Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Fauxtool posted:

there was never any hacking or exploits. bad players just tell themselves that to feel better about how far ahead everyone else is.

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the +6 repeating crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So i want to try this game but I've heard a couple of bad things about it. What are those bad things, do they matter, and is this a game worth trying out?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So i want to try this game but I've heard a couple of bad things about it. What are those bad things, do they matter, and is this a game worth trying out?

You should re-read this thread very carefully, and I believe all your questions will be answered.

I let my manor in prime real estate burn down, because this game is bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I gave my townhouse & a few thousand gold to a goon when I quit. He sold the townhouse for gold, then stopped playing the next day. lol

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I let my house and farm plot on pirate Island just delete, and my six aquafarms :stonk:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I gave my calmlands thatched to my very first pubbie recruit.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

CrusherEAGLE posted:

A small group of friends and I are still having fun as are some other goons that I see occadionally, but most people in this thread have long since moved on to different games.

The issues are many, so consider yourself warned. A few of them are: servers prone to crashing, poorly timed maintenance, lack of customer support, lack of moderator support, hacking due to important data (buffs, health etc.) stored clientside, multiple exploits that have provided an extensive advantage to many players, labor system that restricts crafting and rewards AFKing, limited land opportunities, general bugginess, poor optimization, rather vanilla pvp and class options, too much emphasis on the cash shop by trion and more. I'd mention its many grinds in more detail, but it's a korean MMO...

I am sure you are wondering why anyone still plays this game, and I can only point to the fun naval fights and that pvp is enjoyable in small groups. My friends and I are also decently geared and have quite a bit of land. We're also all easy going and just look to find fun between all crap that XLgames and Trion have thrown at their customers since the open world offers some great opportunities for enjoyment once you know where to look.

This game can be fun, but Trion and XLgames are doing their best to destroy it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fish

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Widestancer you may have tourette syndrome, you keep randomly posting that single word in the thread.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ThaGrandCow posted:

Widestancer you may have tourette syndrome, you keep randomly posting that single word in the thread.

There's a reason for that but it's not the one you posted. I hope this information aids you in your quest.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
This game is good?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Legit question here. I need something other than spaceships and medieval child killing to pass the time.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
lol no

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Angry Fish posted:

This game is good?

It had potential but it's been squandered. If you do play it just have fun and don't get too invested.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Angry Fish posted:

This game is good?

Worth an install if you like MMOs

Not worth paying money for unless you want to play every day to make sure you get the most out of the patron benefits to get APEX to play everyday more.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Widestancer posted:

It had potential but it's been squandered. If you do play it just have fun and don't get too invested.

I like the idea of sieging other people's stuff, and the murder. But I don't like the "free to play" model because it sounds like something that'll require me to pay $15 to win pixel valor or die repeatedly with zero advancement.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Angry Fish posted:

I like the idea of sieging other people's stuff, and the murder. But I don't like the "free to play" model because it sounds like something that'll require me to pay $15 to win pixel valor or die repeatedly with zero advancement.

You don't have to pay money to murder fishermen which is where the fun is at.

If you enjoy killing miners in EVE that'll be your thing.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Widestancer posted:

You don't have to pay money to murder fishermen which is where the fun is at.

If you enjoy killing miners in EVE that'll be your thing.

:yaycloud:

Okay I'll give the client a download on Monday and see what's up.

Is there a pretty decent learning curve, or is this similar enough to the other themepark rides to just hop on and give it a whirr for a few hours?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Only cost to try it out is bandwidth and dignity. Just think long and hard before you pay for anything. Then realize if you play right you can get it all with in game gold so don't pay for anything.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SumYungGui posted:

Only cost to try it out is bandwidth and dignity. Just think long and hard before you pay for anything. Then realize if you play right you can get it all with in game gold so don't pay for anything.

Can you make your character look like anything other then an idealized kpop video star?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Post your favorite characters people made in Archeage

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Let me just give you some advice on what is fun in this game. You should not try to be involved in the economy in any way because either the game, other players, or Trion will gently caress you over.

However, getting up to level 50, getting some decent gear, and robbing people on Freedich or while fishing is really fun. If you aren't involved in the economy you won't need labor for much, so you can go around uprooting poo poo. Preferably while the person is watching you just minutes before whatever they are growing matures.

You might think, but you could totally wait and compete with him on getting the materials. That's where you are wrong. Because then you are trying to be involved in the economy and that is dumb and also bad.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My elf alt bore a striking resemblance to Ziggy Stardust.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Watching the game crash and burn from the side lines is much more entertaining. I wanted it to be good, I wanted to do poo poo but even if I were to grind all day I couldn't catch up with the people who exploited and having all my efforts completely devalued because Trion doesn't give a gently caress sucks all the fun out of the game for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want a concrete example on how Trion will gently caress you on the economy, well here you go also. In this game there is something called a thunderstruck tree. You get it by planting trees and then hoping that you are incredibly lucky. These were going for like 1100-1300 gold when I had looked last (on the lower end if you could convince someone to trade directly with you and cut out the AH fees). A new continent was due to come out along with recipes some of which called for multiples of these trees. So basically thunderstruck trees were poised to spike even higher when Auroria came out because of the huge demand. Some people were holding on to these trees in anticipation of making some money. That's a good thing because this is a sandbox game and the idea is that there isn't a lot of in game or dev intervention.

When the patch was released they had an RNG cash shop box you could buy which could drop a thunderstruck sapling. These saplings had a pretty decent chance at becoming thunderstruck, which caused the thunderstruck price to tank completely loving players who thought ahead. By this point I had kind of already checked out of the game but I'd be pretty annoyed if the devs hosed me over and made my previously valuable materials worthless so they could sucker some people out of money.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Angry Fish posted:

As a casual player you can do fine playing for free. You won't be able to craft, own land, or sell things on the auction house. But you can murder fishermen just fine.

Like EVE, it has a system where people with cash money can sell game time credits to people with time for gold. So if you decide you like it enough to subscribe, you can pay $15 once and from then on make enough gold selling stuff you find laying around to keep your subscription up for gold. If you have a lot of free time you can play the game for "free" and have all the benefits of people who pay cash money.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yea, but APEX is up to 200 to 250 gold each and you need almost two for a month of sub time so unless you really really enjoy grinding and/or put in an initial investment you're not gonna earn that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eonwe posted:

If you want a concrete example on how Trion will gently caress you on the economy, well here you go also. In this game there is something called a thunderstruck tree. You get it by planting trees and then hoping that you are incredibly lucky. These were going for like 1100-1300 gold when I had looked last (on the lower end if you could convince someone to trade directly with you and cut out the AH fees). A new continent was due to come out along with recipes some of which called for multiples of these trees. So basically thunderstruck trees were poised to spike even higher when Auroria came out because of the huge demand. Some people were holding on to these trees in anticipation of making some money. That's a good thing because this is a sandbox game and the idea is that there isn't a lot of in game or dev intervention.

When the patch was released they had an RNG cash shop box you could buy which could drop a thunderstruck sapling. These saplings had a pretty decent chance at becoming thunderstruck, which caused the thunderstruck price to tank completely loving players who thought ahead. By this point I had kind of already checked out of the game but I'd be pretty annoyed if the devs hosed me over and made my previously valuable materials worthless so they could sucker some people out of money.

Eh, I'm fine with speculators getting burned. It was blatantly obvious that thunderstruck trees were never meant to be that valuable. The absurdly valuable tree lottery was distorting the market, making normal logs so cheap they were barely worth chopping down. In some areas over half the farmland would be devoted to cedar and pine (the trees common wisdom believed had the greatest chance of becoming thunderstruck) because going through your land once a day planting saplings and chopping down trees provided by far the best gold/labor and gold/effort. Maintaining vast cedar forests was so easy and so cheap that there was no reason not to hoard every scrap of land you could lay your hands on. It wasn't even a lottery if you had enough land. If you are planting dozens or hundreds of per day you could get a steady supply thunderstrucks per week pretty reliably. It was broken.

Of course it may have been better to silently quadruple the drop rate, rather than correct the market with a cash shop item.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Angela Christine posted:

Of course it may have been better to silently quadruple the drop rate, rather than correct the market with a cash shop item.

This is probably what burned people so much about it. Rather than being viewed as developer intervention in the game's economy, it was viewed as a shameless cash grab. But AFAIK this item had already existed on the Korean cash shop for quite some time so I don't understand why people were so surprised.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I completely get that and agree, but yeah, fixing it with an RNG cash shop box was pretty hosed is all I meant to say.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

But AFAIK this item had already existed on the Korean cash shop for quite some time so I don't understand why people were so surprised.

But didn't they say the game was being retooled western audiences!?!?

Western audiences need to be told little lies before you rip them off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Morglon posted:

Yea, but APEX is up to 200 to 250 gold each and you need almost two for a month of sub time so unless you really really enjoy grinding and/or put in an initial investment you're not gonna earn that.

Yeah, you really need to pony up that initial $15 to get rolling. Without access to the auction house it is hard to make money.

With that initial month it is dead easy. You get two character slots. Make one character on the NA servers, and one on the EU servers. They get separate Loyalty and Labor pools, but share a credit pool. If you log into both characters once a day, you'll get enough just from loyalty points to buy 10 forgiveness potions per month on each account, which is 300-400 gold right there. Use the labor on the alt you don't actually play to turn raw stone into bricks and you'll effortlessly make hundreds more. It is easy.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Chomp8645 posted:

But didn't they say the game was being retooled western audiences!?!?

Western audiences need to be told little lies before you rip them off.

western audiences are gay

heh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eonwe posted:

I completely get that and agree, but yeah, fixing it with an RNG cash shop box was pretty hosed is all I meant to say.

Agreed. Trion has been hilariously clumsy and inept with this game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Retooling for western audiences is not normally a whole lot.

Normally reducing the exp curve or increasing the drop rate a bit.

Say certain things are not going to be in the cash shop.

Time that you would like the extra content to be released.

Then you translate some poo poo and call it a day.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
What are the ways to "level?"

Are there macros available to simplify things?

How is the battle system? How is griefing/reaving/murder handled by Trion? Can I kill someone on the first day/first few days of gameplay?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Angry Fish posted:

How is the battle system? How is griefing/reaving/murder handled by Trion? Can I kill someone on the first day/first few days of gameplay?

You can level by following the theme park quest parade. Overachieve every quest and you'll hit 50 long before you run out of quests. You can level by spending labor points on crafts, farming, fishing, mining, wild scavenging, etc, but if you aren't a subscriber you'll have a chronic shortage of labor points. Theoretically you could level just by killing mobs over and over and over again, but no one actually does that.

Edit: Trion doesn't care about griefing. Occasionally they'll come right out and say that certain things are exploits, but mostly they are willing to let you be a dick if you want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angry Fish posted:

Macros are not officially allowed but use of AutoIt is expressly and specifically permitted by their (laughable) hack detection as it does have legitimate uses for handicapped people. Get creative, don't get obvious.

If you're not using exploits or bugs to grief/reav/murder it's fair game. Have at it and bathe in the tears of stupid people.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is good in the same way age of conan was good. Very ambitious but poorly executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

Retooling for western audiences is not normally a whole lot.

Normally reducing the exp curve or increasing the drop rate a bit.

Say certain things are not going to be in the cash shop.

Time that you would like the extra content to be released.

Then you translate some poo poo and call it a day.

You really should make one of these things.

• Locked thread