Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It could be +2 (or whatever number) "Hammer-Icon"? Pump some Librarian powered command into a struggle?
Also anyone else trying to come up with cool Tyranid/Necron stuff already? If the first Tyranid Warlord doesn't get a once-per-phase discard-unit-and-gain-printed-cost support I'll be sad.

Can't be anything to do with the Command Struggle due to there being no action windows in the Command Phase before the struggle is resolved.

The _only_ thing that makes any lick of sense to me is you gain initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DatonKallandor posted:

Also anyone else trying to come up with cool Tyranid/Necron stuff already? If the first Tyranid Warlord doesn't get a once-per-phase discard-unit-and-gain-printed-cost support I'll be sad.

I just assumed Tyranids would be slivers, in that they give bonuses to all tyranids (on a planet).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I just assumed Tyranids would be slivers, in that they give bonuses to all tyranids (on a planet).

Right, but big bad momma sliver Tyranid should have a "Discard a Tyranid Unit from your hand: Big Bad Momma gains a keyword OR an activated ability OR attack bonus equal to the discarded card's attack. This lasts until end of phase use this ability only once per phase. Surprise mutation funtimes.

Now shrink it down to fit in a warlord's box.

Actually "Big Bad Momma Sliver Tyranid has all keywords, traits, and activated abilities of the topmost Tyranid unit in your discard" would work.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 7, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That doesn't really fit the nids though does it? They're more about Synapse creatures buffing non-synapse creatures, recycling dead enemies and friends and being basically unlimited in number. Hell they're Nids - might as well give the Warlord's bloody side an interrupt to let you pay resources to revive him if he gets murdered.

Unless GW has been emphasizing the rapid mutation angle lately, which is entirely possible. I know they've been releasing lots of new Tyranids.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

I was sorta hoping the ludicrously powerful one-of (and some of the two-of) cards in the signature squads was something they'd tone down a bit but it seems like they're really doubling down on the concept. It's just so much randomness when the most powerful card is 1 in 50.

Thank you. Drives me up the wall. And it could be so easily fixed today, or could have been avoided yesterday.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I was thinking something along the lines of "Look at the top 6 cards of your opponent's deck and put a unit of cost 3 or less into play under your control" for Genestealers. Whatever we get, should be fun!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm playing through the LOTR Dark Riders expansion right now in campaign mode, and just finished Knife in the Dark. Bill Ferny is a motherfucker. That is all.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I want to try an LCG, gonna have my gf get me a core set for my birthday what should I pay and which Game will be beat for 2 to 4 players. I want to try game of pwns but I don't want a lovely unsupported game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got 2 copies of the LOTR LCG for Christmas and had a few games with my family. Passage Through Mirkwood went really well even though my mum couldn't even work out what attacking was but then we tried Journey Down the Anduin. How the gently caress is that meant to be beatable? Because of the Misty Mountain Goblins there wasn't a single progress token on the first quest stage when we lost :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rarity posted:

I got 2 copies of the LOTR LCG for Christmas and had a few games with my family. Passage Through Mirkwood went really well even though my mum couldn't even work out what attacking was but then we tried Journey Down the Anduin. How the gently caress is that meant to be beatable? Because of the Misty Mountain Goblins there wasn't a single progress token on the first quest stage when we lost :negative:

You really aren't supposed to use the pre-made decks after the first quest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

S.J. posted:

You really aren't supposed to use the pre-made decks after the first quest.

Oh, we weren't. I'd made decks for them. We just ended up with the second hill troll showing up in turn 2 and too many other enemies to cope with.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rarity posted:

Oh, we weren't. I'd made decks for them. We just ended up with the second hill troll showing up in turn 2 and too many other enemies to cope with.

Fair enough. I just got 2 core sets myself and holy gently caress this game does not mess around.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You can use the pre-made decks for the Anduin at least. Can't remember if I did for Dol Guldur.

For the Hill Troll, you probably need a good starting hand, something like a feint or a forest snare. Citadel Plate on Gimli is also a good way to go. Maybe a Gandalf. Stall a turn or two then hopefully smash it down with a powerful Gimli or a few allies.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

always be closing posted:

I want to try an LCG, gonna have my gf get me a core set for my birthday what should I pay and which Game will be beat for 2 to 4 players. I want to try game of pwns but I don't want a lovely unsupported game.

Both Netrunner and Warhammer Conquest are great and playable with just one core for casuals. Go for the one which interests you more!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Wait until 2nd edition of Thrones comes out. Netrunner is an amazing game that has been out about 3 years now (I think). With this comes a lot of extra cards to buy (if you want everything). If you are keeping it casual then enjoy as is and pick up things here and there if you want.

Warhammer just came out in October and has had only 1 expansion so it'd be a lot cheaper to get "everything".

