Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torka posted:

I think that's just a random picture of a dork that someone shopped the stupid quote onto, not the actual person that said it

Yeah the original dork didn't own a Sonic shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What could a bible do that a stack of 20s couldn't?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Panzeh posted:

What could a bible do that a stack of 20s couldn't?

Be placed in a hotel nightstand without being stolen?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

My Spirit was moving within you, causing you to write this post. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't carefully consider your motivations as a fallible, human writer in interpreting my holy commission.

We're not so different, you and I. Two sides of the same coin, like Jesus and Satan. Holmes and Moriarty. Spock and Evil-Alternate-Universe-Goatee-Spock. Aquaman and BP.

Obviously you're the evil one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Protagonist posted:

Anyway you're literally incapable of realizing how precious life is if you believe the followup is just infinity more of it, in paradise.

I'm sorry but it's true.

Truly, the only way to comprehend the full magnitude of life's value is to recognize the holy implications of offering it up to Khorne in sacrifice. Each life is unique, it exists only for a short time. Once gone, it is gone forever, and so it must be culled in its fullness and offered up to the Blood God. Even after, when it has wasted and withered, better that inevitable death satiate the Destroyer than allow the infinitesimal ingresses of disease or time to sully His claim. Better not to allow the glory of expanding His domain slip through your fragile fingers.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Truly, the only way to comprehend the full magnitude of life's value is to recognize the holy implications of offering it up to Khorne in sacrifice. Each life is unique, it exists only for a short time. Once gone, it is gone forever, and so it must be culled in its fullness and offered up to the Blood God. Even after, when it has wasted and withered, better that inevitable death satiate the Destroyer than allow the infinitesimal ingresses of disease or time to sully His claim. Better not to allow the glory of expanding His domain slip through your fragile fingers.

OK I've allowed the only serious theological element of this whole thread to slide this far but really? We all know the Blood God does not care who's blood flows, so long as it flows. His followers make literally no difference to him than anyone else, so long as all die violently. Better to worship a half-dead man stuffed in a golden chair, I say. That way, at least you get some infinitesimal benefit out it, other than freakish mutations of course.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Muscle Tracer posted:

Might as well go out throwing some dick around while doing drugs to make Slaanesh happy. Two for the price of one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

OK I've allowed the only serious theological element of this whole thread to slide this far but really? We all know the Blood God does not care who's blood flows, so long as it flows. His followers make literally no difference to him than anyone else, so long as all die violently. Better to worship a half-dead man stuffed in a golden chair, I say. That way, at least you get some infinitesimal benefit out it, other than freakish mutations of course.

But such is the great glory of Khorne: merely by existing, you fulfill His plan. The golden man requires worship, the whore-pretender requires festivals of debauchery. The Great Tormentor requires only that which is freely given by all living things, that which their own blood compels of them. He requires nothing. But what do you require?

This is what you must ask yourself: would you rather drown trying futilely to swim upstream, beseeching the unfeeling and helpless sun for guidance? Or would you rather give in, surrender yourself to the river, and, in doing so, weld yourself (however minutely!) to the path, plan, and destiny of that which you cannot stop?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

But such is the great glory of Khorne: merely by existing, you fulfill His plan. The golden man requires worship, the whore-pretender requires festivals of debauchery. The Great Tormentor requires only that which is freely given by all living things, that which their own blood compels of them. He requires nothing. But what do you require?

This is what you must ask yourself: would you rather drown trying futilely to swim upstream, beseeching the unfeeling and helpless sun for guidance? Or would you rather give in, surrender yourself to the river, and, in doing so, weld yourself (however minutely!) to the path, plan, and destiny of that which you cannot stop?

Hahaha, tell me more about destiny and how your idiot retard gods' plans came to their ultimate fruition when that retard warmaster you corrupted totally won and triumphed over his enemies oh wait that's right, Horus flopped like the utter chump he was and the rest of you drooling, mutated feebs ran your sorry asses back to the Eye of Terror, screaming all the way. I'd almost feel bad for you, if your future wasn't slated for squirming in the cleansing power of the Emperor's holy atomic fire.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hahaha, tell me more about destiny and how your idiot retard gods' plans came to their ultimate fruition when that retard warmaster you corrupted totally won and triumphed over his enemies oh wait that's right, Horus flopped like the utter chump he was and the rest of you drooling, mutated feebs ran your sorry asses back to the Eye of Terror, screaming all the way. I'd almost feel bad for you, if your future wasn't slated for squirming in the cleansing power of the Emperor's holy atomic fire.

