Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Then maybe you shouldn't try to make bad comparisons. This is the second or third time you've make comparisons that are not valid.

I just want to get back to this again.

For a Christian, especially one that thinks that we are all brothers and sisters of Jesus and all children of the Father, these are perfectly acceptable reasonable and logically internally consistent comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

I just want to get back to this again.

For a Christian, especially one that thinks that we are all brothers and sisters of Jesus and all children of the Father, these are perfectly acceptable reasonable and logically internally consistent comparisons.

Right. Right. The gunning down of civilians or choking them to death is comparable to God's will in allowing the crucifixion to go forward to atone for the sins of the world.

Treyvon died for the sins of Zimmerman. If only he'd known.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Some consolation prize for their families.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Right. Right. The gunning down of civilians or choking them to death is comparable to God's will in allowing the crucifixion to go forward to atone for the sins of the world.

Treyvon died for the sins of Zimmerman. If only he'd known.

Apparently you read incredibly poorly. "utter futility of theodocy", I am in no way going to attempt to explain evil because any attempt to explain evil is also an attempt to justify it. But I will and do assert that when we suffer, our lives still have meaning and we are not lost to it (suffering and death).

You want to use the usual canned retort and are missing that it is a non-sequitor.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 5, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Apparently you read incredibly poorly. "utter futility of theodocy", I am in no way going to attempt to explain evil because any attempt to explain evil is also an attempt to justify it. But I will and do assert that when we suffer, our lives still have meaning and we are not lost to it (suffer and death).

You want to use the usual canned retort and are missing that it is a non-sequitor.

Jesus died for your sins.

But he totally didn't have to. You evil sons of bitches.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DrProsek posted:

But what is death if not decay? Everything that dies decays, every object erodes, and every civilization fades to dust sooner or later. Everything that dies decays, but not everything that decays needs to die. Long after the last living organism drains the last drop of blood from his own body, as Khorne gnashes his teeth once the blood finally stops flowing, Plaguefather Nurgle will continue relishing in watching everything humans spent so long building crumble into dust. Decay permeates every moment of existence, for the moment that anything is created it begins its decay. All hail the Plaguefather!

Dust is merely the blood of suns. Decay is merely war writ small. Creation is merely war writ large. Nurgle, like the Star Gods, is merely another of the thousand faces of Khorne.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This God guy seems like a real dick.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Protagonist posted:

It's much more simple than you make it out to be: human sacrifice is really hosed and a benevolent god wouldn't demand it

Only if the sacrifices are individuals, singled out arbitrarily. How could any other live, knowing that the sacrifice was elevated, was called early, but they were not? Who could suffer through existence, knowing that it was all they were worthy of?

What could be more fair, more egalitarian — more loving — than to demand the entire world as sacrifice?

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Khorne would

:black101:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While I agree with the sentiment to a certain extent, I'm going to take issue with the statement that celibacy is necessarily a profoundly unhealthy, evil thing. I do think sexual expression of some kind is important but this is often taken as an axiom which I think is slamming against several other elements of society in its effort to slam into the side of the Church of Rome.

For one, it implies that by not being in a paired couple of some kind, people are necessarily undergoing some major psychic torment. This message suggests that people should be in permanent relationships as a sort of psychological necessity, which in turn suggests several other things: that people who are not in a relationship or currently pursuing one are damaged; that being in a relationship is an obvious health benefit to the point where it might encourage remaining in an unhealthy relationship; that, perhaps, people are entitled to one (as opposed to the right to have one if they wish) which we already see in some sections of society as a source of fury against progressive social movements.

For another, I think it is fair to guess that here, in this context of the RCC, it is an implicit statement that 'Priests are violating children because they are unable to have wives.' I don't think this holds water with what is known about pedophiliac behaviors. Those seem to be largely crimes of abuse and power, or profound mental illness, which is in no way limited to the celibate. Many people who have sex with their wives regularly and often have also sexually abused children.

What does seem likely is that priests may occasionally have sex with one another, and it also does not seem unlikely that a disproportionate number of priests are homosexual in their orientations. (My basis for this is the Church's various prohibitions on 'active homosexuals' joining the priesthood, as well as the supposition that a devout but homosexual young man might pursue the priesthood as a career which does not press him to marry.) So this in turn suggests that homosexuals will, when deprived of other sexual outlets (or if they get bored), abuse children, which is a common anti-gay canard.

