Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The F-35 is literally the worst acquisition program, right? The tanker acquisition got hosed but seems small potatoes in comparison. There's that Army personnel program that had billions dumped into it for nothing but that still doesn't seem as big of a waste or at least as prominent.

The M2 Bradley was a complete shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Still is.

What a turd of a platform.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Even with the loltasticness of the story, my favorite thing about the whole thing is that they had to request a loving waiver from a general so they could paint their loving trucks a new color. That's the sort of cargo cult poo poo I hate about the military. Somehow the rest of the world can operate just fine with trucks and tanks painted all sorts of colors and just labeled properly, but since some checklist somewhere says it needs to be a certain color we have no room for rational loving thought.

50 Foot Ant posted:

Heat dissipation is one of the major hurdles of some modern technology.

But using the FUEL as a loving heat-sink just makes me envision the goddamn Challenger. I mean, I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but holy poo poo.

I mean, from the get-go everything I've read on the F-35 just seems insane.

Why don't they just put wings on one of the Old Sergeant Yorks and call it good.

Aviation fuel is not as volatile as you think it is. Dumping the heat output of some radars and computers into it is not a threat of fire or explosion.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 9, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fuel used to transfer heat away from components is just sensible. The E-3 used fuel to cool pumps and poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Even with the loltasticness of the story, my favorite thing about the whole thing is that they had to request a loving waiver from a general so they could paint their loving trucks a new color. That's the sort of cargo cult poo poo I hate about the military. Somehow the rest of the world can operate just fine with trucks and tanks painted all sorts of colors and just labeled properly, but since some checklist somewhere says it needs to be a certain color we have no room for rational loving thought.

i lost my mind when i found out that doing a press release for working with NASA required a 4-star's approval (and thus 3 months of lead time) so we just didn't get to announce anything at all

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

Not to go too far off the rails but that is the great thing about being a terminal O4, I do whatever the hell needs to be done. That's always sort of always been my approach but it's full throttle now that I'm approved for continuation. My current front office is cool with it and actually appreciates my ability to just get things done but I have a feeling my next command is not going to be so appreciative.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Fuel used to transfer heat away from components is just sensible. The E-3 used fuel to cool pumps and poo poo.

Yeah. Non-engineers are going to hate on it, but it's a rather ingeous work around to save space and weight in an aircraft. The problem is that for tacair planes the tanks are so small that they will heat up faster than on bigger airframes where is there is more fuel volume. Honestly, of all the myriad of stupid problems the F-35 has had, this one is relatively minor.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 9, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Not to go too far off the rails but that is the great thing about being a terminal O4, I do whatever the hell needs to be done. That's always sort of always been my approach but it's full throttle now that I'm approved for continuation. My current front office is cool with it and actually appreciates my ability to just get things done but I have a feeling my next command is not going to be so appreciative.

I've gotten pretty far using the same mentality really. At this point in my career I'm going to get fired if something goes wrong whether I follow every instruction or not, so I might as well use a critical eye when I do things. It works pretty well actually, because most people in the Navy are too chicken-poo poo to tell you to stop doing something anyway. They'll just tell someone higher up in their chain of command who I don't work for.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah. Non-engineers are going to hate on it, but it's a rather ingeous work around to save space and weight in an aircraft. The problem is that for tacair planes is that the tanks are so small that they will heat up faster then on bigger airframes where is there is more fuel volume. Honestly, of all the myriad of stupid problems the F-35 has had, this one is relatively minor.
It's a good idea, they just should have used their imagination as far as scenarios that could gently caress things up. In this case it happens to be something that is likely to be a common occurrence.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a good idea, they just should have used their imagination as far as scenarios that could gently caress things up. In this case it happens to be something that is likely to be a common occurrence.

Totally agree. Painting fuel trucks white is pretty simple fix. Storing the planes under covers isn't an earth shattering indictment either considering they were going to have to anyway in order to protect their LO coating.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every time someone posts about the F-35 I think of this:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

50 Foot Ant posted:

Heat dissipation is one of the major hurdles of some modern technology.

But using the FUEL as a loving heat-sink just makes me envision the goddamn Challenger. I mean, I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but holy poo poo.

I mean, from the get-go everything I've read on the F-35 just seems insane.

Why don't they just put wings on one of the Old Sergeant Yorks and call it good.

Drive a car built since about 1995? Obviously not to the same degree (no pun intended) but your fuel is keeping your fuel pump from overheating and dying.

