Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Putty posted:

Please use small versions of instead of for the links.

It will improve the Let's Play experience tenfold.

Or if you want this as small as your original image (but why would you want that, the smaller size reduces that smiling face!), then here.

:e:

Also gently caress it, this is the best way to start a new page in the sandcastle. All new pages should be required to have a gif or something.

BMS fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I remember when The New Order came out there was this sudden wave of people going "Holy crap this is a good game with good writing how did that happen?"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BMS posted:

Or if you want this as small as your original image (but why would you want that, the smaller size reduces that smiling face!), then here.

Also gently caress it, this is the best way to start a new page in the sandcastle. All new pages should be required to have a gif or something.

It's...it's beautiful.

Anything else as far as things I need to work on or anything? I plan on also having a post showing the various enemy types. But that'll just be sprites and brief descriptions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Invisible Ted posted:

Everything looks good to me. On a side note, these are videos of a Wolfenstein video game, and they are making me feel things. Having seen nothing about The New Order until now, I'm pathetically eager for more videos.

Just saying, Steam sale has it for $30 today if you have a decent PC. Oddly enough there are no graphical settings to adjust, just resolution. I have to think that was due to how idTech5 works and scales automatically. It came out for the Xboxs and PlayStations, but I looked at some videos from the PS3 version and it legit looks like a late PS2 era game there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should just note that while the story and setting is great, there are a couple of rather bad level ideas and the gunplay gets old pretty fast. Just an opinion though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Should just note that while the story and setting is great, there are a couple of rather bad level ideas and the gunplay gets old pretty fast. Just an opinion though.

This is a game, in the year of our lord 2014, that lets you dual-wield any gun in the game. How can you find fault in this? :colbert:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Just a bit of advanced warning, I'm in the process of setting up a new server for the archive/lpix that has a decent chunk more disk space, which should cover expansion for the next few years I hope - it was getting a bit tight. That means I'm moving over all the stuff and checking as best I can that it all works so I'll be ready to hit the switch, but things might be a bit flakey until I fix all the bugs when I do switch over.

I'm hoping to repoint the domains this weekend, so probably early saturday morning UK time I'll put lpix into maintenance mode which will mean all uploads will be blocked on the old server. I'll post here with the new IP if you want to manually hosts file it while DNS propagates.

edit: if you have an account on baldurdash, contact me after the switchover to set you up again since I'm going to take the opportunity to clear out some of the old accounts that were lying around.

baldurk fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 2, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the hard work baldurk!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

BMS posted:

videogames are art

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Lazyfire posted:

Just saying, Steam sale has it for $30 today if you have a decent PC. Oddly enough there are no graphical settings to adjust, just resolution. I have to think that was due to how idTech5 works and scales automatically. It came out for the Xboxs and PlayStations, but I looked at some videos from the PS3 version and it legit looks like a late PS2 era game there.

I don't have a PC capable of running most modern, AAA games, nor any consoles, so for most games I have to play vicariously through LPs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DStecks posted:

This is a game, in the year of our lord 2014, that lets you dual-wield any gun in the game. How can you find fault in this? :colbert:

We'll take it to the thread, but he's not wrong that you spend a good amount of time playing the game like a cover shooter because it gets straight up hard about midway through, which means you lose some of the neat stuff like sliding at people firing dual wield semi-auto shotguns.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

Basically what Lazyfire said, a lot of the cooler guns simply aren't useful. Also (and that's probably my biggest gameplay-related complaint: THERE'S NOT ENOUGH GRENADES). But let's leave this for the LP.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I posted the Wolfenstein thread here so we can continue talking about the merits of the best shooter of 2014 in a thread dedicated to it instead of the Sandcastle.

I also didn't put he second half of the first level up at this time because loading an hour of video on people off the bat seems like a bad idea.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BMS posted:

It's bittersweet. Amazingly beautiful, but I'm saddened that I have realized that it's impossible to make that the title of the thread. Just make that thing show up under all the stickied threads and in the page headder, and footer, and whenever you'd try to post in the thread.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Almost on a whim, I ended up making a Let's Play for one of my all-time favorite games, F-19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685448

It didn't get any responses, and I am wondering if whether that is because
a) I didn't write anything interesting
or
b) There just isn't any interest in a 26 year old simulator game.

