Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

And as a properly ratified treaty, the UN Convention Against Torture requires Barack Obama and Eric Holder to prosecute those responsible - they have declared that torture did take place.
I'm sure that they will carry out their Constitutionally mandated duty to prosecute, at very least because the opposition party is very adamant that the executive carry out Constitutionally obligated laws.

I absolutely agree. Barack Obama was a constitutional lawyer and has spoken out in the past about the importance of these very issues we are discussing.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will do the right thing and in the face of these revelations bring appropriate charges against those reasonably suspected of committing crimes which are prohibited under United States law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stultus Maximus posted:

And as a properly ratified treaty, the UN Convention Against Torture requires Barack Obama and Eric Holder to prosecute those responsible - they have declared that torture did take place.
I'm sure that they will carry out their Constitutionally mandated duty to prosecute, at very least because the opposition party is very adamant that the executive carry out Constitutionally obligated laws.

Seriouspost: we're going to be having a new attorney general appointment process soon. "Will you prosecute the war crimes in revealed in the Senate's torture report?" will be a nice question to ask her. Odds that someone actually does? 20 for / 80 against, I'd say.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

TEAYCHES posted:

I absolutely agree. Barack Obama was a constitutional lawyer and has spoken out in the past about the importance of these very issues we are discussing.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will do the right thing and in the face of these revelations bring appropriate charges against those reasonably suspected of committing crimes which are prohibited under United States law.

He'll get right on that when he gets a break from summarily executing US Citizens via drone.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seriouspost: we're going to be having a new attorney general appointment process soon. "Will you prosecute the war crimes in revealed in the Senate's torture report?" will be a nice question to ask her. Odds that someone actually does? 20 for / 80 against, I'd say.

Seriouspost: I would love to see Uruguay or Sweden or someone arrest Eric Holder or Barack Obama the minute he sets foot outside the US come 2017.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

i know you're trolling but it's so removed from the realm of possibility that anyone could believe this it lacks punch

He's not trolling. He's posting from a happier universe. :unsmith:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As if a Republican Senate would ever confirm someone willing to prosecute good men and women for just doing their jobs to protect this country.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

He'll get right on that when he gets a break from summarily executing US Citizens via drone.

The summary execution of possible suspects in the undeclared War On Terror is justified under article "gently caress this country" section "Barack H. Obama is a literal war criminal" clause "the United States Government is a cartoon villain on the level of Cobra."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As if a Republican Senate would ever confirm someone willing to prosecute good men and women for just doing their jobs to protect this country.

What would Reagan do?

St. Ronnie posted:

The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of [this] Convention. It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.

The core provisions of the Convention establish a regime for international cooperation in the criminal prosecution of torturers relying on so-called ‘universal jurisdiction.’ Each State Party is required either to prosecute torturers who are found in its territory or to extradite them to other countries for prosecution

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

TEAYCHES posted:

The summary execution of possible suspects in the undeclared War On Terror is justified under article "gently caress this country" section "Barack H. Obama is a literal war criminal" clause "the United States Government is a cartoon villain on the level of Cobra."

seriously. The "legal justification" for it was just...wow. Don't get me wrong...the guy was an rear end in a top hat. But jeez. talk about lovely precedent.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Seriouspost: I would love to see Uruguay or Sweden or someone arrest Eric Holder or Barack Obama the minute he sets foot outside the US come 2017.

Yep, Sweden would have great standing.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Xandu posted:

Yep, Sweden would have great standing.

Hong Kong?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Honestly, from just a practical perspective the government should break up the CIA. It's got a legacy of horrendous failures and I think that other existing government agencies could pick up most of the legitimate work that is supposed to be done there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They detained and rendered a dissident to Libya.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

goatse.cx posted:

Hong Kong?

The US and the Triads have a close working relationship.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

New Division posted:

Honestly, from just a practical perspective the government should break up the CIA. It's got a legacy of horrendous failures. And I think that other existing government agencies could pick up most of the legitimate work that is supposed to be done there.

I don't see it. That ignores how much of this comes from policymakers. Read Jack Goldsmith or Barton Gellman's books on this period. There was huge demand from Cheney and parts of the White House to authorize this.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Xandu posted:

They detained and rendered a dissident to Libya.

Try to guess the kind of torture people received who we rendered to Libya, Syria and Egypt.

No one will ever be held accountable for this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xandu posted:

I don't see it. That ignores how much of this comes from policymakers. Read Jack Goldsmith or Barton Gellman's books on this period. There was huge demand from Cheney and parts of the White House to authorize this.

