Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

And the swastika was created by people in India hundreds of years ago. It's totally not a Nazi symbol.

Terms and symbols can evolve over time to take on new meanings! :eng101:

This is kind of a weird derail but I'm actually curious if CK2 has had any problems in Germany because of the Swastikas in a lot of the Indian flags. The usage would be historically accurate and obviously be very different than Nazi iconography but Germany has pretty strict laws about that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of a weird derail but I'm actually curious if CK2 has had any problems in Germany because of the Swastikas in a lot of the Indian flags. The usage would be historically accurate and obviously be very different than Nazi iconography but Germany has pretty strict laws about that sort of thing.

No. We're anal, but not that insanely anal. The law does explicitly refer to Nazi iconography, not just the swastika in general. Basically, if the historical Indian swastikas were made with straight lines and angled like the Nazi swastika, you might have a problem on your hands, and even then it's kind of a very tenuous idea given the obvious different context (I think this might fall under the same umbrella as the whole "you can legally show a swastika if it's crossed out" thing - and yes, they actually had to take somebody to court over having a sticker of a crossed out swastika on his backpack before they thought to make an anti-clause).

Basically, CK is in the clear, HOI not.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Riso posted:

That's right.
The label was created by a Frenchman comparing the state of the world to the pre-revolutionary Estates of France.

First Estate: Nobles
Second Estate: Clergy
Third Estate: Everyone else

It is not imperialist.

Us white folk are the nobles and the clergymen, all those drat Indians and Arabs and Africans and South Americans and South-East Asians and everybody else on the planet who isn't white? They are the peasants.

Totally not imperialist or racist, trust me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Here are a few screenshots! (pretend it's not 1999 :blush:)

This looks awesome, kind of reminds me of Twilight Struggle. Is it more than 2-player or can you only play as the USSR/USA?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Us white folk are the nobles and the clergymen, all those drat Indians and Arabs and Africans and South Americans and South-East Asians and everybody else on the planet who isn't white? They are the peasants.

How are you this dense? I don't know who that 'Frenchman' was, but he was almost certainly comparing the developed world to the parasitic upper classes of the Ancien Régime who exploited the common people (i.e. the oppressed masses of the Third World).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone know off hand if the naval force limits shenanigans of Victoria II can be modded out or adjusted in a no-nonsense fashion? My EUIV conversion game is converting in a couple of weeks and I think we're almost in a universal agreement that its dumb.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Sampatrick posted:

This is why you use the term, "developing countries." Also your entire argument of there being such a thing as social progress, and placing infrastructural development as a key marking of how developed a country is, is patronizing on the one hand, and imperialist garbage on the other hand. Like I'm not trying to say that poo poo is good for Afghanis and Somlians, but there is no objective metric for determining how developed a country is, so just say developing countries so you can avoid the unfortunate racist/imperialist implications from the term third world.

By using the term "developing countries" you are still using western countries as an objective metric for comparison, so it's not really any different.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

How are you this dense? I don't know who that 'Frenchman' was, but he was almost certainly comparing the developed world to the parasitic upper classes of the Ancien Régime who exploited the common people (i.e. the oppressed masses of the Third World).

Yeah, no that's not how these things work. The Frenchman can want that to be the interpretation for what he said, but it really isn't what he's saying. When you classify the world into three different worlds, with two of these being the grand and wonderful nobility[the clergy were de facto nobility], and then the last being the unwashed masses, the implication isn't that the first two are parasites, the implication is that the first two are better and/or more important than the rest of the world.

Smoremaster posted:

By using the term "developing countries" you are still using western countries as an objective metric for comparison, so it's not really any different.

Yes, and that is still a bad thing, but the comparison has much less of a biased view. Basically, developing country sounds a lot nicer than third world, and happens to have a lot less unfortunate implications.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smoremaster posted:

Inventing better euphemisms isn't going to make them any less poor.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Inventing better euphemisms isn't going to make them any less poor.

