Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mad Jaqk posted:

Is there a way to force the champion boss rush? I'm going for Lost unlocks and I'd rather not have to spend the entire fight dodging the Carrion Queen's red poops.

Nothing other than getting the two drops that increase champion spawn rate and hoping for a red/blue mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finally managed to beat Mega Satan on a really lucky Judas run that netted me both ???'s Only Friend and the BFF item. Even then, I only had 2 hearts left out of the full batch by the time I finally dropped the bastard.

Is there any point to killing him besides getting the final ending and the Godhead (if you're a loving lunatic)? His icon doesn't even show up on the status screen and he doesn't drop any items.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

PantsBandit posted:

I finally beat Mega Satan tonight! Been grinding out Judas runs the last couple nights for it. Had a couple runs where I made it there and then died, many runs where I gave up halfway through because I was getting crap drops/no angel rooms, and a couple where I had a great run going and then somehow managed to screw up in the cathedral. The final run I ended up with shielded tears, polythemus, number one, coal, and tooth shot (obviously among some others). I was able to just sit back and have a nice relaxing fight, letting the shielded tears protect me from the bullet hell sequences.

I think I'm ready for a break from BoI for a while :)

Judas buddies first mega satan for life.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I finally got a Brimstone + Ludovico combo, and that + Pulse Worm is hilarious.

E: My Mega Satan clear was on Eden, I think. I'd like to have done more, but most Angel Rooms I've done since then have been rerolled to get Holy Grail to drop and then Godhead after that.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 5, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mega Satan only unlocks an ending, a save-file picture and one of the God achievements. I don't think you actually need to kill him for the Godhead.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Everyone talks about wafer+sharp plug+d6 but haven't seen anyone mention that CANCER is a wafer-like as long as you don't leave the room. And change d6 out for book of revelations or satanic bible for infinite life. If you have wafer (or cancer)+plug+d6 (or d20) and get a devil room or see a heart-making book show up, you can reroll any other item in the level until you exhaust the item pool.

Another infinite life loop is converter+guppy's paw.

You don't really need infinite life to have a good chance at most items, though. Fanny pack and the humbling bundle alone give you a decent chance of getting back your sharp plug hits.

Also, people keep bringing up the scapular as a (potentially valid) way to obtain infinite re-rolls, but leave out one important fact: you have to leave the room to get scapular to refresh. This means that you will lose all monster manual progress toward a meat-achievement and will likely have the angel room close permanently if you can't force it to stay open.

And just for the gently caress of it, I'll go on record saying that humbling bundle+fanny pack+contract from below will usually give you all the hearts, soul hearts, coins, pills, cards, keys and bombs you could want just by running into a flame over and over again. Make sure you have some buffer life around the level before you do this, because you will have a bad run of no hearts eventually. Does luck affect fanny pack?

Happy Big Fun fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mega Satan only unlocks an ending, a save-file picture and one of the God achievements. I don't think you actually need to kill him for the Godhead.

You definitely don't need to kill him on hard since I never did, so you don't need him for godhead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You only need to beat Mega Satan once but its a fun fight so I'd like to do it more often. Its a pain in the rear end to get it unlocked though. I feel the same way about the boss rush where I want to do it more because its fun but can basically never got to Mom fast enough without rushing. Only character I can make it to Mom in under 20 minutes without skipping stuff is Azazel because he obliterates everything.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Internet Kraken posted:

You only need to beat Mega Satan once but its a fun fight so I'd like to do it more often. Its a pain in the rear end to get it unlocked though. I feel the same way about the boss rush where I want to do it more because its fun but can basically never got to Mom fast enough without rushing. Only character I can make it to Mom in under 20 minutes without skipping stuff is Azazel because he obliterates everything.

Its pretty easy to get angel rooms, idk why people complain about it so much. Just skip the first/second devil room and you are all but guaranteed to get at least 2 angel rooms.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

ProfessionalNinja posted:

I got 9 Lives in a Curse room, and all that happened was I died walking out of the door, and kept respawning in the Curse room.

What you gotta do is edge your way up to the door and graze it, so you die within the curse room and respawn outside it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I get the boss rush pretty consistently, though it means I usually only hit up the treasure room and the boss on each level -- I don't go for full clears or even search out the shop just because to me getting two guaranteed items (with one of them a choice between four possibilities) is just way better than a handful of consumables and a tarot card or something. This also means I never play the arcade room, but honestly I get enough consumables that I don't have to worry about it (on Normal)

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Finally got around to trying Azazel, and man that was an easy mode run. I spent the entire run doing stupid poo poo, and still beat Mom with two fulls rows of soul hearts. Sadly I didn't get to keep the pain train going, but it was fun while it lasted.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

ACTUAL BOI QUESTIONS: How the gently caress am I supposed to get meta boy and bandage girl. I know about the infinite charge tricks now but I can't even get a loving monster manual to appear. I've been fully exploring the cathedral and chest in my recent runs since that seems like my best chance at items but gotten nothing. Its getting pretty annoying. I've never even gotten beyond level 2 in either of them trying to conventional way.

In doing this I did discover that blowing up slot machines in the chest always results in an item pedestal. Kind of interesting.
I actually just got done doing this today.

You aren't looking for a monster manual per say. Its unlikely the monster manual will fall out in the perfect situation. You really want to go for a regular breaking run.
The combo that let me do it was Wafer + Plug + Gimpy. Eventually I also got dark bum after a few rerolls, but I had to go all the way for D20. Make sure you set up 2 rooms with space bar items and to save Book of Revelations when it finally shows up if you don't have scapular. You will be using monster manual A LOT. I think it took me almost 5-10 minutes of constant rolling to get lv 4 meat boy and bandage girl. (If you are missing Secret Room items as well, don't pass up the chance in this run to start rolling in the secret rooms too, just dump some pills and trinkets in there and D20 till you get items then D6 it. Tip: Pick up Undefined LAST.)

EDIT: Actually you'll need the book of revelations in the room with you when you start doing the monster manual either that or have a poo poo load of bombs + Pyromaniac. You can't leave the room while doing the monster manual or it'll reset your progress. So scapular won't work in this instance.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think this is the smallest I've ever gotten my character in this game thanks to effectively getting 2x Small Mushroom effect due to the mushroom trinket. It looks even better next to the huge Hive Mind flies.

Also, this run is amazing for two other reasons. For one, I finally understand some people's love for key beggars. With luck up and/or Mom's Key (the latter gives more loot from chests, especially gold ones) you can make back your key investment the first time you get a gold chest. Seriously, Mom's Key turns gold chests into room-filling explosions of loot. Secondly, this is the easiest Guppy I've ever gotten. Floor 3 Devil Deal gave me both the Paw and the Hairball when I started with an HP blessed Eden. Sure, the hairball's not that great but it was Guppy Item 2/3 and I had Hive Mind which would make Guppy loving awesome if I got it. The very next floor my purchase paid off with Guppy's Head in a cursed room. It's not the "3 Guppy Items in a floor 1 cursed room" jackpot, but it's the fastest I went from no Guppy to full Guppy.

E2: And I just got Infestation shot to go with my Hive Mind Guppy. I'm spawning flies the size of small birds and loving tarantulas the size of small dogs now. :stare:

AKYD
KVJL
in case anyone else wants to try.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 5, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kind of wonder how you're supposed to fight Mega Satan as Azazel though. You'd have to get right up into his face just to do damage and have basically no room to dodge whatsoever.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of wonder how you're supposed to fight Mega Satan as Azazel though. You'd have to get right up into his face just to do damage and have basically no room to dodge whatsoever.

You find brimstone from a devil room or just don't bother with mega satan. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Libra + Dr. Fetus gives you bombs with the same damage and fire rate as normal tears. Of course, the bombs are still bombs, so they can knock each other around and blow up in your face. I lost 9 lives in the first boss fight after I picked up that combo, and I don't think the boss hit me once...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Boss Rush is pretty easy and fun to trigger. If I avoid backtracking and gambling I usually get it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've seen It Lives fights where I didn't have to move to win instantly, just press button win with the Bible or a good Tammy's Head setup. I've never seen an It Lives fight where I literally did not have a chance to do anything as the boss got auto-dunked. I walked in, the title screen played, and then It Lives literally exploded faster than I could react because all of the Spiders spawned in a ball at the very center of the room to telefrag the boss. Literally the only shots fired during the fight was the boss's ring of death.

And yes, this is how many Spiders I have left AFTER my spider army telefragged It Lives.

E: And done. Lamb got one shot off before he split, and his head instantly died.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 5, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Welp. Just died to The Lamb on Hard with The Lost. Ah well at least I already have the unlocks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Welp. Just died to The Lamb on Hard with The Lost. Ah well at least I already have the unlocks.