Policymakers come and go but the CIA has a pretty unbroken string of atrocities through its entire existence.
The agency is rotten to the core and should be dissolved.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Today, I am embarrassed to be an American citizen. We, as Americans, traditionally waged war against other countries who employed torture with righteous fury. We used to hold the moral high ground. Now we are no better than your run of the mill military dictatorship. There should be the equivalent of the Nuremberg trials for Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, and Holder/Obama. We crossed a line we have never crossed, nor should we have. Disgusting.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, this thread was nice while it lasted.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Welp, this thread was nice while it lasted.

Do you disagree with the assertion that those who enabled this illegal torture to occur should be prosecuted under United States law?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PgIKAukheo#t=251

Starts in the middle, just watch 15 seconds. We really have crossed over to the onionverse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rockopete posted:

Starts in the middle, just watch 15 seconds. We really have crossed over to the onionverse.

Jesus christ. This is a real thought someone had.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I honestly want to hear nuanced views on how sticking hoses up stretched anuses, pumping in slush, after water boarding, hitting their broken legs, shouldn't be actively pursued by the United States Justice Department with charges leveled against senior officials for crimes against humanity.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

Do you disagree with the assertion that those who enabled this illegal torture to occur should be prosecuted under United States law?

I was referring to Farking Bastage's post probably causing a shitshow. I don't disagree with that at all, but it's not going to happen any more than the Reagan administration was prosecuted for Iran Contra. This is just too big and too deep to get anything other than some token fall guys if it came down to it. I would much rather the emphasis be on reigning in the CIA and setting in controls that would prevent this type of operation from happening in the future instead of sending some nameless dudes to jail a decade after the fact like it means something.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rockopete posted:

holy poo poo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

What really gets me about all of this is the assertion, from the President himself, that this is all in the past and we have to look forward.

That's not how breaking the law works. It's especially not how breaking the United Nations Convention Against Torture works.

This kind of rationale is so unbelievably repugnant and gross.

What's the statute of limitations on torture?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

I honestly want to hear nuanced views on how sticking hoses up stretched anuses, pumping in slush, after water boarding, hitting their broken legs, shouldn't be actively pursued by the United States Justice Department with charges leveled against senior officials for crimes against humanity.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nistration.html

this is about as close as yer gonna get

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

I hope you're right, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Republicans are literally going to fall on their own swords before selling out Bush and Cheney.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Job Truniht posted:

The Republicans are literally going to fall on their own swords before selling out Bush and Cheney.

Yeah, they're hosed if they want to stop this, those that do. With no prosecutions its only a matter of time before another administration decides to "take the gloves off".

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

TEAYCHES posted:

What really gets me about all of this is the assertion, from the President himself, that this is all in the past and we have to look forward.

That's not how breaking the law works. It's especially not how breaking the United Nations Convention Against Torture works.

This kind of rationale is so unbelievably repugnant and gross.

What's the statute of limitations on torture?

I really hope this boomerangs and causes the word "patriot" to become synonymous with "person who raped another person with a feeding tube."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

Yeah, they're hosed if they want to stop this, those that do. With no prosecutions its only a matter of time before another administration decides to "take the gloves off".

Obama could create a precedent of criminality for these actions by blanket pardoning everyone in the Bush administration for torturing people. Which would effectively be admitting that they were criminals.

However he won't take any action at all because he's a coward.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Barack Obama is complicit with the grossest crimes imaginable. This has turned into an IRL goatse joke.

He is a piece of poo poo, and a bad president, poo poo, pee pee. But really.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

Barack Obama is complicit with the grossest crimes imaginable. This has turned into an IRL goatse joke.

What presidents other than Carter would you place on the list of "not complicit with the grossest crimes imaginable" or is the butt part worse than everything else ever?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

What presidents other than Carter would you place on the list of "not complicit with the grossest crimes imaginable" or is the butt part worse than everything else ever?

Garlic and hummus up the rear end, ouch

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Literally. Human beings were penetrated by dildo wands and injected with Mediterranean cuisine.

TEAYCHES posted:

It certainly explains his lackluster, halting tone when chiding other nations for human rights abuses

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

I voted for Obama twice.

So yeah, this isn't worse than anything else. Carter hosed up South America too in his term.

Let me have my moment. I feel partly responsible for this torture.

But maybe I shouldn't now because I'm pretty sure this isn't a democracy? IDK, lmao.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

Garlic and hummus up the rear end, ouch

That's bad and all, but really is it worse than the internment camps, the fact we anally probe our own citizens, or giving black people STDs just for "science"?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Trabisnikof posted:

That's bad and all, but really is it worse than the internment camps, the fact we anally probe our own citizens, or giving black people STDs just for "science"?

The past is a foreign country. This is here and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

It just stays with you. In 500 years the lawless Bush/Obama regime will be remembered as war, waterboarding and lebanese pilates shakes up the rear end.

• Locked thread