It actually can, if you change it from an Us versus Them point of view [First World vs Second World vs Third World], and instead just paint the world according to how developed a country is, you make the world seem much more integrated and make people more likely to care about other people in those countries.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Well the terms were originally based on political alignment, but maybe third world sounded too much like third-rate :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah, no that's not how these things work. The Frenchman can want that to be the interpretation for what he said, but it really isn't what he's saying. When you classify the world into three different worlds, with two of these being the grand and wonderful nobility[the clergy were de facto nobility], and then the last being the unwashed masses, the implication isn't that the first two are parasites, the implication is that the first two are better and/or more important than the rest of the world.

But the implication is that the first two estates are parasitic and unnecessary, and that their continued domination is untenable in the long run. In no way are the nobility and clergy supposed to be good or virtuous. The term Third World is ultimately based on Emmanuel Joseph Sieyčs's famous pamphlet What Is The Third Estate?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_the_Third_Estate%3F

quote:

In the pamphlet, Sieyčs argues that the Third Estate – the common people of France – constituted a complete nation in itself and had no need of the "dead weight" of the two other orders, the First and Second Estates of the clergy and aristocracy. Sieyčs stated that the people wanted genuine representatives in the Estates-General, equal representation to the other two orders taken together, and votes taken by heads and not by orders. These ideas came to have an immense influence on the course of the French Revolution.

It's a reductionist term, perhaps even paternalistic in the way that anti-imperialist 'Third Worldism' in general usually is, but your interpretation is totally nonsensical.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

Okay, lets say that the term "Third World" has imperialist origins. Are you going to claim that everyone who used the term "Third World" is a vicious racist who believes in white supremacy? Because if you are, then you're a bigger crackpot than I thought you were. What is so racist about acknowledging that some parts of the world are worse to live in than others? Hell, depending on your interpretation, the term could even be used as pejorative towards Imperialist powers, since the reason most of the third world countries are third world is because of Imperialism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Phlegmish posted:

But the implication is that the first two estates are parasitic and unnecessary, and that their continued domination is untenable in the long run. In no way are the nobility and clergy supposed to be good or virtuous. The term Third World is ultimately based on Emmanuel Joseph Sieyčs's famous pamphlet What Is The Third Estate?:

It's a reductionist term, perhaps even paternalistic in the way that anti-imperialist 'Third Worldism' in general usually is, but your interpretation is totally nonsensical.

That can't be paternalistic unless you really stretch the word paternalistic.

Which is usually the case when applied to anti-imperialism stuff, granted.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

And that can be his interpretation as much as you want, it doesn't change the fact that it isn't what most people think when they hear third world. When most people hear third world they think, "Oh, you mean those guys in other countries with lovely jobs and unstable governments and no education?" Nobody gives a poo poo what the original author intended for it to mean, because that is completely irrelevant for what a term actually means. The guy who made .gif says it's pronounced like jiff but gently caress if anybody says that instead of giff.

VerdantSquire posted:

Okay, lets say that the term "Third World" has imperialist origins. Are you going to claim that everyone who used the term "Third World" is a vicious racist who believes in white supremacy? Because if you are, then you're a bigger crackpot than I thought you were. What is so racist about acknowledging that some parts of the world are worse to live in than others? Hell, depending on your interpretation, the term could even be used as pejorative towards Imperialist powers, since the reason most of the third world countries are third world is because of Imperialism.

Of course not, I'm saying that people should avoid saying third world because the discourse matters and frames the way we look at the world. It's like the difference between saying negro/friend of the family vs blacks vs black people vs african american; you're saying the same thing with all of them, and depending on when you're from you might not even be a racist when you say it. On the other hand, the language is divisive and leads to a world view where african americans are otherized compared to the rest of the population. The same thing applies here.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

The term african american is actually more offensive than just saying black people. I've literally never met anyone that uses the term except stuffy white people who want everyone to know how not-racist they are.

edit: Anyone remember at the Olympics one year some black British guy won a medal (I don't remember the specifics) and the guy interviewing him was some American dude who asked him how it felt, as an African American, to win the gold medal. The guy said something like, uh I'm not African or American.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2014

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

And that can be his interpretation as much as you want, it doesn't change the fact that it isn't what most people think when they hear third world. When most people hear third world they think, "Oh, you mean those guys in other countries with lovely jobs and unstable governments and no education?" Nobody gives a poo poo what the original author intended for it to mean, because that is completely irrelevant for what a term actually means. The guy who made .gif says it's pronounced like jiff but gently caress if anybody says that instead of giff.
... Uh, maybe they think that because that is the exact situation of third world countries, to the point of almost being the dictionary definition? Or are you going to spout off about how the middle east and south america are bastions of stable government and economic equality? Because if so :laffo:. Besides, wasn't the original premise of your argument that the Third World is a term with imperialistic origins?

