Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Is there any way to increase joystick sensitivity in this game? Because using an Xbox 360 controller, I'm pushing fully down+left on the stick, but Isaac moves significantly slower than he does when I press down+left on the keyboard. I'd settle for a way to increase it outside the game, frankly - the only controller options I can find in Windows 7 are a useless turd of an automatic calibration tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

pumpinglemma posted:

Is there any way to increase joystick sensitivity in this game? Because using an Xbox 360 controller, I'm pushing fully down+left on the stick, but Isaac moves significantly slower than he does when I press down+left on the keyboard. I'd settle for a way to increase it outside the game, frankly - the only controller options I can find in Windows 7 are a useless turd of an automatic calibration tool.

Do you have this problem in other games as well?
Because I think it may be a problem with your gamepad. I have no such issues using my own X360 controller. Maybe you'll want to try another one you can borrow from a friend or something, just to be sure it's not a hardware issue.

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Joining the cool kids' club.

Hours played: 117
Mom kills: 75
Deaths: 159
Deaths not counting the Lost: 37
Times found holy mantle as the Lost: 0
Last achievement unlocked: The Cellar

The Lost,yay or nay? I'm not really sure... it's a curious mixture of refreshing and infuriating difficulty.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AndroidHub posted:

I would suggest using the starting items script to give The Lost dead cat or holy mantle (or both) to start with if you're having a lot of trouble, I would have done this if I learned about it before I smashed my head against the game till I found dead cat enough to win normally. I mean, you'll still die a lot, but it gives you a stepping stone so that when you do get a good run going a single mistake doesn't throw it down the drain.

Do you have a link to this? Or the build your own challenge thing? I really want to try a few runs where you start with the D100.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
As soon as I complained about it, the game dumped a bunch of damage up items on me on my next try. :v: So I guess Dr. Fetus can be a good item, you just can't pick it up early. What a shame, it was my favorite item in the original. Does Dr. Fetus not rig the item pool anymore?

I would be kind of fine with The Lost if the "gently caress you, here's some free damage" rooms didn't exist. Oh, and if bosses didn't have nearly untelegraphed attacks, like Mega Fatty's stomp and the Haunt. I see why everyone hates that thing now. Also, gently caress spiders. Especially those hopping ones. Also, what am I supposed to do in rooms where it's crowded and there's a bunch of Mullibooms and spiders? :argh:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Which bosses actually have untelegraphed attacks though?

I mean the haunt maybe but I think there's a short delay where he holds his mouth open before he fires the beam, and regardless, you don't ever need to actually face the haunt head on where the brimstone could hit you, you always want to lead him on slightly so that your tears connect with him and his don't with you.

With mega fatty the position of his shadow when he jumps is the tell, if the shadow moves towards you it's a quick jump, otherwise it's the slow jump.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Which bosses actually have untelegraphed attacks though?

I mean the haunt maybe but I think there's a short delay where he holds his mouth open before he fires the beam, and regardless, you don't ever need to actually face the haunt head on where the brimstone could hit you, you always want to lead him on slightly so that your tears connect with him and his don't with you.

The Haunt absolutely telegraphs the beam, his expression changes, it's easy to move out of the way. I don't think he telegraphs the projectiles, you just have to stand back enough to dodge. He certainly doesn't telegraph charging from side to side, but there's an easy fix for that: don't attack him from the side. He's a pretty fair boss by himself--the real thing everyone hates him for is the two little bastards you have to fight beforehand.

quote:

With mega fatty the position of his shadow when he jumps is the tell, if the shadow moves towards you it's a quick jump, otherwise it's the slow jump.

Mega Fatty does a super-quick jump where there literally is no time for anyone, no matter their speed stat or reflexes, to move out of the way in between him jumping and you getting hit, and he doesn't telegraph that one beforehand. I'm pretty sure he only does it when you're standing close to him, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Unless he activates his poop teleporter and blinks a quarter of the screen towards you without warning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mega Fatty's super quick jump will miss you if you're already moving in a direction that isn't directly toward him when he jumps. Of course, there's still no way to know the attack is coming.

The Bloat still does that fuckin brimstone laser thing but he also still can't fire upward, so if you come in from the side or bottom you can circle around to the top and stay there. The height of the shot was also adjusted to match his eyes in Rebirth, instead of the hitbox being to that side of him in general.

Krampus' brimstone laser is telegraphed for about half a second but if you don't have a fast movement speed you won't be able to dodge it in time.

The curving brimstone laser fired by I think Mega Maw (?) is also telegraphed, but it will curve toward you on a dime after it hits the adds and unless you get behind the head, it will hit you, guaranteed.

Basically gently caress brimstone attacks.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
You're thinking of The Adversary, that has the curving Brimstone attack. Mega Maw is the giant circular enemy that fires purple flames from itself.

Worst room ever is probably the 1x1 with two Adversary enemies inside. How you are meant to avoid damage from both is beyond me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toothache posted:

You're thinking of The Adversary, that has the curving Brimstone attack. Mega Maw is the giant circular enemy that fires purple flames from itself.

Worst room ever is probably the 1x1 with two Adversary enemies inside. How you are meant to avoid damage from both is beyond me.

I swear I'm thinking of Mega Maw. If not him then one of the other big stationary room-sized guys. If you let him shoot out too many of the little headless guys he'll fire a brimstone laser that curves around the room killing them all and then curves into you.

But gently caress The Adversary too.

edit:

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Gate

I'm thinking of The Gate. Herp.

seriously look at this bullshit what the hell

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 7, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I want to say they made Krampus's Brimstone tell just a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit longer in this version but it might be confirmation bias. Either way it definitely fucks me up less than it did in the original.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I just lost an Isaac run in the most romantic way. On Hard, in the Womb and down to one heart. It's ok, I have Mom's Knife and the Satanic Bible, I can get through this. Run into Lust, whom I back away from slowly while the knife whittles away. All of a sudden Lust lunges forward and impales himself on my knife in a rush, killing us both :glomp:

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Color Printer posted:

I want to say they made Krampus's Brimstone tell just a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit longer in this version but it might be confirmation bias. Either way it definitely fucks me up less than it did in the original.

I am pretty sure enemy Brimstone's hit area is the full width of the beam for the entire duration. So at the end of the graphic when you should be able to close in, because the beam is getting smaller, it seems to still hit you, until the beam is fully gone.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I also learned during the Boss Rush with Gnawed Leaf that The Bloat chains his side brimstone forever as long as you're within range of it, and you literally can't move between firings without getting hit due to how fast he fires and how the damage lingers until the beam entirely goes away.

EDIT: Also, while the burrowing fucks in Womb onward are more aggressive and sometimes do 100% free damage, I think the skeleton dudes are the worst enemy in the game. They are like little minibosses, considering they a) fire with perfect accuracy at long range, b) fire extremely fast, c) their bones move much faster than the average enemy tear, d) they tend to come in packs, and e) they tend to spawn in rooms with blocks forcing you to fight them in straight lines. I almost always take damage from them unless I have spectral shots or brimstone or orbitals. They need to fire at like 1/3 speed.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Toothache posted:

I see you have yet to find the Cage Match room?

1x1 room, dual Cage, no escape. :getin:

And yeah, Mega Fatty's insta-jump is only dodgeable if you're already moving when he does it, and it has no telegraph. To add to the other bullshit instant hit stuff, there's the Holy Artillery Strikes midway through Isaac and Conquest that are totally random (not the barrage that crosses the room, the random beams). Not to mention common enemies like the loving walking Host (technically not instant hit but goddamn do they come in the most infuriating rooms), and the Lump.

Rashomon posted:

I am pretty sure enemy Brimstone's hit area is the full width of the beam for the entire duration. So at the end of the graphic when you should be able to close in, because the beam is getting smaller, it seems to still hit you, until the beam is fully gone.

Best part of this? Brimstone Wall Spiders can actually move during the last few frames of their attack. So you can totally get hit by a beam that never visibly touched you even if you never move.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 7, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think the real secret to a successful Lost run isn't necessarily getting the Holy Mantle or Dead Cat, but to get so disgustingly powerful that nothing can touch you. Got Brimstone, Spoon Bender, several damage ups, and turned into Guppy. Nothing lasted for more than 3 seconds. Of course Holy Mantle and Dead Cat can help with covering up mistakes.

