuster, and Ubisoft make patently stupid business decisions regularly.

Yeah, and I'd love a proper sequel to Farcry 2. Like ... Farcry... 3? Nah better change a bunch of poo poo and make it about some peter pan wunderkind white boy killing pirates to save his friends from rape. (:stare:)

Just give me newer and bigger environments and let me kill dudes how I want. Farcry is at best a James Bond Sandbox.

I want a game like farcry 2 but in a new setting, better graphics, and less insane outposts. (And we can drop the malaria too)

Far Cry is a rambo sandbox.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CitrusFrog posted:

Trying to get an all-takedown outpost clearance started out as an XP thing for me in Far Cry 3, and remains one of my primary approaches simply because it's more challenging.

Yeah its tons of fun, and a bit harder than just silenced-sniping everybody from a mile off, or sneaking around shooting everybody full of arrows.

Its not that hard though, you just have to think like a spy in TF2. Find the guy in the back who nobody is looking at, and then work your way forwards.

The skill that lets you drag bodies after you shank them is super useful, although god drat do you move slow. Were you this slow when you dragged bodies in FC3? I feel like it was a bit faster, but probably not. Its so slow its almost easier to just shank everybody than bother moving corpses around.

Farcry isn't that far off from being Hitman really.

Oh man it'd be cool if you could dress in badguy uniforms and sneak around like hitman...

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry is a rambo sandbox.

Yeah, you got me there. Really just Action Movie: The game.

Vehicle takedowns are so loving satisfying :)

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress I meant Farcry 3. I hit 4 by accident. :smith:

3 was way more fun after you beat it and played through with goon mods or dll hacks. FC4 fixes most of the problems with FC3, but yeah I'd love a mod which unlocks all the guns and radio towers from the start, those just really aren't that much fun, especially not after you've done them already.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully some kind goon will hack farcry 4 soon and do the same thing.

LIARRRRR :argh:

Although I did find out that the first FC4 mod is out (apologies for the reddit link) http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2np75r/announcing_the_first_mod_for_far_cry_4/ Seems like attachments/weapon unlocks should be coming any day now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do the drivers only have one bullet in their handgun?

Awesome animation and just so satisfying. :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its tons of fun, and a bit harder than just silenced-sniping everybody from a mile off, or sneaking around shooting everybody full of arrows.

Its not that hard though, you just have to think like a spy in TF2. Find the guy in the back who nobody is looking at, and then work your way forwards.

The skill that lets you drag bodies after you shank them is super useful, although god drat do you move slow. Were you this slow when you dragged bodies in FC3? I feel like it was a bit faster, but probably not. Its so slow its almost easier to just shank everybody than bother moving corpses around.

Farcry isn't that far off from being Hitman really.

Oh man it'd be cool if you could dress in badguy uniforms and sneak around like hitman...

Takedown then drag is drat useful, I agree, but yeah you move really slowly. Depending on line of sight and enemy movement sometimes I'll just let him drop, then pick him up because you move faster and can chuck his body over a wall/cliff. Of course if you don't quite have the time and there's a lone guy nearby you can always fall back on the knife throw (or if he's pretty close, the chained takedown). DFAs are fun too, as is silently emerging from a lake, shanking a motherfucker and dragging him into the depths with you.

quote:

Yep, have you hijacked a truck from a gyro yet? Super :cool:

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Regarding another Blood Dragon: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blood-dragon-2-not-happening-says-far-cry-4-dev/1100-6423477/

There was also an interview with the main BD dev, which I can't find, and he more or less said that while the first was just insanely fun to do (and sold beyond anyones expectations), it's almost for certain a one-off, and that he wanted to move on to do other things.

sleepycat
Apr 21, 2004

Mmmm
Dinosaur Gum
I just opened up the north, and also figured out I can land the buzzer in the radio towers right next to the radio gear. It took me 20 minutes to liberate all the northern towers - it really felt like cheating though, and kind of regret doing so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sleepycat posted:

I just opened up the north, and also figured out I can land the buzzer in the radio towers right next to the radio gear. It took me 20 minutes to liberate all the northern towers - it really felt like cheating though, and kind of regret doing so.

Don't. Liberating towers is really stupid and shouldn't be in the game. Its only there because Ubisoft has such a hard-on for that exact mechanic from every single assassin's creed game. Plus it was in FC3 so in it goes! But they're just not fun. Not at all.

Clearing outposts? Super loving fun. Liberating towers? Snooooore.

I would install a mod to capture all towers by default if such existed and never look back :colbert:

Its a chore and nothing else. Does anybody really think "Jump towards the convenient pile of rappelling ropes" counts as a puzzle?
Yet another thing FC2 did better.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't. Liberating towers is really stupid and shouldn't be in the game. Its only there because Ubisoft has such a hard-on for that exact mechanic from every single assassin's creed game. Plus it was in FC3 so in it goes! But they're just not fun. Not at all.

I would install a mod to capture all towers by default if such existed and never look back :colbert:

Its a chore and nothing else. Does anybody really think "Jump towards the convenient pile of rappelling ropes" counts as a puzzle?

There's usually something scripted in the towers that's really fun. I still tried to land on them in a bunch of different places, but my buzzer would always fly off, or something awful would happen, so I took to just landing about 100 meters away, then going back to my buzzer after I was done.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah they are boring as hell, not even interesting climbing puzzles the way some of the AC towers can be. Helicopter is the way to go. Plus it can be fun when there is a sniper on the top level and you can take him out with a handgun from your helicopter.

sleepycat
Apr 21, 2004

Mmmm
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Yet another thing FC2 did better.

That's true. I would enjoy taking all the towers before any outposts though; trekking through enemy territory with only what I can carry in sort of a guerrilla expedition and discovering things on foot before seeing them on the map, as well as surviving encounters without the benefit of quick resupply. Using the buzzer takes that away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

sleepycat posted:

If that feels like cheating, go grab the Buzzsaw you probably just unlocked and feel like you have broke the game.

• Locked thread