Sampatrick posted:

Of course not, I'm saying that people should avoid saying third world because the discourse matters and frames the way we look at the world. It's like the difference between saying negro/friend of the family vs blacks vs black people vs african american; you're saying the same thing with all of them, and depending on when you're from you might not even be a racist when you say it. On the other hand, the language is divisive and leads to a world view where african americans are otherized compared to the rest of the population. The same thing applies here.
"I'm not saying your racist for calling some countries third world, just that you are the equivalent of people who still use extremely offensive and derogatory terms to describe black people!"

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh good, now people are unironically making that argument.

Like I have stepped into the Paradox forums.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I miss the days when people used paradox games as a vehicle to argue design decisions and how large Serbia should be.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
That amazing double post

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

I miss the days when people used paradox games as a vehicle to argue design decisions and how large Serbia should be.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This conversation is like two third world countries bickering over which one is less third world.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This conversation is like two third world countries bickering over which one is less third world.

While another dude just keeps screaming "well you both suck :smug:".

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Soo errr is this thread move to the D&D forum or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Supeerme posted:

Soo errr is this thread move to the D&D forum or something?

People are spurging, its not that different than what it always is.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So, what do you guys think about the European tech group being better than everyone else?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

The term african american is actually more offensive than just saying black people. I've literally never met anyone that uses the term except stuffy white people who want everyone to know how not-racist they are.

edit: Anyone remember at the Olympics one year some black British guy won a medal (I don't remember the specifics) and the guy interviewing him was some American dude who asked him how it felt, as an African American, to win the gold medal. The guy said something like, uh I'm not African or American.

Uh when I'm talking about actual african americans in the US, the correct term is african american. That's just the proper term, I don't see how that British dude has anything to do with it.

VerdantSquire posted:

... Uh, maybe they think that because that is the exact situation of third world countries, to the point of almost being the dictionary definition? Or are you going to spout off about how the middle east and south america are bastions of stable government and economic equality? Because if so :laffo:. Besides, wasn't the original premise of your argument that the Third World is a term with imperialistic origins?

"I'm not saying your racist for calling some countries third world, just that you are the equivalent of people who still use extremely offensive and derogatory terms to describe black people!"

It's more like was it racist for people in the 1920s/30s to call African American negroes? Maybe. Was it deliberately offensive? Probably not. Did it promote an us versus them mentality? Most definitely. That's the issue with the term third world countries; it's not that it's deliberately bad, or that the people who say it are bad, it's that the phrase itself, simply by virtue of what it represents, is bad. And the problem with it on an imperialist line is that it justifies military interventions/whatever else, because, combined with the divisiveness, it lends credence to the idea that when we go into these countries we're trying to 'uplift' them, rather than just doing what are pretty standard imperialist tactics of preserving our economic interests.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GrossMurpel posted:

So, what do you guys think about the European tech group being better than everyone else?

They should rename tech groups to first world tech, second world tech and developing world tech.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Europeans are better than everybody else so it makes sense

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

They should rename tech groups to first world tech, second world tech and developing world tech.
Let's go whole hog and use the Three Stages of Civilization

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay I get the first and last one, but what's the middle one supposed to be? Is the second stage of civilization the same as the first stage, but colder?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sampatrick posted:

quote:

His usage was a reference to the Third Estate, the commoners of France who, before and during the French Revolution, opposed the clergy and nobles, who composed the First Estate and Second Estate, respectively. Sauvy wrote, "This third world ignored, exploited, despised like the third estate also wants to be something."[3] He conveyed the concept of political non-alignment with either the capitalist or communist bloc.

