Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Pomp posted:

Ignoring the part where she's actually won every fight we've seen her in, do you think pure martial skill is the only thing that can make a kung fu villain threatening or something? She's a charismatic fascist. Those have a real world history of being incredibly dangerous people.

I actually specifically pointed out that it was not that her only threat should be Martial but that if they were attempting to make her a martial threat in addition to being a charismatic tactical genius they were doing a poor job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X_Toad posted:

She didn't care, and apparently she believes that young people ought to resolve their own problems.

They really went through hoops to have that canon survive the encounter, didn't they? Toph didn't touch it for somewhat flimsy reasons, and Bolin, the guy who could have drowned it in lava, was off saving Zhu Li.

It seems consistent with how Toph is now. She just wants to sit back and chill for the most part. Rava help you if you touch her family, but beyond that do whatever you want. Even when Toph's swamp was getting harvested, she gave zero fucks about it (or at least, nothing was shown to indicate her caring).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I started rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender and holy poo poo is this show much worse than I remembered it being. I mean IIRC it gets better in Book 2 by a lot but man Book 1 of ATLA is so much worse than everything else in either series I'm actually having trouble getting through it. It makes me groan constantly with the forced humor, even more so than Bolin at his worst, and the lesson/village of the week episodes just aren't very interesting at all.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yes, indeed. I really felt sorry for Toph at that moment.

I felt sorry for Toph there but at the same time I felt Lin forgiving her was too easy. Toph really has been an absolutely horrible mother from what we've seen and kinda deserves Lin's hate.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Sharmat posted:

I started rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender and holy poo poo is this show much worse than I remembered it being. I mean IIRC it gets better in Book 2 by a lot but man Book 1 of ATLA is so much worse than everything else in either series I'm actually having trouble getting through it. It makes me groan constantly with the forced humor, even more so than Bolin at his worst, and the lesson/village of the week episodes just aren't very interesting at all.

My plan when Book 4 of Korra is over is to rewatch the entire franchise, both series back-to-back, and I'm dreading Airbender. I never cared much for Aang (or, frankly, most of the main cast) and I remember so much of the humor being not so great. It's mostly the very end I recall really enjoying. In turn, I'm looking forward to seeing Korra's story carry through all at once and ultimately enjoy a greater number of the cast both main and otherwise.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Realistically destroying the cannon would have only bought them some time.

Also, since the cannon is being built to attack Republic City, which is famous for its metalbending police force, they might have just built the thing out of platinum like all of the mechs and stuff are, anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It really shows you how loving rich Sato was that he made all of his armored units out of pure platinum. Isn't it like 6 times more valuable than gold?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My plan when Book 4 of Korra is over is to rewatch the entire franchise, both series back-to-back, and I'm dreading Airbender. I never cared much for Aang (or, frankly, most of the main cast) and I remember so much of the humor being not so great. It's mostly the very end I recall really enjoying. In turn, I'm looking forward to seeing Korra's story carry through all at once and ultimately enjoy a greater number of the cast both main and otherwise.

Honestly at this point I'd like to just pretend that the main character of the original series was Zuko just because even in Book 1 he's just not part of any bad scenes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder if (and hope) people will stop making GBS threads on Korra and praising ATLA as better than it once time has passed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It'll happen if Korra ends up being a cult classic and has more fans seeing it on their own after it originally aired without living through the huge hype that anticipated it and got peoples' hopes up. Or at least I think so. It's entirely possible I just have really bad taste and am justifying my opinion being better than other peoples' opinions for contrived reasons to make myself feel better.

Honestly I do think Korra will fit together much better as a whole than it ever did when it was airing an episode at a time. Rewatching Legend of Korra is pretty cool. Korra is a totally different person in Book 1 than she is now and I think the change makes all the frustrating moments in Book 2 worth it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

It's entirely possible I just have really bad taste and am justifying my opinion being better than other peoples' opinions for contrived reasons to make myself feel better.

It's this :)

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if (and hope) people will stop making GBS threads on Korra and praising ATLA as better than it once time has passed.