None of this, of course, invalidates criticisms of the horrible acts done by some priests, or the failures of the RCC to own up to these crimes and work to prevent them.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
In this thread, thus far 76 pages have been spent by some trying to argue that faith is objectively false and pretend that God can be objectively disproven. Some furthermore go farther to insist anyone who has any faith is insane and therefore unable to be right about anything- being better committed to insane asylums I suspect?

These people in the real world are often known less by the term Atheist and more by the term Obnoxious. I think you were rather deceiving yourselves if you thought 'you're crazy' and 'but bad things happen in the world!' were going to be groundbreaking insights that would turn anyone with faith into a born again atheist.

Hats off to BrandorKP for being rather patient I'd say.

Also an upraised middle finger to Kyrie though for trying to out-smug Atheists and intimating possession of greater knowledge they don't actually have. I lose respect for anyone who takes pride in 'muting' people, even if they are obnoxious, announcing it is simply reveling in possessing a piteous amount of power. You may have had good intentions in making this thread, but your approach from on high is not going to win anyone over any better than the jerks on the other side.

Also a tip of the hat to anyone else of any particular faith who I have no doubt missed in this thread who have politely represented their beliefs. Godspeed ye merry gentlepersons.

To those of you who can argue for Atheism without casually dropping into contemptuous name-calling, straw-manning and other odious habits- I salute you as sincerely. Even if I should happen to disagree.

To the rest... Have fun, I guess. I can wish you well on the basis that as you get more futilely angry and obnoxious you might well drive people to faith just to get away from you. Assuming Kyrie does not provide sufficient counter-pressure.

This is most certainly not an announcement of personal departure from the thread, which I intend to continue watching, but simply an endorsement of the respectful and a more gentle gently caress-you to the contempt-filled.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Snark posted:

Also an upraised middle finger to Kyrie though for trying to out-smug Atheists and intimating possession of greater knowledge they don't actually have. I lose respect for anyone who takes pride in 'muting' people, even if they are obnoxious, announcing it is simply reveling in possessing a piteous amount of power. You may have had good intentions in making this thread, but your approach from on high is not going to win anyone over any better than the jerks on the other side.

Also a tip of the hat to anyone else of any particular faith who I have no doubt missed in this thread who have politely represented their beliefs. Godspeed ye merry gentlepersons.

To those of you who can argue for Atheism without casually dropping into contemptuous name-calling, straw-manning and other odious habits- I salute you as sincerely. Even if I should happen to disagree.

To the rest... Have fun, I guess. I can wish you well on the basis that as you get more futilely angry and obnoxious you might well drive people to faith just to get away from you. Assuming Kyrie does not provide sufficient counter-pressure.

This is most certainly not an announcement of personal departure from the thread, which I intend to continue watching, but simply an endorsement of the respectful and a more gentle gently caress-you to the contempt-filled.

Allow me to explain why you are an rear end in a top hat.

You display the height of hypocrisy when, in the middle of your (amazingly self-described) "gently caress-you to the contempt-filled", you give me the finger. Do you have any self-awareness? Any at all?

If you're going to condemn contempt, you can't do it while spewing contempt. If you want to promote a polite and moderated discussion, then you have to be polite and moderated.

You talk about the obnoxious, while being obnoxious.

Unlike you, and other fakers, I won't deny it: I have contempt for some people, and I don't mind putting people off, if they deserve it.

Another thing: I used the word "muting" because poster "A Protagonist" used it. Take your snarky quotes around it to him. And it is a forum feature. I don't give a gently caress if you, or anyone else doesn't like the fact that I ignore those who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation but abuse. They do not deserve my attention.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Snark posted:

Look at me and how I am above all of you other people I am. I don't discuss things on the Internet and I believe this makes me mature when in reality it just makes me look like a smug boring prick with not a single interesting thought in my head. Aren't I special? Please give me acknowledgement and validation.

No one cares.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've thought long and hard about how to approach this. First off you probably came here looking for either a discussion on how great Jesus is or to try and convert people (which is fine. The Bible says to teach people about Jesus), but I'm going to go ahead and tell you you're never going to get that on somethingawful. Religion is one of those things people have made up their minds about, and I'm about to explain why.

