Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thread title changed. I hope we can all get along now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Realy the best resolution to the whole Toph arc would be for one of her daughters/Opal to be in threatening situation only for a random wall of earth to save them. It then cuts to Toph sitting in the swamp saying "Idiot" or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

She was trying to do just that, in the first scene where her and Jr are testing the gun she tries pretty hard to have him stop fixing it and run so it would blow up. I figured the implication was that she was also the one who'd chipped that component and others in the past as intentional sabotage.

Also, while her actions didn't end up causing direct harm, her actions combined with that Bolin and the Beifongs did resulted in Kuvira suffering a humiliating setback in front of her assembled troops. Not as impressive as blowing them to hell maybe, but every little bit helps.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

MrAristocrates posted:

Using an anime reference to deflect accusations of being anime? That's some next level thread titling right there.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So was Zhu Li was going to Varrick herself and the assembled army? Her and Varrick seem like peas in a pod.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

Sell out

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Quixotic1 posted:

So was Zhu Li was going to Varrick herself and the assembled army? Her and Varrick seem like peas in a pod.

Varrick and Zhu Li have the best written romance in the entire franchise.

Yes I realize the horrible enormity of what I'm suggesting.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

My only problem I have with this episode is why didn't Toph wreck the superweapon? She was right there and is supposed to still be one of the best earthbenders and the best metalbender in the world!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Syndlig posted:

My only problem I have with this episode is why didn't Toph wreck the superweapon? She was right there and is supposed to still be one of the best earthbenders and the best metalbender in the world!

She didn't feel like it :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Syndlig posted:

Didn't you hear? Her back was killing her! :v:

Man, though, that kinda puts things into perspective. Jeong-Jeong, Pakku, Piandao, Bumi, and Iroh attacked Ba Sing Se by themselves and they all looked to be around Toph's age, except for Piandao.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tbh I was hoping that someone would hug Toph and crack her back and then she'd go 'Huh, suddenly I wanna smash some chumps.' for some reason.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Still, it's nice to know that it's not a meta thing and benders actually got weaker over the years. Toph iced all those mechs instantly in one move...

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

RareAcumen posted:

Tbh I was hoping that someone would hug Toph and crack her back and then she'd go 'Huh, suddenly I wanna smash some chumps.' for some reason.

In the finale, Kuvira will blast Toph into a boulder and a conveniently placed jagged rock will crack her back for her.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I'm still pretty sad we're never going to see one of the old gang go Supersaiyan on some chump villains.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
good episode, very good fight.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

Notice that she was hoping that the weapon would be abandoned and blown up that one time, so I guess that was her full plan, it just got messed up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

Still, it's nice to know that it's not a meta thing and benders actually got weaker over the years. Toph iced all those mechs instantly in one move...

Man, imagine what Bumi would've been like if ATLA took place forty years into the war instead of a hundred.

In It For The Tank posted:

In the finale, Kuvira will blast Toph into a boulder and a conveniently placed jagged rock will crack her back for her.

She'll also turn out to be freakishly ripped as well.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I posted this scene before, but again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSuHKi38PA

There is no question even child Toph would have completely demolished those mechs without any trouble.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Syndlig posted:

They're all metalbenders there. They'd just bend it back together.

I'm glad they refrained from just having the old crew show up and fix everything. The fanservice is overt enough as it is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Next episode clip.

Junior's not long for this world, I'm sure.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BrianWilly posted:

Next episode clip.

Are monsters capable of love?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kuvira's relationship with Baatu Jr. being genuine would do a lot to humanize her.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Episode was pretty good, but the "You give metal benders a bad name" was a dud both in reading and in writing. She's Avatar Hitler, is that the best they could've come up with?

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Next episode clip.

Man, it never really clicked with me that Kuvira's army has an adopted hairstyle. Its actually rather creepy and I don't think I'll be able to unsee it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Caros posted:

Man, it never really clicked with me that Kuvira's army has an adopted hairstyle. Its actually rather creepy and I don't think I'll be able to unsee it.
Also that their foot soldiers are wearing Stahlhelm helmets

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

achillesforever6 posted:

Also that their foot soldiers are wearing Stahlhelm helmets

as soon as I saw those helmets I was just like "ok, we get it, she's Hitler :rolleyes:" but I guess if you're gonna commit then you may as well go whole hog. It's not like Ozai was subtle either

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

Episode was pretty good, but the "You give metal benders a bad name" was a dud both in reading and in writing. She's Avatar Hitler, is that the best they could've come up with?
It's got a little more kick coming from the inventor of metal bending. it also reveals the insane depths of how ornery and misanthropic she's always been and how much she's just spitballing off the cuff whenever she gives advice; she's plenty happy to be a nihilist when it comes to whether the avatar or the police force she founded ever did any good, but all of a sudden there's a moral component to metal bending philosophy when she wants to insult someone. not that that's bad; the very cosmology of the LoK universe appears to be subject to the caprice of unprincipled and confused beings dwelling outside of it and such an attitude towards being there seems the most appropriate to take

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Maybe but it was also lame

I really wanted her to pull some Magneto poo poo and gravity squeeze the cannon but I guess her back was bothering her

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

No, it seems that her second attempt at sabotage was only meant to prevent the canon from working, not blow it up. She probably just wanted to humiliate Kuvira with that one.

Syndlig posted:

She didn't care, and apparently she believes that young people ought to resolve their own problems.

