Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

sebzilla posted:

What a fuelish thing to do.

certainly not 4-star behaviour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

ThomasPaine posted:

I live in a very studenty area and there's a little Tesco express just down the road from me. There's also a giant gently caress off Tesco fifteen minutes further down the road. The amount of cheap poo poo you can get from the little one out of term time is nuts, because no-one has any reason to use it above the big one unless they live in the immediate vicinity (a couple of streets and a gently caress off hall of residence). I've had more Finest pizzas for less than a quid (down from over a fiver) than I'd like to admit. On the negative side, I have a freezer stuffed full of toad in the hole ready meals because they had an entire fridge of them going to 10p each. Not sure when I'm ever going to get round to eating them.

The greatest evil about immigration is the lack of shared cultural understanding of reduced shelf etiquette at supermarkets.

I was at Tesco the other day when a guy there happened to bring out all the reduced food. Everyone pounced on it and started grabbing the stuff they wanted, but an old South Asian woman was just grabbing everything. It was only once the bargain bin had been emptied that she then went over what she'd grabbed and threw back the stuff she didn't want.

If she is that desperate for bargains she should have started a fist fight over a reduced pizza and got banned from the store like an old white guy I know. That's the British way and I can't stand these immigrants who refuse to integrate and accept core values of this nation.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The co-op, though initially expensive, start their discounts higher. They generally start with a 50% discount around midday and gets better from there.

I've been able to get some great products very cheap just going in early afternoon. I've no idea what the staff are like for anyone else, but the ones near me will also happy lower the prices further if you ask.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tsietisin posted:

I've been able to get some great products very cheap just going in early afternoon. I've no idea what the staff are like for anyone else, but the ones near me will also happy lower the prices further if you ask.

This reminds me of an idea I had for a restaurant where you haggle with the waiter to get the best deal for your meal. I tentatively call the concept 'Negotieat'.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

team overhead smash posted:

The greatest evil about immigration is the lack of shared cultural understanding of reduced shelf etiquette at supermarkets.

I was at Tesco the other day when a guy there happened to bring out all the reduced food. Everyone pounced on it and started grabbing the stuff they wanted, but an old South Asian woman was just grabbing everything. It was only once the bargain bin had been emptied that she then went over what she'd grabbed and threw back the stuff she didn't want.

If she is that desperate for bargains she should have started a fist fight over a reduced pizza and got banned from the store like an old white guy I know. That's the British way and I can't stand these immigrants who refuse to integrate and accept core values of this nation.

She sounds crafty and I think we all have a lot to learn from her

Tsietisin posted:

The co-op, though initially expensive, start their discounts higher. They generally start with a 50% discount around midday and gets better from there.

I simply don't have the balls to haggle in a supermarket as if it was some middle eastern bazaar. Does this actually work often or do you just have intensely laid back staff at the shop?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
you people are impressively dedicated to your supermarket bargain hunting, i must say

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

This reminds me of an idea I had for a restaurant where you haggle with the waiter to get the best deal for your meal. I tentatively call the concept 'Negotieat'.

You didnt have the idea for this. I did and frankly I'd like you to stop your habit of claiming my ideas as your own.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

you people are impressively dedicated to your supermarket bargain hunting, i must say

Nothing tastes better than good value.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pissflaps posted:

Nothing tastes better than good value.

Did you miss the discussion of Biscoff?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
There was a discussion of Biscoff? That stuff is loving evil.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I simply don't have the balls to haggle in a supermarket as if it was some middle eastern bazaar. Does this actually work often or do you just have intensely laid back staff at the shop?

I used to work in a supermarket and when people from abroad tried to haggle I would give them a travel sized pack of polo mints for free. People from haggle-heavy cultures become loyal for life customers if you do this One Weird Tip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

You really need to go for a curry down Brick Lane, there's about 40 of them working on that principle. Managed to get a guy down from 15 quid per person for a three course meal, no drinks included, to 10 quid per person with two bottles of Cobra each.

(Of course you're not really actually haggling because 10 quid a head with a drink or two is what every single one of them charges, the only difference between them is how outrageous their opening gambit is to make you feel like you've got a real bargain)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sebzilla posted:

Did you miss the discussion of Biscoff?

I'd quite like to try:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I like how we went from outrageous health problems to biscuit based spreads the wrong way round.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I'd quite like to try:

30 years after I stopped licking the middle out of custard creams and throwing away the biscuits they bring this poo poo out?

Wankers!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'd quite like to try:

wanna buy this poo poo and spread it on shortbread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
christ almighty that poo poo looks loving repugnant

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So the biggest loser at PMQs today was Andy Burnham. Clegg laid into him for being, and I quote, "the only man to privatise an NHS hospital" – i.e. Hinchingbrooke. After PMQs Burnham tried to raise a point of order claiming that at the time of the 2010 election, there was still an NHS bidder in competition… at which point, Julian Huppert rose and asked which of Serco, Ramsey, and Circle was "the NHS bidder".

More or less, though, it was a win for Harman when Clegg dodged her questions on the the coalition's effect on women.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Junkfood protip: rustlers quarterpounder sauce tastes identical to big mac sauce and saves £££s compared to mcdonalds

Holding out hope they'll start selling it by the tub so I can just use it on burgers I make myself

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

So the biggest loser at PMQs today was Andy Burnham. Clegg laid into him for being, and I quote, "the only man to privatise an NHS hospital" – i.e. Hinchingbrooke. After PMQs Burnham tried to raise a point of order claiming that at the time of the 2010 election, there was still an NHS bidder in competition… at which point, Julian Huppert rose and asked which of Serco, Ramsey, and Circle was "the NHS bidder".

More or less, though, it was a win for Harman when Clegg dodged her questions on the the coalition's effect on women.

Nick Clegg has no spine but brass loving balls

JFairfax posted:

christ almighty that poo poo looks loving repugnant

you'd think so. Everytime I eat biscoff I forget it, then I see it and think "that looks like loving caramel grease, how could I have eaten it? what does it taste like?"

Then the crunch arrives and I put it down and go do something else to forget the sweet temptation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ThomasPaine posted:

Junkfood protip: rustlers quarterpounder sauce tastes identical to big mac sauce and saves £££s compared to mcdonalds

Holding out hope they'll start selling it by the tub so I can just use it on burgers I make myself

You can buy 'burger sauce' in bottles.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
who the gently caress needs a tub of custard cream spread.

this sort of person that's who

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Please keep your selfies to instagram and facebook and off the forums, thanks

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

Nick Clegg has no spine but brass loving balls

Yeah, Burnham looked like he absolutely wanted to murder Clegg.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

You can buy 'burger sauce' in bottles.

Not the same no good

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
serious gaylord, post your shopping list and cooking schedule.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pissflaps posted:

A dangerous idea. I'm very Scottish with my money. My hunger for good prices goes way beyond my tolerance of social embarassment or actual hunger. I will starve THEM out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pissflaps posted:

He was cutting the petrol pump pipes to get to it. The garage owners were fuming.
A crude plan, but effective

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

JFairfax posted:

please don't doxx me tia

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

He was cutting the petrol pump pipes to get to it. The garage owners were fuming.

did he end up appearing before court?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I should hope he got both barrels

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wow, so many posts I wonder wh

Oh. Food chat. But made up for with fuel-related puns.

What a gas.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

check your non-stoned privilege please.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

serious gaylord, post your shopping list and cooking schedule.

Well I mean from memory

Noodles
1kg broccolli
1 Cucumber
4 tomatoes
1kg cauliflower
Carrots
Parsnips
pack of green beans and baby corn
sack of potatoes
4 Turkey thighs
2 Gammon Steaks
Buy one get one free Back Bacon rashers.
2 small beef steaks
Roast Chicken
2 packs of honey roast ham slices
6 eggs
chocolate biscuits
8 yoghurts
2 frozen pizzas
Mccain french fries
8 Tortillas
2 Loaves of medium white bread.

Came to £44 this week since i'd run out of chips and potatoes which normally last me 2 weeks.

That will do the lazy pizza night on monday, Fajitas on tuesday, gammon steak wednesday, stew on thursday and steak and chips on Friday. Stir Fry on Saturday and a roast dinner on Sunday. Left over from the chicken will go either into a pie or into sandwiches next week.

Lunches are covered there too since the biggest waste on finances is not taking a packed lunch to work.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Well I mean from memory

Noodles
1kg broccolli
1 Cucumber
4 tomatoes
1kg cauliflower
Carrots
Parsnips
pack of green beans and baby corn
sack of potatoes
4 Turkey thighs
2 Gammon Steaks
Buy one get one free Back Bacon rashers.
2 small beef steaks
Roast Chicken
2 packs of honey roast ham slices
6 eggs
chocolate biscuits
8 yoghurts
2 frozen pizzas
Mccain french fries
8 Tortillas
2 Loaves of medium white bread.

Came to £44 this week since i'd run out of chips and potatoes which normally last me 2 weeks.

That will do the lazy pizza night on monday, Fajitas on tuesday, gammon steak wednesday, stew on thursday and steak and chips on Friday. Stir Fry on Saturday and a roast dinner on Sunday. Left over from the chicken will go either into a pie or into sandwiches next week.

Lunches are covered there too since the biggest waste on finances is not taking a packed lunch to work.

Tortillas are a bourgeois frivolity

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh I forgot sour cream.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThomasPaine posted:

not if ur in mexico.

check ur white european privilege

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is the weirdest loving thread

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

la nueva burguesía

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

serious gaylord posted:

I spend about £40 a week on food for 2 people and I eat very well because I plan ahead and make multiple use of items. I also dont waste money on poo poo like dominoes or Mcdonalds/Burger king.

You're not alone. I do the same. (Well, except for the occasional rare dominos treat which there's nothing wrong with.) Averages out at about £20 each for 8 or nine days' worth of meals for 2 people as well. I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from managing to stretch one items over 2 or 3 meals (you can make, separately, jacket potatoes, quesadillas and soup if you get one bag of sweet potatoes). If I didn't plan all out all our meals like that I know we'd be spending so much more. I also couldn't cook a single thing before I got married and had to learn it all via cookbooks, internet and my husband so I guess it's definitely possible to learn how to cook from no knowledge whatsoever.

However, I absolutely understand how people don't have the time to cook something from fresh every night. If we had kids or if I didn't work from home half the week, I have no idea how I'd have the time or energy to cook at all.

Serious gaylord, did you mention what supermarket you shop at? If it's not too cheeky to ask

• Locked thread