Netrunner is a very tactical dystopian future game. It is dripping with theme.

Warhammer is balls to the wall grimdark action.

Both are a LOT of fun.

I'd also recommend Doomtown: Reloaded.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

omnibobb posted:

Wait until 2nd edition of Thrones comes out. Netrunner is an amazing game that has been out about 3 years now (I think). With this comes a lot of extra cards to buy (if you want everything). If you are keeping it casual then enjoy as is and pick up things here and there if you want.

Warhammer just came out in October and has had only 1 expansion so it'd be a lot cheaper to get "everything".

Netrunner is a very tactical dystopian future game. It is dripping with theme.

Warhammer is balls to the wall grimdark action.

Both are a LOT of fun.

I'd also recommend Doomtown: Reloaded.

Is the second edition of GoT a continuation of the HBO game or a remastering of the lcg?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is the second edition of GoT a continuation of the HBO game or a remastering of the lcg?

A remastering of the LCG. Apparently it cleaned up some stuff, or something.

Also why isn't The Scourge out yet, grr.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
As I understand it the first edition of GOT LCG was really the second edition of a Game of Thrones CCG. And they merged them including card overlap - so they had a bunch of ancient mechanics and cards designed for a CCG in an LCG and everything was broken on an underlying mechanics level. That's why they're doing 2nd Edition - to clean up the old CCG baggage.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

As I understand it the first edition of GOT LCG was really the second edition of a Game of Thrones CCG. And they merged them including card overlap - so they had a bunch of ancient mechanics and cards designed for a CCG in an LCG and everything was broken on an underlying mechanics level. That's why they're doing 2nd Edition - to clean up the old CCG baggage.

GoT was also FFG's first card game, and the rules were written in FFG's classically fuzzy style, so when cards and interactions got more complicated things got messy. GoT's comprehensive rules read like Magic's, but with all of the elegance replaced with confusing and inconsistent terminology.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I finished off the all the Black Riders quests today. I was surprised that the last quest was so easy, compared to Knife in the Dark.
Is The Road Darkens as good as Black Riders?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I thought knife in the dark wasn't that bad. Maybe because I tend to play two handed, so when it gets to end and you have a bunch of Nazgul, the burden is spread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

I thought knife in the dark wasn't that bad. Maybe because I tend to play two handed, so when it gets to end and you have a bunch of Nazgul, the burden is spread.

I thought it was great, but god drat did I have to get rid of Bill Ferny quickly.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah I think I just let my threat rise to 38 as quickly as possible so I could kill him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah I think I just let my threat rise to 38 as quickly as possible so I could kill him.

I got an early Gandalf bomb with sneak attack, and then brought him out again by going to the Prancing Pony. After that, the scenario was manageable.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm glad I scoped out this thread before pulling the trigger on GoT, which I was basically ready to do.

Do we know when the 2nd Ed is supposed to be releasing?

e: Ugh, GenCon 2015 apparently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5184

quote:

Visit the description page for more information on the second edition, read lead LCG developer Nate French’s open letter to the A Game of Thrones community, and watch our website for a series of in-depth previews that will explore the game in detail. Look for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Second Edition to be released at Gen Con Indy 2015!

Merauder fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 1, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Merauder posted:

I'm glad I scoped out this thread before pulling the trigger on GoT, which I was basically ready to do.

Do we know when the 2nd Ed is supposed to be releasing?

e: Ugh, GenCon 2015 apparently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5184

I was in the same boat, I'm not into scifi or lotr really, buy GoT is my poo poo. Isn't gencon in like august?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yes. If memory serves it might actually be late September this year, or overlapping Sep/Aug. but yes, long time to wait unfortunately. Though rather know now than buy in on the expiring edition and then be surprised a couple months later.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Agreed. Does anyone have experience with the two player HBO version of the game?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Merauder posted:

Yes. If memory serves it might actually be late September this year, or overlapping Sep/Aug. but yes, long time to wait unfortunately. Though rather know now than buy in on the expiring edition and then be surprised a couple months later.

Its end of July this year.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
For the last couple of years, the big GenCon LCG/ECG releases have shipped to stores in October.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Its end of July this year.

Whoops, yeah, July is what I meant; before August, not after. That's what I get for posting after NYE celebrations in the wee hours of the morning, I forget how calendars work. :downs:

New edition does sound great, as someone who has a heavy TCG playing background, I fully respect the desire/need to clean things up. Unfortunate there won't be nearly as much content to explore/deck-build with when it releases though, but it's a fair trade I suppose.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Does anyone have experience with the two player HBO version of the game?

