Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActusRhesus posted:

seriously. The "legal justification" for it was just...wow. Don't get me wrong...the guy was an rear end in a top hat. But jeez. talk about lovely precedent.

the fifth amendment provides does not distinguish between citizen and non-citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The cool part is when we raped people and no one will ever, ever be tried for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Accretionist posted:

The past is a foreign country. This is here and now.

Well then the anal-feedings occurred in a foreign country then! Obama stopped them remember.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

What presidents other than Carter would you place on the list of "not complicit with the grossest crimes imaginable" or is the butt part worse than everything else ever?

You're right in that pretty much every postwar (at least) president is arguably a war criminal but I'm not entirely sure why it's relevant.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
American's don't care about brown Muslim dudes being tortured. It's only an issue if it is a hot white woman or a well-off well-to-do white guy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

With the release of this report, actual Murderers will go free.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

American's don't care about brown Muslim dudes being tortured. It's only an issue if it is a hot white woman or a well-off well-to-do white guy.

or cute animals.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

The cool part is when we raped people and no one will ever, ever be tried for it.

that's pretty much true of most rapes perpetrated by private citizens too tho

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When lightning struck my Cards Against Humanity game, I didn't realize a Freaky Friday situation would occur where reality would mimic my obnoxious and obscene Apples To Apples ripoff. Sorry everybody.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

rockopete posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PgIKAukheo#t=251

Starts in the middle, just watch 15 seconds. We really have crossed over to the onionverse.

Mary mother of fuckballs there is nothing not horrible in that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheOneOutside posted:

Mary mother of fuckballs there is nothing not horrible in that.

Yea but North Korea

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Debate and Discussion: We Threatened to Rape Some Folks' Moms

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tezzor posted:

Debate and Discussion: We Threatened to Rape Some Folks' Moms

Then raped them instead and told them we had to kill them so the world doesn't find out about it.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
At least they released the report. Not that anything will come of it, but at least future generations will know how morally bankrupt the CIA and the American government acted.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
At the beginning of the 21st century, you mean.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Barlow posted:

At least they released the report. Not that anything will come of it, but at least future generations will know how morally bankrupt the CIA and the American government acted.

We knew how morally bankrupt the CIA was when it covertly funneled arms and money to reactionary paramilitaries after Iran-Contra, and if I recall correctly that knowledge created the political will to prevent such mistakes since then.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The White House doesn't want to hurt the morale of the CIA through these trying times.

CIA functionaries: you are immoral pieces of poo poo who tortured innocent people and it was ineffective preventing future terrorism. You are evil fucks and you belong in jail.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We knew how morally bankrupt the CIA was when it covertly funneled arms and money to reactionary paramilitaries after Iran-Contra, and if I recall correctly that knowledge created the political will to prevent such mistakes since then.
We knew after the Church Commission revealed poo poo like COINTELPRO and their plan to drive Castro nuts by making his beard fall out and attempt to assassinate him with an exploding cigar in the late 70s. They have not and will not change because there is no institutional desire to make them do so, because they have all the dirty laundry on every person in power in the U.S. and any terrorist attack that occurs after they've been reined in gets to fall on whatever politicians voted to do so.

I'm beginning to see why most Americans just throw up their hands and change the channel rather than get politically involved. Nothing ever changes.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

TEAYCHES posted:

The White House doesn't want to hurt the morale of the CIA through these trying times.

CIA functionaries: you are immoral pieces of poo poo who tortured innocent people and it was ineffective preventing future terrorism. You are evil fucks and you belong in jail.

Seriously. Whenever I hear that the White House is worried about a leak or w/e because it'll endanger CIA operatives somewhere my reaction at this point is: "So?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TEAYCHES posted:

I voted for Obama twice.

So yeah, this isn't worse than anything else. Carter hosed up South America too in his term.

Let me have my moment. I feel partly responsible for this torture.

But maybe I shouldn't now because I'm pretty sure this isn't a democracy? IDK, lmao.

Ha ha, you voted for Obama after he explicitly refused to investigate (let alone prosecute) exactly what this report is about.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

http://time.com/3626957/yoo-senate-torture-report-feinstein/

God this is so good

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh Time Magazine, always there to carry water for fascists.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Torture Apologist John Yoo posted:

You have little information on future attacks, but you know that the enemy will employ unconventional tactics that violate the very laws of war.

:allears:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
To the surprise of absolutely no one.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i've gotten drinks with yoo and he is still utterly unrepentant so this doesn't surprise me at all. still good conversation-haver tho

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

TEAYCHES posted:

What's the statute of limitations on torture?

Morally there is none and why should we give a gently caress about what the law says it is?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

"Telling the truth is a form of accountability" Jesus loving Christ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Orange Devil posted:

Morally there is none and why should we give a gently caress about what the law says it is?

