Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

a system of free movement allowing people to work where they like to address the problem of a regional skills mismatch [...] but noooo, that's impossible because its hard for businesses to make profits if that were to happen.

aw poo poo my time machine took me back to 1351 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Prince John posted:

We've really got to find a better way of matching unemployment with desired skills. Is there any way to do it other than governments guessing at what skills will be in demand a few years down the line and funding training programs accordingly? Does the government get involved in targeted skills development at all?
AFAIK, there isn't really a lack of qualified construction industry workers per se, it's just that the industry's been made very unattractive because the big builders don't want to take people on regular contracts, they want to hire them as independent subcontractors and fire them as soon as each project's completed, so workers can't have any job security. Bricklaying in particular is very seasonal, so people can perhaps make a good wage for a few months or weeks and then get naff all for the rest of the year (there's a reason the article quotes weekly rates rather than annual incomes...). As a result, a lot of skilled people have struck out on their own to get more security and regular income. If the big builders really wanted to get a steady reliable supply of skilled labour, they could do it overnight; take their "£500-£1000 per week" and turn it into a £26k/year contract, accepting that this means that they will sometimes be paying people to sit around at home doing nothing in between projects.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Also it's unsurprising if they can't find many workers after blacklisting a shitload of them and many others then refusing to work for the company out of principle.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Surely there are bricklayers literally fountaining out of job centres what with all these apprenticeships the government is trumpeting. That's what apprenticeships still are, right? Learning a skilled trade? Right guys?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

Surely there are bricklayers literally fountaining out of job centres what with all these apprenticeships the government is trumpeting. That's what apprenticeships still are, right? Learning a skilled trade? Right guys?

Last time I checked it was learning to stack shelves in Tesco, or answering phones in a call centre.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

namesake posted:

Well we could have a system of free movement allowing people to work where they like to address the problem of a regional skills mismatch combined with strong welfare to prevent failing living standards from large movements in the working population but noooo, that's impossible because its hard for businesses to make profits if that were to happen.

That sounds a bit to much like central planning to me and that interferes with the free market.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I had to go back to the loving jobcentre today for the first time in 2 years. I have to go back tommorow for first sign on. I was told my 3 options are a 'course' (dunno what that means) signing every day (inpractical) or slave labour (will turn to crime first).

How about that for depressing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Seaside Loafer posted:

I had to go back to the loving jobcentre today for the first time in 2 years. I have to go back tommorow for first sign on. I was told my 3 options are a 'course' (dunno what that means) signing every day (inpractical) or slave labour (will turn to crime first).

I'd pick the course of those three, though ironically it will leave you little time to actually apply for jobs.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Find out more about the course then see if it is more of a time commitment than signing on every day.

I thought you'd gone back to uni? Has that finished now or am I thinking about someone else?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

See if there's a course in bricklaying

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I thought you'd gone back to uni? Has that finished now or am I thinking about someone else?
I did yeah but im getting kicked out because of funding, apparently there is some weird bullshit where the SLC remembers that I repeated a year 20 years ago and no one noticed until a couple of weeks ago. Im almost suicidally pissed off, I was doing really well as well :( Everything has gone from happy ticking along doing nicely to complete loving disaster at a rapid pace. They are even going to bill me for this terms maint loan it seems.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

I believe he's already mastered that

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Phoon posted:

Im going to ask the guy if there is a foriegn language course, if they actually have one that would be great. If the only options are cashier skills im going to mention that I wrote the software for one of the first touchscreen till systems in the uk and probably know more about how retails systems work than any store manager ... for all the good it will do me.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

lol (bastard)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Seaside Loafer posted:

I did yeah but im getting kicked out because of funding, apparently there is some weird bullshit where the SLC remembers that I repeated a year 20 years ago and no one noticed until a couple of weeks ago. Im almost suicidally pissed off, I was doing really well as well :( Everything has gone from happy ticking along doing nicely to complete loving disaster at a rapid pace. They are even going to bill me for this terms maint loan it seems.

