Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
isn't the corvette transmission a transaxle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ford 8.8 IRS swaps are common too.

rscott posted:

isn't the corvette transmission a transaxle?

It is, in the crudest sense - the center of the transmission is basically the same, but the bellhousing is different (to connect to a torque tube) and the tailshaft housing gets replaced by a directly-mounted differential. It is possible, though expensive, to convert a Corvette T-56 or TR6060 to the F-body / GTO / CTS-V style.

However, because there are enough of the regular six-speeds around, it's usually better to just start with one instead of loving around with a Corvette transmission.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just as a quick update to the threads namesake, AJ was in the hospital for heart bypass a few weeks ago, had lung complications and was unconscious and on a ventilator for 10 days or so. He's awake and out of the hospital now.

Going into a medically induced coma and on a ventilator at 80 years old and living is hard to do, but AJ is a highlander I think.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm rather curious if that loader was actually made at the LeTourneau plant in Longview or if its just using their name on it.

Yep, there's a bunch of Lone Star State stickers on the wall at the workshop that came with the paperwork. They ship them through the Panama Canal in several containers worth of bits, which is a whole lot cheaper than you'd think. This site is in South America, West Coast, but they get to our sites in Australia the same way. I can't imagine buying off-brand or badge-engineered stuff from China or India or Brazil would end up being any cheaper at all, in the long run.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

VikingSkull posted:

Just as a quick update to the threads namesake, AJ was in the hospital for heart bypass a few weeks ago, had lung complications and was unconscious and on a ventilator for 10 days or so. He's awake and out of the hospital now.

Going into a medically induced coma and on a ventilator at 80 years old and living is hard to do, but AJ is a highlander I think.

Holy poo poo that guy must be immortal

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rscott posted:

yes it is

that's hosed up man

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Das Volk posted:

Holy poo poo that guy must be immortal

basically yeah

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

BlackMK4 posted:

Putting on a tail light, bar end mirror, and rigging up a headlight is easy... we do it to trackbikes that see the street occasionally all the time.

This is awesome. I can't imagine how sick nasty it would be to drive a track bike on the road

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
street legal track day or race cars/bikes own

that's basically my dream car right there, y'all can keep your Ferraris

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Vitamin J posted:

New axles and diff, using CTS parts is common. Aftermarket or custom front subframe is required.

The engines/trans is basically the same size front to rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttljTlKaOY

NOISE indeed! :circlefap:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
That's a go-kart track :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

Yep, there's a bunch of Lone Star State stickers on the wall at the workshop that came with the paperwork. They ship them through the Panama Canal in several containers worth of bits, which is a whole lot cheaper than you'd think. This site is in South America, West Coast, but they get to our sites in Australia the same way. I can't imagine buying off-brand or badge-engineered stuff from China or India or Brazil would end up being any cheaper at all, in the long run.

Awesome. Several years ago while I was in Longview, I stopped by to see if it was still around but it looked somewhat deserted. My grandfather, dad and both my uncles have worked there so its kind of neat to hear its still going and making stuff.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the Miatini

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a Hartge H50 for sale in the US. That's an E90 325i with the E60 M5 V10 in it.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-hartge_h50_for_sale.aspx

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised AJ hasn't had a heart attack after employing Takuma Sato for 2 years and him writing off the car in 80% of the races.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Awesome. Several years ago while I was in Longview, I stopped by to see if it was still around but it looked somewhat deserted. My grandfather, dad and both my uncles have worked there so its kind of neat to hear its still going and making stuff.

So weird to hear this mentioned, as I grew up outside Longview.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

street legal track day or race cars/bikes own

that's basically my dream car right there, y'all can keep your Ferraris

Dirt track cars are brilliant models of redneck engineering. I see used late models on my local craigslist from time to time. Looks like so much fun, but I don't have $10k+ to buy a shell and drivetrain.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

Dirt track cars are brilliant models of redneck engineering. I see used late models on my local craigslist from time to time. Looks like so much fun, but I don't have $10k+ to buy a shell and drivetrain.

They really are, and it's amazing how advanced some of them were historically. Watch this ground effects car kill the field at Syracuse in 1980

The black car, Gary Balough

The car is supposed to be a Lincoln, in reality the roof is a wing, the body is a wing, and underneath uses skirts and a diffuser of sorts to keep the car planted.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm surprised AJ hasn't had a heart attack after employing Takuma Sato for 2 years and him writing off the car in 80% of the races.

so close :negative:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I threw my drink at the TV when this happened.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

There is a Hartge H50 for sale in the US. That's an E90 325i with the E60 M5 V10 in it.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-hartge_h50_for_sale.aspx

$105K is hella insane for 550hp without a factory warranty. Pretty sweet sleeper, though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

co199 posted:

Chris Harris on the Hooicorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBICDja6Sg

"When Pirelli put your name on the tire, you've arrived."