It's basically just the regular game using images from the HBO series and only for two players. While the decks will be the same each time, there's a big deck of plots that can be drafted before each game to provide some variety. If you can get it for cheap and/or are really big into the TV show, I'd look at picking it up to get a feel for how the game plays. The general flow shouldn't change too much between editions, from what I've read.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay, I'm looking for a card game. I was already eyeing Privateer Press' High Command, since it was on sale in Amazon (I know it is a deckbuilder). But maybe you guys can help me with this.

Here's my context: big, big Warhammer Fantasy/40k fan. I was tempted to buy one Warhammer: Conquest core set, but I've been told I should be grabbing at LEAST two. Here's where the second problem rears its ugly head - the people that play this game in my country are numbered in the dozens. Maybe a bit less. I've got a big group of geeky friends who would be all over a game like this to play between us, but there's absolutely no way they can buy a copy themselves. I like Warmachine as much as I like Conquest, but there's going to be absolutely no competitive scene here, nor will there be for a long time due to import limitation/increasing dollar conversation rate.

Should I still get Conquest? Should I try another LCG? Or should I just stick to High Command?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Azran posted:

Okay, I'm looking for a card game. I was already eyeing Privateer Press' High Command, since it was on sale in Amazon (I know it is a deckbuilder). But maybe you guys can help me with this.

Here's my context: big, big Warhammer Fantasy/40k fan. I was tempted to buy one Warhammer: Conquest core set, but I've been told I should be grabbing at LEAST two. Here's where the second problem rears its ugly head - the people that play this game in my country are numbered in the dozens. Maybe a bit less. I've got a big group of geeky friends who would be all over a game like this to play between us, but there's absolutely no way they can buy a copy themselves. I like Warmachine as much as I like Conquest, but there's going to be absolutely no competitive scene here, nor will there be for a long time due to import limitation/increasing dollar conversation rate.

Should I still get Conquest? Should I try another LCG? Or should I just stick to High Command?

With the deck building mechanic, you'll be able to build 6 good and varied decks with 2 sets of conquest.

Watch games on youtube and see what floats your boat.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

omnibobb posted:

With the deck building mechanic, you'll be able to build 6 good and varied decks with 2 sets of conquest.

Watch games on youtube and see what floats your boat.

My biggest concern for HC is that I'm going to have to buy the expansions to have an actually fun and balanced match, as far as I've been told.

I looked at the tutorials for both, gonna try and watch some more matches. If I don't care about competition, should two decks be fine for a good time?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
With one coreset you can def have two ok decks.

The biggest problem is randomness of your draw. You'll be looking for a (generally) 1/50 chance of pulling a card you want, with full playsets that cam drop to like 1/15 or something.

Therefore, games feel really floaty and it's really about luck of the draw instead of skill of the game.

If you are set with getting just one box for now, like I said in the other thread, stick to High Command. If buying more boxes is possible (which you've said it is), Conquest is the game for you - but I'd recommend getting the second core sooner rather than later.

Also, keep in mind the expansions for Conquest (if it's financially/economically an option and all). Each of the first 6, at least, will have a new warlord for one of the factions and the rest of the cards throughout the 6 pack expansion series will directly support those warlords.

It may take a bit, but 15 USD a month (not sure how that converts) will slowly build you whole new stuff. I am BIG into netrunner and I didnt buy my second coreset until it'd been out about 2.5 years and only then because a friend decided he didnt want his and sold it to me for 20. I started the game with about 4 expansions out and never felt at a loss for cards. That being said, netrunner had a much different distribution of cards than conquest does. Like your third conquest gets you 70 something cards you "need" for full playsets. Netrunner gets you 11.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you want to do more than the absolute minimum of deckbuilding for Warhammer you're going to need 2+ core sets. With 1 core set if you want to play with full 50 card decks you each pick 1 main faction, which then limits you to picking 1 of 2 allied factions and then splitting all the neutral cards for an exact 50.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Buy 3 sets of Conquest. Don't worry if your friends don't like deckbuilding because you can build 3 different decks out of 2 cores that will function fine. I bought 3 sets of Conquest and am fine to sit on them because the game is really easy to teach and you can teach someone in 1 game then have them beat you the next because they saw how cards interact and made smart choices.

I hated High Command. I found it boring and heavily draw based with very boring combinations and no "back and forth" action. Conquest is much more involved and big battles are pretty climactic with actions and abilities flying around.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If your entire friends circle is going to be using sets built out of Core Conquest sets, you can make a ton of decks if you buy 2 or 3 and use one deckbuilding house-rule:
No Void Pirates, No Rogue Traders. If you leave those out, none of the decks will have a big advantage over the other (since any competitive deck runs 3 of each and there's 2 of each per Core set you can only build 2 competitive decks used at the same time per 3 Core Sets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

High Command was dull with just the starter set but it is a much, much better game now.