Edit: Ok, so this has been beaten to death already.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Fister Roboto posted:

Every time someone posts about the F-35 I think of this:

For a comic not written by vets, Oglaf is surprisingly spot-on whenever anything military comes up.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
It's nice to know my instinctive "Holy poo poo, what are they thinking!" was wrong. :)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

low income black person who is expected to show up to work the next morning regardless of anything.

actually if they decide to show up at work its kind of a surprise

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spicy Guacamole posted:

For a comic not written by vets, Oglaf is surprisingly spot-on whenever anything military comes up.

Guy has a real eye for human and institutional foibles.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

oh you don't even know

Weaponized do-gooder has been one of my favorite phrases for a few months now.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The global hawk uses that same fuel as coolant idea for its electronics and I never heard anything about it overheating at Beale with it's 100+ summer days. Step it up F-35ailures

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The global hawk uses that same fuel as coolant idea for its electronics and I never heard anything about it overheating at Beale with it's 100+ summer days. Step it up F-35ailures

It's less about the same fuel as it is about different cooling requirements.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

speaking of which read germline

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea, I dunno why the F-35 program is just now getting to this issue. I also completely doubt we're getting the full story either. It's likely that they've never had to operate the jets in an extremely hot environment where this would be encountered. It's an issue, but a rare one. Guys can go their whole careers with never having to deal with fuel being too hot. I only know of it from anecdotes.

I'd be willing to guess that it's a combination of:

a) Not actually doing an "official" hot-weather evaluation yet since it hasn't officially hit IOT&E...and all the previous flying they've done at places like Edwards hasn't been under "operational" conditions so they've likely been using all sorts of non-operationally representative workarounds. Whatever hot-wx evaluation they did was likely done in a cooler climate and was likely done under the same contrived conditions.

b) Waiving a significant portion of the full-up hot-weather evaluation in favor of modeling/simulations/bench-tests/runs through McKinley/etc.

c) Fuzzy math on the previous two resulting in some fudging of the numbers and the "surprise" at realizing it was actually an issue when the system got to the field and started flying operationally (as opposed to DT flying at Edwards or Pax River or wherever).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

50 Foot Ant posted:

SR-71, too.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
OK, that's totally badass.

Can you picture the expressions on every other engineer's faces when the first guy suggested this?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

50 Foot Ant posted:

Can you picture the expressions on every other engineer's faces when the first guy suggested this?

:stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

joat mon posted:

SR-71, too.

The SR71 also used its fuel for hydraulic fluid. I read a great book by a former pilot who talked about how when the plane got low on fuel it would get bizarre issues caused by the hydraulic fluid being too hot. Amazing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The SR-71 really is the pinnacle of American gonzo engineering. It had so many crazy (awesome) ideas packed into one vehicle. :911:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If you guys want I can post schematics from the E-3 tomorrow regarding this subject.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The old Saturn V rocket used fuel for cooling as well.

In fact, I'm pretty confident in saying that every liquid fueled rocket uses its fuel for cooling.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

oh you don't even know

Weaponized do-gooder has been one of my favorite phrases for a few months now.

I remember seeing this, I had just assumed the author was a vet.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Posts now with 100% more fitting background audio.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Everybody loves news about the F-35, right?

For more fun reading, .

http://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

50 Foot Ant posted:

Holy gently caress, I worked on Force XXI at Fort Hood in the early 1990's (please don't kill me, your gear isn't MY fault) and it wasn't this goddamn stupid.

Scrap that piece of poo poo and start over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjTJB-_Yd50&t=159s

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llmgFZz3Iio

lol

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

50 Foot Ant posted:

The SR-71 did it so shut your toothless mouth gramps before you bad mouth the greatest goddamed thing this human being loving empire of ours ever produced :patriot:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I like to think the SR-71 ran purely on magic. Some of the engineering solutions they came up with make you wonder how they didn't end up with an SSTO spaceplane that fellated the pilot.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I kinda know one of the pilots that flew the 71 and he tells the best goddamn stories. By kinda know I mean I was introduced to him at a social event and I stood around while he told cool SR-71 stories.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Imagine having an SR-71 pilot as an uncle. The coolest dude ever.

Edit: fuel as a coolant. Here are the AWACS schematics.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2014

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I like to think the SR-71 ran purely on magic. Some of the engineering solutions they came up with make you wonder how they didn't end up with an SSTO spaceplane that fellated the pilot.

The SR 71 did run on magic and I will fite anyone who claims otherwise

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The SR-71 actually ran off of bottomless black ops Cold War dollars, which is pretty much magic in its own charming way.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Senate Intelligence Committee Report on the CIA just came out. Read it and GiP.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
This is going to provide a few weeks of DnD reading material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Senate Intelligence Committee Report on the CIA just came out. Read it and GiP.

This is America, someone go and snag some highlights for me.

• Locked thread