Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

spongeh posted:

Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

spongeh posted:

Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

What committee of faceless corporate lackeys decreed that Quake Live had to be ruined? Or is the dev team just that stupid?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

At least record a video of it, you monster

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nokiaman posted:

So I was looking through old MOTYs on moddb and found this.

I want that HUD! It's perfect.

The funny thing is, I wouldn't really have thought that was a particularly weird HUD if it came out in 1993 or whatever. If anything, it's not busy enough.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm actually surprised that hud wasn't used in the XBLA/PSN/BFG version of DoomII

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
I found it. It's from the Brutal Doom creator funnily enough :v:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35433

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spongeh posted:

thanks for listening.

I'd argue that the Super Mario Bros. 3 tech demo could fall within fair use since it's not a complete recreation of the game but rather a reproduction for technical and archival purposes.

Quake Live's changes aren't bad at all (though honestly I don't see why the HMG has to exist, you have three perfectly fine weapons from Team Arena to use) but I'm an idiot poo poo baby so whatever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why make the HMG instead of buffing the old MG?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Linguica posted:

pretty please?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bathtub Cheese posted:

What committee of faceless corporate lackeys decreed that Quake Live had to be ruined? Or is the dev team just that stupid?

nope! it was entirely driven by us, the team of 4 (2 devs, qa/support, producer) i am the one who coded it and came up with the ultimate solution for the HMG.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'd argue that the Super Mario Bros. 3 tech demo could fall within fair use since it's not a complete recreation of the game but rather a reproduction for technical and archival purposes.

Quake Live's changes aren't bad at all (though honestly I don't see why the HMG has to exist, you have three perfectly fine weapons from Team Arena to use) but I'm an idiot poo poo baby so whatever.

yea the ultimate idea of the HMG was to be a jack of all trades master of none. we could've probably reskinned/reused the chaingun but it felt a little weird. probably would've been an easier pill to swallow though. the rocket launcher is better than the HMG at the RL's strengths, but the HMG will do more to an RL long range. similar thinking with the LG/RG's strengths/weaknesses. ultimately i wish we were able to do more with the weapons, so instead of starting with the top tier weapons, you start off with something more useful than the Q3 MG, and less useful than the top tier weapons, but the implications on balance would've been way more there.

i think the changes make the new TDM and DOM the most fun modes in QL, although I tend to agree the health/armor regen in dom is not a perfect solution. we could probably have enabled only health and armor in DOM but it still would conflict with dom points.

Linguica posted:

do you still hang out on synirc at all? wouldn't feel comfortable posting videos or screenshots but probably can talk about it more specifically. i'm sponge- on it.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cat Mattress posted:

Why make the HMG instead of buffing the old MG?

duel, mostly. i think the mg still has a place as a long-range finisher, but it is probably weaker than it should be to really excel at that role. we didn't want to change the weapons in between modes, and giving the buffed mg a different look and sound would re-inforce that it has a different function. in retrospect the name and look probably had too much ~military shooter~ stigma even though it is literally just a buffed mg with increased spread.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Currently, GOG is selling an FPS bundle containing SiN, Blood, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Duke Nukem 3D for $6.36.

FPS Icons Pack.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
They should add Doom and make it an even $6.66

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Would you believe me if I said that GOG is the one website to not sell Doom?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is not selling any tittle under Bethesda ownership, but it wasn't selling it when it was under Activision either. I don't get it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Doom is already drm free on Steam.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So is Farcry 2. The point is that some people want a digital copy from GOG wich usually includes soundtrack and other goodies (wich of course you can rip out of the game files).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guillermus posted:

So is Farcry 2. The point is that some people want a digital copy from GOG wich usually includes soundtrack and other goodies (wich of course you can rip out of the game files).

No I mean, that was the gist of the official response from iD/Zenimax last time they were asked why it wasn't released on GOG.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I guess they don't want the extra cash that could be made by selling a 20-year old game on another service, then?

And while we're waiting for Strife re-release, I've found it's original short CGI intro. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysku6WD1tOA

Someone at Rogue had to really like Johnny Mnemonic.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Quake live dude you're the worst kind of tease

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So I have a floppy disk with a Mario 3 build on it.

Well, bye.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

So I have a floppy disk with a Mario 3 build on it.

Well, bye.

Yeah, it's infuriating :argh:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

LOGGING
ON

INTERNET:

GLOBAL ACCESS

URL

velocitygames.com

ftp://

IRC

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doom is already drm free on Steam.

Yeah it owns. You download it and it just ends up in my documents folder for anyone and everyone to copy and abuse. But I usually tell my buddies to Buy That poo poo.
Most weeks I play Doom, either vanilla or with mods.

So does anyone else like Doom? It's a Good Game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Doom's fine but it's no Fortress of Dr. Radiaki.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Blake Stone, bitches.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Look regardless of personal biases I think we call all agree that Blood Bath at Red Falls is the most significant FPS of our time

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like Serpent: Resurrection is going to be getting one last big update in time for Christmas.