Ken Block and his team are insane and it is a beautiful thing. This car is so drat cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

my dad and I both called it exactly

"this idiot is gonna try it in turn 1.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *high fives*"

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ken Block and his team are insane and it is a beautiful thing. This car is so drat cool.

Let's keep in mind just how nuts some of Kenny from the Block's promotional stuff has been.

In general, he just seems like a nice guy as well. Look at this dopey, lovable face

But he's suave, too.

e: God dammit I need an ice cold, refreshing Monster© Energy beverage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't drink Monster but I am perfectly alright with him whoring the poo poo out of the Monster brand while continuing to make insane AI stuff in the process.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

I can count on one hand the times in my life I have been in a crowd going that nuts, good or bad.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kastein posted:

I don't drink Monster but I am perfectly alright with him whoring the poo poo out of the Monster brand while continuing to make insane AI stuff in the process.

I unabashedly love the stuff. I've been drinking it since 04-05ish when it first came to the state. The sugar-free one is delicious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The latest installment of sticking random poo poo in the tailpipe and blipping the throttle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELnlCZPR5Y

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 231 days!)

xzzy posted:

The latest installment of sticking random poo poo in the tailpipe and blipping the throttle:

Inferior to DuckCallSTi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8

:colbert:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
There's a local guy here who has a built-as-gently caress GM 3400 V6 put into a cavalier, with a huge rear end turbo on it. Last I heard, he was running high 10s on the 1/4, while making 560hp @ 36psi. The thing is also stock on the outside, other than aluminum wheels and slicks. Sleeper as gently caress.

I only have two old photos, but I'll try to grab more next time I see it, maybe some videos.

The guy is known locally as "Johnny Turbo".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That thing isn't stock, it's missing the huge dent in the rear quarterpanel that they all have. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

That thing isn't stock, it's missing the huge dent in the rear quarterpanel that they all have. :v:

In all seriousness, that thing almost loses the sleeper aspect just because of the fact that it looks so clean. J-bodies are so beat to gently caress now that a clean one raises suspicion right away.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I unabashedly love the stuff. I've been drinking it since 04-05ish when it first came to the state. The sugar-free one is delicious.

I hope they name the new, strange disease you die of 'Angryhampsteritis'.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

angryhampster posted:

In general, he just seems like a nice guy as well. Look at this dopey, lovable face

This really is true. Following him on Instagram, you can get the vibe he's just this really laid back dude who really likes doing crazy, ridiculous car poo poo with his gobs and gobs of money and free time. He's not even remotely dickish, he's just like "Check out this awesome thing I did today, life is pretty great."

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

But he's suave, too.

I think "suave" and "wearing a suit that someone bought for him for a promotional photo" are two very different things.

Exhibit A: His sleeves are a loving mess.

Exhibit B: That chin hair thing.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BoostCreep posted:

I think "suave" and "wearing a suit that someone bought for him for a promotional photo" are two very different things.

It was a joke, goon.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

BoostCreep posted:

Settle down big shot

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

eriddy posted:

I was actually thinking this same thing.

But what is the correct thing to do in this situation (or any situation where you witness a severe looking car accident)? Obviously calling 911 immediately would be the first thing but in the time it takes for emergency vehicles to arrive is there anything you could actually do to help?

This is a good point.

Motronic posted:

Guys......it's a 911. It's designed to kill drivers when you go over 90%. This is an expected result.

As is this.

CornHolio posted:

Ladies and gentlemens, the Thomassima.

Reading that link, I think he may be one of the most AI people ever.

I have a Hot Wheel of that. It's better in pictures! I love those wide Goodyears with the white stripe.

xzzy posted:

I've always wanted to try a mess of whoopie cushions. A true fart cannon.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motronic posted:

Guys......it's a 911. It's designed to kill drivers when you go over 90%. This is an expected result.

It just occurred to me that he made a 911 understeer. If that's not some form of driving talent, I don't know what is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

This is a good point.

As is this.

I have a Hot Wheel of that. It's better in pictures! I love those wide Goodyears with the white stripe.

I've always wanted to try a mess of whoopie cushions. A true fart cannon.

A length of inner tube on the tailpipe gives either a "worlds largest angriest whoopie cushion" or "someone is torturing a duck" effect, depending on the length of inner tube used. There are some really good youtube videos for this, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BoostCreep posted: