Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's hilarious that in ff13-3 hope is a kid again, for literally no reason

Wait, what, he un-kids in XIII-2?

UNLOCK FASTER, STEAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Wait, what, he un-kids in XIII-2?

UNLOCK FASTER, STEAM.

He becomes Science President. He is so good at science he becomes president of the whole world. Hope Estheim, Science President

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You are doing nothing but making me want to play this more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paperhouse posted:

Someone mentioned Langrisser IV a few pages ago, mentioned that it has a fan translation now so all us nerds could play it if we wanted. I'm wondering if anyone has played it? Aesthetically it looks like the kind of thing I very much like and seems to have some interesting gameplay. From what I can tell it has some sort of war combat a bit like Suikoden II, anime as heck character portraits and very classic 16-32 bit sprites and maps. It ticks boxes for me but it could still be very bad, I just don't know

I really enjoyed and it had a better cast than previous Langrisser games. I don't remember what route I took but I ended up working for the super smart and witty tactician and it felt like I was part of an actual army.

Game is still easy as gently caress since it's a Langrisser game.

The biggest gripe is that the game feeds directly into Langrisser V which does not have a translation I think.

Oh if you have never played a Langrisser game then they are basically squad based SRPGs. There's a rock paper scissor system in place but it's not strict. Another fun part of the game is promoting your characters to new classes and there's a full blown class tree. They are usually "canon" paths though that give access to a final secret class that you just look up on a FAQ. Langrisser 4 might have did something differently with classes but I honestly don't remember.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 7, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rascyc posted:

I really enjoyed and it had a better cast than previous Langrisser games. I don't remember what route I took but I ended up working for the super smart and witty tactician and it felt like I was part of an actual army.

Game is still easy as gently caress since it's a Langrisser game.

The biggest gripe is that the game feeds directly into Langrisser V which does not have a translation I think.

Oh if you have never played a Langrisser game then they are basically squad based SRPGs. There's a rock paper scissor system in place but it's not strict. Another fun part of the game is promoting your characters to new classes and there's a full blown class tree. They are usually "canon" paths though that give access to a final secret class that you just look up on a FAQ. Langrisser 4 might have did something differently with classes but I honestly don't remember.

So is there any real reason (story or whatever) to play previous Langrisser games before launching into IV?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

You are doing nothing but making me want to play this more.

Please search for "Crazy Chocobo" on youtube.

But yeah XIII-3 is a very fun game that is just stupid enough that it is entertaining instead of mindnumbing like xiii-2 is. I would just wait for xiii-3 to get ported to steam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Please search for "Crazy Chocobo" on youtube.

You say that like it's not the best chocobo theme.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Bluesy Chocobo is better :colbert:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I think it's hilarious that in ff13-3 hope is a kid again, for literally no reason

Considering that you're time traveling in 13-2, I don't think it's so hard to imagine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

No, no, marketingGawd deliberately reverts Hope into his teenager form for reasons.

FF13-3 has a lovely New Game+ when after an hour or so you can just go and exterminate every large and dangerous enemy on every map with your endgame gear, before the critters get their scheduled boost in strength. If you spam chronostasis while doing it, Pumpkin goddess Lightning will end the monsters before the end of the first day, meaning that some annoying dungeon minibosses won't spawn because their species became extinct.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

So is there any real reason (story or whatever) to play previous Langrisser games before launching into IV?

well, der langrisser is fun. there are multiple story paths and one has the main character doing more betrayals per second (bps) than any other game i can think of.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there any frequently updated, one-stop-shop for fan translation news? It's been ages since I followed that sort of thing and I'm curious what might have popped up since last I checked.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Romhacking.net covers your needs, I believe.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Variant_Eris posted:

Romhacking.net covers your needs, I believe.

Durr. Thanks for googling that for me.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The more I play Xenoblade, the more bored I am by it. I'm at the snow mountain about 35 hours in. It's a slog. 3,000 steps down the mountain. The characters move so drat slow that it would be tedious even without being interrupted by battles. While I like that the battle system is unique and makes you do more than just press attack, in each area you'll fight the same 2-3 monsters over and over and you do the same thing in each one to win. It's repetitive.

