Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Iny posted:

So, what are people's guesses on the DLC's "new game mode that will almost double the amount of things you can do"?

Arena mode or something similarly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
All floors are XL floors, do the same number of floors despite that.

Which would make the game super easy since you would be swimming in pickups by the tough floors.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sloober posted:

All floors are XL floors, do the same number of floors despite that.

I would unironically love a challenge/seed that did that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I would unironically love a challenge/seed that did that.

A seed sure but the challenge would, really, not qualify as a challenge given that many pickups would make it super easy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sloober posted:

A seed sure but the challenge would, really, not qualify as a challenge given that many pickups would make it super easy.

As if Good with Computers and Slow Roll really count as challenges? :v:

Or make it Purist 2.0 and have no item rooms in those XL floors.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this makes me wonder, can special seeds show up randomly?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I want to see a D4 challenge. You can't replace it, and it automatically activates every time it has a charge. Think your loadouts good? You got six rooms to make it to the boss. Also, don't pick up batteries.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Davincie posted:

this makes me wonder, can special seeds show up randomly?

I don't see why not but the odds are probably insanely low given the number of permutations for the seed generator.

Alkydere posted:

As if Good with Computers and Slow Roll really count as challenges? :v:

Or make it Purist 2.0 and have no item rooms in those XL floors.

That is pretty true.

Heffer posted:

I want to see a D4 challenge. You can't replace it, and it automatically activates every time it has a charge. Think your loadouts good? You got six rooms to make it to the boss. Also, don't pick up batteries.

Last time I had the D4 it broke and stripped all my items away after it triggered lord of the flies. Consecutive uses after that did nothing and I was locked to just the fly form with no special abilities.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There was also a challenge in the original Isaac that just started you out with Dr. Fetus (which was really strong back then). So yeah, challenges don't necessarily need to be challenging.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Power of Pecota posted:

Does anyone have a seed with an early Libra/Soy Milk? I want to try it out but when both items are absolute rear end without the other ehhhhh

From the Wiki page on Libra:

quote:

PC: FJGQ 16DZ (first floor treasure room not adjacent to spawn; second floor treasure room contains soy milk for synergy.)

Libra works really well with special items in general. It drastically reduces the charge time for Brimstone, Ipecac, Mutant Spider and Monstro's Lung without nerfing their damage too much.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sloober posted:

Last time I had the D4 it broke and stripped all my items away after it triggered lord of the flies. Consecutive uses after that did nothing and I was locked to just the fly form with no special abilities.

The D4 doesn't put the items it overwrites back into rotation so after it exhausts the pool it'll re-roll Breakfast forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

There was also a challenge in the original Isaac that just started you out with Dr. Fetus (which was really strong back then). So yeah, challenges don't necessarily need to be challenging.

Glass Cannon in Rebith starts you with Epic Fetus and is probably the easiest challenge of the lot.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

AnonSpore posted:

I was excited to use Dr. Fetus in this, but it's pretty bad if you get it first thing, which I have both times I've seen it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Glass Cannon in Rebith starts you with Epic Fetus and is probably the easiest challenge of the lot.

Glass Cannon is a blast and is one of my favorite challenges.

After a string of losses, it's fun sometimes to just roll over everything unopposed

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Justin_Brett posted:

I was excited to use Dr. Fetus in this, but it's pretty bad if you get it first thing, which I have both times I've seen it.

It's actually still great early on because having it lets you get every tinted treasure rock and every secret room when you're normally scrounging for bombs early on.

Then when you run into an actually hard boss you use your real bombs that you've been saving up on it.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 10, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can kill yourself pretty easily. Computer Savvy gives you a run winning combo off the bat, and you have full health.

e: Speaking of challenges, I just finished my last one! When Life Gives you Lemons gave me the most trouble, somehow. It just wasn't interesting like the others. Though Cat Got Your Tongue took a long time since constantly going WASDWASDWASD ended up hurting my wrist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Does the Book of Belial affect Mom's Knife at all? I could pick up Krampus' Head but I dunno. I'm Eve so I guess the devil deals are more important anyway.

