Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

Are any women impressed by this? Can i be a scoundrel with a fart of gold?

too bad

I think the blonde water element(?) girl gets upset at it but you gain points, it has been like 14 or 15 years and, tragically, my mind can only hold so much anime in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MotU posted:

I think the blonde water element(?) girl gets upset at it but you gain points, it has been like 14 or 15 years and, tragically, my mind can only hold so much anime in it
forget your own name to make more room for anime

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

I need to refer to myself in the third person to be as anime as possible so this is not efficient!!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
While we're talking about PSX RPGs apparently Langrisser IV got an English translation patch at some point so you should play that imho.

Also what was the name of that weird PSX RPG where you were some kind of monster trainer and you went into a tower to do things and I don't remember much about it as you can see

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

While we're talking about PSX RPGs apparently Langrisser IV got an English translation patch at some point so you should play that imho.

I had never heard of this series, I might check it out. Also I totally forgot that the Sega Saturn was a system, holy crap.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also what was the name of that weird PSX RPG where you were some kind of monster trainer and you went into a tower to do things and I don't remember much about it as you can see
Azure Dreams?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Azure Dreams?

Yes and it was probably one of my favorite PSX games, it was basically a mystery-dungeon type game but you could build up your town and buy furniture for your house

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sounds exactly like azure Dreams. Or maybe jewel summoner?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Heavy neutrino posted:

I took a look at it when the translation patch came out, but it kinda slipped my mind. Is it any good?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

MockingQuantum posted:

I had never heard of this series, I might check it out. Also I totally forgot that the Sega Saturn was a system, holy crap.

It's all pretty good and I highly recommend playing Langrisser II and Der Langrisser, both of which have English fan translation patches.

Variant_Eris posted:

I took a look at it when the translation patch came out, but it kinda slipped my mind. Is it any good?

I played it in Japanese off the PSN release of IV & V so I don't know about the patch but the game itself is very good (and very anime).

Zereth posted:

Azure Dreams?

YES that's it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Omg I love Azure Dreams so much and I always crave more mystery dungeon games. Chocobo, Pokemon, whatever. GIMME

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dackel posted:

Omg I love Azure Dreams so much and I always crave more mystery dungeon games. Chocobo, Pokemon, whatever. GIMME

Etrian Odyssey is the next one we're getting. I'm pretty hype for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 had a bizarrely good plot for a game called 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2'

Including a stone motherfucking cold Drowzee

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Due to being an overachiever in junior high/high school, I skipped straight from the SNES to the PS2, so I missed out on the vast majority of PSX games. I've finally got some time to play some of the monstrous PSX-era games, so what do I absolutely owe it to myself to play?

I will say that I have played through all the FF PSX games (including Tactics) and Suikoden 1 & 2. Oh, also Koudelka because what is wrong with me. I'm not at all opposed to playing games that feel a little dated and I have a fairly high anime tolerance, if that matters for this era.

On an unrelated note, I lurk the thread occasionally, and I can't remember ever seeing any discussion about one of my hands-down favorte games: Lufia 2. Is it a much worse game than I remember it being, or is it just that uncommon?

Edit: I also played a lot of Persona 2, and don't care to go back to it.
off the top of my head: Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire 3, Vandal Hearts.

One game I haven't had a chance to play yet but looks adorable is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

I hesitate to mention it because all I remember from it are the anime cutscenes, but the first game I ever beat was a PSX era anime RPG called The Granstream Saga. I wanna say I liked it? It's been a really long time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 had a bizarrely good plot for a game called 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2'

Including a stone motherfucking cold Drowzee

mystery dungeons are best

even this horrible fangame http://www.desura.com/games/voyage-to-farland has merit

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Azure Dreams is awesome. I loved building myself a giant, opulent Scarface-esque mansion from my dungeon winnings so that I could rub it in the face of that kid that laughed at me when I was poor and had to bathe myself in a barrel out in the yard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Misadventures of Tron Bonne is fun but it isn't really an RPG. It's more like a weird action-puzzle-management sim.

It's also rare as hell.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alright, just based on responses in the thread, and what little I remember about them when they came out, I'm down to Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and SaGa Frontier 2 as my game options. I know they all have their warts, but I'm kind of excited for each of them. Not sure yet which I'll try first, but I do like me some giant robots.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

Misadventures of Tron Bonne is fun but it isn't really an RPG. It's more like a weird action-puzzle-management sim.