They really went through hoops to have that canon survive the encounter, didn't they? Toph didn't touch it for somewhat flimsy reasons, and Bolin, the guy who could have drowned it in lava, was off saving Zhu Li.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Realistically destroying the cannon would have only bought them some time.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

The Sharmat posted:

Kuvira's relationship with Baatu Jr. being genuine would do a lot to humanize her.
He's like if that guy in The Beach that Azula proposed to reacted by enthusiastically saying "YES!"

Man, that makes me wish that instead of "the original metalbender vs. Kuvira", we got some metal vs. lightning. Ah, well. Too late for that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The like the whole 'old martial arts master' when its used in this show to show how even when elderly benders are still extremely dangerous to mess with; even though they probably have less endurance than before.

Toph's mannerisms and body language, the way she pointed at Kuvira while looking away was dead on for what I remembered.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The best character moment in the episode was when Lin was ranting at Toph about not wanting to see her ever again, and the pain and disappointment of it actually visually showed on Toph's face. That was a really good scene.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

I'm guessing the further you bend something away from your body, the less control you have over it. So something that is directly on your body, like armor on a metalbender, they'd be able to bend quicker than a metalbender ten feet away trying to bend it. It'd probably be like, they'd feel a tingle of the other metalbender trying to bend their armor and they undo the bending with hardly a thought.

It's probably a terrible idea for non-metalbenders to wear metal armor though yeah.

I imagine relativity affects bending telekinesis as well.

DrSunshine posted:

The best character moment in the episode was when Lin was ranting at Toph about not wanting to see her ever again, and the pain and disappointment of it actually visually showed on Toph's face. That was a really good scene.

I felt that, I even said "Ow." out loud. The heavy breathing too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, indeed. I really felt sorry for Toph at that moment.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

TheModernAmerican posted:

Would this have been better?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I feel like this show is failing to make Kuvira scary as a personal threat by not letting her win anything, and it's kind of jarring.

Kuvira is allowed to beat up on nameless mooks to demonstrate her capabilities, but once a named, important character shows up she is no longer allowed to win.

People in the show keep acting like Kuvira beat Korra in their duel, but actually watching it, that's not what happened at all. Kuvira might have had a slight advantage before Korra went into the Avatar State, but once she did, Korra demolished her without any trouble. The only reason she lost was due to a freak out, and that had only happened after she had already very clearly beaten Kuvira. Trying to sell that as Korra losing is ridiculous because she only lost in the most absolutely technical of ways, and even that had nothing to do with Kuvira's own abilities.

Later Su goes to kill Kuvira. But rather then actually fighting Su, she just outsmarts her. While this is good because it shows she's smart, it doesn't represent her as an actual, personal threat like she's probably supposed to be. It makes her a good planner and schemer.

This episode, she finally gets into a fight with Su, but she doesn't win. Su and her are, roughly, evenly matched, maybe, because Su eventually retreats when it becomes clear that they're outnumbered. It still doesn't really show Kuvira as a threat, other then it's better she fought evenly with Su instead of Lin, whose been a chump for the majority of the series.

Then Toph shows up. And here is where an actual, good way to show how strong Kuvira is would be. Toph is old, and while clearly powerful, it would absolutely be reasonable for an old Earthbender who hasn't really been Earthbending to fight in a long time to lose to someone who has been, and it would make Kuvira seem like a threat because she beat one of the old heroes. It would help sell Toph's later statement that 'I'm too old for this', had she actually lost. Instead she shows up, chumps everyone, then goes 'eh I don't want to be bothered finishing the job.'

It kind of makes everyone in the scene look like poo poo, especially Kuvira. She's not even worth this awesomely powerful Earthbender and Metalbender's time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Miss Nomer posted:

Would this have been better?
That's amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like this show is failing to make Kuvira scary as a personal threat by not letting her win anything, and it's kind of jarring.

Kuvira is allowed to beat up on nameless mooks to demonstrate her capabilities, but once a named, important character shows up she is no longer allowed to win.

People in the show keep acting like Kuvira beat Korra in their duel, but actually watching it, that's not what happened at all. Kuvira might have had a slight advantage before Korra went into the Avatar State, but once she did, Korra demolished her without any trouble. The only reason she lost was due to a freak out, and that had only happened after she had already very clearly beaten Kuvira. Trying to sell that as Korra losing is ridiculous because she only lost in the most absolutely technical of ways, and even that had nothing to do with Kuvira's own abilities.

Later Su goes to kill Kuvira. But rather then actually fighting Su, she just outsmarts her. While this is good because it shows she's smart, it doesn't represent her as an actual, personal threat like she's probably supposed to be. It makes her a good planner and schemer.

This episode, she finally gets into a fight with Su, but she doesn't win. Su and her are, roughly, evenly matched, maybe, because Su eventually retreats when it becomes clear that they're outnumbered. It still doesn't really show Kuvira as a threat, other then it's better she fought evenly with Su instead of Lin, whose been a chump for the majority of the series.

Then Toph shows up. And here is where an actual, good way to show how strong Kuvira is would be. Toph is old, and while clearly powerful, it would absolutely be reasonable for an old Earthbender who hasn't really been Earthbending to fight in a long time to lose to someone who has been, and it would make Kuvira seem like a threat because she beat one of the old heroes. It would help sell Toph's later statement that 'I'm too old for this', had she actually lost. Instead she shows up, chumps everyone, then goes 'eh I don't want to be bothered finishing the job.'

It kind of makes everyone in the scene look like poo poo, especially Kuvira. She's not even worth this awesomely powerful Earthbender and Metalbender's time.

Ignoring the part where she's actually won every fight we've seen her in, do you think pure martial skill is the only thing that can make a kung fu villain threatening or something? She's a charismatic fascist. Those have a real world history of being incredibly dangerous people.

• Locked thread