Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

because dumb rear end nerds will excuse anything and buy anything, hence why the games industry is now centred around medium sized and big companies releasing hosed up and unfinished games and idiots keep buying them. see above.

A strategy which so far has only been redeemed by Dragon Age 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Wow, these guys are really stuck trying to relive their glory days. I mean their original work was pretty groundbreaking, but a big part of the tech and entertainment industry is moving forward and introducing audiences to new things they might not have thought about; or at least invoking nostalgia in a way that doesn't also invoke the classic frustrations. Do people really want a point-and-click as badly as they say they do? I do like adventure games, but there have lately been a lot of much better deliveries than the clunky old pixel hunting and verb systems of yore.

I mean, nobody would really want a new, modern RPG with a retro aesthetic that has the gameplay of Ultima or Xanadu, because while those games are classics, they're also very difficult to really play and the only reason they were designed the way they were is because the concept was so new at the time and just getting the thing trimmed-down enough to play decently within the limitations of the computers they were on already quite a task.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Noyemi K posted:

Wow, these guys are really stuck trying to relive their glory days. I mean their original work was pretty groundbreaking, but a big part of the tech and entertainment industry is moving forward and introducing audiences to new things they might not have thought about; or at least invoking nostalgia in a way that doesn't also invoke the classic frustrations. Do people really want a point-and-click as badly as they say they do? I do like adventure games, but there have lately been a lot of much better deliveries than the clunky old pixel hunting and verb systems of yore.

I mean, nobody would really want a new, modern RPG with a retro aesthetic that has the gameplay of Ultima or Xanadu, because while those games are classics, they're also very difficult to really play and the only reason they were designed the way they were is because the concept was so new at the time and just getting the thing trimmed-down enough to play decently within the limitations of the computers they were on already quite a task.

From what I can see, point-and-click games almost exclusively appeal today to existing fans of the genre. With what they have to compete with, it's hard to hold the attention of most newbies. Like, look at their tagline. "A dusty LucasArts title you found in your desk that you never played before." Right at the start they admit that their market is the people who have probably already played everything in the genre and might be brought in by a new title.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Dec 5, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I can see, point-and-click games almost exclusively appeal today to existing fans of the genre. With what they have to compete with, it's hard to hold the attention of most newbies. Like, look at their tagline. "A dusty LucasArts title you found in your desk that you never played before." Right at the start they admit that their market is the people who have probably already played everything in the genre and might be brought in by a new title.

You know what? That sounds pretty reasonable. They're already funded, so v:shobon:v

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

Considering that Ron Gilbert trying to do new things leads to Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, DeathSpank, and The Cave I'd much rather prefer he keep rehashing the same old poo poo over and over forever. And with Kickstarter he can do that on his own off to the side without wasting other developers' time and energy.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Considering that Ron Gilbert trying to do new things leads to Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, DeathSpank, and The Cave I'd much rather prefer he keep rehashing the same old poo poo over and over forever. And with Kickstarter he can do that on his own off to the side without wasting other developers' time and energy.

I haven't played either of those games, are they really that terrible?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No, the Penny Arcade games were just thoroughly average games. Don't where that guy is getting the idea they were specially terrible.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Noyemi K posted:

None of them are like shovelware awful, but they mostly commit the sin of trying to be funny comedy games that end up not actually being that funny. The Cave had some weird issues where you had to keep replaying exactly the same pieces over and over again in order to unlock new pieces of content.

It's unclear to me that Ron Gilbert ever was actually consistently as funny as people remember him being, and it appears like he just had good editors curating his jokes back then.

His sense of humor is incredibly juvenile, and that worked really well for a lot of people who were playing those games when they were children and pre-teens. Most of us have grown up now, though, but Ron Gilbert's sense of humor hasn't changed. A lot of it just comes off as tedious.

