Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

prefect posted:

when someone talks about picante sauce, ask them if it is very picante

ehn, i speak dutch and our word for spicy is "pikant" so it doesnt work as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

ehn, i speak dutch and our word for spicy is "pikant" so it doesnt work as well

piquant is a word in english, but nobody knows about it, so we're safe on that front

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

prefect posted:

when someone talks about picante sauce, ask them if it is very picante

new york city ?!?!?!?

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

prefect posted:

piquant is a word in english, but nobody knows about it, so we're safe on that front

i know :mrgw:

i never heard it used to refer to taste though, but to things like biting satire or arousing images

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm pretty sure my current landlord is going to try and pull the same thing so when I moved in I took a billion photos and a few video walkthroughs.

taking it to court is always a bit of a spin of the roulette wheel because some judges are assholes. on the other hand you might get a judge like Tori got who rips the landlord a new one.

it's always worth a roll of the dice

use the legal system, people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

a corollary to the "don't rent to college students" rule is "don't rent from people that rent to college students"

the house next door to my dad's place sold to a college slumlord who turned it into probably-illegal apartments and now the douchebags that rent it leave cans of four loko all over the back yard and set fire to phone books in their "bbq pit" and rev up their bro-trucks allnight and bang skanky hoes

so my dad pees on their lawn.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

new york city ?!?!?!?

get a rope

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

once i was working at a mailbox-type place and when i left for a better job the owner dicked around with my last paycheck. i had been documenting everything so i got a civil hearing. the owner's response included several demonstrable lies so i was all ready to go to court but then there was a firestorm and the hearing was canceled. it was then rescheduled such that i would hvae had to take time off from my new and better job, jeopardizing that. i let it drop after doing the cost/benefit.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

newreply.php posted:

i just learned today that both the english word "curry" and the dutch word "kerrie" are derived from the indian word "kari", which means sauce.

now i get to be snooty to people who use it, before it was just ppl who say "oh i made salsa"

uh thats douchey

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also y'all don't seem to understand that you don't just rent to college kids

you illegally give rental preference to college students who appear to be the daughters of wealthy people

they are easily the best tenants

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

uh thats douchey

agreed....

but he has reminded me that there are people who call salsa "salsa dip" and :mad: :supaburn: :mad:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

same at oregon state except saudi arabia, and the UAE

my dad teaches there now (in geology too) , that will be fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at my undergrad university there was a jaguar limousine (not like a stretch limo, just the fancy gently caress-you car that only people with chauffeurs buy) with saudi diplomatic plates that would always park right in the middle of the footpath in front of one of the dorms

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my school was where rich kids went to grow dreadlocks and experiment a lot so there weren't many overt displays of wealth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

at my undergrad university there was a jaguar limousine (not like a stretch limo, just the fancy gently caress-you car that only people with chauffeurs buy) with saudi diplomatic plates that would always park right in the middle of the footpath in front of one of the dorms

i would have smooched up against it with my backpack and belt and bent a mirror every single time

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

uh thats douchey

i didnt use the word snooty bc i thought it was cool

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
apt chat: i don't pay pet rent (i think there was like a ~$250 deposit), i think there was a regular security deposit but it was only a few hundred as well. also rent covers water, sewer, and garbage. also the town i live in has its own public utility that buys power direct from the BPA, so our electricity is like half what portlanders pay.

fleshweasel posted:

same at oregon state except saudi arabia, and the UAE

lot of students from the gulf at portland state as well

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

carry on then posted:

same but the arizona uni no one's heard of

nau? nah asu has that as well. i had neighbors from saudi and the uae that threw around money like it was water. loved american muscle cars oddly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would have smooched up against it with my backpack and belt and bent a mirror every single time
This is the thing though: These kids are so rich they could give a flying gently caress.

The richest Chinese students here will have their parents buy them an audi r8 or some $80,000+ luxury car, they'll use it as their daily driver and park whereever the gently caress they want and just pay the tickets since it's nothing to them, then some of them literally just abandon the cars in the parking garage when they go home after graduating because hey who gives a poo poo I'll buy another when I get home

They only really managed to put a stop to the parking poo poo like 2 years ago when the campus police/parking people started relentlessly booting/towing their vehicles.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i just have the spare lambo airdropped whenever my daily driver gets towed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh i knew a pair of japanese kids when i was in school who were from a wealthy family and they would just tell their parents "oh, yeah, we need more money, $12,000 a month is just barely enough, america is soooooooooo expensive" and the parents who had never been to america believed them i guess. the girl started school with a brand new yellow corvette then decided it was too scary so she got a brand new yellow hummer h2 instead

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
basically working on this campus has basically had me blasted in the face with non-stop stereotypes; i don't know why it's so bad with some of the students here and like nowhere else I've been

There's a lane behind my parking garage with street parking and I've watched these students in said $80,000+ luxury cars spend over 15 minutes trying to parallel park in a spot that's like 2 1/2 car lengths long that my blind idiot self could just pull into with my fullsize F150

Like, they'll pull up, back in over the curb into the grass, pull forward, back right into the grass, get out of their car and peer quizzically at the car's position, then get back in and repeat this process for like 15 minutes

i dunno driving is different everywhere maybe it's them trying to be a "proper American driver" or something instead of just pulling in and hitting the cars in front and behind them like Frank Drebin and walking off like 'idgaf' at home

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
btw to get kinda back on topic: uber is about to be banned in brussels again, this time not because they dont have proper taxi licenses/insurance but apparently the drivers also dont pay income tax or social security. thats kinda hosed up imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

taxes are just tools of the welfare|nanny|fascist state to hold down the small businessman

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the uber guys are going to go to jail right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

born on a buy you posted:

nau? nah asu has that as well. i had neighbors from saudi and the uae that threw around money like it was water. loved american muscle cars oddly.

yeah nau. i'd expect asu and ua to have them since they're notable outside the state but it confused me how they found a dinky little mountain college or why they'd choose it over #1 party school asu

and hawaiians, nau must promote heavily in hawaii because i knew quite a few people who lived there

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

imo its just the drivers that are gonna get shafted and the uber guys will be "hey dont blame us for making you break the law in your country, blame the justice dept for suing you, for breaking the law"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also "we don't employ any drivers, we are just helping people find other people who need rides for a nominal fee"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fabricated posted:

No. they're going to be handed millions and millions of dollars, be credited as captains of industry and job creators, and when Uber melts down/wraps up, they will be the subject of bidding wars, and eventually hired by the Next Great Startup for ten times their Uber salary.

Sleep tight!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
From the last thread

quote:

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA posted:
LOUD - you will have people screaming, cheering, clapping, noise makers, loud music, etc ALL DAY EVERYDAY
Its a non stop pep rally and the farthest thing from a professional sales environment you will ever see.

Revolving door - 90% turnover - don't believe otherwise

35k base salary

Long hours - expect 10-12 hours a day to succeed for your first year - sometimes more

Job outlook - This job never gets easier, don't believe the hype. You will make even more calls tomorrow than you did today. There are 200+ sales reps calling the same zip codes, talking to the same agents, about the same product day after day.

Call time - you are REQUIRED to TALK 210 minutes everyday (no, the phone ringing doesn't count towards it)
You will be expected to hit this number every day. Skip lunch, come in early, and stay late but for gods sake don't miss call time. (this correlates greatly to the 90% turnover).

You will be told to stand up constantly. Some managers will even take your chair away from you.

You will be discouraged from ever taking time off. Management pretends they need advance notice to take your PTO. They will railroad you if you are sick and expect that you work anyway.

You will sell terrible advertising packages because you have a quota to hit. You know its not worth what it costs but you'll sell it anyway. (This is a flaw because the product can work well when sold correctly)

loving lol why do people work like this? Like wtf. I sell enterprise software, I started up and down the street selling loving copiers right after college. Im under 25 and over six figures. Im good at sales, I would never ever go in for this bullshit. Manager took my chair? The gently caress is this high school?

Some amateur hour bullshit

Smh

Reading this thread is loving nuts, tech 'culture' is so hosed and divorced from reality im just :catstare: the entire time I read this thread. I just don't get it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Waroduce posted:

From the last thread

loving lol why do people work like this? Like wtf. I sell enterprise software, I started up and down the street selling loving copiers right after college. Im under 25 and over six figures. Im good at sales, I would never ever go in for this bullshit. Manager took my chair? The gently caress is this high school?

Some amateur hour bullshit

Smh

Reading this thread is loving nuts, tech 'culture' is so hosed and divorced from reality im just :catstare: the entire time I read this thread. I just don't get it.

six figgies :eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Waroduce posted:

there's a very good reason that people keep making references to fraternities. constant "pep rally" attitudes? meaningless hazing activities like forcing people to stand for hours? never taking time off from "the team" for personal reasons a la "bros before hos?"

it's the worst of institutionalized power-abuse being sold as just the ~new way of doing business~

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Waroduce posted:

Im good at sales

i'm terrible at everything ;(

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

carry on then posted:

yeah nau. i'd expect asu and ua to have them since they're notable outside the state but it confused me how they found a dinky little mountain college or why they'd choose it over #1 party school asu

and hawaiians, nau must promote heavily in hawaii because i knew quite a few people who lived there

president crow would like you to know asu isn't even in the top 10 party schools anymore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I work in an office where someone complained that someone elses perfume was bothering her. I can't even imagine what vitriol dogs would bring (from cat people).

dogs in the office are hugely disruptive and just loving terrible

lots of people are frightened by dogs, allergic to dogs, or just plain don't want to deal with dog odors, dog barking, and dog piddle in the breakroom.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only thing worse than people bringing dogs to the office is having actual permanent dogs who live in the office

bringing your dog to the office is cruel to your coworkers

having a dog live in your office is cruel to the dog

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dogs in the office are hugely disruptive

uhh, yeha thats kind of the loving point

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we have a guy who sometimes trains diabetic alert dogs for an organization that sells them to ppl who need them. his dogs are rly well behaved and really stay the gently caress out of the way to the point that you dont notice them beyond 'ugh i wish i could pet u, ur a good dog'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the great thing about cats is that they're intensely territorial

no one is tempted to bring a cat out to a bar to hang

no one has ever tried to bring a cat into my office

your cat stays home and shits in a box and i never, ever have to see it or smell it or interact with it unless i am stupid enough to visit your terrible house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PuTTY riot posted:

we have a guy who sometimes trains diabetic alert dogs for an organization that sells them to ppl who need them. his dogs are rly well behaved and really stay the gently caress out of the way to the point that you dont notice them beyond 'ugh i wish i could pet u, ur a good dog'

what the gently caress is a diabetic alert dog for

it's 2014

how can it possibly be cheaper or better to train a dog than wear a loving insulin pump

edit: i just realized the answer is "san francisco landlords." you get a $20,000 diabetic alert dog in order to smuggle it into your terrible house despite the lease you voluntarily signed

• Locked thread