Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

Trails in the Sky 2 wraps up the story, yeah. 3 is just a bunch of sidestories/bonus things, like an entire game of post-game sidequests.

Doesn't it also setup the follow up games? In any case, it looks like so far Trails 1 sold pretty well on Steam. If Trails 2 sells well, there is a chance that Trails 3 may get released. IMO, they should say f-it after that and go with the new Trilogy, just skip the middle one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I see we've come back around the curve on Xenoblade. "OMG LOOK AT THIS WII RPG THAT MAY BE COMING HERE!", "IT'S COMING!", "IT'S HERE, IT'S GREAT!", "It's great, it's rare, I can't find it :(", and now to "It's in Gamespots everywhere as 'used' and it's a broken offline MMO".

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
xenoblade is great

gamestop selling """"used copies"""" for $10 more than retail is evil bull poo poo and i'm glad i got a "used" copy for 30 bucks a couple black fridays ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade is a fine RPG but it got really way overhyped as the second coming of JRPG Jesus for some reason.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That was louisgod's fault pretty much!!!

Really just ignore the side quests and it is still a 40 hour jrpg.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade is a fine RPG but it got really way overhyped as the second coming of JRPG Jesus for some reason.
I really liked it. :( It's like Tactics Ogre PSP, it's a pretty incredible game hampered by a couple of baffling design decisions you can cheat around or ignore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I really liked it. :( It's like Tactics Ogre PSP, it's a pretty incredible game hampered by a couple of baffling design decisions you can cheat around or ignore.

It's not a bad game at all! I really enjoyed it but people talked about how it reinvented the JRPG and so-on and most of what it did existed in other JRPGs already. It had a good battle system and a bad difficulty curve.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

same

after i feel done with smash or beat metroid prime gonna beat xenoblade again

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I want to replay tactics ogre PSP but I have no good ideas on how to make it interesting. Don't use archers, ninjas, and crafting only goes so far.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rascyc posted:

I want to replay tactics ogre PSP but I have no good ideas on how to make it interesting. Don't use archers, ninjas, and crafting only goes so far.
Actually use monsters and monster races with beast/dragon tamers!

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

How do you cheat around having to grind up a new class from level 1?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kubla Khan posted:

How do you cheat around having to grind up a new class from level 1?

With actual cheats.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Tae posted:

With actual cheats.

Elaborate?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kubla Khan posted:

Elaborate?

Are you asking for a specific CWCheat?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

It's not a bad game at all! I really enjoyed it but people talked about how it reinvented the JRPG and so-on and most of what it did existed in other JRPGs already. It had a good battle system and a bad difficulty curve.

Freaking sidequests killed my enjoyment of the game. I know I should just skip them but could never do that.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I have all three Gothics in my backlog, which one is best to try first? Is it important to go chronologically?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

foutre posted:

I have all three Gothics in my backlog, which one is best to try first? Is it important to go chronologically?

1 & 2 are great, you might as well. Plus there's a lot of recurring characters (especially between 1 & 2) so things will make a lot more sense if you play chronologically.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

oblomov posted:

Freaking sidequests killed my enjoyment of the game. I know I should just skip them but could never do that.

I've found that my enjoyment of a lot of RPGs in the last 5-8 years has increased substantially once I stopped doing any sidequest in a game that didn't sound interesting. I haven't played much of Xenoblade yet, but I really enjoyed what I did, and I've already marked some down as "no way in hell" quests. Collecting != fun.

My first pass at Skyrim, I did the same thing-- If it didn't sound immediately interesting, I didn't do it. I don't regret it, I absolutely loved the game and got through it pretty quickly, and my first replay was fantastic too.

Also, Dragon Age Inquisition. I love the game, but most of those quests can gently caress themselves.

On a different note, I'm most of the way through Terranigma, and it's an interesting experience. I definitely feel the legacy of Soulblazer and IoG. I know I tried playing it years ago, and actually quit because I found the towers kind of boring-- little did I know what a tiny slice of the game I saw! Are there any other RPGs like this, which start you in a relatively small world that kind of explodes in size and scope later in the game? Besides the whole WoB/WoR thing in FFVI?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

foutre posted:

1+2 are good. 3 isnt very good and you might as well skip it and buy the first risen if you want more gothic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

foutre posted:

Both 1 and 2 are good, though it's tough to go back to 1 after you've played 2. But if you're going to play Gothic 1, try and find the FPS unlocking mod. By default it's capped to something like 15fps, and uncapping it has no negative effects so there's no reason not to.

If you want the optimal experience, map the controls to a gamepad and play it that way. They were designed with a PS1-era gamepad and don't make a lot of sense on a keyboard or with a mouse. I don't remember if they have official gamepad support but since you don't need analog or anything you can just use joy2key or whatever and do it that way.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Ok, cool. Guess I'll start in with 1 then, fps unlocked and whatnot. Don't have a gamepad, but I've been looking for an excuse to get one so if I end up liking it I might look for one on sale tomorrow or so.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've picked up Tactics Ogre PSP again for some reason, trying to go through the post-game stuff. I really want to like the game, but it has serious issues; my characters' base stats have become so stupid thanks to levelling classes (I haven't even done a whole lot of it; I just raised those classes I actually wanted to use by changing 6-7 characters into it and then auto-battling to my normal level) and picking up cards that I can basically just activate auto-battle and walk over anything the game is throwing at me, at least right now.

Some of the crafting books drop off of enemies who may or may not spawn in their respective maps, and who may or may not drop a bag, which may or may not contain the book. If you can stand the annoyance of trying to collect the books, the crafting system itself will probably sink your motivation. I don't understand how anyone could stand to play the game without using an emulator to abuse save states and pump up the speed to ~250%. It at least makes crafting somewhat tolerable by speeding up that stupid loving pot animation and letting you get a x2 yield on Wootz Steel every single time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

My first pass at Skyrim, I did the same thing-- If it didn't sound immediately interesting, I didn't do it. I don't regret it, I absolutely loved the game and got through it pretty quickly, and my first replay was fantastic too.

I always get lost in Bethesda games and take too much time hopping into any random dungeon I see. I'm going to be replaying Skyrim soon and I think I'm gonna set the rule that I only go into a dungeon if it's part of a guild quest, and gently caress miscellaneous quests or any other random locations. Hopefully that'll mean I keep running into setpieces and keep the boredom of dungeon loops down.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't understand how anyone could stand to play the game without using an emulator to abuse save states and pump up the speed to ~250%. It at least makes crafting somewhat tolerable by speeding up that stupid loving pot animation and letting you get a x2 yield on Wootz Steel every single time.

The problem is, once you start using quality of life cheat stuff, it's really really hard to go back to enjoying jRPGs the normal way. It's just too painful, even if the gameplay/premise is awesome. And yet we keep coming back for more...

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Any idea when Suikoden II should be appearing on PSN today...?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

Because it's been only one of the very few big RPG's that people felt didn't need to asterisk with a "contains anime" on it or "Is actually a bad game" like we have to do with the more recent Final Fantasy's (excluding XIV)

Get ready for that hype all over again with Xenoblade Chronicles X!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Because it's been only one of the very few big RPG's that people felt didn't need to asterisk with a "contains anime" on it or "Is actually a bad game" like we have to do with the more recent Final Fantasy's (excluding XIV)

Xenoblade is full to the brim of anime. I'm not sure while British voice acting suddenly makes people not notice the anime-as-balls characters and plot but they're still there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Apparently British voice acting makes people not notice anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade is full to the brim of anime. I'm not sure while British voice acting suddenly makes people not notice the anime-as-balls characters and plot but they're still there.

Except it's not Persona, Akiba's Trip, or loving Hyper-Dimension Neptunia of things. Where they're pretty much out there to recreate anime. It's like old Final Fantasies where there's anime in there, but it's easy to ignore.

Hey, I like anime stuff. For people who don't though, well, I can understand how Xenoblade was more appealing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Except it's not Persona, Akiba's Trip, or loving Hyper-Dimension Neptunia of things. Where they're pretty much out there to recreate anime. It's like old Final Fantasies where there's anime in there, but it's easy to ignore.