Could you get a career development loan from a bank to make up the shortfall in the SLC funding?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

What's the point of signing in every day? It's not like there are job postings that are only open for 24 hours.
When I was unemployed in Dumfriesshire, I lived about 10 miles from the nearest jobcenter and a return bus ticket was just short of £5 (and you don't get re-imbursed). I would have been fuming if they demanded I lose almost half my JSA doing something as pointless as that.
In fact, the jobcenter was useless in general. All they had were these little terminals where you could search jobs and print out the details. I could do the same search from home. I could also apply online at home, but not at the jobcenter. I could check other job sites and company websites and email CVs from home but not from the jobcenter.

The only purpose of the Jobcenter is to shame you and lower your self-worth.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

That's rubbish, sorry to hear that :( Hopefully it'll all get sorted so you don't end up having to pay it at least til you're earning whatever the student loan threshold is.

quote:

Im going to ask the guy if there is a foriegn language course, if they actually have one that would be great. If the only options are cashier skills im going to mention that I wrote the software for one of the first touchscreen till systems in the uk and probably know more about how retails systems work than any store manager ... for all the good it will do me.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, the course will almost definitely be 'How to be good at interviews' or 'Computer basics for people who don't know which way round to use a mouse'.

Edit:

bitterandtwisted posted:

The only purpose of the Jobcenter is to shame you and lower your self-worth.

That and to keep you away from your massive TV with full Sky subscription.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Could you get a career development loan from a bank to make up the shortfall in the SLC funding?
I didnt think of exploring that my credit rating is dreadfull, is that an actual possibility?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ddraig posted:

From my experience of being unemployed, you basically turn up at the job center, give a list of what you've done to look for a job, they look over it disinterestedly and send you on your way.

You will eventually be put on the work programme where you will be forced to work retail (no other placements are available) and after that you will be periodically called in to provide some more unskilled work somewhere else.

So in short: Hahaha, no.

What a hellish system. It sounds outright dystopian.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

What's the point of signing in every day? It's not like there are job postings that are only open for 24 hours.

According to the people at the Jobcenter (ha!) that's exactly what it's like. Postings that get put up in the morning and are gone by midday.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

:iiapa:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In rare "Politician being not-poo poo" news, Dennis Skinner slapping UKIP down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvGYAmpDxQ

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Does the JobCentre ever advertise anything other than retail work? Like, do they have their own job ads system or are you just expected to browse Monster.com from within that particular building?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
They have loads of jobs on their system a lot of which are chugger.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's the universal jobmatch, which last I checked was full of anonymous job ads, each one showing up about eight times because they were put on reed or monster or something like that separately for each region. And none of the ads are for actually reputable companies, because they only take people who apply through their own site.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dabir posted:

There's the universal jobmatch, which last I checked was full of anonymous job ads, each one showing up about eight times because they were put on reed or monster or something like that separately for each region. And none of the ads are for actually reputable companies, because they only take people who apply through their own site.

And unless things have changed, you explore this magical world through the worst touchscreen technology known to mankind

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Dabir posted:

According to the people at the Jobcenter (ha!) that's exactly what it's like. Postings that get put up in the morning and are gone by midday.

Makes you wonder why an employer would bother advertising this way, doesn't give them much chance of finding good applicants. Can only imagine that these are jobs which they've already earmarked a current employee/ known person / family member for, but still have to advertise for legal reasons. Would make them particularly pointless jobs to apply for.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'm very sorry to hear of this situation. It sounds eerily familiar, as something similar happened to my wife when she applied for student funding.

She originally struggled through two years of university in the 1990s, but left due to severe depression brought on by a messed up family situation (she was a neglected child from a very young age due to alcoholism in the family). Because she had 2 years behind her, her uni gave her a Diploma of Higher Education (basically a cert saying she'd done 2 years).

So, fast forward over 20 years and she felt she was ready to try again at the uni thing (having met me and got married in the meantime). However, the local college only offered the degree course she wanted as a split programme (2 years foundation + 1 year top up to full honours). Student Finance England conveniently rates a Diploma of Higher Education the same as a Foundation Degree, which we realised could be a problem as SFE won't pay out if the qualification you're going for is the same as one you already have (even if it's just a stepping stone on the way to a full degree). However, at the same time she had been forced out of uni due to illness, so there was some uncertainty as to whether this meant we could reapply for funding as though she'd never been to uni (there's conflicting advice concerning this).

Being relatively clueless, we contacted SFE and explained the full situation and asked if there was any point in applying. The adviser on the phone was very positive and told us to go ahead.

We did as we were asked, filled in all the forms and over the course of several months (and several phone calls) sent off various old medical reports on her depression to SFE, as well as testimony from her former 1990s uni tutor that her illness was legitimate. Finally, we got a letter from them saying we were entitled to funding. Excellent, or so we thought...

Less than a month later, we got a mail in the post saying that because my wife had an "equivalent qualification", she was entitled to nothing and that all money that SFE had paid out to us (or her college) had to be paid back. On contacting SFE, the adviser claimed to know nothing of the history of her case (despite the fact we'd been in constant contact for months), and claimed he could not help. His manager was similarly unable to answer any queries and seemed totally out of his depth. We've entered an appeal but are not hopeful anything will come of it.

I was irritated, not because my wife didn't get the money or because the reason they gave was wrong, but because we were encouraged to apply by SFE themselves, provided all the information and jumped through all their stupid hoops, only to have everything clawed back for a reason they'd had ever since we sent the first loving form off. In a way, we were really lucky that they retracted everything relatively quickly after agreeing to it, or we'd have been totally screwed financially.

There is no oversight of SFE by anyone it seems, and no real independent recourse for people whose lives are totally messed about because of their mistakes. The decision whether or not to go back into education, particularly for mature students, can have severe financial impacts. The fact that SFE can confirm and pay out funding, only to turn around and demand tens of thousands of pounds back at a moment's notice, only adds to the stress involved.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Galaspar posted:

Makes you wonder why an employer would bother advertising this way, doesn't give them much chance of finding good applicants. Can only imagine that these are jobs which they've already earmarked a current employee/ known person / family member for, but still have to advertise for legal reasons. Would make them particularly pointless jobs to apply for.

The implication I got was that they put the thing up and by midday they've had hundreds of applicants and have to close it or they'll never get through them all. Wouldn't be surprised really.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I got a job in university for the summer through JobCentre Plus with Arcedia Direct. It was advertised as a decent wage going door to door offering Scottish Power plans, but what it actually was commission work with no wage at all. Something I didn't even find out until I'd got until the end of my first month of 12 hour shifts, which had been pretty poo poo because it was a wet month and had rained like hell.

That's about when I realized that JobCentre Plus hadn't actually got me a job and I was self employed and due to commission cuts and them holding a portion of commissions for a few months in case of defaults I wasn't going to see much money for all the effort I'd put in. I should have probably have known it wasn't a job a lot earlier but I was dumb student who honestly didn't know better. I thought the job center was setting me up for work, not setting me up to get hosed over by a pyramid selling scheme.

Edit: Looking it up now, turns out the Mirror did an article on it a year after I quit.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2009/10/undercover-proof-of-arcedia-ru.html

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Did it say anything about On Target Earnings or OTE? All sales jobs use ludicrously improbable assumptions about how many widgets you'll sell when they calculate those.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 9, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Funerals are becoming so hard to afford that some people are burying relatives in their back gardens, according to an MP. :unsmigghh:

quote:

The Labour MP for South Shields said the average funeral had reached £3,551. [...] SunLife Direct's annual Cost of Dying report said the average cost of a funeral had increased by 87% since 2004.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zephro posted:

Did it say anything about On Target Earnings or OTE? All sales jobs have use ludicrously improbable assumptions about how many widgets you'll sell when they calculate those.

Never heard anything about OTE, might be a new thing. They said you'd sell around three a day, which was bollocks because most people were lucky to sell one. The whole time though they were never very forthcoming with any information, if you asked about wage they'd tell you average wages for someone working there and potential earnings but they'd skirt around the fact there wasn't an actual wage and they never mentioned I was self employed once.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Zephro posted:

Did it say anything about On Target Earnings or OTE? All sales jobs use ludicrously improbable assumptions about how many widgets you'll sell when they calculate those.

