Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which was dumb because the video wasn't good enough to justify the entire thing being silent

It was supposed to be a silent video since it started as just a little thing he was doing. Which I could understand if he didn't want jarring mashed together voice clips used in a lot of SFMs or to use their own voice acting for the video. But since Valve offered to help, this was a missed chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Man, that map must have been really loving complicated if it couldn't get official but there's Doomsday, Steel, and even that robot destruction thing in beta.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Man, that map must have been really loving complicated if it couldn't get official but there's Doomsday, Steel, and even that robot destruction thing in beta.
The map is no more complicated than what is currently in the game.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Trabisnikof posted:

Did anyone from valve actually hype the update? Or was it just the people who made the video and might have misunderstood what was happening with the update?

The TF2 subreddit hyped the poo poo out of the thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I liked the part in the video where they characterized the Heavy as BIG DUMB IDIOT MAN WHO CAN'T PLAY CHESS DURR :downs: despite Valve releasing a comic just a few months ago driving home the (much more interesting imo) concept of him being smart and brawny but not very talkative.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I liked the part in the video where they characterized the Heavy as BIG DUMB IDIOT MAN WHO CAN'T PLAY CHESS DURR :downs: despite Valve releasing a comic just a few months ago driving home the (much more interesting imo) concept of him being smart and brawny but not very talkative.

Yes, the Heavy being bad and slow at playing chess or the Medic being terribly impatient is just them making GBS threads all over the well established lore of the Heavy's intelligence.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, the Heavy being bad and slow at playing chess or the Medic being terribly impatient is just them making GBS threads all over the well established lore of the Heavy's intelligence.

I don't know if you're trying to mischaracterize me by calling it "lore" but I stated directly there that I disliked it because I feel like "big fat man with big gun is dumb lol" is a pretty lame trope.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Huh, when did everyone start hating Steel? It's been my favorite official map for a long time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think it's a little silly to say that him not knowing how to play chess means he's a big dumb idiot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chess, the gold standard of whether someone is a big dumb idiot or not.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Steel is the Thinking Man's Map.

Ariong posted:

I think it's a little silly to say that him not knowing how to play chess means he's a big dumb idiot.

It's a trope of the Soviet intellectual to be good at chess, and it's one the game reinforces in a couple Soldier->Heavy domination lines (the Soldier in this case legitimately being roughly doglike in terms of both his smarts and his loyalty to his friends).

Reiley fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 10, 2014

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ariong posted:

The Heavy reacts to the Medic playing a pawn by exposing his queen(?) and then smiles like a big dumb idiot while the Medic looks on in comedic frustration. I think the implication is pretty clear.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lady Naga posted:

The Heavy reacts to the Medic playing a pawn by exposing his queen(?) and then smiles like a big dumb idiot while the Medic looks on in comedic frustration. I think the implication is pretty clear.

Oh, yeah. Well, I guess you're right. I will say, however, that most people who play TF2 probably do not know that the heavy is anything but a dumb guy with a big gun, so it's not a huge gaffe.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The heavy's smart, but he doesn't think fast. He'd probably beat the Medic at chess, but take ages on even simple turns. Which is compatible enough with what we saw in this short, if you interpret the "first move, king jumps to center of board to capture pawn" thing as a joke.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm sorry to derail the hate but why doesn't Heavy have a Chess Boxing-themed hat yet?

Actually the TF2 Chess set is now on sale at ThinkGeek for $40 (and I think you can take another $10 for the rest of the day) so maybe I'll just buy that and have my own Chess Boxing Heavy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I'm sorry to derail the hate but why doesn't Heavy have a Chess Boxing-themed hat yet?

Actually the TF2 Chess set is now on sale at ThinkGeek for $40 (and I think you can take another $10 for the rest of the day) so maybe I'll just buy that and have my own Chess Boxing Heavy.

There's plenty of questions that haven't been answered in regards to TF2. Why doesn't the Pyro have a Fire Extinguisher canister to complete the firefighter loadout? Why did the Scout get the ninja outfit and not the Spy? How come the Engineer doesn't talk about anything Texas-like such as BBQ and how big his belt buckle is?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

There's plenty of questions that haven't been answered in regards to TF2. Why doesn't the Pyro have a Fire Extinguisher canister to complete the firefighter loadout? Why did the Scout get the ninja outfit and not the Spy? How come the Engineer doesn't talk about anything Texas-like such as BBQ and how big his belt buckle is?