Now I just have to get the other 4. Would've gotten into the boss rush room if it weren't for Curse of the Lost wasting my time. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I swear I'm thinking of Mega Maw. If not him then one of the other big stationary room-sized guys. If you let him shoot out too many of the little headless guys he'll fire a brimstone laser that curves around the room killing them all and then curves into you.

But gently caress The Adversary too.

edit:

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Gate

I'm thinking of The Gate. Herp.

seriously look at this bullshit what the hell

Yeah the Gate is pretty interesting because I can't think of any other enemy or boss that fires based on the position of other enemies. The little headless dudes he fires out are basically just tracers for his brimstone shots.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're slow enough (and I mean your actual move speed, not reaction time) the fast jumping bosses can still land on you. Also for the Bloat, you can just sit slightly under his eyes to either side of him and he won't use his Brimstone at all. Every boss has a tell for every attack, but some are easier to react to than others.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I am dumb. I was wondering why I was getting curses every other floor, and what the hell the weird red squiggle under my item counters was that suddenly appeared a few days ago. It's taken me two days to notice I'd somehow switched to hard mode, and that red squiggle is a pentagram. I thought it was related to the 'everything is terrible' unlock. :downsgun:

Killed Satan and Isaac though. :toot:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
How are people avoiding unlocking the Cellar? It's one of the first things I unlocked, but if I can start completely over and intentionally avoid unlocking the reason I end 50% of my total runs via annoyance, then I would totally do that. Are you just severing runs if you run into Gemini?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stokes posted:

How are people avoiding unlocking the Cellar? It's one of the first things I unlocked, but if I can start completely over and intentionally avoid unlocking the reason I end 50% of my total runs via annoyance, then I would totally do that. Are you just severing runs if you run into Gemini?

Gemini has two ways to kill it. Either kill the big guy or the baby last. Not killing the big guy last is easier.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 7, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're slow enough (and I mean your actual move speed, not reaction time) the fast jumping bosses can still land on you. Also for the Bloat, you can just sit slightly under his eyes to either side of him and he won't use his Brimstone at all. Every boss has a tell for every attack, but some are easier to react to than others.

You could also do this with the Bloat in regular BOI but the window was much smaller and people had a hard time figuring this out.

Also, Mega Fatty's instant jump has a limited range that appears to be just about the standard tear range so as long as you have any of the number of items that increase shot speed or range you'll be fine if you keep your distance. If you have shorter range just use momentum to keep moving back and forth just out of range.

Bonus ridiculous tear screenshot:

Poly, Coal, Small Rock, Firemind, Pact, Pentagram, Mark, Rubber Cement, Flat Worm

This screenshot also marks my completion of my Eve hard scorecard. I just gotta get The Lamb with Cain and ??? with ??? and I'll have filled them all out.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Currently have a Placenta + Sharp Plug + D6 run going on... This'll add many hours to my total play time, I'm sure. But drat it, I'm going to get those stupid loving bandage/meat achievements one way or another.

E: Uh would rerolling the shop with 2 items be more efficient than treasure room with 1? Reason I'm asking is I don't know if I can exhaust the shop pool. Will it keep looping the same items after a while, or will it start taking from treasure room pool?

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 7, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Vic Boss posted:

Currently have a Placenta + Sharp Plug + D6 run going on... This'll add many hours to my total play time, I'm sure. But drat it, I'm going to get those stupid loving bandage/meat achievements one way or another.

E: Uh would rerolling the shop with 2 items be more efficient than treasure room with 1? Reason I'm asking is I don't know if I can exhaust the shop pool. Will it keep looping the same items after a while, or will it start taking from treasure room pool?

Shop draws from the treasure room after it exhausts its stuff.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Toothache posted:

I actually just did this in an Eden HM run. :v:

I kept in constant motion circling around them, focusing one down the whole way. Their homing brimstone won't touch you if you keep in motion and their jump attack is easy to avoid. They never bum rush you if you're not hanging around on their eye level. I was shocked I pulled this off but yea, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Usually by the time I see one of those rooms I'm so OP I just tank the fight but this time I couldn't afford to do so.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, you know what's really good for getting angel rooms? Goat's Head + Bible Tract. This Combo forces every floor to spawn an angel room, though I think the bible tract will force any devil room to become an angel room.