Hey, I like anime stuff. For people who don't though, well, I can understand how Xenoblade was more appealing.

No, it's literally out there to recreate anime in exactly the same way Xenogears and Xenosaga were. It isn't recreating high school anime but it's heavily leaning on the same kind of mecha-and-action show stuff that those games did. That is the reason why the sequel literally has goddamn giant robots. Xenoblade Chronicles X had the producer hyping up (in Japan) that they had a Gundam writer helping with the story.

I don't mean anime in a vague "something from Japan" way. I mean, just like the previous two games, it literally references actual anime and is written and character-designed by people who regularly work on anime shows. One of the head writers for Xenoblade worked on GaoGaiGar and the Super Robot Wars TV anime.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 9, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's literally out there to recreate anime in exactly the same way Xenosaga and Xenosaga were. It isn't recreating high school anime but it's heavily leaning on the same kind of mecha-and-action show stuff that those games did. That is the reason why the sequel literally has goddamn giant robots.

You love being really obtuse don't you?

THE GAME DOES NOT LITERALLY LOOK LIKE AN ANIME.

IT ALSO HID IT FAIRLY WELL ENOUGH THAT YOU ONLY GOT INTO IT FAIRLY WELL OFF INTO THE CRAZY AS poo poo ANIME STUFF FARTHER INTO THE GAME.

I'm not denying that there isn't any anime elements or anything in there like you seem to think I am. I am simply saying if you compare this to other JRPG's for the Wii, and heck let's throw in PS3 as well. Like say, Arc Rise Fantasia, Hyper-dimension Neptunia, or Star Ocean. It was easier to play a game that A) Didn't look like they are trying to recreate anime right down to art-style, and B) Didn't include poo poo like Edgy Nappy Time.

So that made it a billion more times appealing, even if it did contain other dumb anime bullshit. Is that easy enough to understand?

It also helps that a lot of people liked FFXII and this was pretty much billed as that, but fixed up without dumb decisions (like FFXII not having fast travel) and there you go. That's why people liked it.

Edit: I don't even know why you're bringing up the Gundam writer for XBX. Did we apparently know that in the past? Yeah, we all know XB is anime as poo poo now. Your original question asked why people got into it so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xenoblade is a game with giant robots and a cute mascot that refers to itself in the third person

'hmmm... no anime here'

pictured: non-anime art

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

THE GAME DOES NOT LITERALLY LOOK LIKE AN ANIME.

It features brightly-colored wide-eyed teenagers, the lead of whom wields an improbable-looking sword that is also a lightsaber. The character designer is literally an anime character designer. Most of the secondary character designs are also either anime designers or video games that are super-anime designers. (i.e: A lot of them worked on Xenosaga and Xenogears too.) People in the Smash Brothers thread who didn't know Xenoblade kept referring to Shulk as 'another anime swordsman.'

I understand what you're saying but in this case you're wrong, except, again, unless you mean "it didn't look like Hyperdimension Neptunia" which isn't wrong but also kind of pointless. It isn't even like it is in a fairly westernized style or anything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 9, 2014

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

:psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xenoblade looks like an anime, it just doesnt look like the same anime as hyperdimension neptunia

'anime' encompasses a wide range of styles

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh My God who cares.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Oh My God who cares.
i believe you mean 'oh my goddess'

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

i believe you mean 'ah! my goddess'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh My God who cares.

I mostly care because it's bizarrely interesting to figure out what exactly makes people's switch flip from "anime, hiss" to "I want to play that." There isn't much meaningfully different about Xenoblade but for some reason it worked for people while other stuff didn't and it makes me curious why. I don't even mean "it worked in comparison to Final Fantasy" because that's easy to understand but just in general.

I'm not sure if it's just good word of mouth, something about the voice acting, or just people defaulting to anime as a shorthand complaint for something more substantial. It's interesting to see people argue so vehemently that it isn't anime when it's by Monolith Soft who I mentally think of as one of the most anime-heavy developers on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

just people defaulting to anime as a shorthand complaint for something more substantial.
it's this one