Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

What is even the point of making a JRPG if you're not going all out on fashion disasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

plenty, only ff/square goes all out with the eclectic designs for the most part

really i dont get the obsession over looking practical. interesting/distinct and not really dumb is all i really care about
Yeah. The problem with, say, that dude from FFTA2's outfit isn't that it's 'unrealistic' or 'impractical,' it's that it's poorly designed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Final Fantasy 7 and 8 had not that crazy of clothing. Cloud was just in a uniform, barret had pretty normal outfits. Tifa was just shorts and a tank top, and then some reason suspenders. Squall, Zeke, Seistis and Rinoa had rather normal clothing as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand FF7 had whatever Yuffie's outfit was

I mean a sweater and shorts doesnt scream ninja to me but sure, but I still don't know what that thing on her arm was.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Sui
Ko
Den
Two
On Vita

Out next week too. Next week.

Excuse me while I go change my pants.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

The Last Story.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember this picture of every protagonist from every single Tales games and it was comparing how practical their outfits were.
Using a belt-o-meter.

EDIT: Found it.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

I remember this picture of every protagonist from every single Tales games and it was comparing how practical their outfits were.
Using a belt-o-meter.
Luke's outfit only has one belt, but it also completely exposes his stomach.

To be fair his abs are rock hard.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

HGH posted:

Using a belt-o-meter.

Tales of the Abyss is really weird in this because generally the outfits are relatively simple and you can see how a person would be able to put them on...except for the main character.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Was he not a rich aristocrat though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Was he not a rich aristocrat though?
Yeah but his outfit wasn't fancy, it was just... weird.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah but his outfit wasn't fancy, it was just... weird.

if i had luke's abs i would never wear an article of clothing that doesn't show them off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

if i had luke's abs i would never wear an article of clothing that doesn't show them off
point

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
one of the characters is named shing meteoryte

what the heck

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

what the heck

they renamed him Kor Meteor

not any better really, lol

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

they renamed him Kor Meteor

not any better really, lol

Especially when you consider "Cor!" is a British variation of shouting "Cool!" when something impresses you. So his name sounds like parents were fascinated by a passing meteor when the doctors were asking what to put on his birth certificate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am obligated to inquire as to the opinions on the outfits of the Xenogears cast. It's the one topic about it that hasn't been discussed to death or even berated to death.

(not featured; Rico. Because he sucks. Or rather because Xeno Wiki didn't have a picture of his full body)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I am obligated to inquire as to the opinions on the outfits of the Xenogears cast. It's the one topic about it that hasn't been discussed to death or even berated to death.

So do the rest of the characters fight over who gets to stand behind her whenever she drops something?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really wonder what they used to influence the outfit design

shame we won't see this kind of designs again though, the direction xeno series moves in now is very distant from those outfits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

i really wonder what they used to influence the outfit design

shame we won't see this kind of designs again though, the direction xeno series moves in now is very distant from those outfits.

They're all references to some degree or another to various martial arts/kung-fu movies or anime. I saw a really nice lineup of comparisons a long time ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I never played the xenos but the designs look cool. I'm a sucker for asian-inspired designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

what the heck
shing meteoryte isn't even the worst/best name in tales of hearts

that belongs to ultra marine

first name ultra, last name marine

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

(I haven't played Xenogears and I barely know anything about it)

12th century chinese martial artist stepped into a time-warp

please wear pants

idiot

owns

uuuh, sure why not

kinda cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

(I haven't played Xenogears and I barely know anything about it)

12th century chinese martial artist stepped into a time-warp

please wear pants

idiot

owns

uuuh, sure why not

kinda cool

i have played xenogears and i agree with all of these

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Ultra Marine sounds like a name someone would give to a half-retarded pet narwhal.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 7, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bought ff13-3

its pretty fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

bought ff13-3

its pretty fun

Get the pumpkin head accessory as soon as you can. It is required for optimal enjoyment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think having a time limit isn't bad since it means they don't pad it out to 100 hours, also the combat is good

Also, the story is so bad enough to be funny, which is an improvement over ff13 which was just boring

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

i have played xenogears and i agree with all of these

same except elhaym should never wear pants

bought ff13-3

its pretty fun

i was gonna play this soon, i picked it up on sale. good to hear its fun at least

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Get the pumpkin head accessory as soon as you can. It is required for optimal enjoyment.
What about the armor where Lightning just straps a bunch of moogles to herself?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Squall, Zeke, Seistis and Rinoa

Ehh, close enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

What about the armor where Lightning just straps a bunch of moogles to herself?

I think that is DLC and so I can't really recommend it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Someone mentioned Langrisser IV a few pages ago, mentioned that it has a fan translation now so all us nerds could play it if we wanted. I'm wondering if anyone has played it? Aesthetically it looks like the kind of thing I very much like and seems to have some interesting gameplay. From what I can tell it has some sort of war combat a bit like Suikoden II, anime as heck character portraits and very classic 16-32 bit sprites and maps. It ticks boxes for me but it could still be very bad, I just don't know

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Endorph posted:

shing meteoryte isn't even the worst/best name in tales of hearts

that belongs to ultra marine

first name ultra, last name marine

To be fair, it's mainly to fit in to the whole weird naming theme. Everyone has a stone or mineral related name, including the person from another universe called "Gall".

Assuming Aqua Marine was the first one to be designed, Ultramarine is a dye made from lapis lazuli, so Ultra fits in with the whole "everyone needs some sort of rock related name". Doesn't make it any less stupid though.

bought ff13-3

its pretty fun

I personally enjoyed using the Luigi Strife outfit.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

Someone mentioned Langrisser IV a few pages ago, mentioned that it has a fan translation now so all us nerds could play it if we wanted. I'm wondering if anyone has played it? Aesthetically it looks like the kind of thing I very much like and seems to have some interesting gameplay. From what I can tell it has some sort of war combat a bit like Suikoden II, anime as heck character portraits and very classic 16-32 bit sprites and maps. It ticks boxes for me but it could still be very bad, I just don't know

Apparently the version with the translation (PSX) took its battle engine from Langrisser V rather than use the one from the Sega Saturn version and tried to fit them into maps that aren't compatible with said engine only for the difficulty curve and stuff to go outta whack.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

It's quite good. The portraits are extremely anime, which is a weird change from the first few games, but it's interesting because the Langrisser games specialize in SRPG with heroes AND lots of units -- each hero can hire certain units, and you can set them to follow and defend your hero. This means you can move across the map easily and then control them manually in difficult situations.

Pro tip: killing an enemy hero removes his units, but actually killing them before the hero nets you more exp overall. So you have to plan accordingly. Good game design. The turn times can be slow though so if you're emulating you might want to fast forward through those.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

It's pretty unique among strategy RPGs, to be honest. It's a weird combination of Advance Wars mechanics (disposable units, damage depends on number of units left) and Fire Emblem mechanics without the permadeath. You deploy your hero units with some number of generic army units, your hero has a leadership radius that raises the stats of their own generic units standing inside. There's a rock-paper-scissors element and a good deal of customization with heroes going through several class change options.

I like it a lot but I'm a big weirdo who loves SRPGs so you'll probably have to play it yourself to get an idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's hilarious that in ff13-3 hope is a kid again, for literally no reason

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Agnostalgia posted:

Ehh, close enough.

I've been playing too many final fantasies I'm just jumbling up all the sorts of names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I think that is DLC and so I can't really recommend it.
Oh well then.