Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MiketheGreat posted:

So what you're saying is that it's a different photon in every frame of the GIF and science is lying to us!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiketheGreat posted:

So what you're saying is that it's a different photon in every frame of the GIF and science is lying to us!?

yeah there is no way to shoot a billion or trillion frames per second, at best this is a scientifically directed artist's rendition

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah there is no way to shoot a billion or trillion frames per second, at best this is a scientifically directed artist's rendition

Repeatability of an experiment be DAMNED!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

I assumed Allison Williams had a long history of theater acting that led to her beating out lots of other actresses for a very difficult part

Nope, LOL

What was the name of the actress who played Peter Pan in the 80's? I remember her being pretty great at the part. Or was that still Mary Martin?

ed: Holy poo poo, that was still just a Mary Martin VHS I used to watch. I wish they had cast Lena Ham as Captain Hook

Wow, you'd think she was related to someone at NBC or something.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I guess you could shoot it with a bunch of closely located cameras at staggered intervals and with overlapping fields of view, and then stitch the photo sequences back together. I guess one caveat could be that even one of these cameras costs like at least a hundred bucks!!! And the end result could at best look identical to this one.

holttho
May 21, 2007

"scientifically directed artist's rendition" is actually pretty drat accurate.

When you get down to one photon on the quantum mechanics level, none of the rules really even apply. Photons don't go the speed of light, they go both faster and slower. They don't go in a straight line, they not only curve, but sometimes go backwards or get caught in spirals. And the angle of incidence is not the angle of reflection; they bounce wherever the hell they want. They just average out to to the standard rules. The camera just works by taking in a ridiculous amount of data and sorts out the even-more-ridiculous amount of noise to give you the neat little video.

Though don't be fooled, there is some real science going on there. If you want a mind boggling proof on all that stuff, Richard Feynman's QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter is a fascinating read. However, even though Feynman's prose is awesome to help you understand, as armchair scientist books go, it is extremely difficult due to the non-intuitive nature of the subject matter.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Sunrise

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Karate Bastard posted:

I guess you could shoot it with a bunch of closely located cameras at staggered intervals and with overlapping fields of view, and then stitch the photo sequences back together. I guess one caveat could be that even one of these cameras costs like at least a hundred bucks!!! And the end result could at best look identical to this one.

would a hundred dollar camera likely have the internals necessary to program a shutter to fire a trillionth of a second after the one before it? i think light travels faster than the electricity in the circuits that would make the shutter operate, and thats hardcore science right there.:colbert:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MiketheGreat posted:

To see a photon presumably a photon has to hit a sensor, and yet we're seeing a photon hitting a mirror instead. So we're not really seeing this happen anyway. It's a thin tissue of lies! (Alternatively, I have no loving clue about the intricacies of imaging single photons.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tracula posted:

Christ. I thought that was Jim Carrey at first.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :lol:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

To see a photon presumably a photon has to hit a sensor, and yet we're seeing a photon hitting a mirror instead. So we're not really seeing this happen anyway. It's a thin tissue of lies! (Alternatively, I have no loving clue about the intricacies of imaging single photons.)

I'm thinking the photon is interacting with a gas of some kind? Otherwise how could you see it?

There was another experiment similar to this where you could see light illuminate something in super slow motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RbLLYCiyGE

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
While I am not familiar with the particulars of the mirror example, generally these are taken with pulses of light, not individual photons.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Sorry, I had to put the bear party thing to music.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com%2Fg0ZAuqa.gif%3F1&v=g-fmPm7mWO0&s=85

Forgiveness, please.

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry

so uh christopher walken actually can tap

at least, he could 10 years ago

he just apparently gives zero fucks about this thing

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Tiamat posted:

so uh christopher walken actually can tap

at least, he could 10 years ago

he just apparently gives zero fucks about this thing

He actually learned to tap dance as a kid, it was how the moms in his neighborhood kept their kids from getting into trouble. As he once said in an interview after mentioning that: "... So I got a theory, that alot of these old cops from the Bronx... can tap dance."

Not the first time Walken has done some weak poo poo for a paycheck either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxPCTebMzI

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I didn't even know this was a thing. I'm starting to feel compelled to go on Hulu and watching this Peter Pan thing to see how bad it was, and also to look up as much information about it online to see why it came to exist in the first place.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I loved this movie as a kid.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Action-Bastard posted:

He actually learned to tap dance as a kid, it was how the moms in his neighborhood kept their kids from getting into trouble. As he once said in an interview after mentioning that: "... So I got a theory, that alot of these old cops from the Bronx... can tap dance."

Not the first time Walken has done some weak poo poo for a paycheck either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxPCTebMzI

I seem to remember he actually said at some point that he'll take any job. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Guy's gotta eat.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jamesman posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing. I'm starting to feel compelled to go on Hulu and watching this Peter Pan thing to see how bad it was, and also to look up as much information about it online to see why it came to exist in the first place.

I wouldn't bother, it's mostly just boring. And it came to be because the live thing they did last year was a ratings beast, so they will do this forever now. Next year is Music Man, I think.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chrome took so long loading this that it made it even worse. She didn't change expression or blink for like 3 minutes straight.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

King Vidiot posted:

Chrome took so long loading this that it made it even worse. She didn't change expression or blink for like 3 minutes straight.

I've had the browser open for a few hours now doing other things and she still hasn't blinked. Is this like looking into the Abyss? :ohdear:

*Slowly cracks a smile*

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
City of God

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

A great but depressing, hosed up movie. I lived in Rio for a year and passed by the favela many times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

I loved this movie as a kid.

The reason nobody else has done anything with Dick Tracy is that Warren Beatty is sitting on the rights.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Travic posted:

*Slowly cracks a smile*

http://i.imgur.com/3ux2Iol.webm

Pretend it was a gif.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ugh... the slurping...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Action-Bastard posted:

It does lead to some glorious poo poo though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKlBq-MDq-0
God Ripper is amazing in the "holy poo poo what are you doing in this FMV game"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KARMA! posted:

Pretend it was a gif.

Why pretend?

You can freely change between mp4, gif, gifv, and webm with imgur gif links, so just make it a .gif when you're stuck in the stone age, like on these here forums in the year of our lord 1995

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Why pretend?

You can freely change between mp4, gif, gifv, and webm with imgur gif links, so just make it a .gif when you're stuck in the stone age, like on these here forums in the year of our lord 1995

Or just install SALR and have it automagically do all those plus twitter links.

Still grateful for all those people who put a screencap of the tweet below the link for the unwashed masses though. Lot of important stuff there.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe this is on Netflix and this looks like it owns so I'm going to check it out, thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

I believe this is on Netflix and this looks like it owns so I'm going to check it out, thanks.

Both of these are true statements (or at least the first one was when I watched it, hopefully Netflix has kept the rights for it).

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Here's the video, for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byp0q_O1Fss

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/CRalaRR.gifv
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mts0TP_J3c8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Sunrise so much. Please post gifs of 1920s Christian Bale menacing 1920s J. K. Simmons for making a move on his lady :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless