Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

With a handful of exceptions anything you don't fuse is going to be hopelessly obsolete a couple dungeons after you get it. Keep on moving up in the demon world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah if your demon doesn't evolve just fuse them once they run out of moves to learn.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Its never too early to fuse poo poo. Hell, even fuse that one pixie you know the one, just don't release whatever you turn it into.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, make it a priority to hold on to that one pixie/whatever you fuse it into. Other than that treat demons as expendable. This isn't pokemon where you teach them and they teach you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

oblomov posted:

Agree. Xenogears is pretty darn good. It does help to be familiar with "anime" though. If you want 10th grade Goth writing, there is always Xenosaga (I liked the series, sue me).

It's the same writing as Xenogears. It even has several improved bits, like a party that stays relevant through all three games instead of fading into obscurity one arc in.

The music is also a recent rival for Xenogears which is quite a feat.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Xenosaga's music is barely present, and forgettable when it is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You're thinking only of Xenosaga 1 and I hesitate to say anything scored by Mitsuda with the backing of the London Philharmonic as "forgettable."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2pKh5KiCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOTigXovXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaaUVSZP3Qk

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
XS1 has a great soundtrack that is utilized horribly. There's, what, one dungeon that actually has music? And two different kinds of battle music, one for the last boss and one for literally everything else.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

You're thinking only of Xenosaga 1 and I hesitate to say anything scored by Mitsuda with the backing of the London Philharmonic as "forgettable."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2pKh5KiCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaOTigXovXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaaUVSZP3Qk

Yeah, I remember how exciting it was that he was using the London Philharmonic. Then it sucked! That was wild.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I often have to remind myself that Xenosaga I actually had a fantastic soundtrack, because whenever I think about the music this is always the first thing I think of.

http://youtu.be/jdSSxxnIjzE

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I often have to remind myself that Xenosaga I actually had a fantastic soundtrack, because whenever I think about the music this is always the first thing I think of.

http://youtu.be/jdSSxxnIjzE

This is all I think of when I think back to Xenosaga I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyYM1ks_V7U

It's what you'll hear 95% of the time actually spent playing the game. It's torturous.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Torturous is how I would describe the second game in that garbage trilogy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think the first two Xenosaga games are about as bad as each other really. II made a lot of improvements, but also made a lot of dumb mistakes that episode I didn't make. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the only worthwhile game in that trilogy was the third game.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

hubris.height posted:

I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe… harem protaganists on fire off the shoulder of tenchi muyo. I watched nose bleeds gush in the dark near the chobits superstore. All those… tsunderes… will be lost in time, like [small cough] moes… in… anime. Time… to die…

Somewhat off topic but did you know that Rutger Hauer ad libbed that scene?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Vrikkian posted:

Somewhat off topic but did you know that Rutger Hauer ad libbed that scene?

yes but i only found out recently

that movie is so god drat good and its a lot of it that is memorable was done by coincidence and accident

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still can't understand why anyone would give a poo poo about Xenosaga Episode III if they didn't like Episode I or II. III is entirely dependent on the first two games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I liked them enough at the time. Opinions change as you get older though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't understand why anyone would give a poo poo about Xenosaga Episode III if they didn't like Episode I or II. III is entirely dependent on the first two games.

I enjoyed EpI, hated and didn't even finish EpII, and I loved EpIII. I was bummed out that III was the last one, because they finally hit on good gameplay for both on-foot and mech. Especially with how absurd the scale of numbers got with E.S. battles :allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

I enjoyed EpI, hated and didn't even finish EpII, and I loved EpIII. I was bummed out that III was the last one, because they finally hit on good gameplay for both on-foot and mech. Especially with how absurd the scale of numbers got with E.S. battles :allears:

I agree with all of this. I'm not sure which I prefer between EP1 and 3 but there is no questioning that EP3 easily had the best mech battle system in any Xeno game. AGWS and EP2 ESes both sucked and even Gear battles grew tedious after a while. But EP3 ES battles were always awesome.

My only complaint about EP3 normal gameplay was that it was a bit too generic and fast-paced. I get what they were going for seeing as EP1 and 2 had such slow, dragging battle systems by comparison but I think 3 went a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Of course there is no doubt that EP3 was possibly my most anticipated game ever and it fully lived up to my hopes and expectations. While I've grown more critical of it since 2007, I still love it.

I am now lamenting the fact that I presently own absolutely no Xeno game at all when at one point I owned all of them.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Sui
Ko
Den
Two
On Vita

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Going to play the lightning returns demo now

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Sui
Ko
Den
Two
On Vita

Yeap, finally it's getting released. Instead, who is hyped for FFVII on PS4? that was priceless, Square, priceless.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Actually, the real question is did they bother to fix Suikoden 2 or are they just upping the ISO of the broken NTSC version?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RadicalR posted:

Actually, the real question is did they bother to fix Suikoden 2 or are they just upping the ISO of the broken NTSC version?

Could just be the PAL version with an unlocked framerate. That fixed many of the problems of the NTSC version I believe.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

oblomov posted:

Yeap, finally it's getting released. Instead, who is hyped for FFVII on PS4? that was priceless, Square, priceless.

That was some bullshit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lightning's return is hilarious

it's like these outfits are designed by retarded children

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yoshitaka amano is a retarded child?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
i never played any of the releases of FFXIII or FFXIII-II and honestly i feel like a superior human being compared to people who did

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Endorph posted:

yoshitaka amano is a retarded child?

I'd imagine Amano's outfits look better when not attempting to be recreated using garish colors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dude789 posted:

I'd imagine Amano's outfits look better when not attempting to be recreated using garish colors.

this is supposed to be kain's outfit

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I thought Tetsuya Nomura was the character designer on the recent Final Fantasy games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

I thought Tetsuya Nomura was the character designer on the recent Final Fantasy games.
he is but that outfit was based on one of amano's designs

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

this is supposed to be kain's outfit
Do you have a higher quality screenshot? The green stuff looks like a rendering error in that one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

Do you have a higher quality screenshot? The green stuff looks like a rendering error in that one.

that's the quality that the ingame screenshot function uses, because square enix are bastards :shrug:

e: here's someone's screencap

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... What? Why does it shrink the thing and...

Anyway, I guess it was an error since that shot doesn't have any neon green in it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

... What? Why does it shrink the thing and...

Anyway, I guess it was an error since that shot doesn't have any neon green in it.

no, this guy just didn't pick the green cape is all. you can change all the outfits' colors if you want, and also there are hats to collect as well because it's an entire game based around the director's desire to play dressup with his beautiful waifu

the combat in the demo owned though so i'm gonna buy it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I swear Lightning Returns was just an excuse to design as many possible sets of clothing as possible and find a way to shove them into a game. There's such an incredible range of costumes that range from standard faire to fuckin' crazy anime armor madness. The combat system is neat, and it's interesting seeing a pseudo-open world FF game, even if only in name.

Oh, I found a brief montage of Xenogears and Evangelion comparison shots...thought I had seen it elsewhere, but the only one I could find was buried in an AMV thing:

http://youtu.be/JUgh05RPfwU?t=2m9s

Lasts only about thirty seconds or so.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

plenty, only ff/square goes all out with the eclectic designs for the most part

really i dont get the obsession over looking practical. interesting/distinct and not really dumb is all i really care about

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

Resonance of Fate.