For those who haven't played it, it's an enormous mod for Hexen that turns it into the RPG/FPS hybrid that it always wanted to be. Lots more weapons and abilities. Four characters each with a full set of 7 weapons, most (all?) with alt-fires. RPG stat system, magic system, and much more open levels. There's villages and shops and somewhat more plot, too. It was really good back in the day, aside from some pacing issues in the first couple maps. It's full game length, and significantly longer than vanilla Hexen.

The change-log for the update is pretty lengthy. Seems it's mostly balancing and tuning and making it look a little swankier. Also an (optional) new soundtrack that apparently sounds more fantasy-adventure'y, rather than chiptuney.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 7, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

Is not selling any tittle under Bethesda ownership

http://www.gog.com/game/arx_fatalis

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All I see while searching is that it got published by Jowood/Dreamcatcher. Unless Arkane is 100% under Bethesda, is still not a Bethesda game. Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.arkane-studios.com/uk/arx.php / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arx_Fatalis

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

oh hey

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Is that Strife multiplayer?

Guillermus posted:

All I see while searching is that it got published by Jowood/Dreamcatcher. Unless Arkane is 100% under Bethesda, is still not a Bethesda game. Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.arkane-studios.com/uk/arx.php / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arx_Fatalis

Arkane is totally under ZeniMax, but it was published by what is now Nordic games, so I guess they got to hold the license to publishing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bethesda's refusal to do any business with GOG at all is rather frustrating. Especially back when Fallout got pulled, and angry fans were tweeting at Bethesda as to why it wasn't on GOG, and their only response was "Don't worry! We're working on getting this back up on Steam ASAP!" Right, but, they didn't ask about Steam. :\

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why can you buy a vaporizer, douche, and pregnancy test in a Terminator game :stonk:

That's a weird attention to realism.

Also god drat, this is pretty much GTA in 1990. The 3D GTA. That's CRAZY ambitious. Of course it runs like poo poo, but yeah.

Well, that explains their modding community years later...

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Dominic White posted:

Looks like Serpent: Resurrection is going to be getting one last big update in time for Christmas.

For those who haven't played it, it's an enormous mod for Hexen that turns it into the RPG/FPS hybrid that it always wanted to be. Lots more weapons and abilities. Four characters each with a full set of 7 weapons, most (all?) with alt-fires. RPG stat system, magic system, and much more open levels. There's villages and shops and somewhat more plot, too. It was really good back in the day, aside from some pacing issues in the first couple maps. It's full game length, and significantly longer than vanilla Hexen.

The change-log for the update is pretty lengthy. Seems it's mostly balancing and tuning and making it look a little swankier. Also an (optional) new soundtrack that apparently sounds more fantasy-adventure'y, rather than chiptuney.

I'm a few levels into the last release of serpent and it's really good. Big open levels and exploring and other goodies.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

horse mans posted:

I'm a few levels into the last release of serpent and it's really good. Big open levels and exploring and other goodies.

It really kicks it up a notch after the first hub, too, after a really good boss fight. I really consider it the mod for Hexen. I can't even imagine going back to confusing switch mazes and the four-weapon design.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What's recommended for making Doom engine maps? I've been thinking of getting into it, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Unrelated, but how's eRampage looking now? I thought I saw that there was a bunch of activity a while ago, and last time I checked it out it still had a bunch of Duke stuff in there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

What's recommended for making Doom engine maps? I've been thinking of getting into it, but I'm not quite sure where to start.
Doom Builder is the modern standard. GZDoom Builder is a fork that makes mapping for ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum nicer. SLADE also has a map editor, but its a general use WAD editing tool for textures and other fun stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'd recommend SLADE 3 + GZDoom Builder. That should cover all your editing needs. Although GZDB is focused on fancy ZDoom/GZDoom features, it is still as capable as normal Doom Builder 2 of handling vanilla/Boom maps; and is has the advantage of still being maintained and bugfixed. Note that when you right-click on a map label in SLADE 3, you get "Open in Doom Builder 2" in the context menu, so you can do everything from SLADE 3 even if you don't want to use its own map editor.

On the other side of the spectrum, if you want a kinda-minimalist editor, there's Eureka. No fancy ZDoom features to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Elliotw2 posted:

Is that Strife multiplayer?

It would seem like a safe bet, and it certainly would be a new addition, as nothing about teams existed before hand. Strife only has 8 player FFA deathmatch, and is also the only idtech1 based game to not support co-op.
Not through lack of trying, mind you. There are signs that co-op was planned at one stage. A number of maps have 4 player starts (8 are supported) and a couple of scripts accounted for multiple players. It would certainly be neat to see if that ever gets expanded upon/finished.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 8, 2014