In international law there is explicitly no statute of limitations on torture, and it's a crime of general jurisdiction, so other countries can prosecute torturers they catch. If nothing else, none of the torture enablers will be able to travel internationally for the rest of their lives.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
So clearly this is all pretty terrible, but I'll say one thing. Even though it's only a very small percentage of our functioning government who put together this report, you have to at least have a tinge of hope that there are people in the government who put in the work to get this out. You know that there couldn't have been many people actively helping them, and poo poo, it's gotta be hard to work on something like this when about 99% of everyone you work with/for doesn't want you to do it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
John Yoo should be executed.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

On the White House lawn, live.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The more I read, the more I wonder if this is the next Watergate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

District Selectman posted:

So clearly this is all pretty terrible, but I'll say one thing. Even though it's only a very small percentage of our functioning government who put together this report, you have to at least have a tinge of hope that there are people in the government who put in the work to get this out. You know that there couldn't have been many people actively helping them, and poo poo, it's gotta be hard to work on something like this when about 99% of everyone you work with/for doesn't want you to do it.

Well, I'd take more hope if it weren't that the only reason this all came out is, as best I can tell, because the CIA was dumb enough to get into a pissing match with the Senate Intelligence Committee.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You're cute.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

You're cute.

Yeah, it seems optimistic, but keep in mind that Watergate did not start off as anything major at all. It took years to simmer and right up until the end, it didn't appear anything would come of it.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Chamale posted:

Throughout our history, the United States of America has done more than any other nation to stand up for freedom, democracy, and the inherent dignity and human rights of people around the world. The CIA used its enhanced interrogation techniques despite warnings from CIA medical personnel. Since the horrific attacks of 9/11, these public servants have worked tirelessly to devastate core al Qaeda, deliver justice to Osama bin Laden, disrupt terrorist operations and thwart terrorist attacks. CIA officers also threatened at least three detainees with harm to their families— to include threats to harm the children of a detainee, threats to sexually abuse the mother of a detainee, and a threat to "cut [a detainee's] mother's throat". Our intelligence professionals are patriots, and we are safer because of their heroic service and sacrifices.

In the years after 9/11, with legitimate fears of further attacks and with the responsibility to prevent more catastrophic loss of life, the previous administration faced agonizing choices about how to pursue al Qaeda and prevent additional terrorist attacks against our country. Interrogation techniques such as slaps and "wallings" (slamming detainees against a wall) were used in combination, frequently concurrent with sleep deprivation and nudity. At the same time, some of the actions that were taken were contrary to our values. The use of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques was not an effective means of obtaining accurate information or gaining detainee cooperation.

Today’s report by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence details one element of our nation’s response to 9/11—the CIA’s detention and interrogation program, which I formally ended on one of my first days in office. Some of the plots that the CIA claimed to have "disrupted" as a result of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques were assessed by intelligence and law enforcement officials as being infeasible or ideas that were never operationalized. Moreover, these techniques did significant damage to America’s standing in the world and made it harder to pursue our interests with allies and partners. CIA officers (including personnel not trained in interrogation) could, at their discretion, strip a detainee naked, shackle him in the standing position for up to 72 hours, and douse the detainee repeatedly with cold water—without approval from CIA Headquarters.

As Commander in Chief, I have no greater responsibility than the safety and security of the American people. [CIA Officer 1] ordered that Gul Rahman be shackled to the wall of his cell in a position that required the detainee to rest on the bare concrete floor. That is why I have consistently supported the declassification of today’s report. The next day, the guards found Gul Rahman's dead body. But one of the strengths that makes America exceptional is our willingness to openly confront our past, face our imperfections, make changes and do better. Later, during the course of al-Nashiri's debriefings, while he was blindfolded, [CIA Officer 2] placed a pistol near al-Nashiri's head and operated acordless drill near al-Nashiri's body. Today is also a reminder that upholding the values we profess doesn’t make us weaker, it makes us stronger and that the United States of America will remain the greatest force for freedom and human dignity that the world has ever known.

We need a new Hate Baking thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

There won't be any more Watergates.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Barlow posted:

The full report is 6,700 pages. The general public has only been given a fraction of the full report. This is piecemeal damage control. Future generations will probably just shrug their shoulders. "Yeah, america was hosed up back then...Vice President Dick Cheney used to hang out at the COBALT site and masturbate furiously."

On with the Imperium.

E;
"Hey Ambassador, don't tell the locals about this".

"Hey Locals, don't tell the Embassy about this".

prepare for some rectal and bondage play with Dick Chainy :unsmigghh:

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 10, 2014

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SedanChair posted:

I'd be willing to compromise for "tried under Nuremberg principles, found guilty, sentenced to death, have sentence changed to life in prison on humanitarian grounds, let out of prison once medical professionals determine he's about to die anyway". We have room for this fucker in the prison in Scheveningen where we put the other war criminals and I'd be so loving happy paying my taxes every year knowing it's funding this fucks imprisonment you'd have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

The full report is 6,700 pages. The general public has only been given a fraction of the full report. This is piecemeal damage control. Future generations will probably just shrug their shoulders. "Yeah, america was hosed up back then...Vice President Dick Cheney used to hang out at the COBALT site and masturbate furiously."

On with the Imperium.

200 years from now, the space-blogs of the space-future will be filled with people posting at each other about how President [it's actually hard to think of a less likely Presidential Name than Barack Hussein Obama] may be bad, but at least she isn't a torturer!

• Locked thread