Obviously a simulator game doesn't have some of the things that a modern game would have, such as plot or characters. So what is there that I could add in to explain why playing this game is fun for me?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

glowing-fish posted:

Probably this. Some games just don't draw traffic like others do. Beyond Two Souls was one of my most popular LP's but NiGHTS Into Dreams and Battleblock Theater got like no views in comparison.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mico posted:

Probably this. Some games just don't draw traffic like others do. Beyond Two Souls was one of my most popular LP's but NiGHTS Into Dreams and Battleblock Theater got like no views in comparison.

In this situation, you need to remember the three G's:

Gotta Getta Gimmick

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Gotta Getta Gimmick

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but that may actually help here. The game simply lacks anything to really make it interesting to the viewers, so you need a way to capture their attention. The traditional method for games like this is to combine storytelling with the LP, applying a narrative (likely humorous) to the events that occur.

The question is: can you make something compelling enough to attract on its own?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Blind Sally posted:

Gotta Getta Gimmick

where do i find this "Gimmick"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Putty posted:

Find a mirror
Look deep within yourself
Then start making funny faces in front of a camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Putty posted:

According to Wikipedia, it's somewhere in Japan.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

glowing-fish posted:

Almost on a whim, I ended up making a Let's Play for one of my all-time favorite games, F-19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose:

or

Obviously a simulator game doesn't have some of the things that a modern game would have, such as plot or characters. So what is there that I could add in to explain why playing this game is fun for me?

Personally, what I see as a problem is that there's a genre-LP clash - you're playing a flying simulator, which I believe to be inherently more suited for a VLP, not a SSLP. I'd figure that I could get into that a lot more if I can see the dogfighting and such in motion.

Alternatively, the gimmick strat is probably a good avenue to take as well. If you figure the game isn't interesting enough on its own, you've probably got to add something yourself, be it a narrative thing, some special gimmick (like playing with flightsticks that you're steering with your feet - not saying that you should do that, but it's an example of something extreme that could cause some interest - lord knows I'd be interested in seeing somebody steer a plane with their feet, given that it's basically the logical escalation of the SM64 LP) or something else that's unique. People joke about "what do you bring to the table?", but it's still a question you should ask yourself, basically looking at it from the point of the viewer/reader, asking you: "Why should I read/watch your LP, what makes it interesting?".

I didn't have anything like that for my first two LPs (Safecracker 1 and 2) and because of that, the threads were barren. But personally, I didn't really give a poo poo, as the original intent for the first one was to reach the LP Archive to archive a complete 100% playthrough of one of my favorite games that seemed to have been mostly forgotten (thanks to it being based on Quicktime - not to mention it being ancient Quicktime), and the second one was basically a required followup (sort of how Vampires Dawn is a required followup to my Unterwegs in Düsterburg LP - I mentioned the game so many times, I'm practically obliged to show it off now).

Putty posted:

On Ebay, I think. Check the Famicom games. The true secret to being a great LPer is owning a copy of Gimmick and praying to it every morning.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not

I'm never sure myself.

Putty posted:

I was gonna say something like "look within you, my child", but Bobbin basically beat me to it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Also please for the love of gently caress don't timg a sslp there is nothing more tedious and unnecessary in life.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

glowing-fish posted:

or

Hokay, I'm looking at it, and... For a start, it's a screenshot LP. An informative screenshot LP, with, as far as I can tell, not a single video to its name. This is definitely part of the problem. Yes, F-19's graphics are definitely not amazing today, but as you mention, 1988, it was the dog's bollocks for 3d. So you can describe the action all you want, but nobody's seeing it. I see a Mig (just about), I see that you have a lock on it, but there's no missile on screen (And we both know from playing this that it had missiles)

And odds are, you're playing this on DOSBox, which has an inbuilt video recording function.