The Scout got the ninja outfit because he's from boston and part of the set is called The Red Socks.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!
New update. Oh man, that missed note.

Team Fortress 2 Update Released posted:

The major changes include:

• Fixed a client crash related to the material system
  • Fixed the Restore command not working properly in the backpack panel's context menu
  • Fixed a crash in the item import tool
  • Fixed updating Duck Journal stats from ducks created on servers using sv_cheats
  • Fixed the Taunt: Pool Party item to fix a problem with the pool not scaling smoothly
  • Updated the materials for the Hunter Heavy and the North Polar Fleece

Notes missed from the previous update:

• End of the Line Key, Duck Journal, and Duck Token sales support the End of the Line team

Redesigned the backpack panel:

• Clicking on an item creates a context menu that lists the valid actions for that item
  • The context menu replaces the buttons that were used for interacting with items

fujifisher fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh, when did everyone start hating Steel? It's been my favorite official map for a long time.

Steel is sweet and I'll fight anybody that says OH MY GOD I CAN'T FOLLOW GIANT ARROWS OR ALPHABETICAL ORDER but it really is probably the last frontier of complexity that maps should be doing.

Reiley posted:

It's a trope of the Soviet intellectual to be good at chess, and it's one the game reinforces in a couple Soldier->Heavy domination lines (the Soldier in this case legitimately being roughly doglike in terms of both his smarts and his loyalty to his friends).

Yeah seriously. You can overthink it all sorts of ways to read it as something other than "Heavy is dumb" but present a guy whose first move is a King leaping across the board to kill a single pawn without any other context and the goddamn takeaway is "this guy isn't very bright."

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Instead of doing something smart he just wins by brute force (much like with the train).

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

I'm a complete loving idiot who is easily amused by killing people and watching them explode into a cloud of ducks :v:
And then running over those ducks and quack quack quack quack!
$15 well spent.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Captain Invictus posted:

Mine too, and I find its a good way to measure whether someone is an idiot or not. Does said person find Steel confusing or thinks it's a bad map? If yes, idiot.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The most fun I've had on Steel is trying to cap E as soon as I can and watch how long it takes RED to show up.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The most fun I've had on Steel is trying to cap E as soon as I can and watch how long it takes RED to show up.

I made a mistake of joining a Valve server on Steel. New round, the round was juuuust about to start, and I said over comms "I'll go scout-rush E." Ten seconds later, my entire team was Scouts and we were all standing by the B exit taunting.

35 seconds after the round started we had won, and I was defending again.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Otacon posted:

I made a mistake of joining a Valve server on Steel. New round, the round was juuuust about to start, and I said over comms "I'll go scout-rush E." Ten seconds later, my entire team was Scouts and we were all standing by the B exit taunting.

35 seconds after the round started we had won, and I was defending again.
I found that, even on Valve servers, Scout rushing E is still kinda hard to pull off, so I thoroughly enjoy it when it happens.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I like getting there as a Pyro. The Scorch Shot gets you there no problem and airblast makes soldiers and Demomans less of a worry.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If you eat a steak sandwich you can just make the jump as a heavy and then tank rockets with the fists of steel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Although IIRC he professionally does similar cutscene stuff for Bethesda. I might be thinking of a different SFM-er though.
McVee worked on cinematic stuff on Mass Effect 2 and 3 before EOTL. I think he's gonna try his hand at indie dev now? Not sure.

The TF2 subreddit hyped the poo poo out of the thing.
Imagine how they're going to react when Half-Life 3 is announced and it turns out to be a mere videogame.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lately I've been playing with the Loose Cannon and Targe, so I'll use a Targe Charge to hop the gap onto E and try to cap that while shooting cannonballs into Red's spawn whenever they try to go after me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I like getting there as a Pyro. The Scorch Shot gets you there no problem and airblast makes soldiers and Demomans less of a worry.