I hope people change their opinions to line up with mine too. I'm too insecure to like something without a whole group of vocal people saying it's great.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Which one?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The latter~

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Bummer.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also just gonna put it out there, but the vibe I get from your posting about rewatching TLA is that you're essentially watching it solely to look for flaws and to confirm to yourself that Korra really is a better show and that really is not conducive at all to enjoying it.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

I started rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender and holy poo poo is this show much worse than I remembered it being.
The first season was very rough and inconsistent but had a great finale (all three had those, honestly). The second one was amazing all around. And the third one had great moments interspersed with awkward humor and some of the sappiest moments I've ever witnessed in either show.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also just gonna put it out there, but the vibe I get from your posting about rewatching TLA is that you're essentially watching it solely to look for flaws and to confirm to yourself that Korra really is a better show and that really is not conducive at all to enjoying it.

This is pretty paranoid reasoning. I was watching it because I wanted more Avatar than I was getting once per week.

I'm sorry I'm not enjoying the show as much the second time around and that this apparently hurts your feelings.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

This episode, she finally gets into a fight with Su, but she doesn't win. Su and her are, roughly, evenly matched, maybe, because Su eventually retreats when it becomes clear that they're outnumbered. It still doesn't really show Kuvira as a threat, other then it's better she fought evenly with Su instead of Lin, whose been a chump for the majority of the series.
Kuvira won rather decisively against Su, who had to be bailed out by her sons.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Toph is a jerk for not remembering Team Avatar getting bailed out by the White Lotus.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Toph is a jerk in general. She has been since the original series. And it's great.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Sharmat posted:

This is pretty paranoid reasoning. I was watching it because I wanted more Avatar than I was getting once per week.

I'm sorry I'm not enjoying the show as much the second time around and that this apparently hurts your feelings.

Well it's important to remember that when ATLA was first aired they only got a contract for 13 episodes, so Mike & Bryan were playing it safe and aiming the series for the kiddie market for most of Season 1. The Blue Spirit (what would've been the last episode) was their attempt to be bold and "go out with a bang" if their contract wasn't renewed.

But then ATLA became a huge hit and they got more freedom to go big, which is why Seasons 2 and 3 were more mature as far as the seasons went.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I remember it getting much better later, these first ten episodes or so are just much rougher than I remembered.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Stallion Cabana posted:

People in the show keep acting like Kuvira beat Korra in their duel, but actually watching it, that's not what happened at all. Kuvira might have had a slight advantage before Korra went into the Avatar State, but once she did, Korra demolished her without any trouble. The only reason she lost was due to a freak out, and that had only happened after she had already very clearly beaten Kuvira. Trying to sell that as Korra losing is ridiculous because she only lost in the most absolutely technical of ways, and even that had nothing to do with Kuvira's own abilities.

That's kind of the point of the avatar state. Once Aang went into the Avatar state he chumped Ozai without any trouble even with the comet backing her up. Losing to an Avatar in the Avatar state is not a good argument for saying they are not a credible threat.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

dude789 posted:

That's kind of the point of the avatar state. Once Aang went into the Avatar state he chumped Ozai without any trouble even with the comet backing her up. Losing to an Avatar in the Avatar state is not a good argument for saying they are not a credible threat.

That's what I mean though. There's no reason for people to be saying she 'lost' to Kuvira and losing faith in her. She freaked out but she was absolutely crushing Kuvira, and honestly she won. Anyone else in that scene could have 'taken her out' after Korra finished thrashing her like a Rag Doll. They just didn't.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The freak out is reason to lose faith in her honestly.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Sharmat posted:

The freak out is reason to lose faith in her honestly.

Yeah. I'm not arguing there's not a case to be made that they should go 'maybe this was a bad idea when she freaks out', but pretending it's because she lost to Kuvira or the show trying to sell that is what gets me. No one has talked about her freakout, just that she 'lost' a fight she didn't actually lose.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She did lose the fight though. The fact that she lost the fight because of internal mental issues doesn't change the fact that she lost.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

especially with Zaheer saying that Korra's power is limitless when she's using the Avatar State. Hell in season 1 Yakone had every dead to rights with his psychic bloodbending until Aang went AS and completely wrecked him. It was stated in the season 1 thread for Korra and it remains the same, complete conscious access to the Avatar State is an I Win button.

Also regarding AtLA, which episode introduced Aang's spinning marble trick?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Warriors of kyoshi

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I also have been rewatching ATLA and I think it does what it set to do better than Korra. Opinions man. :shrug:

I just finished the first season and I think the only episodes to skip are:

Jet - It sets up the character for his later return but eh. :shrug:
The Great Divide - No comments
The Fortuneteller - It's mostly Aang/Katara shipping plus life hating Sokka and little else. There's a lot of both in the rest of the series.
The Northern Air Temple - Air temple is repurposed, the end. The last 5 seconds gives air power to the Fire Nation but by the time that's relevant you'll probably have forgotten about it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

I also have been rewatching ATLA and I think it does what it set to do better than Korra. Opinions man. :shrug:

Jet has a kickass fight scene though, and this is a show where the best things are the fight scenes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I had completely forgotten until I rewatched it that Jet actually beat Aang in a fight in that episode. And Jet isn't even a bender. A non-bender beat the Avatar in a one-on-one.

So yeah technically Jet is the most badass character in the entire series.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

gmq posted:

The Northern Air Temple - Air temple is repurposed, the end. The last 5 seconds gives air power to the Fire Nation but by the time that's relevant you'll probably have forgotten about it.

But it also introduces wacky science guy and the fire nation tanks!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jet was amazing because it features hook-swords. When I was studying Wu Shu I was like, one belt away from getting to do hook swords before I quit.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Sharmat posted:

She did lose the fight though. The fact that she lost the fight because of internal mental issues doesn't change the fact that she lost.

It actually changes a lot though.

It's like if someone wins a boxing match because their opponent has a stroke.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

gmq posted:

The Great Divide - No comments
The Fortuneteller - It's mostly Aang/Katara shipping plus life hating Sokka and little else. There's a lot of both in the rest of the series.

I came to check up on Korra with this thread because I got into ATLA from these threads back in 07 or whatever, and I just started rewatching ATLA with my 4 year old son. For the record, he loving loves it and I find that watching it with him gives me a whole new appreciation for Aang since I look at Aang and I just see this little kid, just like my kid. (My husband can't watch a single episode without crying because he conflates Aang with our son a bit too much.) I appreciate the show a whole lot more now that I'm a parent than I did when it first aired. I even loved the third season way, WAY more than I did when I first saw the show in my early twenties, and the deus ex of Aang not killing Ozai was frankly a pretty good rear end-pull for kids since while it was out of left field for us older folks it's a great way of thinking outside the box for the younguns. I also like that I can watch the whole thing with the kid and not have to cut some stuff out.

That said, yeah, those episodes can be skipped without much loss, except I liked Jet because it was one of the earlier episodes that introduced the gray areas of the show. It's also one of the first episodes where Sokka demonstrates his problem-solving abilities. Sokka is my kid's favorite because "he's funny." :3:

I have to say that I don't think the underlying messages of Korra, especially the unintentional ones it gave off during S1 regarding benders vs non-benders, are good for kids. I'm really admiring ATLA for it's themes and the way the story makes my son think about good and evil. Korra doesn't have the same stuff, imo... but I'm looking forward to watching the whole thing once it's over.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure I would have hated the Aang vs. Ozai asspull as a kid too because I always wondered why they didn't just kill the Joker instead of putting him in Arkham Asylum all the time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Sharmat posted:

I'm pretty sure I would have hated the Aang vs. Ozai asspull as a kid too because I always wondered why they didn't just kill the Joker instead of putting him in Arkham Asylum all the time.
What if Batman could make the Joker sane by touching him though

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At the risk of making Batman insane? (Or, well, more insane)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

while The Fortuneteller is definitely skip able it has one of my favourite Sokka exchanges:

:smug: "Well can your science explain why it rains?"

:argh: "YES. Yes it can!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Here is the answer:

Because outside of the constraints of the stupid serialized fiction of comic books, there is absolutely no reason why imprisoning someone isn't a valid option. There is no reason you should be asking this question.

• Locked thread