It's also rare as hell.
sorry, I was under the impression it was an action RPG.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

The mega man adventures games that it spun off from are closer to RPGs and it's rare as hell so most people have never actually played it, so that's a common misconception.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People recommending Chrono Cross should take into account MockingQuantum grew up with the SNES apparently and so might have a lot of attachment to Chrono Trigger, and that fact all on its own can be a deal breaker when it comes to your enjoyment of Cross.

I played CT and CC for the first time just a couple of months ago. Both good games and i also recommend giving Chrono Cross a shot for its amazing soundtrack and pretty awesome battle system. The world itself is also pretty neat and the graphics, for the time, are stellar.

But keeping all that in mind, there are quite a few problems in the games' storytelling and its relation to Trigger only exacerbates them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

People recommending Chrono Cross should take into account MockingQuantum grew up with the SNES apparently and so might have a lot of attachment to Chrono Trigger, and that fact all on its own can be a deal breaker when it comes to your enjoyment of Cross.

I played CT and CC for the first time just a couple of months ago. Both good games and i also recommend giving Chrono Cross a shot for its amazing soundtrack and pretty awesome battle system. The world itself is also pretty neat and the graphics, for the time, are stellar.

But keeping all that in mind, there are quite a few problems in the games' storytelling and its relation to Trigger only exacerbates them.

Yeah, I actually read all of your CT and CC experience (and yes, it's cool seeing someone play CT for the first time) so I understand what you mean about it being a dangerous trap if you have a fondness for CT. I really don't have any expectations for the game, beyond the fact that I'll probably end up ignoring most of the characters. I love the visual look of the game, and what music I've heard, and to be honest that's usually enough for me to enjoy a game, as long as the mechanics and story aren't bargain-bin bad.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NikkolasKing posted:

I started playing it a few months ago and around 6-8 hour mark I just stopped and started reading Dark_Ids LP of it. Glad I did cause I don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much as I did the lp.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

If you go into it with that attitude you'll be fine. It's a good game, albeit with a slightly obtuse story. Much of the rage at the game comes because when it was released rabid CT fans had been clamoring for a real sequel for YEARS, and then Chrono Cross not only wasn't what they were expecting but had only tenuous connections to the original game. Playing it now I don't think you'd be nearly as emotionally invested in hating it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Leper Residue posted:

I started playing it a few months ago and around 6-8 hour mark I just stopped and started reading Dark_Ids LP of it. Glad I did cause I don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much as I did the lp.

Dark Id's Let's Plays are like the only funny LPs where the jokes are good enough to be remembered separate from "man this game is so bad". I still remember stuff like that dolphin speech.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mycot posted:

Dark Id's Let's Plays are like the only funny LPs where the jokes are good enough to be remembered separate from "man this game is so bad". I still remember stuff like that dolphin speech.

On the other hand, he's actually not very funny and also is a massive drama-whore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

he's actually not very funny

You can't make decisions for me dad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A\So I have a question that is pertinent to the CC talk and also seems to crop up a lot in almost any discussion I have lately.

It's about "character agency." It's everyone's favorite buzzword of late it seems and I just don't get the fascination with it. For a Cross example, some people elsewhere told me they really dislike Serge because he lacked "agency" due to how he kinda just bumped around directionless from one event to the next with no real clear objectives or goals in the long term.

Why is this such a problem for some people? Does anyone here have a problem with it?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe… harem protaganists on fire off the shoulder of tenchi muyo. I watched nose bleeds gush in the dark near the chobits superstore. All those… tsunderes… will be lost in time, like [small cough] moes… in… anime. Time… to die…

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NikkolasKing posted:

A\So I have a question that is pertinent to the CC talk and also seems to crop up a lot in almost any discussion I have lately.

It's about "character agency." It's everyone's favorite buzzword of late it seems and I just don't get the fascination with it. For a Cross example, some people elsewhere told me they really dislike Serge because he lacked "agency" due to how he kinda just bumped around directionless from one event to the next with no real clear objectives or goals in the long term.

Why is this such a problem for some people? Does anyone here have a problem with it?

"If he doesn't give a gently caress, why should I?" It's a pretty simple storytelling matter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

For a Cross example, some people elsewhere told me they really dislike Serge because he lacked "agency" due to how he kinda just bumped around directionless from one event to the next with no real clear objectives or goals in the long term.

