Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

I don't think you meant anything by it, but this question is personal. I can't properly explain it without delving into the details of my life. But, I will try to share a more abstract form.

I lost faith because, like every other atheist, I became convinced it was a bunch of nonsense and that I'd been duped.

I regained my faith, many years later, because I found life as an atheist spiritually unfulfilling.

But you saw the light! :allears:

If you went into atheism expecting spiritualism, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you had a spiritual need, why become an Atheist in the first place?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Snark posted:

On that last one, you're getting closer to it with Christianity. Disregard the New Testament and you're pretty much there.

Also if there was nothing to the Bible I would have thought fewer other religions would have written their own sequels.

People do not simply become Jews. Their religion is racial in nature.

And I reject the notion that Christianity is the "sequel" to Judaism and that Judaism is "older" or more accurate. Everything that is in Judaism is also in Christianity. We also have Moses. But we have Christ as well. To us, the Jews are an aberrant sect that rejects the Christ and emphasizes racial purity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Mormons feel the same way about protestants and Catholics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

People do not simply become Jews. Their religion is racial in nature.

Ummmmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_to_Judaism

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Incorrect. There are very few, if any, skulls in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

To us, the Jews are an aberrant sect that rejects the Christ and emphasizes racial purity.

Jebus: So awesome he went back in time to found Christianity before Judaism. :beck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThirdPartyView posted:

Jebus: So awesome he went back in time to found Christianity before Judaism. :beck:

But see, its RACE thing. Jesus had to get the Delorean and go back in time to found the religion.

That burning bush? That was him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

I think he is actually arguing that Christianity is real Judaism and Post-Christ Judaism is a heretical sect.

It makes sense but is still a bit batshit insane.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I believe there is an argument to be made for Erwin Rommel as Khorne's greatest prophet. He was a general who did not sit idly in his tent making plans, but one who led from the front as all great warriors should. And not only was his skill in battle great enough to earn respect from ally and foe alike; but he was aware that although it may be pleasing to slaughter the entirety of the opposing forces, to do so means that the enemy will be able to bring forth no new soldiers. Bloodshed which is vast but brief cannot honor Khorne nearly so much as a flow that, albeit lesser, remains unstaunched for all eternity.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not correct. Judaism as we know it did not exist until Christ. Judaism is a reaction to Christ, those who preferred the letter of the law and racial purity over the true religious teachings of God. Christianity is the continuous unbroken line from the beginning. When Christ came, he fulfilled all of the prophesies, and Judaism is basically a group of people who are in denial of this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Not correct. Judaism as we know it did not exist until Christ. Judaism is a reaction to Christ, those who preferred the letter of the law and racial purity over the true religious teachings of God. Christianity is the continuous unbroken line from the beginning. When Christ came, he fulfilled all of the prophesies, and Judaism is basically a group of people who are in denial of this.

Oh, now THAT is bullshit.

For someone that says everyone is wrong about his religion, you sure are good at being wrong about other people's faiths.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 6, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Tracer posted:

the whore-pretender requires festivals of debauchery.

Your bigotry makes me...uh, not sick cause such distate is due only to the ugly Plaguefather, not, um, angry cause that's such a simple, blunt emotion, fit only for the animal Khorne...let's just say I find it beguiling. I pray that one day you'll see a booty so fine, you will throw yourself into festivals of debauchery, and drunk on the erotonarcotics of Prince/Principessa of Pleasure, you'll turn to an obsidian mirror in the oubliette of bliss and find yourself there reflected, a wretch whore crawling to tune of the of the Dark Princess/Prince, dancing in the train of That which you once despised, and reveling in it.

Indeed, what has this thread been but a twisted choir of madly crafted words, the sonorous babbling hymns of mortal souls chasing redemptive perfection? This thread has been dedicated to Slaanesh since the first post :smuggo:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

So you're saying all the ancient Jews, were actually Christians, and that modern Jews, exist as a sort of reverse denial of Christianity.

Have you ever, like, spoken to a Jew in person?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

So you're saying all the ancient Jews, were actually Christians, and that modern Jews, exist as a sort of reverse denial of Christianity.

Have you ever, like, spoken to a Jew in person?

That is what I am saying. And yes, although I don't see how that's relevant. Do you have a point to make?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Still not seeing nearly enough skulls to satisfy either a follower of the Emperor, or of the tainted ones. Seriously son, I'm talkin' skulls all over the drat place. Like, this right here?

This is a sufficient amount of skulls to have. Now, having said that, watch some Khorne-freak bust out daddy's special chair and act like it's all superior just because it has more skulls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

That is what I am saying. And yes, although I don't see how that's relevant. Do you have a point to make?
My point is that your understanding of Judaism is pretty lovely, and appears to completely ignore what the Jews have to say.

Now if your point is that you don't actually need to even consider how people in a religion live that religion, experience it, their discussions amongst themselves, and so forth, because you have the truth - well, you can certainly hold that perspective. However, in turn you should perhaps not object when other people, ignorant of the fine details of your religion, make sweeping and incorrect statements about it.

your next statement will be 'the difference is my religion is true.' joseph joestar is god

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

My point is that your understanding of Judaism is pretty lovely, and appears to completely ignore what the Jews have to say.

Now if your point is that you don't actually need to even consider how people in a religion live that religion, experience it, their discussions amongst themselves, and so forth, because you have the truth - well, you can certainly hold that perspective. However, in turn you should perhaps not object when other people, ignorant of the fine details of your religion, make sweeping and incorrect statements about it.

your next statement will be 'the difference is my religion is true.' joseph joestar is god

Again, you completely fail to make a counterpoint. Of course Jews have a different view of it than Christians. But I am a Christian, and this is my view.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Kyrie eleison posted:

Not correct. Judaism as we know it did not exist until Christ.

Congratulations, you have lost your goddamn mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Again, you completely fail to make a counterpoint. Of course Jews have a different view of it than Christians. But I am a Christian, and this is my view.

So, ignore actual written history and accept only your point of view.

You're loving high.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
This shouldn't be controversial to anyone who knows the basics of Christian theology. Christians are the true religious descendants of the ancient Israelites, and Jews are a faction of Israelites that rejected the Christ, who was God. This is fundamental and basic to Christianity. Have you ever talked to a Christian before?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

This shouldn't be controversial to anyone who knows the basics of Christian theology. Christians are the true religious descendants of the ancient Israelites, and Jews are a faction of Israelites that rejected the Christ, who was God. This is fundamental and basic to Christianity. Have you ever talked to a Christian before?

The Israelites existed before Christ in both name and theology. You threw their entire history under the bus because your religion is 'superior'

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

The Israelites existed before Christ in both name and theology. You threw their entire history under the bus because your religion is 'superior'

Christians are the Israelites.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus is actually really cool imho.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Christians are the Israelites.

So you say. That doesn't make that correct. The Israelites, however, are strictly Sematic.

You don't get that title. You have to be Hebrew/Jewish to be an Israelite. You are not.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

So you say. That doesn't make that correct. The Israelites, however, are strictly Sematic.

You don't get that title.

So you're saying the true definition of an Israelite is not someone who follows the one true God, but rather someone who has a certain racial heritage?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

So you're saying the true definition of an Israelite is not someone who follows the one true God, but rather someone who has a certain racial heritage?

Religious Heritage. Which I also pointed out earlier you can convert to. If it was racial, there would be no conversion process.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Acquire Currency! posted:

Jesus is actually really cool imho.

He brings me fresh tacos every Tuesday at the office, so :agreed:.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Religious Heritage. Which I also pointed out earlier you can convert to. If it was racial, there would be no conversion process.

You said "Sematic", by which you presumably meant "semitic", which is a racial category. Basically, you believe that God's people are a racial tribe and not the loyal followers of his Word irrespective of race.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kyrie eleison posted:

First off, Jews follow the same God as Christians and Muslims. You don't get to say that they don't follow the same God as you. Second,

Kyrie eleison posted:

But I am a Christian, and this is my view.

sure, that's your view. But in D&D, you have to give argument in support of your view. Otherwise it's pointless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

You said "Sematic", by which you presumably meant "semitic", which is a racial category. Basically, you believe that God's people are a racial tribe and not the loyal followers of his Word irrespective of race.

At one time it was a racial thing, however, the Israelite term specifically denotes Judaism as the religion, not the race. You can convert to Judaism (I posted a link) and become a fully fledged Israelite member!

Keep up here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

As I did grow up with Christianity, this is pretty foreign.

They treated Judaism as its own thing, that Christianity would first build upon, then spiral out of.

