Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

I'd be willing to compromise for "tried under Nuremberg principles, found guilty, sentenced to death, have sentence changed to life in prison on humanitarian grounds, let out of prison once medical professionals determine he's about to die anyway". We have room for this fucker in the prison in Scheveningen where we put the other war criminals and I'd be so loving happy paying my taxes every year knowing it's funding this fucks imprisonment you'd have no idea.

Compelling, but I want to see his smooth, fat head drop into a basket. Your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

There won't be any more Watergates.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

rscott posted:

"Telling the truth is a form of accountability" Jesus loving Christ

This monologue kept popping up in my head with this "truth absolves us" garbage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiqZemVpsQ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Compelling, but I want to see his smooth, fat head drop into a basket. Your thoughts?

The national psychodrama of the past few months has been America's abandonment of the rule of law. It's important that legal accountability be restored. Nuremberg is the only legitimate response. Since we won't, I hope he travels outside of the country and some other nation does what has to be done.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

District Selectman posted:

The more I read, the more I wonder if this is the next Watergate.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm not sure if the public has enough... (focus? outrage?) in them to push the media and the politicians to Watergate-level levels of coverage/shame/importance anymore.

I'm not even speaking specifically about this scandal. Just that wondering if some story will be 'the next Watergate' strikes me as wondering which new band is going to be the next Beatles or Michael Jackson, or which late night host will gain the same cachet of Johnny Carson, without considering that we have more than 4 broadcast channels now, so no matter how big you get, most people are in their own bubbles and you're missing that critical mass of "the world is watching" attention. It just seems too easy for stuff like this to blow over since the media will need a new story lest they start losing viewership/mouse clicks.

I'll concede that I'm not old enough to have lived through Watergate, so maybe I have a misguided sense of how much your average person on the street knew about it or was outraged about it. It seems like it would have been more difficult to ignore stuff like this in days where you couldn't immerse yourself in Netflixing 6 seasons of Mad Men -- even if you turned to TV it would have been in your face, whereas you can totally ignore news entirely these days.

edit:

SedanChair posted:

There won't be any more Watergates.

More succinctly, this. I'm not sure if SedanChair agrees with my reasoning on why, however.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 10, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Watergate happened because people still believed the government was ultimately good and righteous and just. Noone believes that anymore (partially thanks to Watergate, ironically enough) so no, there will not be another Watergate.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Actually I'm pretty sure Watergate was a big deal because the victims were powerful US politicians. That's the only reason it was unacceptable.

There is basically no crime the government can't get away with, so long as the victims aren't powerful. Case in point; millions of average people are under unwarranted surveillance, and nobody in power gives a poo poo. But the when it came to light that the NSA was also tapping the German PM, people lost their poo poo and Obama was forced to back off.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I like the torture report because it's caused all the trolls on reddit to shut the gently caress up about how voting and writing to your congressman changes things, and that it's today's low political participation rate that's driving all the awful stuff that's getting rammed down our throats. Perhaps they, too, have embraced the sweet kiss of accelerationism.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SedanChair posted:

John Yoo should be executed.

where is the deterrent or rehabilitative benefit in that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NYT still refusing to use the word "torture" seemingly. Even the USA Today has the word "torture" in the headline.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ActusRhesus posted:

where is the deterrent or rehabilitative benefit in that?

don't facilitate torture or you might get executed. sounds like a good deterrent to me!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nah, that would lead to a chilling effect on pro-torture legal arguments.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Condiv posted:

don't facilitate torture or you might get executed. sounds like a good deterrent to me!

but Sedan Chair, elsewhere, is arguing that violent criminals should be left to "abide in rehabilitative treatment centers" and anyone who supports the idea of retributive punishment is a "bloodthirsty savage."

Seems a bit of a departure here, what with all the "off with his head."

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

NYT still refusing to use the word "torture" seemingly. Even the USA Today has the word "torture" in the headline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/us/politics/overseas-torture-report-prompts-calls-for-prosecution.html

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/09/world/cia-torture-report-key-points.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah I didnt see that on the front page at Dunkin Donuts this morning.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
if john yoo were executed he'd give a smug smirk and sarcastic quip before the blade dropped anyway

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Execution is an enhanced rehabilitative technique.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

Nah, that would lead to a chilling effect on pro-torture legal arguments.

You know, every day I wake up and think "You know, we need more pro-torture legal arguments. Torture, like rape, gets the short end of the stick".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rkajdi posted:

You know, every day I wake up and think "You know, we need more pro-torture legal arguments. Torture, like rape, gets the short end of the stick".

Publish or perish. It's tough on law school campuses these days.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Devil posted:

I'd be willing to compromise for "tried under Nuremberg principles, found guilty, sentenced to death, have sentence changed to life in prison on humanitarian grounds, let out of prison once medical professionals determine he's about to die anyway". We have room for this fucker in the prison in Scheveningen where we put the other war criminals and I'd be so loving happy paying my taxes every year knowing it's funding this fucks imprisonment you'd have no idea.

I like the idea of not executing great men for their crimes. However, history tells us we are piss poor at actually keeping these people imprisoned forever. Since we're talking about "ridiculous human rights violations against Muslims" I offer up Vlad the Impaler. He was let back into power twice, all because coward poo poo Europeans were willing to allow the commission of genocide if it saved their worthless hides.

I'd love if we could come up with a punishment against great men that actually worked and would stick. I have a hard time coming up with one that doesn't require constant vigilance and state co-operation.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SedanChair posted:

I'm principally against the death penalty but my level of caring for war criminals is pretty low so uh, whatever I guess?

euphronius posted:

All the news fit to print.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ActusRhesus posted:

but Sedan Chair, elsewhere, is arguing that violent criminals should be left to "abide in rehabilitative treatment centers" and anyone who supports the idea of retributive punishment is a "bloodthirsty savage."