Well, it's basically your long-term motivation and some people are drawn to it (or repelled by a lack of it). In Suikoden, your final objective is always "fight The Man, maaaaaan!" and whether you're engaging the enemy army in a full-scale battle, liberating a captured town, or just asking a crazy hobo to help you fight the powa, you're progressing toward your ultimate objective. FF9 is more fractured because every individual character has his or her own thing they want, but the goal is still evident: stop Kuja from whatever harebrained thing he's trying to do now because otherwise he'll destroy the world--even though his motivations and desired end results change, too, he's still obviously a bad guy whose actions will unquestionably bring the planet to ruin. FF7 and Sephiroth, too: you always have that goal and no matter what else is going on, you're trying to work towards it.

FF8, on the other hand, has that lack of a real goal. You start out doing some missions, and then suddenly you just Candide it the gently caress up and your mission is to overcome a series of unfortunate events in order to ???--I guess get back to the Garden. But once you get there, you're like, "hey, what should we do?" and you're back to square one of not knowing what you're trying to do. It's like The Expendables: a bunch of expensive setpieces and explosions and poo poo, but the only reason any of it is happening is for the sake of the setpieces and explosions and poo poo.

Personally, I've never really been able to get into CC because your motivation is "episodically let Kid or Harle lead you around." Literally the only goal you have at the beginning of the game is "collect komodo scales" and while there's more going on in the story, you're never privy to that information until you beat FATE in like the last two or three hours of a fifty-hour game, and then after you beat the final boss it dumps that weird gently caress The World speech with the sperm allegory on you and that only confuses the player further. You always have these blinders on and they don't have to be there because there's almost no reason that the game can't tell you "hey yeah we're partners so if you want I can explain why the gently caress we're doing these stupid errands and that reason is because I'm trying to (I lie, CC is just so unfocused I can't even remember why you're doing anything in the game)," with the exception of Harle because she's playing you. Kid, on the other hand, isn't. She's just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

And that's kinda the point. I don't dislike it and I have fun when I fire it up once a decade, but the whole thing where you don't really know where you're going or why you're doing what you're doing gets in the way. I enjoy Chrono Cross the way I enjoy Gradius: it's fun to play, and that's enough for me to want to play it, but hosed if I have any idea what's going on. The fact that I can't even tell you what CC was about despite having beaten it more than once speaks volumes.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 6, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a lot more goal-oriented stuff in FF8 than you say. For the 1st disk, you're trying to kill Edea. Then your mission is still doing that, but shifts over to killing the endgame witch while having an important sub-goal of saving Rinoa. Squall, at least in english, is whatever all the time but there's always something to strive for or to specifically go.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think FFXII is an interesting element for this discussion. Setting aside everyone's complaint that it doesn't really have that deep a story despite appearances, Vaan really has no agency whatsoever, but anyone who plays the game more than a couple of hours realizes that it's not his story anyway. I kind of appreciated it as a storyline element, because yes you're getting drug around by the real protagonists and you kind of are just there as a parallel for the player, but you weren't the center of the story anyway, so it kind of makes sense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF12 is just Star Wars but there's some kids running around with Han Solo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As someone that watched star wars and FF12, I never got the comparison. Like, I truly don't get it why everyone calls it star wars.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

As someone that watched star wars and FF12, I never got the comparison. Like, I truly don't get it why everyone calls it star wars.

I agree. There are superficial similarities but the two stories are completely different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

FF12 is just Star Wars but there's some kids running around with Han Solo
C-3PO, R2-D2.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

As far as the player agency thing goes, I don't think lacking a clear end goal is necessary to a game, but I think it's harder to do well. A player character that who never knows what's going on and who's actions never seem to have much impact beyond leading him to the next set piece runs against the reason a lot of people play RPGs in the first place: to immerse themselves in a world where they're important and their choices seem to matter, as opposed to the real world where you're insignificant, nothing you do has any real impact on anything, and then you die alone and unloved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It has very similar themes and borrows shots almost shot-for-shot from Star Wars. It's pretty intentionally an homage in places. (And it isn't the first from S-E. Biggs and Wedge, after all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Well, Basch (Chewbacca) grunts disapprovingly at Vaan (Luke) a lot, so there's that :v: