Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got to The Chest with one out of eight red hearts. On the second room, I killed Gluttony and went up to nine full hearts! Then I died to the double Adversary room. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

TheModernAmerican posted:

The best thing is that all of the Lost's unlocks (barring the D100) are just giant piles of boring free stats that just let you get those kinda fun but ultimately boring instant clear runs.

Also I've learned that it's Mega Maw, not Mega Man. I am a dumb.

The Soul is a really great defensive item with a completely unique effect (enemy projectiles curve away from you), the same is true for Godhead as an offensive item (aoe damage), and The Mind is 3 really good items (map, compass, blue map) rolled into one. Isaac's Heart is a bit crap most of the time but it does change up your playstyle in an interesting way. The only one that's just a boring pile of stats is The Body.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So Math posted:

I got to The Chest with one out of eight red hearts. On the second room, I killed Gluttony and went up to nine full hearts! Then I died to the double Adversary room. :suicide:

Seriously gently caress double Adversary rooms. I had an ace run get stopped in the Dark Room because I must have run into two or three double adversary rooms in it. I got my revenge today by rolling an absolutely amazing Eden run that involved high damage high range number one bouncing piss along with Infestation 2 and Mulligan.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Oh dear lord, Bisnap's latest run.

Here's how his lategame looks:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nastyman posted:

The Soul is a really great defensive item with a completely unique effect (enemy projectiles curve away from you), the same is true for Godhead as an offensive item (aoe damage), and The Mind is 3 really good items (map, compass, blue map) rolled into one. Isaac's Heart is a bit crap most of the time but it does change up your playstyle in an interesting way. The only one that's just a boring pile of stats is The Body.

The Body has one of my favorite visual effect though, plus an early one is basically giving you all the devil deals you want up front.

Isaac's Heart is the garbage one, I don't even pick it up unless I'm screwing around. It's like Guillotine in that on paper it should be good since it helps shrink your hitbox, but if you've played enough to unlock either item you're already probably accustomed to your default hitbox and it's more trouble than it's worth adjusting for the new one. I'd be interested in some kind of an Isaac's Heart challenge in the expansion.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Doctor Goat posted:

Is experimental treatment ever worth picking up? It doesn't seem to actually do the all stats up part of the description.
No, it's all stats down with a random chance to kill you on picking it up.

e:

Sebbe posted:

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

http://edmundm.com/post/104716687275/lets-make-a-dlc-together-part2

Ed's now onto phase two of his community involvement master plan, this time features he wants YOU to give him, simple things like Seed on death.

I suggested a Enemy gallery.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Crickets head + parasite + piercing + shielded tears = giant pile of exploding tears that forms an impenetrable bullet wall.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

RoboCicero posted:

It's never not funny how getting the Bandage Girl / Meat Boy achievements without Monster Manual cheesing requires an unfathomable streak of luck.

I did luck into completing Bandage Girl after grabbing a Book of Revelations. Though what really makes the unlock suck rear end is you need a stage four whatever now instead of just the stage three.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Does lump of coal affect brimstone?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Xeras posted:

It changes the color at least.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you get Eden when you pick random character?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Xeras posted:

+2 damage

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, after three full hours of resetting literally hundreds and hundreds of times to A) get an item room off of spawn, B) getting something useful for the little gently caress out of them, and C) starting in the Basement rather than the Cellar, I've come to a conclusion.

The Lost seems to be limited to start-of-game, before-you-unlock-better-poo poo items 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon, one of the 14 Special items will be in there (Mutant Spider, Soy Milk, etc) and once every few hundred resets you might get something marginally useful (Double Shot, Death's Touch) but those will be more rare than the Special items are. I don't know if something with The Lost is bugged or if this is working as intended, but you will never run across more useless god drat garbage as you will when trying to use The Lost.

All I wanted was to knock out Boss Rush so I could be done. I never made it to the Depths levels in that 3 hour period. Outside of playing on Hard, which is a frustrating slog on top of The Lost's already awful luck, I think I saw Monstro's Tooth, the Bean, and the stupid meme laser more times in the last few hours than I have in the... like 80 hours I sank into other characters.

It can't be coincidence. Those early-game items show up more frequently as this turd than anyone else. Also, Devil Room items seem to skew wildly in favor of 3-chest rooms and single-item rooms. On the rare occurrence you get more than one, they're going to be poo poo like the Hairball or Brother Bobby. I've probably been at The Lost for a good 20, 30 hours total now. I've seen Brimstone once. That's not normal. Brimstone isn't that rare.

I really wanna see what's going on under the hood with The Lost. I'm convinced he either starts with negative luck or is just drawing from a pool of items that's smaller and more limited.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

I can't say I had your problem when doing my Lost runs, I got whatever my other dudes would get, sometimes to my detriment, but never anything seeded some particular way.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In other news Onyxia deep breaths more often

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sebbe posted:

I love it when stuff like that happens to Bisnap just because he seems so genuinely happy when something stupid like that happens. Thank god that his run didn't end when he got trapped in the four traction beam guys.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Testekill posted:

I love it when stuff like that happens to Bisnap just because he seems so genuinely happy when something stupid like that happens. Thank god that his run didn't end when he got trapped in the four traction beam guys.

Am I mistaken, or couldn't he have bombed himself to death and respawned outside the room?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RiskyChris posted:

Am I mistaken, or couldn't he have bombed himself to death and respawned outside the room?

He could have but he just had to save and quit then continue and it respawned him at the entrance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ChibiSoma posted:

It can't be coincidence.

Yes it can, for a lot of reasons

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So someone earlier in the thread said that full guppy + Soy milk is a viable combo.

I was in the chest with pretty beefed up tears with a rather decent ROF, Soy Milk popped up, I said let's give it a go.

Everything still died but the massive damage nerf easily counter-acted the ROF boost. Don't pick up Soy milk ever, imo.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Testekill posted:

He could have but he just had to save and quit then continue and it respawned him at the entrance.
Has nothernlion run into that same utero 4 sucker head Room of Doom with the spikes and mom hands? I'd love to see his reaction to it.

I honestly don't know if that room is worse with or without flying, but it's the worst regardless. That room is straight up run-ending if you don't have the requisite speed to make the laps around the spikes to outrun the hands while also not getting caught by the event horizon.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RiskyChris posted:

Losing accumulated progress isn't a roguelike trope? You just might not be hardcore enough I guess :shrug:

If you're going to be intentionally obtuse you might as well suggest all the other characters plus any items you unlocked should be relocked too. Go whole hog!

Alternatively you could admit that that's exactly what happens when you're forced to start a new run at floor 1 when you die, but then you won't get to make a sick burn so I can see why that's not as desirable.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Everything still died but the massive damage nerf easily counter-acted the ROF boost. Don't pick up Soy milk ever, imo.

The only item that makes Soy Milk worth it is Libra. Maybe Lump of Coal does as well, I've never tried that.

Edit: Soy Milk and Ipecac is pretty hilarious though.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 9, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So someone earlier in the thread said that full guppy + Soy milk is a viable combo.

I was in the chest with pretty beefed up tears with a rather decent ROF, Soy Milk popped up, I said let's give it a go.

There's some kind of bug that makes Soy Milk max out your damage instead of dropping it to the minimum. I've gotten it twice. I really wish I knew what caused it.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

I've probably been at The Lost for a good 20, 30 hours total now. I've seen Brimstone once. That's not normal. Brimstone isn't that rare.

The item randomisation does seem a bit weird sometimes. I got IPECAC for the first (and second, and third) time yesterday, maybe 20 hours after I unlocked it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's for the best if you just ignore ChibiSoma.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Oxxidation posted:

There's some kind of bug that makes Soy Milk max out your damage instead of dropping it to the minimum. I've gotten it twice. I really wish I knew what caused it.

I've heard this is the case, some sort of under/overflow issue. Not exactly sure what it causing it yet, I'm sure the people who are thrashing out the damage formula have more details.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Some people just have problems with randomization. I played rebirth for 80 hours now and I've seen Ipecac once and gotten Brimstone like 20 times. Sometimes it just happens.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The only item that makes Soy Milk worth it is Libra. Maybe Lump of Coal does as well, I've never tried that.

I've had a recent run where I picked Soy Milk as the first item. It was great. I'm really starting to genuinely like that item.

Your shot damage is poo poo, true. But if you capitalize on your insane fire rate you're golden. In my case a few damage ups sorted my actual DPS and Dead Onion (spectral tears) allowed to easily exploit enemies. Items that give status/on hit effects are very good with Soy Milk because it's virtually guaranteed the effects get applied. Slow is especially useful of course, as is Mulligan. I easily got to the Chest, then I've become Guppy and everything just melted even faster.

omeg fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 9, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I had a great run one time with Soy Milk + piercing tears + max shot speed + Whip Worm + Rubber Cement. It was like the BoI version of the Matrix lobby scene.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Andrast posted:

Some people just have problems with randomization. I played rebirth for 80 hours now and I've seen Ipecac once and gotten Brimstone like 20 times. Sometimes it just happens.

I've seen brimstone only twice across ~150h, and only been able to pick it up once :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

omeg posted:

I've had a recent run where I picked Soy Milk as the first item. It was great. I'm really starting to genuinely like that item.

I didn't think soy milk was bad but then right after picking it up I had to fight super envy and the fight took about 3 minutes. And all I got was a loving penny.

Its not worth the potential agony.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't think soy milk was bad but then right after picking it up I had to fight super envy and the fight took about 3 minutes. And all I got was a loving penny.

Its not worth the potential agony.

Envy is always painful if you don't have great damage. Once I got Super Envy in the first room I entered :negative:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

omeg posted:

Envy is always painful if you don't have great damage. Once I got Super Envy in the first room I entered :negative:

Not going to lie, that's usually a run restarter for me.

It's not hard, but I don't like opening my Isaac runs with a full minute and a half+ of tedium.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

your dude done look like a shy guy

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is Soy Milk applied as a constant modifier, or does it just apply a percentage modifier to your damage once when you pick it up? It could explain the range of reactions people have, just from the order of pickups.

5 base dmg - 80% soy milk + 4 damage ups = 5 final damage
5 base + 4 damage up - 80% soy milk = 1.8 damage

A 250% difference just from ordering

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Heffer posted:

Is Soy Milk applied as a constant modifier, or does it just apply a percentage modifier to your damage once when you pick it up? It could explain the range of reactions people have, just from the order of pickups.

5 base dmg - 80% soy milk + 4 damage ups = 5 final damage
5 base + 4 damage up - 80% soy milk = 1.8 damage

A 250% difference just from ordering

Also interested in this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gnawed Leaf+Daddy's Long Legs+ Guillotine+Dry Baby= I beat the chest without having to move at all

edit: and Gemini as well!

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
edit: wrong thread