As you remember, Christianity started out with the racial component, which was a hotly discussed topic in the early church.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

On what basis do you make your statement that the Jewish religion was fundamentally the same religion as modern Christianity (presumably Catholic) and that modern Judaism is essentially an anti-Christian sect?

Here let's break it down.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Judaism as we know it did not exist until Christ.
There is the possibility here that you are confusing the shift of Judaism as the religion of this particular patch of land, which could be called Israel, Judea, etc, to the religion of wandering groups who moved throughout the general Eurasian landmass, which is what it has been in recent historical memory, and still arguably is. You can argue Jesus saw this coming, but the historical event here was the uprising in Judea and the loss of the Temple, which is still felt to this day.

However, while these two events were near each other (I believe Christ's crucifixion is held to have occured somewhere around 30-35 AD? and the Temple fell in 70 AD) they were not directly related in the conventional sense.

quote:

Judaism is a reaction to Christ, those who preferred the letter of the law and racial purity over the true religious teachings of God.
It is true that Judaism has often defined itself in comparison to those around it, and you can interpret part of the outcome of many of the Jewish ritual laws as setting themselves distinct from the people among them. However, Judaism has always been open to conversion - it is discouraged not because they don't want the outlanders in the society, but because becoming a Jew involves a much greater burden of observance, and as such a well-meaning Gentile who likes the Jews might innocently wish to join them, not fully comprehending the burden of the mitzvot.

Now, are there racist Jews in the modern day? Certainly. But if racist actions on the part of modern Jews represents a fundamental flaw in Judaism, does it not seem as though questionable actions done by the Roman Catholic Church, or the Catholic community, would represent a fundamental flaw in Catholic teaching?

quote:

Christianity is the continuous unbroken line from the beginning.
Oh? If this is the case, why don't you keep kosher? Or do you say that all those religious laws were just, you know, made up stuff, or temporary or whatever. Similarly, would this not require the Jews to have had some kind of vision of trinitarianism, which they do not? For that matter, why did the Jews not have a Pope, or bishops, or communion if the religion is the same from the beginning?

quote:

When Christ came, he fulfilled all of the prophesies, and Judaism is basically a group of people who are in denial of this.
In the sense that Jews disagree that Christ fulfilled these prophecies, yes, I suppose this is literally the case, but your construction here suggests that Jews are actively ignoring the obvious blatant truth of your specific religion, instead of, you know, disagreeing. Do you think Muslims are in denial of the truth of the Trinity, too?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nessus posted:

In the sense that Jews disagree that Christ fulfilled these prophecies, yes, I suppose this is literally the case, but your construction here suggests that Jews are actively ignoring the obvious blatant truth of your specific religion, instead of, you know, disagreeing. Do you think Muslims are in denial of the truth of the Trinity, too?

He's claimed, variously, that pretty much everyone that isn't exactly his brand of doctrinaire Catholic knows for realsies that they're wrong and he's right, but all reject what they know to be true out of sinful pigheadedness or whatever. For Kyrie, there cannot be honest disagreement because, in his feverish delusions, the Truth is so goddamn obvious and undeniable that to hear it is to know it for a fact.

Now, what I'm curious about is this: what is his, and your, position on skulls as ornament?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's claimed, variously, that pretty much everyone that isn't exactly his brand of doctrinaire Catholic knows for realsies that they're wrong and he's right, but all reject what they know to be true out of sinful pigheadedness or whatever. For Kyrie, there cannot be honest disagreement because, in his feverish delusions, the Truth is so goddamn obvious and undeniable that to hear it is to know it for a fact.

Now, what I'm curious about is this: what is his, and your, position on skulls as ornament?
I think a skull makes an excellent ornament, but be sure nobody else has dibs on it - there's no need to be impolite.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I think a skull makes an excellent ornament, but be sure nobody else has dibs on it - there's no need to be impolite.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
There is only one god and his name is Jibbers Crabst.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I've always been intrigued by the ossuaries. Which one is that? It's not Sedlec, I don't see the chandelier.

edit: Czermna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prism posted:

I've always been intrigued by the ossuaries. Which one is that? It's not Sedlec, I don't see the chandelier.

edit: Czermna?

Czermna Chapel in Poland. The bones are from the 30 Years Wars and Silesian Wars in 1176

E: You got it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_Chapel,_Czermna

• Locked thread