From the Mirror article

quote:

But, in a statement, the company told us that predicted wages would not be achieved in the first week and were "target earnings".

It added: "Our agents are free to work when they want and are not obliged to turn up on any given day.

"The targets set by Arcedia are motivational tools to encourage sales agents."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

hookerbot 5000 posted:

From the Mirror article
There you go.

As a PSA to any other teenagers possibly reading this: sales jobs are generally the pits, and anything they tell you about your likely commission is almost certainly bollocks.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If we're thinking about the same documentary (it was a three-parter) the lion's share of arrests featured wre from Operation Ore, and more than one of the men who went on to commit suicide was exonerated. Didn't matter, the local Plod had already let all his neighbours know exactly what he'd been arrested for.

Imagine what would happen to your life if tomorrow morning the old bill kicked your door in, seized everything more complex than an electric toothbrush in your house, and told all your neighbours/family/boss you'd been arrested for downloading child pornography. Your life would pretty much be over, one way or another, and I'd imagine suicide would start looking pretty loving attractive.

I think there were two documentaries that came out around the same time, one was mainly focused around Ore and the other was more focused on the day to day workings of the police who do this stuff routinely and featured ferret guy.

I'll see if I can dig up the names, they were interesting.

I think I read something recently that operation Ore caught up a load of people who had their cards cloned?

Obviously people who are caught up and falsely labeled as pedophiles shouldn't be driven to suicide, or have their lives ruined. But ferretman was somewhat lacking in remorse and as I said, he had actually featured in videos that showed him raping kids.

I know victims of pedophiles, some of whom have got away with it. I don't want to nudge nudge wink wink make jokes about prisons, the systems here and in the US are repugnant and there are clearly issues with the police individually and as an institution. But the small groups of people who whether police or social services who actually try to catch and prosecute these people deserve praise. I couldn't care less what happens to the perpetrators.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm now finding myself desperately applying for lovely data entry jobs because I had a bit of experience of that before uni. They pay abysmally and from memory are soul crushing, but I'm up for anything that gets me out of the JobCentre. I have a loving master's degree. What is going on with this country.

e: Oh yeah and my dad loves to get very confused and frustrated asking me why I can't find anything and suggesting that I'm just lazing around. It's loving ridiculous. I can't be mad I guess, in his day having any degree at all effectively guaranteed you could walk into a decent job.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Wait what they said that from the get go? I thought you signed every two weeks for the first six months or so, then they started pushing the course/slave labour poo poo on you after that.

If I recall properly from when I was 18, a 'couse' is just sitting around an A4E (or equivalent) office being talked down to and treated like scum for a few days. Beats slave labour I guess!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 9, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Saki posted:

This would be nightmarishly expensive and an absolutely enormous workload to administer. In an ideal world...

haha utter, utter bullshit. It'd be a piece of piss with a proper council housing infrastructure. Opt-in to register your skillsets and quals, job offer comes up, system matches your jobset to job and local council house, offer to move is sent.

What you mean is this requires a difficult and deliberately moderated housing surplus to safeguard us against hyperinflation without deflating the entire economy, and strong government social control of said houses. In a not shite world...

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Oh yeah and my dad loves to get very confused and frustrated asking me why I can't find anything and suggesting that I'm just lazing around. It's loving ridiculous. I can't be mad I guess, in his day having any degree at all effectively guaranteed you could walk into a decent job.

My dad did this, although not too much, before the company he managed a front for went under. He spent two years moving between gimmicky vehicle-maufacture firms for six months at a time, met Nigel Farage a bit, and now hates tories.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Spangly A posted:

My dad did this, although not too much, before the company he managed a front for went under. He spent two years moving between gimmicky vehicle-maufacture firms for six months at a time, met Nigel Farage a bit, and now hates tories.

Yeah, I think I've talked him round now. He's now more just confused and angry at the same things I am, but there's always that underlying feeling of disapproval which to be honest I imagine is pretty difficult to shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So the job centre's a lost cause, that's pretty obvious. What else is there? How the hell are we supposed to get into work these days?

Most likely answer: we're not, gently caress us.

• Locked thread