I don't want to try and convert you. Your religion is very important to you. The Bible warns against associating with atheists because they will corrupt you. I don't want to do that.

I do believe in God, but I do not believe in the Bible. You will not convince me that the Bible is great and I will not convince you that is it horrible. What I can do is tell you my story and have you think long and hard about it to understand why people here hate it.

I used to be a hard core Christian. I went to church every Sunday even in college. I thought you could never take my faith away from me. Then a friend of mine was raped. The rapist was never charged and got away scott-free, and I thought, "We have failed this woman. She has been scarred for life and this guy will not be punished. At least in the final Judgement he will pay for his crimes." So I cracked my Bible and looked for the punishment for rape. "How can this be?" I thought. "This is impossible!" Well the answer is that according to the Bible women are property first owned by their fathers then by their husbands. They are worth a monetary value at marriage and if they are not virgins at marriage they are stoned to death thereby losing the worth of the woman. A raped woman can never be married so the father is out that money so the victim must marry her rapist and the rapist pays for her and they can never get divorced

I brushed that off and trudged on. "It's a silly rule of a tribe that made its way into the Bible. It doesn't apply anymore."

Then I went to church one day and was told that being tolerant of other people is evil. At the time my roommate was Muslim. My roommate was awesome. So I cracked my Bible to see what I should do. Options ranged from killing him, murdering and burning the entire city men women and children even if there is only one non-believer, to just staying away.

Even Jesus got in on the action.

The examples go on and on. I kept finding more and more atrocities in the Bible. But I was firm. I was a Christian. I believed in the Holy Bible. There are many more good passages than bad Then I realized. I'm throwing out passages that I disagree with. Who am I to do that? Who has that authority? No one. How can it be the Holy Gospel if I just pick and choose what I believe.

Then it hit me.

That's all the Bible is used for. Picking and choosing things that validate our beliefs. If it really is God's Word we must follow all of it or none of it. No one can decide what parts of God's Word to believe and what to throw away. If it is "Divinely Inspired" then it's just written by some dude. How is anything he wrote Gospel?

I don't want to kill people who work on Sunday.

I don't want to own women or treat them like poo poo.

I don't want to own slaves.

I don't want babies that die at birth to go to hell just as a matter of course.

The list goes on and on.

Now am I just focusing on the negatives? Yes. But is throwing out all the bad stuff and only reading the good stuff any better? I'd still just be cherry-picking my Bible. People 100 years ago burned women for the possibility they might be a witch. We don't do that anymore because it's horrible. But the Bible demands it . How far are you willing to go back to be a good Christian?

I want to be a good person. I don't need the Bible to do that.

Travic fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 5, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Kyrie eleison posted:

You display the height of hypocrisy when, in the middle of your (amazingly self-described) "gently caress-you to the contempt-filled", you give me the finger. Do you have any self-awareness? Any at all?

If you're going to condemn contempt, you can't do it while spewing contempt. If you want to promote a polite and moderated discussion, then you have to be polite and moderated.

Unlike you, and other fakers, I won't deny it: I have contempt for some people, and I don't mind putting people off, if they deserve it.

Another thing: I used the word "muting" because poster "A Protagonist" used it. Take your snarky quotes around it to him. And it is a forum feature. I don't give a gently caress if you, or anyone else doesn't like the fact that I ignore those who contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation but abuse. They do not deserve my attention.

It would seem I am flawed, yes. I'm working on it. Aren't we all? And as it happens, I think precious few people care if you ignore people. Which is why it is so obnoxious when you announce it like a priest pronouncing excommunication. God is great, you however are just a squeaky little microbe in the vastness of creation that they fortunately happen to love. Just like the rest of us. Atheists too!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

This is the guy who blocks people in D&D for debating and discussing his views as to why we are sociopaths destined for hell for not believing his snowflake religion.

You wouldn't know contempt if it hit you in the face.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 5, 2014

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dust is merely the blood of suns. Decay is merely war writ small. Creation is merely war writ large. Nurgle, like the Star Gods, is merely another of the thousand faces of Khorne.

