Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Won't somebody please step up and defend the honor of Starbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IronicDongz posted:

I think maybe you can make it bigger but you're not allowed and will not be allowed to actually make a custom one in the base game because Tiy thinks that many player's ships would look bad

Not that I think a poster in this thread would ever make poo poo up, but where did Tiy say this? Also how is a game that's going to be easily moddable prevent people from continuing to mod in their own ships?

Afraid of Audio posted:

I don't think anyone cares, personally.

Please spend more months following and frequently posting in threads about things you don't care about.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He is obviously speaking within the context of the game itself. The dragon dildoes mod does not mean the game has dragon dildoes. The custom-placed block ship mod does not mean that the game has custom-placed block ships.

e: im gay

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm mad that I was made to care about a thing, on the internet.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Please come here and act all high and mighty about trolls while not posting anything about the game

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Bilal posted:

I'm actually a highly balanced and mentally well person so I care so little about Starbound that my conscious mind literally doesn't even know about it at all, I only post in this thread in dream fugue states and have no memory of this thread or the game when I make my return from the spiritual world. Everyone else posting in this thread, however, heavily cares and is also insanely mad all the time about this game and this thread, which I do not care about.

You win the award for :effort: shitpost. Congrats :toot:

Arkitektbmw posted:

Onto actually not shitposting...have they entirely removed the boss fights? It seems like there's no way to summon the UFO anymore, however the bot maker table is still in. So I'm going to guess they just moved it to a later tier?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Cicadas! posted:

I actually really like this game, at least conceptually, and I hope for it to do well and become a robust platform for modders to dink around with.
But 8 months between updates can make a person sick of anything, and it's fun to post angry things on the internet.
Norn, if you're still reading this dead gay thread, tell your windowlicker boss to get it the gently caress in gear.

This is how I feel about it really.
I just want another stable update so me and my friends can play this again.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

An actual post in this thread. (He really hasn't posted since)

That was 6 entire months ago.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

IronicDongz posted:

I think maybe you can make it bigger but you're not allowed and will not be allowed to actually make a custom one in the base game because Tiy thinks that many player's ships would look bad

Maybe if you don't want people's poo poo to look bad, you shouldn't make a loving 2d minecraft clone?

Just a thought.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

poo poo and dumps

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

poo poo and dumps

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What I learned from Spacebase and Starbound: my time and money is better spent with complete and fun games, such as most AAA releases that come with a beginning middle and end, than getting indie poo poo that won't ever be complete.

Bob NewSCART posted:

poo poo and dumps

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Or maybe indie games that are complete?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pwnyXpress posted:

That was 6 entire months ago.

Once Bartwe and Rhopunzel left both Tiy and Molly dropped off SA. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nuclear throne is the only good early access indie title

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
but then again, it's basically been a complete, fun game for a while

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

nuclear throne is the only good early access indie title
Kerbal Space Program.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Clockwork Empires isn't especially fun at the moment but Gaslamp Games has a clear plan for what they want and a solid handle on game design, as evidenced by their weekly blog posts.

The problem with Starbound is that Chucklefish is just bad

Musluk
May 23, 2011

oddium posted:

Clockwork Empires isn't especially fun at the moment but Gaslamp Games has a clear plan for what they want and a solid handle on game design, as evidenced by their weekly blog posts.

The problem with Starbound is that
Chucklefish is just bad

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Someone got upset about my Steam review of the game, saying that I should complain about the lack of stable builds because the Nightlies.

It was like reading this thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Some people complain about the Nightlies being too buggy and deleting your save all the time, but I feel like that's balanced out by the fact that the nightly no longer launches at all anyway.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

"shits broke and I don't know how to fix it"

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Some people complain about the Nightlies being too buggy and deleting your save all the time, but I feel like that's balanced out by the fact that the nightly no longer launches at all anyway.

That's the spirit!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man Whore posted:

"shits broke and I don't know how to fix it"

To be fair, the post does tell people exactly how to work around the issue.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be fair, the post does tell people exactly how to work around the issue.

Alpha Testing!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like video games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I was trying to lay of posting in this thread but what in the actual loving gently caress.

gently caress

Just. why. :psyduck:

EDIT:

typed playestarbound.com into my web browser posted:

"but now it’s screwing up because Steam wants it to be in the same location as the current stable."
We’re sending in a support request to Valve on the matter. It might be as simple as “just add another launch option that’s valid on the other builds, but invalid on the stable, and it will try them all.
So, if this is true, then it's all Valve's fault for wanting them to put out functioning stable builds obviously :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 10, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay this is bugging the poo poo out of me.

XboxPants posted:

See the thing you linked there? Let's read it. Let's scroll down to the bottom of it.

quote:

So what does this mean to you?

The nightly on Windows and OSX (OSX was broken as well by the same change, even though it doesn’t use the launcher), you will need to launch the executable directly, rather than through Steam, until further notice.

It is bad and inconvenient that the launcher doesn't work. I'm not going to disagree on that. However, it's disingenuous to say that it doesn't launch, to imply that it is unlaunchable, when it is not and the very devpost that made most people aware of said issue informed anyone who might be affected by it to make it a non-issue.

Christ.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo posted:

Won't somebody please step up and defend the honor of Starbound.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay this is bugging the poo poo out of me.

See the thing you linked there? Let's read it. Let's scroll down to the bottom of it.

It is bad and inconvenient that the launcher doesn't work. I'm not going to disagree on that. However, it's disingenuous to say that it doesn't launch, to imply that it is unlaunchable, when it is not and the very devpost that made most people aware of said issue informed anyone who might be affected by it to make it a non-issue.

Christ.

This is not a new issue. That post was posted today. I tried to install the Starbound nightly two weeks ago and it crashed on launch. They are just figuring it out now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bilal posted:

This is not a new issue. That post was posted today. I tried to install the Starbound nightly two weeks ago and it crashed on launch. They are just figuring it out now.

Nah, it worked recently, I've used it and others have posted about it as well. You probably had old save files, you need to delete (or move) old saves or the nightly will often crash because of incompatibilities, extremely common issue.

Just joking around man, settle down. Yes the game still works fine if you know to not use the launcher, but for an average person who just tries to opt-in to the nightly and play it, it'll just crash for seemingly no reason. There's a solution, yes, but is a pretty seriously problem that's worth making fun of.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bilal posted:

Well forgive me for not knowing since everyone and their brother was too busy threadshitting instead of saying "oh my god the nightly builds won't launch".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well forgive me for not knowing since everyone and their brother was too busy threadshitting instead of saying "oh my god the nightly builds won't launch".

Don't worry he's wrong anyway.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2omdzv/nightly_discussion_thread_for_december_08_2014/

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2oq8ur/nightly_discussion_thread_for_december_09_2014/

Dec 8 you'll see a couple people talking about playing the Nightlies as normal, then suddenly Dec 9 you see the talk about the crash error.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 10, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Please XboxPants, stop, I don't want to be seen agreeing with you.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Are you even trying anymore Man Whore?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Arkitektbmw posted:

Are you even trying anymore Man Whore?
I never tried and I have no idea what gave you the idea that I did .

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 10, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Man Whore posted:

I never tried and I have no idea what gave you the idea that I did .

pls tell me about spherical cats

least malicious-sounding red title ever

Oh, also

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
You can give feedback in a chat right now!
http://playstarbound.com/nightly-feedback/

Which means you can tell people combat is bad and have them whiteknight the game for 5 minutes.

edit:
dev response on energy being used for movement and ammo:
"i think that movement and combat sharing an energy pool is positive because it creates a tradeoff between multiple things that are important in combat"
:(

Doggboat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The word "balance" is not a legitimate answer to any question! Why is this notion something that is accepted? Why is it a crime to want measured, civil discourse?
Why would you even open an AMA if you weren't planning to give anything but the most trite and evasive responses possible?
I'm actually mad right now! :argh:

• Locked thread