TheModernAmerican posted:

You can kill yourself pretty easily. Computer Savvy gives you a run winning combo off the bat, and you have full health.

You can also kill pretty much everything else even easier. You may start with one heart, but nothing but bosses will survive a hit for quite a long time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does the Book of Belial affect Mom's Knife at all? I could pick up Krampus' Head but I dunno. I'm Eve so I guess the devil deals are more important anyway.

You can also kill pretty much everything else even easier. You may start with one heart, but nothing but bosses will survive a hit for quite a long time.

Belial will affect mom's knife, since damage increases work on it. Krampus's head on the other hand is a boss killer all on its own so I would probably get the head instead of book.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

You also get at least one guaranteed soul heart per floor by virtue of the Top Secret room, plus all that other stuff (free items by getting into every Retro Treasure room, free cash/items from regular Secret Rooms, free stuff from pots/mushrooms/skulls, one-shotting every enemy with your perfectly-controllable airstrikes, being able to do so from behind cover no matter where the enemy is...)

The skill-barrier of Family Man means you pretty much can't fail at Glass Cannon.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Spiffo posted:

You also get at least one guaranteed soul heart per floor by virtue of the Top Secret room, plus all that other stuff (free items by getting into every Retro Treasure room, free cash/items from regular Secret Rooms, free stuff from pots/mushrooms/skulls, one-shotting every enemy with your perfectly-controllable airstrikes, being able to do so from behind cover no matter where the enemy is...)

The skill-barrier of Family Man means you pretty much can't fail at Glass Cannon.

Wait how does one get one free guaranteed soul heart per Super Secret room?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Vic Boss posted:

Wait how does one get one free guaranteed soul heart per Super Secret room?

You don't. A Soul Heart is by no means guaranteed. You can also get a Sin Heart. Or a bunch of red hearts. Or something else. But the hearts are way more common it seems.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

IGgy IGsen posted:

You don't. A Soul Heart is by no means guaranteed. You can also get a Sin Heart. Or a bunch of red hearts. Or something else. But the hearts are way more common it seems.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

Oh yeah, I guess rarely it can contain a bunch of red hearts. But pretty much every time I ever go into the Super Secret room it's been a soul heart (either the blue or black variety).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spiffo posted:

Oh yeah, I guess rarely it can contain a bunch of red hearts. But pretty much every time I ever go into the Super Secret room it's been a soul heart (either the blue or black variety).

Even if what you were saying had some statistical basis, "most of the time, this happens" is a long long way from "every time, this happens".

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sometimes you start with Ludovico+20/20+hefty DMG and you still throw it all away for Epic Fetus. Why all these good things appeared on the same run, I'll never know.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cryohazard posted:

Arena mode or something similarly lovely.
Arena mode would be great. :mad:

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Looks like patch 1.031 is out

"Patch 1.031 posted:

Other than that, expect a lot of minor bugfixes and some balancing fixes.

Does anyone know where I could find out what those bugfixes and balancing fixes actually are, or will I just have to wait on the community to figure it out?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Even if what you were saying had some statistical basis, "most of the time, this happens" is a long long way from "every time, this happens".

I'll correct it: In addition to all the retro treasure rooms, free cash/items from regular secret rooms, free stuff from free stuff from pots/mushrooms/skulls, one-shotting every enemy with your perfectly-controllable airstrikes, being able to do so from behind cover no matter where the enemy is, MOST OF THE TIME you'll get a free soul heart which is yet another cool perk that makes Glass Cannon pretty easy.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Super Secret rooms can have:

- 5 pills
- 1 trinket
- 1 fortune telling machine
- 8 red hearts (with only red hearts spawnable in the room, such as if you have Dark Bum to exchange them, for example)
- 1 red chest
- 1 eternal heart
- 1 black heart (with only black hearts spawnable in the room, such as if you use The Lovers within).