Hmm, it is true that many of the greatest diseases cause blood to flow from the host, and some of the greatest plagues known to us do spread via the blood, but I am not yet convinced. What does a God need with a skull throne? If Khorne's lust for blood cannot be sated, why does he need a place to sit? Shouldn't he be out letting blood all the time to try and quench his eternal thirst? Nurgle needs a throne because Nurgle is a thinking man's God who spends his days researching and inventing better and better plagues.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Dude, I don't know how you can not get it any harder. The people who have contempt for you in this thread are fairly open about it and will be as impolite as they want to you. You, meanwhile, are king faker who hides posts by anyone who shows more contempt than calling you assbreath and insists everyone post like they're sending an email to their boss. If getting called mean names gets you so riled up go take a walk or something, maybe stick to ADTRW for a while and watch some sweet animes.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Who What Now posted:

I support NAMBLA and the KKK, when a baby dies- I get hard. I once killed a vagrant and a hooker, but my Lawyer daddy successfully blocked the investigation.

What the hell is WRONG with you, Who What Now? You seem like a really terrible person. Why would you say all those horrible things?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

DrProsek posted:

Dude, I don't know how you can not get it any harder. The people who have contempt for you in this thread are fairly open about it and will be as impolite as they want to you. You, meanwhile, are king faker who hides posts by anyone who shows more contempt than calling you assbreath and insists everyone post like they're sending an email to their boss. If getting called mean names gets you so riled up go take a walk or something, maybe stick to ADTRW for a while and watch some sweet animes.

Yes. I know they do. I wasn't addressing them. I was addressing those who pretend to have no contempt. And I don't care. And I will ignore them if they are unreasonable, as they deserve. Just like I'm going to do to you.

The Snark posted:

It would seem I am flawed, yes. I'm working on it. Aren't we all? And as it happens, I think precious few people care if you ignore people. Which is why it is so obnoxious when you announce it like a priest pronouncing excommunication. God is great, you however are just a squeaky little microbe in the vastness of creation that they fortunately happen to love. Just like the rest of us. Atheists too!

There is nothing wrong with saying I am putting people on ignore, so that people might know their punishment, and others might avoid it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes. I know they do. I wasn't addressing them. I was addressing those who pretend to have no contempt. And I don't care. And I will ignore them if they are unreasonable, as they deserve. Just like I'm going to do to you.

There is nothing wrong with saying I am putting people on ignore, so that people might know their punishment, and others might avoid it.

Hahahaha, punishment? Look at the stones on you, son. I swear, if your sneering sense of self-righteousness got any denser it'd threaten to collapse into a new Kirk Cameron movie.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes. I know they do. I wasn't addressing them. And I don't care. And I will ignore them if they are unreasonable, as they deserve. Just like I'm going to do to you.

Dude being on your ignore list ain't a punishment, first because you read our posts anyway and second because in a debate/discussion, refusing to acknowledge or respond to people's arguments makes your own arguments look incredibly weak and so you just hurt your own points while making the thread less interesting for the rest of us. You just hurt the quality of your own thread and it makes you look really petty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Man, its almost as if you want us to accept your arguments at face value rather than debating and discussing them....

...much like your other threads prior.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Snark posted:

What the hell is WRONG with you, Who What Now? You seem like a really terrible person. Why would you say all those horrible things?

The things about you? Because they're true, mostly. You're thoughts are vapid and shallow and the majority of your posts are nothing but bemoaning the fact that people use naughty words in their arguments. You have the fragile sensibilities of the most sheltered geriatrics and were this the antebellum south you'd be crying how our uncouthness was giving you a case of the vapors.

Those other things? I didn't and you don't really understand jokes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CommieGIR posted:

Man, its almost as if you want us to accept your arguments at face value rather than debating and discussing them....

...much like your other threads prior.

How dare you post, when he has you on ignore as a punishment! Don't you feel punished, and in such shame that you can only vow to mend your wicked ways?!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Travic posted:

I've thought long and hard about how to approach this. First off you probably came here looking for either a discussion on how great Jesus is or to try and convert people (which is fine. The Bible says to teach people about Jesus), but I'm going to go ahead and tell you you're never going to get that on somethingawful. Religion is one of those things people have made up their minds about, and I'm about to explain why.

I don't want to try and convert you. Your religion is very important to you. The Bible warns against associating with atheists because they will corrupt you. I don't want to do that.

I do believe in God, but I do not believe in the Bible. You will not convince me that the Bible is great and I will not convince you that is it horrible. What I can do is tell you my story and have you think long and hard about it to understand why people here hate it.

I used to be a hard core Christian. I went to church every Sunday even in college. I thought you could never take my faith away from me. Then a friend of mine was raped. The rapist was never charged and got away scott-free, and I thought, "We have failed this woman. She has been scarred for life and this guy will not be punished. At least in the final Judgement he will pay for his crimes." So I cracked my Bible and looked for the punishment for rape. "How can this be?" I thought. "This is impossible!" Well the answer is that according to the Bible women are property first owned by their fathers then by their husbands. They are worth a monetary value at marriage and if they are not virgins at marriage they are stoned to death thereby losing the worth of the woman. A raped woman can never be married so the father is out that money so the victim must marry her rapist and the rapist pays for her and they can never get divorced

I brushed that off and trudged on. "It's a silly rule of a tribe that made its way into the Bible. It doesn't apply anymore."

Then I went to church one day and was told that being tolerant of other people is evil. At the time my roommate was Muslim. My roommate was awesome. So I cracked my Bible to see what I should do. Options ranged from killing him, murdering and burning the entire city men women and children even if there is only one non-believer, to just staying away.

Even Jesus got in on the action.

The examples go on and on. I kept finding more and more atrocities in the Bible. But I was firm. I was a Christian. I believed in the Holy Bible. There are many more good passages than bad Then I realized. I'm throwing out passages that I disagree with. Who am I to do that? Who has that authority? No one. How can it be the Holy Gospel if I just pick and choose what I believe.

Then it hit me.

That's all the Bible is used for. Picking and choosing things that validate our beliefs. If it really is God's Word we must follow all of it or none of it. No one can decide what parts of God's Word to believe and what to throw away. If it is "Divinely Inspired" then it's just written by some dude. How is anything he wrote Gospel?

I don't want to kill people who work on Sunday.

I don't want to own women or treat them like poo poo.

I don't want to own slaves.

I don't want babies that die at birth to go to hell just as a matter of course.

The list goes on and on.

Now am I just focusing on the negatives? Yes. But is throwing out all the bad stuff and only reading the good stuff any better? I'd still just be cherry-picking my Bible. People 100 years ago burned women for the possibility they might be a witch. We don't do that anymore because it's horrible. But the Bible demands it . How far are you willing to go back to be a good Christian?

I want to be a good person. I don't need the Bible to do that.

I wholly agree with the last two sentences. That said, I am not sure I agree with the rest of your assertions. Interpretations can vary wildly, which could be by design, many of those quotes do not outright say what you claim they do. I don't think God wanted faith to be particularly simple. The Word may well be in the Bible but IS it the Bible? The Bible as we know it was voted into existence by a mortal authority in addition to being written by mortal men even if by dictation. I am not sure THEY wouldn't have daftly added errata- though successfully doing so would seem to imply that too is quite within God's plan.

If you have an omnipotent omniscient entity who wants to be believed in but doesn't want people to believe they KNOW them (but rather, to simply try to), it would seem to me that encouraging uncertainty would not be an overly improbable tactic. Though, again, it's not as if there is an indisputable answer to any of this. Just things we hope are true and- in some cases- simply have to trust TO God.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 5, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Bwhaha wow

Gonna hold on to this one.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I got ignored for your sins

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Who What Now posted:

The things about you? Because they're true, mostly. You're thoughts are vapid and shallow and the majority of your posts are nothing but bemoaning the fact that people use naughty words in their arguments. You have the fragile sensibilities of the most sheltered geriatrics and were this the antebellum south you'd be crying how our uncouthness was giving you a case of the vapors.

Those other things? I didn't and you don't really understand jokes.

If that's a joke, you're sadly mistaken in believing you're funny. Believing what your own straw men say does not make them true, Murderer.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
KE is SUPER good at riling up retard atheists. He is honestly one of my favorite posters for this reason: he just says what he believes and people fall over themselves to make snarky comments like they aren't the ones getting trolled. I don't mean that he is a fake poster or anything, he is just a catholic anime goon innocently making posts while the forums burn around him.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 5, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kyrie eleison posted:

A Very Serious Poster posted:

Okay, I think we can close the thread now, I don't think it's going to get any more amazing than this sequence of events.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Snark posted:

If that's a joke, you're sadly mistaken in believing you're funny. Believing what your own straw men say does not make them true, Murderer.

