Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I always just used an axe. :shrug:

mostly my point was that it made no actual sense for a thing that can slowly but surely dig holes or cut down trees to take what was legit upwards of a couple minutes to cut a single vine

given that they eventually relented and agreed that maybe having the matter manipulator be worth half a poo poo would be good for the game most all i can do is laugh at the goony fucks who were really adamant about players absolutely needing to whip out the trusty sharpened rock on a stick to do something that apparently a goddamn laser can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

AceClown posted:

probably be even easier to just play something else that is actually fun, pretty much any other game ever made

even bad rats
not bad rats, never bad rats.

But you're not wrong.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

oddium posted:

"This game is bad" - me

"Throw me a bone, game development is ruff" - dog dev

":shobon:" - me

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The win in this thread is reaching critical mass

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

The win in this thread is reaching critical mass

Would you say it's almost epic?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Slime posted:

Would you say it's almost epic?

I would say it's epic, my friend.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Hey... Have I told you about ... Star bound ? :smugmrgw:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hey... Have I told you about ... Star bound ? :smugmrgw:

No, but tell me, Who is this "4 Chan" !?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

You know, this game would be really good if it was just Space-Terraria in Space.

I guess I'll just have to wait for Terraria 2 :(

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This game is verry fun and worth my 15 bucks

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

What game?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Rrussom posted:

No, but tell me, Who is this "4 Chan" !?

Doesn't exist... Reminds me of something else

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The best part of the horrible mess that is Starbound is that it has spawned a few knockoffs/similar games that may also one day have threads full of hilarious shitposting, like Interstellaria. I hope that one day it is as poo poo as Starbound.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope one of them gets it right at least, because that's a game I want to play.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Please do not troll here.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

its funny that those knockoff games have accomplished as much as starbound has in the year since its release than starbound has in the 3 years its been worked on
but dont worry starbound devs have ALMOST figured out basic game play aspects like movement and mana

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 7, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Turns out we actually just like getting drunk and playing video games.. Not actually making them, too bad it took all your money for us to figure that out. Cya later poo poo lords!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Koobze posted:

like Interstellaria.
My first thought was "holy poo poo what an ugly and unappealing UI" but then I looked at the rest of the screenshots and was relieved to see that the entire game is that ugly so at least they're consistent.

Kly posted:

its funny that those knockoff games have accomplished as much as starbound
Nope.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

My first thought was "holy poo poo what an ugly and unappealing UI" but then I looked at the rest of the screenshots and was relieved to see that the entire game is that ugly so at least they're consistent.

Nope.

Seriously, at least interstellaria seems to have some kind of progression other than grind material, get good poo poo, move to new level and start again.

For a more similar game look at Signs of Life.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Koobze posted:

Seriously, at least interstellaria seems to have some kind of progression other than grind material, get good poo poo, move to new level and start again.

Interstellaria is like one guy, he posts in some of the game dev / making games threads here as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Koobze posted:

I'm mostly seeing tech demos so far, so maybe I'm biased. Also really not liking the art style, the limited palette especially is really visually grating.

That said the idea of having a full crew is really great and Starbound would have really benefited from that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Doesn't the Signs of Life guy post here as well?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tres Burritos posted:

Interstellaria is like one guy, he posts in some of the game dev / making games threads here as well.

Jackard posted:

Then I guess they are already familiar with the shitposts they can expect if they gently caress it up. That simplifies things greatly and maybe we can skip the circlejerk part?

Hopefully when the legions of derpy goons (like me) buy into the early access, both dev teams will relocate to Gold Mountain and sleep on bags of cocaine instead of mattresses.

Koobze fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jackard posted:

There's a thread, actually. Right here!
It looks like Archer in space, and generates consistently amazing gifs. Also, chicken murder.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I'm mostly seeing tech demos so far, so maybe I'm biased. Also really not liking the art style, the limited palette especially is really visually grating.

That said the idea of having a full crew is really great and Starbound would have really benefited from that.

I like to think of Starbound as a sort of existential game. It defines its own rules, its own reason for being. You can't apply labels to it, it is quicksilver, it changes form from day to day! Perhaps one day it will decide to be a stable release, but today is not that day. Today it wants to fire weapons slowly.

(seriously, are they actually getting value out of the nightlies? is there a giant community playing those?)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

victrix posted:

I like to think of Starbound as a sort of existential game. It defines its own rules, its own reason for being. You can't apply labels to it, it is quicksilver, it changes form from day to day! Perhaps one day it will decide to be a stable release, but today is not that day. Today it wants to fire weapons slowly.