Khorne thirsts for "cleansing," and you follow passionately in his footsteps. Welcome to the fold, Brother.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
The amount of religious nutjobs in this thread over the course of 1700 new posts in 6 days since I last checked has inspired me to go pick up a copy of God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

Khorne thirsts for "cleansing," and you follow passionately in his footsteps. Welcome to the fold, Brother.

Nah, not really.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not a truth though, is the thing. Unless you're literally as stupid as you sound you should understand this.

I'll note you didn't provide any evidence for your claim except that you thought it "sounded simple".

It's completely intuitive if you give it a moment of thought you stupid poo poo nugget.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Protagonist posted:

It's completely intuitive if you give it a moment of thought you stupid poo poo nugget.

And libertarians think that their philosophy is completely intuitive if you give it a moment of thought, and we all know how that works out, so you're still going to have to provide some evidence of your position. Otherwise all you're doing is asserting that something is true based on literally nothing. I mean granted, that's what Kyrie is doing too so it'd be in the spirit of the thread but I would hope you're better than him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Muscle Tracer posted:

But this is a process of change, of mutation. Blood spills to Khorne but that which spills it evolves, changes, because it seeks to shed the other bastard's Blood instead of itself. While I wouldn't deny Khorne, how can you not reconcile this with the struggle leading inevitably to Tzeentch?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Twelve by Pies posted:

And libertarians think that their philosophy is completely intuitive if you give it a moment of thought, and we all know how that works out, so you're still going to have to provide some evidence of your position. Otherwise all you're doing is asserting that something is true based on literally nothing. I mean granted, that's what Kyrie is doing too so it'd be in the spirit of the thread but I would hope you're better than him.

Blehhh okay it seems really unnecessary but here I'll lay it out:

If you truly believe that the existence you will experience is not finite, that is you will die and then get handed a whole new body and consciousness to exist forever, then it turns this life into a dress rehearsal. A sideshow bagatelle.

To say or think there is no difference in the perspective of one who seriously considers the possibility that their lifetime is woefully finite, and one who thinks there is no end, is willfully ignorant.

There, I hope this cleared some things up. Also I'm sorry I called you a poo poo nugget NK, I'm really drunk.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

J.A.B.C. posted:

Holy poo poo that went downhill fast.

Okay, let me start with this: people find wonder in tons of different places. Some, like myself, find it in the vast, beautiful, does-not-give-a-poo poo universe that we have the chance of being in. Others find it in the glory of creation and the world of the divine. Both of these are fine, as where you find beauty means not a drat thing to people until it begins to involve their lives. And no one on this thread has reached that point.

That being said, your view of the universe makes no sense to me, as I think the idea of the divine word of any creator that gets telephoned through millenia of re-writes cannot claim to be divine. I assume that my view of the universe doesn't make sense to you, as your understanding of the world comes through the lens of creation. I assume, because I don't know and putting words in your mouth is rude.

Next: Personally, the faithless I've met have been generally relaxed, low key people who only get worked up when faith starts to encroach on the beliefs of others. I know this is personal experience, so it means close to nothing. Also, I am discounting the contrarian dickbags at r/atheism. Once again, pointless.

Though this has brought up an interesting idea: what do you think you know about my position? Because I'd like to learn what you think of yours. I am being sincere; learning about faith from the eyes of faith helps me fine tune my own beliefs or lack thereof.

First, you assume incorrectly. Your view of the universe makes perfect sense to me, I just don't agree with it. Mind you, if there's one goddamn thing I have been arguing over and over again though it's that no one is going to be objectively right about all of this so disagreement is an absurd thing to get upset over.

I believe God made the world and everything in it, yes, but not in that God literally (in the old, still-having-meaning sense) made the world over the course of a week to be ancient and filled with dinosaur bones as a laugh. Creating... creation, does seem like the sort of thing that is so beyond human understanding that it seems impossible for me to believe the story of creation was anything other than Babby's First Metaphor.

I could be wrong though, because I do believe God might have a very weird sense of humor.

(I also find it quite possible someone hosed with the story of creation a bit. Specifically, did you know the basic genetic blueprint for a human being is default, female? Did Adam give his rib to make Eve or did Eve give her rib to make Adam then? Could insecure men have swapped the genders of Adam and Eve to try and dodge guilt over original sin and take the assumed prestige of being 'firstborn'?)

As for the faithless people who have been generally relaxed and low key but prone to getting worked up when their faith or that of their peers is threatened... Well, that's most people in general really. Being Faithful or Faithless only changes what faiths you're getting upset over and your motives as to why.

I suspect a Good Christian would presumably be motivated by a fear for the eternal well-being of other's souls. A Bad... Anyone really would at least seem to motivated by hatred of those people who believe Wrong and/or their own vanity in being Right.

And of course there are those who would be motivated by a desire to protect the right to believe what you like, which regardless of their faith I would certainly agree with this point in principle. That would not seem to be the case here however.

As for your point of view on Faith, or the lack thereof, I try not to assume too much. I don't always succeed. I do most sincerely appreciate you not putting words in my mouth, because that happens too damned often around here.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 6, 2014

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Anyone who still believes in the sanctity of scriptures written in an era 2000 years ago where people believed it was God who caused weather storms, diseases, etc. to be true in the digital age of 2014 is nothing short of retarded. Grow up.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The Warhammer derail is the best part of this thread, and I move that it be made the thread's new official purpose. I will also accept arguments over which historical general was Khorne's greatest prophet.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Technogeek posted:

The Warhammer derail is the best part of this thread, and I move that it be made the thread's new official purpose. I will also accept arguments over which historical general was Khorne's greatest prophet.

Seconded.

Also I vote for Genghis Khan.

No, gently caress that. This is Khorne we're talking about. Weaklings like Tzeentch vote. Khan is the greatest servant of the Blood God Khorne and I will violently disembowel anyone who says otherwise. :black101:

:edit: Edited because I can't read.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Snark posted:

First, you assume incorrectly. Your view of the universe makes perfect sense to me, I just don't agree with it. Mind you, if there's one goddamn thing I have been arguing over and over again though it's that no one is going to be objectively right about all of this so disagreement is an absurd thing to get upset over.

I believe God made the world and everything in it, yes, but not in that God literally (in the old, still-having-meaning sense) made the world over the course of a week to be ancient and filled with dinosaur bones as a laugh. Creating... creation, does seem like the sort of thing that is so beyond human understanding that it seems impossible for me to believe the story of creation was anything other than Babby's First Metaphor.

My fault on that. By creation, I meant the idea that the universe was brought into existence by a divine being, not just the six-day creation and one day of rest that a lot of people know about. I was trying to be inclusive to the ideas of other religions.

But then this brings up one of my issues with the idea of religion and a creator deity. Which one is right? Some of the creation stories have very similar veins, but others are too different to reconcile. And if one takes the idea that all of them are somehow linked together, then it throws into question why religions are divided in the first place. If the messengers of his actions can't get their stories straight, it deals a blow to credibility.

It goes back to the geographic grab-bag issue with religion, where people who are in no position to know Christianity get a raw deal.

The Snark posted:

I could be wrong though, because I do believe God might have a very weird sense of humor.

(I also find it quite possible someone hosed with the story of creation a bit. Specifically, did you know the basic genetic blueprint for a human being is default, female? Did Adam give his rib to make Eve or did Eve give her rib to make Adam then? Could insecure men have swapped the genders of Adam and Eve to try and dodge guilt over original sin and take the assumed prestige of being 'firstborn'?)

This is another issue I have with the idea of holy writ, and one I've struggled with a lot. Copy Editing.

The Holy Bible as we know it is on it's nth revision, after centuries of existence, interpretation and editing. Even without the idea of people outright changing the word to suit their own needs and using it to justify their actions, that's hundreds of years of linguistic, cultural and personal reference placed on that document. It is going to change, because the people updating it change.

This isn't compatible with the idea of the Bible as a holy text, as it's revision immediately takes it steps away from the original. And unless God has been the one looking over the edits, then we lose the original message that he brought down. It becomes less and less 'divine' with each edit, each part added or subtracted, as it becomes further molded by the hand of man, which is stated to be flawed.

Once that is conceded, then why see it as divine anymore? Who can tell what has been edited, what hasn't, what is divine writ and what is useful (for the time) advice? What weight does one passage have over the other?

The Snark posted:

As for the faithless people who have been generally relaxed and low key but prone to getting worked up when their faith or that of their peers is threatened... Well, that's most people in general really. Being Faithful or Faithless only changes what faiths you're getting upset over and your motives as to why.

If I may:

The Snark posted:

Yeah, that's why you're all such happy upbeat people. (Some of you are, though, and good on you. Far from all however. Far indeed.)

The Snark posted:

I suspect a Good Christian would presumably be motivated by a fear for the eternal well-being of other's souls. A Bad... Anyone really would at least seem to motivated by hatred of those people who believe Wrong and/or their own vanity in being Right.

And of course there are those who would be motivated by a desire to protect the right to believe what you like, which regardless of their faith I would certainly agree with this point in principle. That would not seem to be the case here however.

As for your point of view on Faith, or the lack thereof, I try not to assume too much. I don't always succeed. I do most sincerely appreciate you not putting words in my mouth, because that happens too damned often around here.

I have no problems with this stuff. Faith is a personal experience, and it's no person's business to try to force that personal issue onto others. Your (in a general sense, not you specifically) spreading of the good word is acceptable, as long as my denial of it can be acceptable as well. I'm glad we agree on that.

One last thing:

Travic posted:

No, gently caress that. This is Khorne we're talking about. Weaklings like Tzeentch vote. Khan is the greatest servant of the Blood God Khorne and I will violently disembowel anyone who says otherwise. :black101:

How quaint you are, thinking your violent head-long rush into the jaws of doom wasn't already forseen by the Master of Fortune. Keep going. It amuses us.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Whole lotta heretical servants of the dark powers in this thread gonna be wicked let down when, instead of glory or immortality, they instead end up a gibbering pile of mutated limbs and mouths.

We totally should have done this from the start of the thread.
Thought for the Day: Kyrie's mind is like a mighty fortress with the gates unbarred, only less a fortress and more a dilapidated mobile home with a busted screen door.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

J.A.B.C. posted:

My fault on that. By creation, I meant the idea that the universe was brought into existence by a divine being, not just the six-day creation and one day of rest that a lot of people know about. I was trying to be inclusive to the ideas of other religions.

But then this brings up one of my issues with the idea of religion and a creator deity. Which one is right? Some of the creation stories have very similar veins, but others are too different to reconcile. And if one takes the idea that all of them are somehow linked together, then it throws into question why religions are divided in the first place. If the messengers of his actions can't get their stories straight, it deals a blow to credibility.

It goes back to the geographic grab-bag issue with religion, where people who are in no position to know Christianity get a raw deal.

This is another issue I have with the idea of holy writ, and one I've struggled with a lot. Copy Editing.

The Holy Bible as we know it is on it's nth revision, after centuries of existence, interpretation and editing. Even without the idea of people outright changing the word to suit their own needs and using it to justify their actions, that's hundreds of years of linguistic, cultural and personal reference placed on that document. It is going to change, because the people updating it change.

This isn't compatible with the idea of the Bible as a holy text, as it's revision immediately takes it steps away from the original. And unless God has been the one looking over the edits, then we lose the original message that he brought down. It becomes less and less 'divine' with each edit, each part added or subtracted, as it becomes further molded by the hand of man, which is stated to be flawed.

Once that is conceded, then why see it as divine anymore? Who can tell what has been edited, what hasn't, what is divine writ and what is useful (for the time) advice? What weight does one passage have over the other?

A very good question that I am not sure I have the answer to. I think it is possible that even tainted in parts by the fallibility of Man there could still easily be divinity in it- which perhaps only becomes more apparent with scientific discovery. For example with that whole the 'female form being the basic human form' thing which makes a lot more sense if Eve was in fact the first.

And while such a distinction may have been supremely important to Man- and men specifically- to the point they felt compelled to change it... Perhaps God doesn't care about that detail so much. In the big picture, we're all just humans after all.

It doesn't seem impossible that The Word, the message that God really wants to get across, is still there.

As for which one is right... Who can say for certain? I continue to believe it's Christianity though. As for why religions have divided over time... Power struggles, people claiming to be more right than others cutting free of the 'damned' or maybe even just cynically trying to hijack divine authority to their own ends. Human flaws and fallibility.

Or hey, maybe one of them WAS right and they 'totally got the true and honest right version of the Bible from God directly' and it did conveniently put them in sole divine authority over their peers for all time. I don't believe it though. I am not of the opinion any mortal can be trusted to speak with divine authority.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 6, 2014

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Whole lotta heretical servants of the dark powers in this thread gonna be wicked let down when, instead of glory or immortality, they instead end up a gibbering pile of mutated limbs and mouths.