The manner in which I utilized was meant to be humorous, but I am quite serious that you are astonishingly insipid and incapable of having a single interesting thought beyond "Oh gosh, I don't think you guys should be so mean all the time." You're like the old trope of a woman standing on a chair after seeing a mouse given human form.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Kyrie, to get this thread back on some semblance of being on track:

What was it, specifically, that turned you away from your belief initially? What was it, specifically, that brought you back?

When you were an atheist, did you really think there was no God, or were you just denying Him (suppressing the truth) because you were angry with Christianity or something?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Miltank posted:

innocently making posts

You know this isn't true, and this thread was started for totally dishonest reasons.

I think what's so riling is how well spoken he is for the incredibly stupid poo poo that comes out of his mouth. Exhibit A:

Kyrie eleison posted:

strict adherent to 100% correct Catholic doctrine.
Recall that Catholic doctrine states condoms will accelerate the spread of aids, just for example.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

When you were an atheist, did you really think there was no God, or were you just denying Him (suppressing the truth) because you were angry with Christianity or something?
He was never actually an atheist by his own admission in the same post he claims to have been ardently atheist.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I think any person who is of a truly spiritual persuasion will come to appreciate Christianity.

You are making assumptions about me. I have been ardently atheist for over a decade of my life. And I know what you mean, about realizing man-made fabrications, and I think it is good to be skeptical and a critical thinker.

The thing is, atheism made me miserable. To be without the eternal was a great loss. Life apart from God was empty.

I always had a connection with God, and with Jesus, which was very special to me, in my heart of hearts. And that is why I returned to religion, and have felt comforted by it ever since.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Snark posted:

I wholly agree with the last two sentences. That said, I am not sure I agree with the rest of your assertions. Interpretations can vary wildly, which could be by design, many of those quotes do not outright say what you claim they do. I don't think God wanted faith to be particularly simple. The Word may well be in the Bible but IS it the Bible? The Bible as we know it was voted into existence by a mortal authority in addition to being written by mortal men even if by dictation. I am not sure THEY wouldn't have daftly added errata- though successfully doing so would seem to imply that too is quite within God's plan.

If you have an omnipotent omniscient entity who wants to be believed in but doesn't want people to believe they KNOW them (but rather, to simply try to), it would seem to me that encouraging uncertainty would not be an overly improbable tactic. Though, again, it's not as if there is an indisputable answer to any of this. Just things we hope are true and- in some cases- simply have to trust TO God.

No all the quotes I used are very clear in what they say. They say stone un-believers, rape victims must marry their rapists, slavery is ok, murder cities if they have non-believers, women are property, etc etc. There is no ambiguity.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Travic posted:

No all the quotes I used are very clear in what they say. They say stone un-believers, rape victims must marry their rapists, slavery is ok, murder cities if they have non-believers, women are property, etc etc. There is no ambiguity.

"Jesus (through brutal human sacrifice) fulfilled the old law, demonstration of inherent human inadequacy, etcetera etcetera etcetera" :jerkbag:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Travic posted:

the bible: no ambiguity.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Miltank posted:

On some things in the old law there is no ambiguity. Don't intentionally misrepresent what you know him to be saying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

KE is SUPER good at riling up retard atheists. He is honestly one of my favorite posters for this reason: he just says what he believes and people fall over themselves to make snarky comments like they aren't the ones getting trolled. I don't mean that he is a fake poster or anything, he is just a catholic anime goon innocently making posts while the forums burn around him.

What? Bad faith arguments might annoy people in D&D? Surely you jest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I do enjoy watching Kyrie have a breakdown, it makes me happy.

Serious question, is there a single shred of any evidence that can lead us to accept jesus christ and god as da real deal?

Miltank posted:

Are you retarded? The part he is quoting was literally written to effectively be a book of laws.

edit: Haha didn't see your post higher up that confirms the 'tard suspicion:

Miltank posted:

#puppetmaster

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 5, 2014

• Locked thread