Often worth going to the Super Secret in my opinion, but vanilla Secret is usually more worth it.

E: Also for what it's worth I think a trinket/item that makes tinted rocks more visible is a horrible idea. After you see a tinted rock variant in each of the levels, it is pretty easy to tell where they all are. Heck, even Womb now has x-marked clots.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

GenericGirlName posted:

Looks like patch 1.031 is out

Does anyone know where I could find out what those bugfixes and balancing fixes actually are, or will I just have to wait on the community to figure it out?
From Reddit:

quote:

Improve Steam Cloud sync
Fix random disconnect for Sony controllers
Fix crash on trinket pool reset
Fix Gemini + BFFS
Fix Technology 2 + Chocolate Milk
Eden's start items are seeded more reliably
Fix collectible spawn position for There's Options and Negative
Fix Holy Mantle continue exploit
Fix seed exploit for challenge runs
Fix hard mode affecting room drops other than hearts
Fix P2 blood donation exploit
Fix P2 anti-gravity
Fix P2 being able to use bombs
Fix Devil Deal exploit with half soul heart
Fix invincible Carrion Queen
Fix Blue Baby restart issue
Fix Haunt not invincible for the first few frames
Fix 60fps interpolation for Cube of Meat 2
Fix picked up item disappearing when exiting during pickup animation
Limit Halo of Flies count to 10
Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
Change Ticking Spider collision damage to half a heart
Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges
Improve Dark Bum mechanics

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's some known changes.

quote:

Improve Steam Cloud sync
Fix random disconnect for Sony controllers
Fix crash on trinket pool reset
Fix Gemini + BFFS
Fix Technology 2 + Chocolate Milk
Eden's start items are seeded more reliably
Fix collectible spawn position for There's Options and Negative
Fix Holy Mantle continue exploit
Fix seed exploit for challenge runs
Fix hard mode affecting room drops other than hearts

Fix P2 blood donation exploit
Fix P2 anti-gravity
Fix P2 being able to use bombs
Fix Devil Deal exploit with half soul heart
Fix invincible Carrion Queen
Fix Blue Baby restart issue
Fix Haunt not invincible for the first few frames
Fix 60fps interpolation for Cube of Meat 2
Fix picked up item disappearing when exiting during pickup animation
Limit Halo of Flies count to 10
Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
Change Ticking Spider collision damage to half a heart
Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges
Improve Dark Bum mechanics

Well I hope anyone that was trying to do The Lost wasn't reliant on the Holy Mantle.

^:argh:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
These changes all suck

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Xenogenesis posted:

From Reddit:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here's some known changes.

Well I hope anyone that was trying to do The Lost wasn't reliant on the Holy Mantle.

^:argh:

Thanks! I hope the "dark bum mechanics" one means that he can drop the correct kind of hearts in super secret rooms full of hearts.

EDIT: Yea other than that they all suck. I was enjoying the challenge + seed bug heh

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Xenogenesis posted:

From Reddit:

Excited for the Hard Mode drop rate change.

Scared of the Dark Bum mechanics change and what that may entail.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

GenericGirlName posted:

Thanks! I hope the "dark bum mechanics" one means that he can drop the correct kind of hearts in super secret rooms full of hearts.
At least it's fun to watch. Look at that little guy go! :kimchi:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

These changes all suck

I'll probably like the Hard Mode changes, but I really only play Isaac to pick up items.

Also D20 breaks actually working now objectively owns

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The flies halo limited to 10 probably means you wont be able to maintain a legion of flies between rooms. Changes suck.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
drat it, I was going to say that. I'm going to miss lasers spewing out tons of flies as Guppy. :sigh:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meh, any run where I'm able to amass more than 10 flies at a time has been one where I ran over everything anyway. Its' still 20 tear's worth of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Ed needs to stop listening to his fans about balance. I'm peeved that now I'm going to wear out my r key, because the item room has items not compatible with the lost.