You are so incredibly stupid, are you in seventh grade? Jesus Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Okay I get the first and last one, but what's the middle one supposed to be? Is the second stage of civilization the same as the first stage, but colder?
Between barbarism and civilization there's a viking cowboy phase. It's as violent as it is embarassing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mans posted:

You are so incredibly stupid, are you in seventh grade? Jesus Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement

Between barbarism and civilization there's a viking cowboy phase. It's as violent as it is embarassing.

Oh my loving christ you are like a five year old. You do realize that other people have different world views, and the majority of people aren't gonna think Third Estate of the Ancien Regime of France when they hear the term third world, right? Like for gently caress's sake, you're like one of those dumbasses who thinks there's only one possible thing that anything can mean, and any other interpretation is wrong.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Anybody else like the Fallout mod for Darkest Hour? It's pretty impressive, as far as scale and flavor is concerned, and it's still in ongoing development, which is impressive for a mod as old as that. The fairly recent port to the E3 map with its billions of provinces really breathed new life into it, as well.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Clearly, the real reason why Paradox can't release a Cold War game is because it can't find a sufficiently politically-correct way to refer to the Third World developing countries the guys who are not in NATO or the Warsaw pact those other dudes the dudes the people who may be male or female or other who are over there which is on the same planet as the rest of us so they're not really different at all honestly.

Is this really the place for this discussion?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sampatrick posted:

Oh my loving christ you are like a five year old. You do realize that other people have different world views, and the majority of people aren't gonna think Third Estate of the Ancien Regime of France when they hear the term third world, right? Like for gently caress's sake, you're like one of those dumbasses who thinks there's only one possible thing that anything can mean, and any other interpretation is wrong.

Same could be said for you. :downsbravo:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sampatrick posted:

Just because you are ignorant of poo poo doesn't mean we should all stoop down to your level.

Seriously, you used a term without knowing what it meant, just found out about it, and are now lashing out because it's different then what you thought it was. Calm down and go read wikipedia or something.

Also, "a lot of other people are ignorant too, thus I am right" isn't a very convincing argument.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sampatrick posted:

Sampatrick posted:

It's more like was it racist for people in the 1920s/30s to call African American negroes? Maybe. Was it deliberately offensive? Probably not. Did it promote an us versus them mentality? Most definitely. That's the issue with the term third world countries; it's not that it's deliberately bad, or that the people who say it are bad, it's that the phrase itself, simply by virtue of what it represents, is bad. And the problem with it on an imperialist line is that it justifies military interventions/whatever else, because, combined with the divisiveness, it lends credence to the idea that when we go into these countries we're trying to 'uplift' them, rather than just doing what are pretty standard imperialist tactics of preserving our economic interests.
The term is literally telling you pea-brained loser that the first and second world are imperialist blocs who use their economic, political and military muscles to draw weaker states into their own spheres and that the countries who are not directly linked with one of the blocs will suffer pressure and exploitation from both sides.

The term itself is anti-imperialist by nature and is the opposite of apologia for first or second world invasions of the third world.

The modern definition of third world is effectively useless with the collapse of the second bloc and is in fact used nowadays as an insult to throw against non-western countries. The definition of third world that the OP was talking about, however, was clearly meant to be a reference to the definition of thirld world as used during the Cold War. And you simply can't grasp that because nowadays, twenty years after the term became obsolete, the term is misused.

You could've just said "nowadays the definition of third world is badly used and is a prejorative" but you went on stinking this thread with your babby first Maoist rant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Also, "a lot of other people are ignorant too, thus I am right" isn't a very convincing argument.

Eh that isn't true, if the majority are ignorant and use it incorrectly than it really doesn't matter what the "correct" definition is. The popular use is the only one that really matters. Outside of allowing you to be smug, I suppose.

See entitlements for another example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I notice the second guy has pants and shoes. I guess that's all you need to be considered one step more civilized.

Can't help but notice that the "civilized" guy looks goddamn depressed compared to his pals. Appropriate, I suppose!

• Locked thread