Go hybrid, is my advice. The video will help, because it will let you pick screenshots better (That's your other problem. Your screenshots aren't capturing the feels you obviously want to give.) Not many folks who haven't played the game will understand unless they see it in motion, smooth as the day it was released (And drat, for the time, it was smooth as silk!)

EDIT: And for god's sake, get the tunes, tindeck 'em or something! Microprose were a byword for quality in sims for a longass time, show that off!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 5, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

JamieTheD posted:

And odds are, you're playing this on DOSBox, which has an inbuilt video recording function.

Go hybrid, is my advice. The video will help, because it will let you pick screenshots better (That's your other problem. Your screenshots aren't capturing the feels you obviously want to give.) Not many folks who haven't played the game will understand unless they see it in motion, smooth as the day it was released (And drat, for the time, it was smooth as silk!)

Thank you for the advice (you as well as others)!

Making a full video of F-19 would perhaps be pretty tl;dw for a lot of people. Much of the game is slowly flying to and from the target. I could take a minute or two video to show the game's more exciting moments, and to show certain mechanisms.

A bigger question is how do I show why this game is worth playing: well, one of the problems is of course it is not worth playing for everyone, even setting aside the question of its age. A lot of the appeal of it for me comes from the fact that it lends itself to a meditative state, because not a lot is happening, but I have to pay close attention to what is. But perhaps I can communicate that in a better play-through...

(Also, I took out the timg, and changed the formatting around a bit)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

glowing-fish posted:

Thank you for the advice (you as well as others)!

Making a full video of F-19 would perhaps be pretty tl;dw for a lot of people. Much of the game is slowly flying to and from the target. I could take a minute or two video to show the game's more exciting moments, and to show certain mechanisms.

A bigger question is how do I show why this game is worth playing: well, one of the problems is of course it is not worth playing for everyone, even setting aside the question of its age. A lot of the appeal of it for me comes from the fact that it lends itself to a meditative state, because not a lot is happening, but I have to pay close attention to what is. But perhaps I can communicate that in a better play-through...

(Also, I took out the timg, and changed the formatting around a bit)

You're right, a full video may well not be for everyone. But take a look at this brief video. Only 4 minutes, and heavily edited, but it shows many of the tools of the game (other cameras, for example). A narrative, as noted, helps. But one thing to always keep in mind with an LP, even if you don't mention it, is what you just mentioned now: How it makes you feel. Understanding why you like the game better allows you to communicate. For example: Yes, not a lot goes on. You could look into the "Why is that?" (Probable answer: Code limitations). Why do you have to pay attention? (Because it's surprisingly nippy for a game like this, and certain things, like landing, you have to do right.) What makes it appealing? (For you, gamer trance... In a good way. For me, simple controls for a sim game, many of the missions are effectively procedural, the atmosphere, and the sense of history.)

*grins* You picked a niche subject, but there's definitely a resurgence in the oldgames right now, what with the shooter thread, Miketopus' recently finished Deja Vu LP, and a few others. Maybe it's time for me to dust off some ancient platformers. :v:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 5, 2014

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

JamieTheD posted:

You're right, a full video may well not be for everyone. But take a look at this brief video. Only 4 minutes, and heavily edited, but it shows many of the tools of the game (other cameras, for example). A narrative, as noted, helps. But one thing to always keep in mind with an LP, even if you don't mention it, is what you just mentioned now: How it makes you feel. Understanding why you like the game better allows you to communicate. For example: Yes, not a lot goes on. You could look into the "Why is that?" (Probable answer: Code limitations). Why do you have to pay attention? (Because it's surprisingly nippy for a game like this, and certain things, like landing, you have to do right.) What makes it appealing? (For you, gamer trance... In a good way. For me, simple controls for a sim game, many of the missions are effectively procedural, the atmosphere, and the sense of history.)