I also just killed Mega Satan without having even unlocked the chest, With an Azazel so powerful that I was oneshotting everything less than Satan/The Lamb with just Tech.5 shots, and everything better with his Brimstone. Somehow I managed to forget that Sacred Heart gives homing shots, so while I got that on like Depths 2 I didn't reallize my shots were homing as a regular thing until halfway through the Dark Room.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 7, 2014

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

N22J JWJF for my last run as Isaac to the Cathedral to unlock the Polaroid.

Just go up, it was a sign of my easiest run through the game so far. Take every curse room and any secret rooms you can track down. I think I took just about every devil deal too, including Krampus Head the time he inevitably showed up.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Why the hell doesn't the D10 have a check for depth? I used it on Cellar II to mitigate a room filled with webs and champion blood spiders, and it spawned a bunch of stupid poo poo from Womb+, including a polyp dude that took off four of my five hearts by the time I plinked him down, causing me to die a couple rooms later. It was an Eden run with Polaroid, Guppy's Head, and then Holy Mantle in the first item room too. :negative:

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Why the hell doesn't the D10 have a check for depth? I used it on Cellar II to mitigate a room filled with webs and champion blood spiders, and it spawned a bunch of stupid poo poo from Womb+, including a polyp dude that took off four of my five hearts by the time I plinked him down, causing me to die a couple rooms later. It was an Eden run with Polaroid, Guppy's Head, and then Holy Mantle in the first item room too. :negative:

For this reason, it's much better to use the D10 in the late-game where you're likely rolling rooms into weaker enemies, rather than stronger ones.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'd rather Nicalis just make it not stupid. Considering given the amount of pickups through the game, you'll probably have a far superior spacebar item later on. Plus there's obviously a correlation between the strength of your pickups and how far you are, so unless you're The Lost you probably don't need to reroll non-bosses in the Dark Room and such. It's just kinda hosed and underpowered either way.

EDIT: Or hell, give it a timer like Butter Bean, so if you reroll to poo poo enemies you can avoid them for a few seconds and try again. It isn't gamebreaking and is slightly less dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Eden can spawn with the Polaroid/Negative? That's pretty lame.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Well I just went and unlocked the lost. What a loving joke of game design this character is. The only thing more asinine was the method to unlock him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, he's not that bad, it could be worse. They could've started him off without flight.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Idea for balancing The Lost: start him with Breath Of Life and permanent Curse Of The Cursed. :getin:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Is there an easy way to determine what I still need to complete with each character in terms of Sheol/Isaac/etc?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I just had an absolutely ridiculous first Satan kill. The habit + Book of Revelations is a pretty much broken combo, giving half a soul heart every time you're hit. Combine that with brimstone, a host of other useful upgrades and familiars, and getting both a dollar, the skeleton key, and the 99 bomb item, and the game wasn't even slightly challenging. I just wish I'd unlocked the ability to get even further than Satan. It was amusing having 99 bombs, coins and keys at one point, though.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Xeras posted:

Is there an easy way to determine what I still need to complete with each character in terms of Sheol/Isaac/etc?

The character select tells you. the little square in the upper left.

Going clock wise from the top: Mom's Heart kill, Satan kill, Lamb Kill, ??? Kill, Isaac kill, and in the middle is the boss rush. They have the red outline if you did it on hard.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Eschatos posted:

The habit + Book of Revelations is a pretty much broken combo, giving half a soul heart every time you're hit.

:confused: This was true in the original game, but not in Rebirth. In Rebirth, with The Habit and Book Of Revelations and no other Spacebar-item-modifying items, it should give you a sixth of a soul heart every time you're hit. The 9-Volt and the AAA Battery on top of that would only bring that up to a quarter of a soul heart every time you're hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I finally beat Suicide King. The deciding factor was Ringworm (and Ouija Board), of all things. It makes the trajectory of your Ipecac shots such that they pretty much always hit an enemy if you are aiming somewhat towards it.