Haha, good one! Playing The Lost for fun, that's gotta be the joke of the year! :xd:

In other news, apparently the game loves me. I've been doing a ton of Isaac runs trying to get the last couple of item pickups for RPG and it was getting a bit boring, so I decided to do an Azazel run (since those are always hilarious)...

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Your Computer posted:

Haha, good one! Playing The Lost for fun, that's gotta be the joke of the year! :xd:

Maybe he was finishing a run after only needing the boss rush, I did the same thing only I beat the lamb.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mad Jaqk posted:

Is there a way to force the champion boss rush? I'm going for Lost unlocks and I'd rather not have to spend the entire fight dodging the Carrion Queen's red poops.

If you're careful, you can use the red poop to win the fight. A lot of the other bosses interact with it and take damage. :v:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
all these screenshots with the filter turned on. disgusting.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

poo poo devil room in basement 2 made great wit abundance rune

Edit: is that tablebreaking? On my phone and i dont know how to make it a tumbnail

Vv ty

bat duck fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 5, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

bat duck posted:

poo poo devil room in basement 2 made great wit abundance rune

Edit: is that tablebreaking? On my phone and i dont know how to make it a tumbnail

change [img] into [timg] (same for the [/img]

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

You get yourself a full set of orbitals and you park under his jaw. Most of his bullets move pretty slow and can be intercepted by orbitals before they hit you. Even more so if you have stuff like BFF or Guardian Angel.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I just figured I should go through and do it legitimately after doing it with the Guppy glitch. I've gotten my chest clear and I only drop in for a Lost run every now and then instead of just beating my head against the wall with him like some people.

Boss Rush probably won't ever happen unless something crazy like Holy Mantle, Brimstone, Spoon Bender and Tammy's Head happens though.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Finally got my Meat Boy and Bandage Girl achievements using the Richard Hammer strategy of Sharp Plug + Monster Manual + Pyromaniac for healing.

It took me 10 minutes and I felt kind of silly when I was finished.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Unlocked Everything is Terrible and The Cellar in the same run. Considering starting a new file because jesus gently caress, you guys weren't joking about The Cellar being complete balls.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

i stood right next to his arms and he had trouble hitting me

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Sdoots posted:

Unlocked Everything is Terrible and The Cellar in the same run. Considering starting a new file because jesus gently caress, you guys weren't joking about The Cellar being complete balls.

Extra bonus: On the Vita, the game's brightness is locked to 80% and if it's daytime, the Cellar is actually pitch black.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
:flashfap: Monstro's lip, mysterious liquid and godhead. With almost maxed out visible damage and enough range to spit nearly across the room horizontally. and in 5 minutes I'm gonna get killed by something completely retarded because that's how it usually goes when I get a winning combo :sigh:

e: aaaand there's guppy :3:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 5, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Nastyman posted:

:flashfap: Monstro's lip, mysterious liquid and godhead. With almost maxed out visible damage and enough range to spit nearly across the room horizontally. and in 5 minutes I'm gonna get killed by something completely retarded because that's how it usually goes when I get a winning combo :sigh:

Do you use f.lux?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

Do you use f.lux?

:psyduck: That wouldn't explain it, since f.lux changes your monitor settings and doesn't change the actual pixels in memory. Since a screenshot is essentially just a memory dump, I literally have no idea how he managed to get that sepia tint.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Sdoots posted:

Hold R to restart until you get the basement instead. :haw:

On a semi-related note, I think the worst part about the haunt is that if you have the ludovico technique, the ghosts he spawn move quicker than your tear can. Odds are you wont have any upgrades that will make your tear move quicker at that point and so you'll probably end up dying with an item that is otherwise pretty fun and useful. I've had 3 runs with the ludovico technique get ruined this way. :negative:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Your Computer posted:

:psyduck: That wouldn't explain it, since f.lux changes your monitor settings and doesn't change the actual pixels in memory. Since a screenshot is essentially just a memory dump, I literally have no idea how he managed to get that sepia tint.

Sepia tint? Your game doesn't look like that? :psyduck:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Nastyman posted:

Sepia tint? Your game doesn't look like that? :psyduck:

For reference, here's how my game looks in the same area.

Your game has a weird yellow tint to it for some reason.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've spent the past day trying to unlock the D6

Got a viable cathedral build, but rolled it away in a dice room

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Well, that's weird. I have no idea what's up with that.