It's cool to see the small number of people who enjoy his stuff be able to give him money to make a thing. It's probably not for me, but it's a cool thing that those people can enjoy more things they like. That seems like the opposite of an awful Kickstarter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To be fair, the Penny Arcade games not being that funny is probably more Tycho's fault than Ron's. Dude just really loving wants to be Lovecraft. Also, it's lame that they got rid of the player-created character after Episode 2. I always kinda liked how they implemented the custom character into the cutscenes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Not really. The Penny Arcade one, at least the first episode, was just kind of boring. DeathSpank was trying way too hard to be funny, and The Cave was reasonably well received, although it got a bit of poo poo for being too backtracky IIRC.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

None of them are like shovelware awful, but they mostly commit the sin of trying to be funny comedy games that end up not actually being that funny. The Cave had some weird issues where you had to keep replaying exactly the same pieces over and over again in order to unlock new pieces of content.

It's unclear to me that Ron Gilbert ever was actually consistently as funny as people remember him being, and it appears like he just had good editors curating his jokes back then.

His sense of humor is incredibly juvenile, and that worked really well for a lot of people who were playing those games when they were children and pre-teens. Most of us have grown up now, though, but Ron Gilbert's sense of humor hasn't changed. A lot of it just comes off as tedious.

It's cool to see the small number of people who enjoy his stuff be able to give him money to make a thing. It's probably not for me, but it's a cool thing that those people can enjoy more things they like. That seems like the opposite of an awful Kickstarter.

exactly. the dude makes mediocre games that are supposed to make up for it with writing and humor but then completely fails to deliver

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waffleman_ posted:

To be fair, the Penny Arcade games not being that funny is probably more Tycho's fault than Ron's. Dude just really loving wants to be Lovecraft. Also, it's lame that they got rid of the player-created character after Episode 2. I always kinda liked how they implemented the custom character into the cutscenes.

Was it Episode 3 or 4 that looked like they used FF6 sprites as a base for the characters? One of them had more than a passing familiarity to Locke and Edgar.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was it Episode 3 or 4 that looked like they used FF6 sprites as a base for the characters? One of them had more than a passing familiarity to Locke and Edgar.

Both Episodes 3 and 4 were the ones that moved to the indie channel on the Xbox 360 releases and used a fake-SNES-JRPG style.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pick posted:

A strategy which so far has only been redeemed by Dragon Age 2.

no

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

actually the opposite reading is true

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
After Deathspank and the first two PA games the studio responsible for them had to abandon PC gaming and now works on lovely mobile sports games.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How many video game kickstarters have become vapourware now?

Obsidian's one and Wasteland 2 have worked, but how many haven't, or have limped out like the OUYA did?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

OldMemes posted:

How many video game kickstarters have become vapourware now?

There actually aren't that many Kickstarter games that have completely failed, though that number is considerably higher if you count games that are currently just spinning their wheels and probably have little hope of amounting to anything. At the very least, it's far less than the number of games that have actually been released.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Great Rumbler posted:

There actually aren't that many Kickstarter games that have completely failed, though that number is considerably higher if you count games that are currently just spinning their wheels and probably have little hope of amounting to anything. At the very least, it's far less than the number of games that have actually been released.

You have any kind of data to back that up, or is it just a gut feeling?

Also does that count games like Code Hero as "released" ?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Zombies?! What an original concept!

Give us money, then tell us how we should make the game.

I want to start an online gaming forum, because there aren't already a trillion of thoughs.

quote:

I have been working in IT for 6 years now and am currently studying game design. I quit my job several months back to persue [sic] my dreams in running a online gaming community with a difference, till recently, completely funded by myself.

A risk-free games project!

"I promise it will turn out great."

quote:

This project is based on a game that we have seen and heard that people want to play and we want to play it ourselves and develop one of the greatest games ever. Firstly, we need money to pay some game designers to design and make the game. After that, we will realize the game and trying to beat GTA and The Sims.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If this game gets succesfull, it will be as successful as GTA and The Sims, but we need your help. We will use all the money to develop this game and can therefor not give a huge amount back. If it turn out to be a huge success, everyone who has backed us will get a diplom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I know zombies are overplayed, but this kinda looks to be a spiritual sequel ( /ripoff) of Zombies ate my neighbors for SNES, which is actually kinda rad.

quote:

I have been working in IT for 6 years now and am currently studying game design. I quit my job several months back to persue [sic] my dreams in running a online gaming community with a difference, till recently, completely funded by myself.

:eyepop:

HP hp:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

We're making a minecraft texture pack! Payment, please!

This ugly blue fucker is a treasure hunter. Buy our skins!

Give me a few grand to make My First RPG Maker Game no. 6,000,000,000. Also includes bonus weird and aimless introduction.

e: Am I reading this right or does this seriously say "For DOS/Mac/Android phones"

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Dec 5, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zaphod42 posted:

You have any kind of data to back that up, or is it just a gut feeling?

Also does that count games like Code Hero as "released" ?

I've mostly kept up with games released vs. games completely failed, though I generally don't bother with games that received, like, $3000 and look every bit of it. Just doing a quick once-over of that list gives about a 10:1 ratio of released [either in Early Access or full release] compared to utterly failed. But I'm only counting definitely dead games, so that's not entirely an accurate ratio.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yep, it's DOS all right. No explanation further than that.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yep, it's DOS all right. No explanation further than that.

Oh my god. That video. I didn't even notice they HAD one before. Hearing them SAY THE THINGS is even weirder than READING it!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

do you have a siren that goes off when someone posts unironically about dragon age 2, and its greatness

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pick posted:

do you have a siren that goes off when someone posts unironically about dragon age 2, and its greatness

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zaphod42 posted:

I know zombies are overplayed, but this kinda looks to be a spiritual sequel ( /ripoff) of Zombies ate my neighbors for SNES, which is actually kinda rad.

:eyepop:

HP hp:

this is one of those glitch gifs right?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pick posted:

yes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dragon age 2 is really the Empire Strikes Back of the dragon age series

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Playing tabletop miniature and roleplaying games remotely is pretty much a solved problem (VASSAL, various RPG VTTs).

But let's remove the advantages and streamlining of moving tabletop games into a digital presentation, and add a gimpy waldo-arm interface and Occulus VR to inject faux "authenticity" (along with sub-1990's quality textures and animation) for the worst of BOTH worlds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUkGxaLVfE

Kind of a cheat since the KS isn't up (this is a video promoting a KS to go up on the 15th.)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Noyemi K posted:

Routine, it's still vapourware.

That seems more than a little harsh for an indie game that only started to get shown two years ago. Are we going to complain about games not doing the hot new thing of taking peoples money and sitting as a slowly updated tech demo for years now?

Carecat has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Dec 7, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

These players models look fabulous :sissies:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the downs/cerebral palsy arm is especially good

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Otisburg posted:

Playing tabletop miniature and roleplaying games remotely is pretty much a solved problem (VASSAL, various RPG VTTs).

But let's remove the advantages and streamlining of moving tabletop games into a digital presentation, and add a gimpy waldo-arm interface and Occulus VR to inject faux "authenticity" (along with sub-1990's quality textures and animation) for the worst of BOTH worlds!

Kind of a cheat since the KS isn't up (this is a video promoting a KS to go up on the 15th.)

im the bombastic royalty-free adventure movie trailer music

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

the downs/cerebral palsy arm is especially good

With their knees flexin' and their arms t-rexin'

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Otisburg posted:

I mean this would solve some issues with games like Necromunda which really aren't playable on Vassal, but its hilariously ugly and needlessly complex.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Otisburg posted:

Surgeon Simulator is amusing for watching other people fumble their way through it, not for spending hours at a time moving little miniatures across a map in a game you're meant to be playing seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Otisburg posted:

Jurassic Park: Trespasser Part II