I like using the powerjack to make the jump so that I can pack a regular flaregun for shooting half-assedly at RED.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

It's more that those maps trade off some new and interesting mechanic in place of consistency. snowplow mechanically worked exactly the same as any attack+defence map but with a really unnecessarily obscure scoring/time system. It could have used the normal a+d point system with nothing lost in how the map plays.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I think the main reason that people are upset is that TF2 hasn't gotten a lot of attention in a while. Yeah there was that Halloween update, but it was kind of lackluster, and aside from the Love and War update, we did't get much. People are afraid that TF2 is a dead game now, and when nothing but a video and some cosmetics comes out as an update, that's not really making things better.

Valve is just fortunate that this didn't blow up into another "give diretide."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Someone else said it earlier, but: I think most of us play TF2 for the core game itself. Even if we didn't get updates, we'd still play it.

The thing is that events draw new players in and keep interest in the game alive.

On a more positive note: I was playing Crossbow+QuickFix Pubbie Medic on Nucleus. I landed a clutch arrow on a burning, low-health Demoman, and he went on voice chat to thank me for saving his life. Then our heavy went on voice chat to say, "Thank you for saving all our lives." :3: It's the little moments that make this game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Valve is just fortunate that this didn't blow up into another "give diretide."
The subreddit tried to kick off a "GIEV SNOWPLOW" but the admins started hurling permabans around and that shut things up really fast.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Suggesting tf2 is losing support is kind of a weird notion considering we got Love and War and the beta test maps earlier this year, and we know there's something for the engineer in the works. Like yeah, support for this old as balls game is slowing down but they're gonna continue making incidental updates for it for as long as it turns a profit. If they'd dropped support on it, we'd literally only see community cosmetic item updates for the rest of it's lifespan, and that clearly isn't the case.

I really wish someone at valve would take up the challenge of working out a better way to get community maps into the game, though, because new maps don't gently caress up the balance like new weapons do, and they are fun to play on and half of tf2's maps are terrible anyway. I don't know what the best approach would be to narrow the pool of every community map down to maps they'd like to even stick on the map beta testing servers.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I thought the movie was actually pretty good. In terms of the actual look, direction, and events transpiring I even liked it a bit more than Expiration Date, but I'll admit that it was definitely much rougher around the edges, especially the parts where the silence(which I still liked honestly) made things a bit fuzzy, plus the aforementioned Heavy intelligence complaint.

I guess it's hard for me to be disappointed in this update, since I didn't actually know beforehand that we were promised anything more than the video itself, and completely forgot about the map. What was the weapon that Valve supposedly released early, anyway?

The duck thing sounds pretty weak, though. Unless it really does work like an unlimited noisemaker, in which I might actually buy one.

Red Bones posted:

Suggesting tf2 is losing support is kind of a weird notion considering we got Love and War and the beta test maps earlier this year, and we know there's something for the engineer in the works. Like yeah, support for this old as balls game is slowing down but they're gonna continue making incidental updates for it for as long as it turns a profit. If they'd dropped support on it, we'd literally only see community cosmetic item updates for the rest of it's lifespan, and that clearly isn't the case.

I really wish someone at valve would take up the challenge of working out a better way to get community maps into the game, though, because new maps don't gently caress up the balance like new weapons do, and they are fun to play on and half of tf2's maps are terrible anyway. I don't know what the best approach would be to narrow the pool of every community map down to maps they'd like to even stick on the map beta testing servers.

Also I pretty much agree with all of this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

What was the weapon that Valve supposedly released early, anyway?
The Back Scatter, apparently.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So are the ducks a permanent part of the game now? I know TF2 has all sorts of wacky stuff going on but having exploding ducks pop out is somewhat distracting, and just a little too much "lol how random".

Also kind of bummed that the payload carts seem to have been redesigned. I don't like change dammit! :bahgawd:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

So are the ducks a permanent part of the game now? I know TF2 has all sorts of wacky stuff going on but having exploding ducks pop out is somewhat distracting, and just a little too much "lol how random".

Also kind of bummed that the payload carts seem to have been redesigned. I don't like change dammit! :bahgawd:
The event ends January 5, so I assume the ducks and the EOTL Payload carts will go away around then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Honestly, after watching the EOTL video I was really hoping Heavy was going to suplex the train, like Sabin did in Final fantasy

• Locked thread