*grins* You picked a niche subject, but there's definitely a resurgence in the oldgames right now, what with the shooter thread, Miketopus' recently finished Deja Vu LP, and a few others. Maybe it's time for me to dust off some ancient platformers. :v:

If all else fails, turn it into a Microprose wargames megathread. Gunship, Airborne Ranger, Silent Service all got at least as much play in my household as F-19, and if one doesn't hook somebody, the next one might.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Are ads on the LP archive broken because I'm just getting a blank white box and I have Adblock disabled for the archive and all scripts allowed in NoScript.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
They're working for me. If you see a blank white box that probably means project wonderful is failing to load properly as there's a white box deliberately placed over the nag message, so you don't see it while PW is loading. Have you tried a different browser?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

baldurk posted:

They're working for me. If you see a blank white box that probably means project wonderful is failing to load properly as there's a white box deliberately placed over the nag message, so you don't see it while PW is loading. Have you tried a different browser?

They work in other browsers so I guess PW just doesn't recognise the FF fork I use (Palemoon 24.7.2) so just decides to not load the ads.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

I just put lpix into maintenance mode. I'm going to check everything's up to date and transferred over to the new server, do a final database export etc, then switch over and post the new IP here.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

All right, I think everything's moved over, DNS is now propagating. If you want to hosts file it then the new IP is 209.95.38.214 for lpix.org, lparchive.org, etc.

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the course of the weekend to make sure everything's running smoothly, but if you notice anything broken, missing, whatever please let me know.

Anyone who needs access back to their baldurdash account just get in touch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

All right, I think everything's moved over, DNS is now propagating. If you want to hosts file it then the new IP is 209.95.38.214 for lpix.org, lparchive.org, etc.

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the course of the weekend to make sure everything's running smoothly, but if you notice anything broken, missing, whatever please let me know.

Anyone who needs access back to their baldurdash account just get in touch.

Is the LPix Rightload plugin affected by this? Do we have to change anything in the plugin settings, or will it just automatically upload to the new IP through the LPix.org domain address?

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Is the LPix Rightload plugin affected by this? Do we have to change anything in the plugin settings, or will it just automatically upload to the new IP through the LPix.org domain address?

Yeh the plugin isn't affected it does everything via DNS. If your browser shows the new site, the plugin will use it too.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Was the issue with the archives ever sorted out? It looks like no threads have been archived on SA since late June, and LPArchive says it was last updated in September.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm afraid archives may be dead forever, because it can't take that long to fix them. Unless it does. I'm not exactly a professional.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

frozentreasure posted:

Was the issue with the archives ever sorted out? It looks like no threads have been archived on SA since late June, and LPArchive says it was last updated in September.

Yeh the SA archives issues are why I've been sitting on a bunch of archive requests - I know at least some threads are missing content/updates from before the SA archives stopped being updated so I didn't want to worry about archiving some threads and accidentally missing stuff. AFAIK we haven't heard anything about if or when they'll be fixed. If we haven't heard anything by the new year, I'll probably start going through the threads anyway and just asking authors to go through with a very careful eye to see if anything's hosed up.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i have faith that lowtax will fix the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler

Putty posted:

i have faith that lowtax will fix the forums
I'm not saying your faith is misplaced but perhaps there are some things that don't need or deserve fixing.

So, uh, disregarding that post that got me banned or probated about eight pages back (which was the right decision), I've come back with a test post that I spent the better part of the night on and was looking for some feedback. You can find the test post here:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21222

I'm not sure if I have any specific questions, but in general does this look acceptable? I used imgur to host the screenshots since I couldn't get lpix to do a batch upload, but this seems to have worked fine. I also meant to pepper it with some more smileys (especially some raging at that fucker Gilbert), but that'll come later. One question I did have would be what should be the proper length for something like this? I started with 99 screenshots and cut it down from there, but if you think it's too long or too short let me know, I think I got a good balance for this intro post, though with some more effort I could've transcribed some of the text as well.

Still, just looking for feedback and first impressions. I'd definitely be interested in continuing this, just wanted to get a test post out there to take a general pulse.

And apologies for what might have been posted by me prior. That was shortly after my identity and a lot of my personal info had been stolen and immediately prior to my hospitalization. I can't even remember writing that first post and I dread to think what else might be out there...

edit: I also need a title! Does "The Ballad of Baynes" sound too generic?

• Locked thread