(seriously, are they actually getting value out of the nightlies? is there a giant community playing those?)

Nope, they're not really any good to play and almost no one plays them. There's a very small amount of people who test them and provide feedback, but mostly it's a PR thing to let people sample the updates without Chucklefish needing to actually put any real effort or time into making an update.

It helps, a little bit. It seems like most of the community is ok waiting. On the subreddit, a post just titled "Keep at it guys! A lot of us believe in you 100%" got hundreds of upvotes, the most support of any post in the past 10 months. But after 8 months without an update and no date in sight, no matter what you do people are gonna get rightfully tired of waiting.

So yeah the nightlies do seem to be giving them value, that being to convince people (or trick them, depending on your PoV) that development is still healthy.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still sort of interested in that one game I used in a brutal shitpost a while ago, even though I'm not following it or can even remember the name.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

oddium posted:

Supernorn spin this. Supernorn spin the eggs

:fireman:

Spin what? Ever since Xboxpants posted all those posts I have stopped reading due to all the OUYA thread flashbacks.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
In retrospect, the entire development process of Starbound has been a huge loving red flag that most of us ignored because the game sounded awesome. It was announced in May 2012 and the original release date was "end of summer 2012." That seemed a little rushed at the time, but Terraria took all of 3 months to make so 9 or 10 months to make a similar game that was larger in scope with a larger team seemed doable. Starbound's design has not changed in size or scope at all since the original announcement. More than two years after the originally proposed release date, and more than a year after the game being thrown on Early Access to appease the fans, we may get an unstable update to Phase 1 (of 3!) of the beta, the first in 8 months.

They don't have a loving clue what they're doing; they're just flailing around at random hoping that whatever changes they make that day receive more positive feedback than negative.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Preem Palver posted:

In retrospect, the entire development process of Starbound has been a huge loving red flag that most of us ignored because the game sounded awesome. It was announced in May 2012 and the original release date was "end of summer 2012." That seemed a little rushed at the time, but Terraria took all of 3 months to make so 9 or 10 months to make a similar game that was larger in scope with a larger team seemed doable. Starbound's design has not changed in size or scope at all since the original announcement. More than two years after the originally proposed release date, and more than a year after the game being thrown on Early Access to appease the fans, we may get an unstable update to Phase 1 (of 3!) of the beta, the first in 8 months.

They don't have a loving clue what they're doing; they're just flailing around at random hoping that whatever changes they make that day receive more positive feedback than negative.

Are you saying Terraria was created in 3 months from scratch? That is hilarious.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Are you saying Terraria was created in 3 months from scratch? That is hilarious.

Sorry, it was 4. January-May 2011. It was released early due to the beta leaking, and at release it had around a quarter of the content it does now. The fact that Terraria's content has expanded several times over and has even had entirely new gameplay systems added by a smaller development team that has taken months-long breaks between updates does not help Chucklefish's case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The Terraria that was originally released would be like if Starbound came out and had only the starting planet, a bunch of random ores in it, and combat was even more broken. Sure it also had fun things like being able to place torches underwater but even today that game has some serious QoL issues.

The only real break the Terraria team took was when the guy decided the game was 'done' and stopped working on it to relax with his family. Even then the PS3 version was developed by another studio as was some of the new content so even at the time of that announcement he may have been negotiating that deal. Bashing Starbound because it hasn't put out a stable for a long time is one thing, but you're just making poo poo out about Terraria, the game that launched (early or not) with edited Final Fantasy sprites as characters.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Never forget Butz.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Terraria that leaked and was released early had the dungeon, hell, meteor spawns, skylands, a ton of equipment and weapons, and the three "main" bosses

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

oddium posted:

skylands
Those weren't any different from the rest of the surface at release.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Not any different except they had baller treasure and were sweet as h*ck to discover through meteor shot echolocation

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

oddium posted:

Not any different except they had baller treasure and were sweet as h*ck to discover through meteor shot echolocation

Which now you can't get unless you find those drat golden keys. I used to go straight to them to get a Horseshoe to reduce my chances of dying to falling death.

By the way, this thread has made me start playing Terraria again!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

You don't need keys again since 1.2 friend, but there are some rude monsters up there now

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

harpies with machine gun feathers. I usally build an IJA type tunnel system in the island itself to avoid getting cut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

:fireman:

Spin what? Ever since Xboxpants posted all those posts I have stopped reading due to all the OUYA thread flashbacks.

You do realize you're the OUYA in this scenario right.

• Locked thread