Thought for the Day: Kyrie's mind is like a mighty fortress with the gates unbarred, only less a fortress and more a dilapidated mobile home with a busted screen door.

The fate of the faithful is that which they are most deserving of. The weak, the feeble, the incapable - The Warp gives them purpose that they previously had not through the gifts of Our Lord, Grandfather Nurgle.

But those already on their own path, with passion and ambition? They are Chosen. Blessed. Blessed with dominion of the unseen world & it's billions upon billions of inhabitants, finally come to live in harmony with His children whom the unbelievers & heretics only see as blights.

Come, Brother. Eat from the fruit of Grandfather Nurgle. Host his children and embrace their bond.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You worshippers of the Four Great Gods of the Warp are no less foolish than those that worship Him on Earth. The true power of the Warp is not death, it is not blood, it is not excess, nor is it change. The true power is itself brought to bear against itself. The one true power of the Empyrean is Malal and soon he shall rise up against all the lesser gods, using their own power against them. All of the Immaterium will become a frothing sea of violence and self-mutilation as it rips itself, and all other things both real and not, apart until there is nothing left.

Embrace oblivion.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Snark posted:

A very good question that I am not sure I have the answer to. I think it is possible that even tainted in parts by the fallibility of Man there could still easily be divinity in it- which perhaps only becomes more apparent with scientific discovery. For example with that whole the 'female form being the basic human form' thing which makes a lot more sense if Eve was in fact the first.

And while such a distinction may have been supremely important to Man- and men specifically- to the point they felt compelled to change it... Perhaps God doesn't care about that detail so much. In the big picture, we're all just humans after all.

It doesn't seem impossible that The Word, the message that God really wants to get across, is still there.

As for which one is right... Who can say for certain? I continue to believe it's Christianity though. As for why religions have divided over time... Power struggles, people claiming to be more right than others cutting free of the 'damned' or maybe even just cynically trying to hijack divine authority to their own ends. Human flaws and fallibility.

Or hey, maybe one of them WAS right and they 'totally got the true and honest right version of the Bible from God directly' and it did conveniently put them in sole divine authority over their peers for all time. I don't believe it though. I am not of the opinion any mortal can be trusted to speak with divine authority.

I agree. :) I like to think that the original meaning was to be a nice person and care for others and people hosed it up. There's no way to be certain though and that's the slippery slope. We have to be very careful.

Pitiful Weaklings posted:

Talk
Khorne tires of this incessant boasting. While other weak, pitiful gods wax and wane over the course of the eons Khorne remains strong and invincible through constant warfare. Let us settle this in glorious bloodshed! Skulls for the Skull Throne! The Bloodthirsters will feast on your remains.

This is the best de-rail I've seen on the forums

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

But this is a process of change, of mutation. Blood spills to Khorne but that which spills it evolves, changes, because it seeks to shed the other bastard's Blood instead of itself. While I wouldn't deny Khorne, how can you not reconcile this with the struggle leading inevitably to Tzeentch?

Khorne is not jealous. He has no need to be: He is inevitable. And he has no interest in denying the obvious, or quibbling over the irrelevant. That's why Khorne doesn't post in D&D.

Others struggle for affirmation in a universe that spurns them. Khorne—the will to kill, the will to spill—is inborn in all things.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Muscle Tracer posted:

Khorne is not jealous. He has no need to be: He is inevitable. And he has no interest in denying the obvious, or quibbling over the irrelevant. That's why Khorne doesn't post in D&D.

Others struggle for affirmation in a universe that spurns them. Khorne—the will to kill, the will to spill—is inborn in all things.

Will requires futile & pathetic exertions. Atrophy is the fundamental state of the universe.

Will the infirmed reach out to fulfill their bloodlust? No. But they will decay.

Grandfather Nurgle embraces all into his community; the only test required is that of time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Ender posted:

Will requires futile & pathetic exertions. Atrophy is the fundamental state of the universe.

Will the infirmed reach out to fulfill their bloodlust? No. But they will decay.

Grandfather Nurgle embraces all into his community; the only test required is that of time.