I finally got down to the destination at the bottom of the mountain, then I went on a fetch quest to get an item to open a door. Now I have to do 1500 more steps of walking through the snow, goddammit.

Story is sub par. Except for Rayn, characters are devoid of personality. Dialogue is bland "You are the chosen one to wield the Monado" type stuff.

Unless I'm totally not understanding something, the shopping system for weapons and armor is a nightmare. It takes me a minimum of 20 minutes each time I get to a shop. You can't compare weapons and armor straight up because you have gems equipped. So I have to write down what gems each character has, remove the gems, then compare them, buy things, go through the mountain of collectables I have and see what I can sell, then equip it all and put the gems back. At this point I'll usually go do gem crafting to get that out of the way. That's another 10-15 minutes.

The music is good and the environments are pretty, I'll give the game that.

I can't understand how this game got better reviews than Nier. Even the side quests are much more enjoyable in Nier. At least there they're accompanied by witty banter.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

some people don't like some games

i didn't like xenoblade much either, if youre not enjoying don't play it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed Xenoblade more once I decided to cheat and use Ocarina to give myself maximum level gems and guaranteed Mega Heat every time. Also make it so gifts max out affinity. The only thing I wish I could have found was a cheat to unlock every sidequest, since some of the more important ones are gated behind having a certain star level in each area :doom:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've been playing RPGs for 20+ years, and the completionist in me is what ended up destroying my interest in Xenoblade. There are hundreds of sidequests and they're all the same and really tedious and not fun to do, but I insisted on doing them because completion. That plus the batshit turn the game takes at the end.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I can't understand how this game got better reviews than Nier. Even the side quests are much more enjoyable in Nier. At least there they're accompanied by witty banter.

There's quite a few reasons as to why Xenoblade got better reviews, for better or worst. I'd say the major one was that it's a Wii exclusive JRPG, where there's zero competition, that got a lot of hype from importers who played the Japan/Europe version versus an action-RPG that looks kind of generic at a glance that just kind of dropped into peoples laps like Nier. On top of that, you had some people who did review Nier which did poo poo like giving it a scathing review for loving up the plot's fishing mini-game section and then refused to not give it a second look when told he hosed up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That snow mountain area is really dire because the game was normally good about having your in-game powers be relevant to cutscenes.

And then suddenly you need a fire stone to melt ice even though you have a girl that can shoot fireballs.

CVagts posted:

I've been playing RPGs for 20+ years, and the completionist in me is what ended up destroying my interest in Xenoblade. There are hundreds of sidequests and they're all the same and really tedious and not fun to do, but I insisted on doing them because completion. That plus the batshit turn the game takes at the end.

Plus if you do all the sidequests you're overleveled and if you're overleveled enemies have trouble even hitting you, so welp!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Yeah, I'm the sort of person who does every sidequest so it was hard not to in Xenoblade, but I don't regret it. Ended up cheating affinity with certain areas up to get fourth and fifth skill trees but other than that had a great time picking up a bunch of sidequests and only turning in the interesting ones or the ones that just happened to complete while I was doing my thing. :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah I'm a sidequest whore and I had to force myself to leave the main town to move on. :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

e: oops. missed the previous page.
Ignore this

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is fantastic so far. Is the rest of the series as consistently good? I was also disappointed to see that the series eventually went 3D.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is fantastic so far. Is the rest of the series as consistently good? I was also disappointed to see that the series eventually went 3D.

the good news is that the sequel is supposed to be a fair bit better, the bad news is that the chances of any game past the sequel being localized is pretty slim

e: from what i hear Ao no Kiseki is really good, maybe the best in the series, and Zero no Kiseki is really good too. Sen no Kiseki wasn't as good but then Sen no Kiseki II was better

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 7, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

My main problem with Xenoblade is how it's basically impossible to kill stuff more than a couple levels higher than you. The combat is balanced so that it's basically a foregone conclusion if there's a big level gap one way or the other, and player ingenuity won't stop attacks from just missing or doing like 1 damage. In FF12 it was always possible to kill enemies way stronger than you, with methods like poisoning/blinding Dive Talons or immobilizing enemies and sniping away. Xenoblade doesn't want you to break the game's power curve, so it restricts the player's capabilities a lot.

Also I sort of expect any game by Takahashi to have a completely :catdrugs: plot and Xenoblade is mildly weird at most.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pandora's Tower was cooler than Xenoblade.

Of course, they hosed that up in America where Pandora's Tower is unbeatable thanks to gamebreaking bugs. At least the Euro release works fine :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the good news is that the sequel is supposed to be a fair bit better, the bad news is that the chances of any game past the sequel being localized is pretty slim

e: from what i hear Ao no Kiseki is really good, maybe the best in the series, and Zero no Kiseki is really good too. Sen no Kiseki wasn't as good but then Sen no Kiseki II was better

Why is it unlikely for the other entries to be localized?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Xenoblade has a cool setting and good music. That's about the extent of the nice things I have to say about it.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Of course, they hosed that up in America where Pandora's Tower is unbeatable thanks to gamebreaking bugs. At least the Euro release works fine :shrug:
poo poo, seriously? I bought that game on release and still haven't played it, and now I find out it's broken?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

they're wordy so they take a lot of time/money to translate but don't sell great, and the series eventually moves off of the PC so there's a platform issue (Ao no Kiseki is only on the psp and vita, for example, which aren't healthy platforms now, let alone by the time they get there).

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Codiekitty posted:

poo poo, seriously? I bought that game on release and still haven't played it, and now I find out it's broken?

For some reason, some save files end up with a gamebreaking hard freeze at a specific point. Nobody knows why, especially since it's not in the JP or EU releases. You can maybe work around it, or never encounter it at all, but it's also possible you'll never be able to complete the game. So there's that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So uh, does Trails in the Sky 2 wrap up that story because I'll say right now that 1 ended in a cliffhanger.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Trails in the Sky 2 wraps up the story. Trails in the Sky 3 is kind of its own thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, does Trails in the Sky 2 wrap up that story because I'll say right now that 1 ended in a cliffhanger.
Trails in the Sky 2 wraps up the story, yeah. 3 is just a bunch of sidestories/bonus things, like an entire game of post-game sidequests.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

they're wordy so they take a lot of time/money to translate but don't sell great, and the series eventually moves off of the PC so there's a platform issue (Ao no Kiseki is only on the psp and vita, for example, which aren't healthy platforms now, let alone by the time they get there).

That sucks. I really wanted more of this deriesr.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cake Attack posted:

some people don't like some games

i didn't like xenoblade much either, if youre not enjoying don't play it

I was hoping someone would say that the last 5 hours including the mountain was like the Kislev sewers of XS and it's all uphill from there. Or maybe the first half is all setup and in a little while the story is about to really begin. Instead everyone is just agreeing with me.

WrightOfWay posted:

Xenoblade has a cool setting and good music. That's about the extent of the nice things I have to say about it.

So Xenoblade is like Chrono Cross for Wii.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

So Xenoblade is like Chrono Cross for Wii.

Chrono Cross had an interesting battle system while Xenoblade is the worst aspects of MMO combat but that's a fair comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I was hoping someone would say that the last 5 hours including the mountain was like the Kislev sewers of XS and it's all uphill from there. Or maybe the first half is all setup and in a little while the story is about to really begin. Instead everyone is just agreeing with me.

Well, if you didn't like it or the plot or characters so far, then the odds are you're not going to like the rest. After the mountain, it actually is going to get better and more interesting, the mountain is a rather forgettable area - but will that be enough for you? I don't know.

Maybe try changing the character you're playing as to someone else and see if a change in playstyle will help?