Seems a bit of a departure here, what with all the "off with his head."

he's right, retributive punishment is the realm of bloodthirsty savages. if sedan chair was wanting true retributive punishment, he would say that john yoo should be chained in a dank cell filled with an unholy din and a dearth of light, waterboarded and rectally fed for 10 years, and then killed while being beaten to death.

the punishment he prescribed was much more lenient than john yoo deserves, and shows much more leniency than john yoo and the people he enabled showed the innocent

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Condiv posted:

he's right, retributive punishment is the realm of bloodthirsty savages. if sedan chair was wanting true retributive punishment, he would say that john yoo should be chained in a dank cell filled with an unholy din and a dearth of light, waterboarded and rectally fed for 10 years, and then killed while being beaten to death.

the punishment he prescribed was much more lenient than john yoo deserves, and shows much more leniency than john yoo and the people he enabled showed the innocent

the punishment was much more lenient than yoo deserves...

you realize that is a textbook retributivist philosophy statement.

I'm beginning to think none of you actually know what retributive sentencing philosophy actually means.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We don't care if powerful wealthy international war criminals who tortured and executed innocent people and try to justify it by lying to us get rehabilitated hth

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ActusRhesus posted:

the punishment was much more lenient than yoo deserves...

you realize that is a textbook retributivist philosophy statement.

I'm beginning to think none of you actually know what retributive sentencing philosophy actually means.

It is more lenient that Yoo deserves. I think the point is we all get better than we deserve.

I'm totally fine with a punishment for Yoo (and the rest of the torture crew all the way to the top) that would remove their ability to have any control over society and actually stick. Executions always stick, the best you can do is get revenge afterwards. Again, show me another punishment that will actually work and stick and I'm all for it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

We don't care if powerful wealthy international war criminals who tortured and executed innocent people and try to justify it by lying to us get rehabilitated hth

Fair point. Please relay that the Sedan Chair who seems to think retribution is never valid philosophy. Except for the times when he does.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Rhesus, since you're going to get your negative attention either way, I'll just go ahead and say this. You are an evil, malignant mockery of everything that humanity is supposed to be. Your continued existence actively makes the world a worse place, and people like you are a large part of why this report ever came to exist. You might think the rest of us are weak for caring about other human beings, but that reflects on something wrong with you, not us. You are what's wrong with America. You are what's wrong with humanity. And no matter what you say or do, after you pass away you will have nothing. You will cease to exist, and the only evidence you ever lived will be a world that is worse off.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Rhesus, since you're going to get your negative attention either way, I'll just go ahead and say this. You are an evil, malignant mockery of everything that humanity is supposed to be. Your continued existence actively makes the world a worse place, and people like you are a large part of why this report ever came to exist. You might think the rest of us are weak for caring about other human beings, but that reflects on something wrong with you, not us. You are what's wrong with America. You are what's wrong with humanity. And no matter what you say or do, after you pass away you will have nothing. You will cease to exist, and the only evidence you ever lived will be a world that is worse off.

so supporting prison sentences for murder = supporting anal hummus smoothies.

Got it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
frankly not prosecuting individuals involved in this makes sense, if obama indicted a single one the CIA would probably disappear his dog

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

frankly not prosecuting individuals involved in this makes sense, if obama indicted a single one the CIA would probably disappear his dog

you give the CIA too much credit. seriously, they would gently caress that up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

you give the CIA too much credit. seriously, they would gently caress that up.

Yes, they would rape the dog and claim it had it coming.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

An Angry Bug posted:

Rhesus has a good point though, and I also really dont think its okay to have the likes of Yoo summarily tortured or killed. They should be turned over to a (foreign) court to face prison time imo; no one here is arguing such that the perpetrators shouldn't be punished.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
An unknown number of dogs, Portugese and otherwise, would have gotten raped, tortured and killed by the CIA or third parties in service of the CIA. Evidence that very serious people would claim was compelling would be presented to the UN showing Portugal to be a rogue terrorist state that must be invaded. Bombing would commence shortly, within a few years, Brazil would be invaded for good measure.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

An unknown number of dogs, Portugese and otherwise, would have gotten raped, tortured and killed by the CIA or third parties in service of the CIA. Evidence that very serious people would claim was compelling would be presented to the UN showing Portugal to be a rogue terrorist state that must be invaded. Bombing would commence shortly, within a few years, Brazil would be invaded for good measure.

again?

Should I purchase stock in Ford?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ActusRhesus posted:

Got it.

You're a disingenuous prick, hth.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Apologies if this has been mentioned here, but I didn't see it:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just in case you were worried that Obama hasn't been doing anything to bring those involved to justice, Obama HAS jailed someone connected to the CIA's torture program. (You'll never guess who! :mmmsmug:)

Anyone know if he named someone in relation to the torture program? It's implied but not stated.

e: nevermind, a linked story says 'yes'.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

eviltastic posted:

Apologies if this has been mentioned here, but I didn't see it:

Anyone know if he named someone in relation to the torture program? It's implied but not stated.

e: nevermind, a linked story says 'yes'.

*sad trombone*

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I don't think that folks should be executed for this, they should be imprisoned. For the rest of their lives.

In a non-torturous prison.

You have to realize that if you have a stance against the death penalty, and for prison reform, you are arguing on behalf of the bad people as well as the good.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing will happen to them and everyone in this thread knows it and pointing out that our rhetoric is heated only distracts from that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Got it.

Well, when you consider what the US prison system's like, it's honestly not that far off.

Fox does make a compelling argument about this whole torture thing, though.

• Locked thread