Correct: the sickling is weak, powerless, incapable of positive action, a parasite in truth and in metaphor. A creature of boredom and irrelevance. It may have these attributes if that is what it truly wishes, and those who admire it may do so if they, too, are so pathetic. But those who are interested, not in the nature of the universe, but of their own nature, will turn irrevocably towards Khorne. The impulse to decay is from without: the impulse to kill is from within.

The sickling can be resisted, its effects combatted. Idiots in white frocks, boxes that are cold inside: these are the sorts of things against which this self-styled God is powerless. But how can Khorne be resisted, except by following Him (in action if not spirit)? To sit down and die is unnatural, an impulse present only in the defective, and Khorne does not mind that they do so, for the fit still survive and breed and kill.

And how do the infirmed die? By war in their very Blood.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gentlemen, gentlemen; while all heretics must of course be purged there is nevertheless some common ground here. I think there's one point that we all, whether 100% correct followers of the Emperor like myself or diseased idiot worshipers of the tainted powers, can agree on: Skulls are bitchin'.

Thought for the day: Ask not, "why purge the Xeno," rather ask, "why not?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Who are you to say that this is not the inevitable and desirable outcome of life, the true and holy blessing of a greater power? Did not the shadow that Kyrie worship appear in the forms of wheels and eyes, creatures who had to introduce themselves with "Be not afraid"?

Technogeek posted:

I would say that in terms of the greatest effect, we would have to go with Hernan Cortes, although we must admit that Nurgle provided a powerful assist here, and that the Aztecs were giving great honor to Khorne. So perhaps Cortes should be seen as Nurgle's.

Which means we kind of have to go with Genghis or perhaps Subutai. Ol' Adolf did kill a lot, but I would hardly say he shed blood; Stalin did more of that for him. But does Khorne honor proportion, like the widow's mite, or is he concerned solely with quantity?

Muscle Memory, how do you reconcile Khorne's rage at psykers with the obvious ability of a psyker to spill blood with great efficiency? This has been a major stumbling block for me, as several of my family members are psykers - do their kills honor Khorne too?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Muscle Tracer posted:

Correct: the sickling is weak, powerless, incapable of positive action, a parasite in truth and in metaphor. A creature of boredom and irrelevance. It may have these attributes if that is what it truly wishes, and those who admire it may do so if they, too, are so pathetic. But those who are interested, not in the nature of the universe, but of their own nature, will turn irrevocably towards Khorne. The impulse to decay is from without: the impulse to kill is from within.

The sickling can be resisted, its effects combatted. Idiots in white frocks, boxes that are cold inside: these are the sorts of things against which this self-styled God is powerless. But how can Khorne be resisted, except by following Him (in action if not spirit)? To sit down and die is unnatural, an impulse present only in the defective, and Khorne does not mind that they do so, for the fit still survive and breed and kill.

And how do the infirmed die? By war in their very Blood.

Good, good. Your petty infighting pleases and strengthens Lord Malal.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Nessus posted:

Muscle Memory, how do you reconcile Khorne's rage at psykers with the obvious ability of a psyker to spill blood with great efficiency? This has been a major stumbling block for me, as several of my family members are psykers - do their kills honor Khorne too?

Khorne does not applaud filthy psykers who kill from their chairs. Where is the violence? Where is the glee and tactile enjoyment of chopping a loyalist in half with a chain axe?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There is only one thing that matters and it is Sonic the Hedgehog

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

Incorrect. There are very few, if any, skulls in Sonic the Hedgehog.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ferrinus posted:

Only original SEGA. Praise the holy Game Gear and Genesis

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Protagonist posted:

So like I said, your theory's basis is exactly as sound as evangelical Christian Prosperity Gospel, fedoraman.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Nintendo Kid just may be more retarded to Kyrie. But I'm scared to pass that torch too quickly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Nintendo Kid just may be more retarded to Kyrie. But I'm scared to pass that torch too quickly.

The rumor is....

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Kyrie, to get this thread back on some semblance of being on track:

What was it, specifically, that turned you away from your belief initially? What was it, specifically, that brought you back?

When you were an atheist, did you really think there was no God, or were you just denying Him (suppressing the truth) because you were angry with Christianity or something?

I don't think you meant anything by it, but this question is personal. I can't properly explain it without delving into the details of my life. But, I will try to share a more abstract form.

I lost faith because, like every other atheist, I became convinced it was a bunch of nonsense and that I'd been duped.

I regained my faith, many years later, because I found life as an atheist spiritually unfulfilling.

• Locked thread